Opening and Closing

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Opening and Closing

Postby Craig » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:55 pm

That Elias Brother's was the scene of the crime: wife of the WSU prof got her fatal dose there, right? Word was that the grad student with whom he was sleeping was either complicit or the inspiration. Anyway, it's history.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Toolbox » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:15 am

89X closes American office, cuts morning show

Windsor-based alternative rock station 89X (CIMX-FM) has closed its American office and is cutting several members of its on-air staff, effective immediately.

The cuts were part of a larger restructuring at Bell Media, which runs 89X, 93.9 the River (CIDR-FM), Memories 580 (CKWW-AM), and AM 800 (CKLW-AM). The four stations will retain their current formats and their signals will continue to carry into the Detroit market, according to Bell Media news director Matthew Garrow.

“Cal and Co.,” 89X’s morning show, aired its last broadcast on Thursday morning. Host Cal Cagno tweeted Thursday afternoon, “I no longer work at 89X. After 18 years..it’s over. I hope to be back on the air soon but if not...thanks to the listeners for a great run.”

I would rather listen to music than a bunch of idiots talking. Or a DJ that actually knows about music. CBC Radio 2 is still my go to for drive time and most other times...
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Dave Chappelle is returning to Detroit next month...

...motherfucker's got some balls, I have to say
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Just for nostalgia's sake, the Red Wings should conduct a surprise fire drill tonight, if only to show anyone who's ever been to Joe Louis Arena just how fucking dead they'd be if there ever was any kind of large-scale disaster there. What a poorly designed deathtrap.
I mostly went there for work and really can only think of about five or six times I went as a paying customer or as someone's guest. I'll most remember the poor dudes who had to work the doors at street level. One night a woman leaving a suite was stopped and told she could not take the half-drunk fifths of liquor out of the suite with her. She caused such a scene she was arrested.
Another time, an older couple appeared a bit lost and were profusely apologizing to the guy at the door, who waved them over to an elevator to take them up to the concourse. "Don't worry about it," the big dude kept telling the old lady. "You're not being a problem at all. That's why I didn't tackle you."

Kind of neat how metro Detroit is home to one of the last arenas built with little more than unlocking the doors and playing the game in mind and one of the first to incorporate the myriad creature comforts and premium-ticket perks we've come to expect.

Oddly enough, both the Joe and the Palace will not host a hockey or basketball game next season. Weird.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Beav » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14 pm

SR pointed out to me that they are 2 of the few (Wrigley? Madison Square Garden?) stadiums to not to be named after a business.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 am

The Beav wrote:SR pointed out to me that they are 2 of the few (Wrigley? Madison Square Garden?) stadiums to not to be named after a business.

Let's see:
Wrigley Field
Fenway Park
Yankee Stadium
Dodger Stadium
Nationals Park
Marlins Park

Madison Square Garden

Lambeau Field
Soldier Field

Too lazy to look it up, but I think that's about it.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Morty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Just for nostalgia's sake, the Red Wings should conduct a surprise fire drill tonight, if only to show anyone who's ever been to Joe Louis Arena just how fucking dead they'd be if there ever was any kind of large-scale disaster there. What a poorly designed deathtrap.
I mostly went there for work and really can only think of about five or six times I went as a paying customer or as someone's guest. I'll most remember the poor dudes who had to work the doors at street level. One night a woman leaving a suite was stopped and told she could not take the half-drunk fifths of liquor out of the suite with her. She caused such a scene she was arrested.
Another time, an older couple appeared a bit lost and were profusely apologizing to the guy at the door, who waved them over to an elevator to take them up to the concourse. "Don't worry about it," the big dude kept telling the old lady. "You're not being a problem at all. That's why I didn't tackle you."

Kind of neat how metro Detroit is home to one of the last arenas built with little more than unlocking the doors and playing the game in mind and one of the first to incorporate the myriad creature comforts and premium-ticket perks we've come to expect.

Oddly enough, both the Joe and the Palace will not host a hockey or basketball game next season. Weird.

As an old fart who remembers, and treasures the memories of going to games at Olympia Stadium, good riddance to bad trash.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Morty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Today has been a real eye-opener on a couple of closing fronts, two long time places I have done business with for decades are out of business, or completely changed business and I found out by showing up at their doors today. Had a run of errands today, and thought "I'll stop at RS electronics in Livonia and pick up some supplies for my side hustle" Got there, found out that they have been bought out by a big multi-nat corporation, no more consumer store. I first went to RS in 1975, when they were on Lyndon near Wyoming.
Then I went to go to J&J Carburetor on 7 mile near Southfield. All gone, building up for sale. J&J was owned run by a woman who knew carburetors like no one else. She was (hope still is) a tough lady, in a tough business, in a tough part of town. Now I'm looking at sending my carb to Florida to a shop recommended by Daytona Carb kit. I was trying to keep it local.
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Morty wrote:Today has been a real eye-opener on a couple of closing fronts, two long time places I have done business with for decades are out of business, or completely changed business and I found out by showing up at their doors today. Had a run of errands today, and thought "I'll stop at RS electronics in Livonia and pick up some supplies for my side hustle" Got there, found out that they have been bought out by a big multi-nat corporation, no more consumer store. I first went to RS in 1975, when they were on Lyndon near Wyoming.
Then I went to go to J&J Carburetor on 7 mile near Southfield. All gone, building up for sale. J&J was owned run by a woman who knew carburetors like no one else. She was (hope still is) a tough lady, in a tough business, in a tough part of town. Now I'm looking at sending my carb to Florida to a shop recommended by Daytona Carb kit. I was trying to keep it local.

I hope that I'm doing you a favor by saying this: throw that goddamn carb in the trash. They've got this thing now that they call fuel injection and with it your car will start every damn time.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Morty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Craig wrote:
Morty wrote:Today has been a real eye-opener on a couple of closing fronts, two long time places I have done business with for decades are out of business, or completely changed business and I found out by showing up at their doors today. Had a run of errands today, and thought "I'll stop at RS electronics in Livonia and pick up some supplies for my side hustle" Got there, found out that they have been bought out by a big multi-nat corporation, no more consumer store. I first went to RS in 1975, when they were on Lyndon near Wyoming.

I hope that I'm doing you a favor by saying this: throw that goddamn carb in the trash. They've got this thing now that they call fuel injection and with it your car will start every damn time.

Yeah--NO. I roll original.
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Toolbox » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am

Morty wrote:
Craig wrote:

Yeah--NO. I roll original.

Is this for the Chevy II? Go see Barry at Survival Motorsports in Commerce Twp. if he can't do it he will know who can locally. Just tell him you know Hattner!

http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/index.html
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Morty » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Drove by Northwestern Hwy and 12 mile rd, they just demolished the building that was Excalibur for decades. The ghost of Bill Bonds is sad.
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Morty wrote:Drove by Northwestern Hwy and 12 mile rd, they just demolished the building that was Excalibur for decades. The ghost of Bill Bonds is sad.

I believe that's also where Gary Moeller's Michigan coaching career ended.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Morty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:34 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Morty wrote:Drove by Northwestern Hwy and 12 mile rd, they just demolished the building that was Excalibur for decades. The ghost of Bill Bonds is sad.

I believe that's also where Gary Moeller's Michigan coaching career ended.

I was fond of the place. Mrs. Morty and I had a very nice New Year's eve dinner there a couple of times, and some other great meals. Frank Sinatra loved their ribs, and was known to have them overnighted to him. They must have reheated well.
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:30 am

It's said that Amazon and the internet is killing retail. Having literally every product under the sun viewable on a screen and with favorable pricing, well, it feels like tired old brick and mortar cannot compete. So, once you leave out breadth of selection and unbeatable prices the traditional malls must bank on the thrill of actually shopping to attract customers. You know, the modern equivalent of strolling through the public square, swimming through streams of humanity and counteracting loneliness. Something like that.

But then something like this (below) goes down and you have to wonder eventually who will willing go to the mall to actually shop. Go to strut and do some wilding, maybe, but these kinds of incidents feel like a protracted tipping point for malls, moving them from areas of commerce and into increasingly empty caverns to be avoided by people who don't want to be in the line of fire of group fights and smash & grab robberies.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/brawl-at-orange-park-mallinvolved-up-to-60-people-clay-county-sheriffs-office-says/515646161
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion