Hot Fudge Reporting Back

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Mulligan wrote:Two-plus-hour commute this morning for what was little more than a dusting of snow. What is this, Atlanta?

No kidding. An unprecedented display of ineptitude. I knew it was not going to get better when at 8 AM I rolled by the traffic billboard across from Chrysler and read that the 20 miles to 8 Mile would take 90 minutes. I bet that the boys at MDOT were shitting their pants in fear of the sign catching fire or falling over if the estimated time were to reach three digits.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Putski » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Craig wrote:
Mulligan wrote:Two-plus-hour commute this morning for what was little more than a dusting of snow. What is this, Atlanta?

No kidding. An unprecedented display of ineptitude. I knew it was not going to get better when at 8 AM I rolled by the traffic billboard across from Chrysler and read that the 20 miles to 8 Mile would take 90 minutes. I bet that the boys at MDOT were shitting their pants in fear of the sign catching fire or falling over if the estimated time were to reach three digits.

Ha...I kinda have learned to like these stories. Not because of your misery but it reminds of the thousands of times people have worried for me or inquired about my safety in what until very recently in most metro-regional circles would be called the hood. My commute was unaffected outside slowing of my walk down the sidewalk for safety. Of all the things that they say should scare me spending real time in a car on a daily basis tops the list.
Visionary Extrepreneur and Investor
Putski
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 am

Putski wrote:
Craig wrote:

Ha...I kinda have learned to like these stories. Not because of your misery but it reminds of the thousands of times people have worried for me or inquired about my safety in what until very recently in most metro-regional circles would be called the hood. My commute was unaffected outside slowing of my walk down the sidewalk for safety. Of all the things that they say should scare me spending real time in a car on a daily basis tops the list.

I get it and it makes sense. It's natural, I think, to seek confirmation of the wisdom of our choices and the goodness of our lot. I do the same thing -"enjoy" reports that confirm my decision to hit 8 Mile- because day-to-day reality isn't always rosey. Detroit as I knew it was a bastard of a place to live, and by skimming headlines or encountering yet another war crimes-like YouTube video I'm reassured that my decision to trade physical danger for a shitty drive was the right one.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Putski » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Craig wrote:
Putski wrote:
Craig wrote:

I get it and it makes sense. It's natural, I think, to seek confirmation of the wisdom of our choices and the goodness of our lot. I do the same thing -"enjoy" reports that confirm my decision to hit 8 Mile- because day-to-day reality isn't always rosey. Detroit as I knew it was a bastard of a place to live, and by skimming headlines or encountering yet another war crimes-like YouTube video I'm reassured that my decision to trade physical danger for a shitty drive was the right one.

Yeah that might sound like a Supersport circa 2007 blog post. The location of said point A and point B of life's daily grind wasn't really the point. I hear people all the time who sign up for these borderline long commutes on a perfect day then complain when it goes wrong. What I know for certain is that driving brings out the extremes in people. The stupid, aggressive or incapable all become more so. I want no part of that. I recognize that I am lucky to be able to pick both points A and B. Most have the option of picking at least one of them however.
Visionary Extrepreneur and Investor
Putski
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 am

Putski wrote:
Craig wrote:
Putski wrote:
Craig wrote:

Yeah that might sound like a Supersport circa 2007 blog post. The location of said point A and point B of life's daily grind wasn't really the point. I hear people all the time who sign up for these borderline long commutes on a perfect day then complain when it goes wrong. What I know for certain is that driving brings out the extremes in people. The stupid, aggressive or incapable all become more so. I want no part of that. I recognize that I am lucky to be able to pick both points A and B. Most have the option of picking at least one of them however.

Sounds like Facebook or the comment section at the Freep
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 am

Putski wrote: The location of said point A and point B of life's daily grind wasn't really the point.

I got that and I agreed: you spoke to the satisfaction you feel when the wisdom of your choices are confirmed, and I repeated the sentiment when applied to my own lot.

Being stuck in a jam can be aggravating for me because in my urban days there were always option, even if it meant exploiting the grid pattern and driving five miles through neighborhoods to get around a stalled freeway. Very cool.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Day 2 in Nashville, which is growing like a weed since the last time I visited.

My sis and her kids drove in from the eastern part of the state this morning and we visited Andrew Jackson's home, then the Johnny Cash Museum (not the tourist trap you might thing it would be). Nice to spend the afternoon with my nieces and nephew, who are on their way (it seems) to being the kind of teen-agers you wouldn't want to smother in their sleep.

Cross-post to the overheard thread: A couple of people in front of us in line to get into Jackson's house were local and talking about a house a friend of theirs just bought. One of them was amazed that it cost 'almost $300K' for a six-bedroom house on a hillside lot in a tony neighborhood outside the city.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Craig » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:48 am

Nashville: the only place in the US where I drive faster than everyone else on the freeway. Truly, people clipping along at maybe 45 wasn't uncommon in my visits.

At a prior job we partnered with a small website content firm operating out of a house on music row. Southern hippies with a dog laying beneath every desk a freezer full of ice cream. I have almost no love for country music which is too bad because they always wanted to load me down with comp CDs and crazy swag. I'd bring some home for my wife and friends. Somewhere around here is a copy of Willy Nelson's reggae CD and hanging in our laundry area is an autographed publicity shot of Dirks Bentley.

Natchez Trace parkway is a pretty ride if you need a break from kitsch and chicken.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 am

Finished a two-week road trip with very good chicken dinner (and derby pie ... where has this been all my life?) at the Cottage Inn in Louisville, followed by an awful, awful, awful drive from Louisville to northwest Indiana. There is nothing good about I-65 between those two places.

A few other highlights:
- The National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky., is a neat stop, even if you're not a Corvette enthusiast. To the staff's credit, they even made a new exhibit out of the sinkhole that caused so much trouble a few years ago. The wife made a good point: We were learning about the science of cave formation in the same state that contains a museum dedicated to creationism AND hosts a replica of Noah's ark.

- On our way down, we passed through Cincinnati and visited William Howard Taft's boyhood home. It's a neat house on a hill in a neat neighborhood, but the best part was the film about Taft's life. Dude packed a helluva lot of public service into his career.

- Did my best to eat my weight in seafood during a few days in New Orleans.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby pdtpuck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:48 pm

Me, a "mathphobe," getting a 94% in my stats class is beyond stupefying.
And now I've been accepted to both of the nursing schools in my area. Pros and cons to both.
My dachshunds dug up a rabbit's burrow and killed 2 of the 3 babies.
I'm ready for this semester to be over and have a fishing pole in the water until fall.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:29 am

pdtpuck wrote:Me, a "mathphobe," getting a 94% in my stats class is beyond stupefying.

There are couple of interesting things about stats. In the first place they're pretty easy by comparison to the pure "math" disciplines. This isn't to take away from the aforementioned accomplishment (congrats! revel in the fact that you've kicked the ass off of the beast) but the degree of theory and depth just isn't there and so it's an obvious solution for a non-Kaczynski type (pre-Unabomber days) who needs to cover off a "math" requirement. I know my limitations and this is exactly what I did. And for those among my children who do not have a gift for math I advise the same: go as far in algebra as you can manage and then top up your requirements with intro to stats/probability. Bonus: you'll be able to calculate the likelihood of winning the various lotteries and maybe even will know enough to call bullshit when numbers are misreprepresented in the press.

With a combination of stats skills, some business training, and demonstrable skills in statistical software (e.g. SAS, R, SPSS) there are real career opportunities that pay well and bring the bonus of working indoors and keeping one's hands clean. It's not for everyone, but on those frigid days when the snow removal service guys are slaving with shovels to clear a path to your office you'll be at your desk, snug with a cup of tea, and chatting with your pals about football, the last Alien movie, or where you'll go for lunch. Not a bad living.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby pdtpuck » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Craig wrote:
pdtpuck wrote:Me, a "mathphobe," getting a 94% in my stats class is beyond stupefying.

There are couple of interesting things about stats. In the first place they're pretty easy by comparison to the pure "math" disciplines. This isn't to take away from the aforementioned accomplishment (congrats! revel in the fact that you've kicked the ass off of the beast) but the degree of theory and depth just isn't there and so it's an obvious solution for a non-Kaczynski type (pre-Unabomber days) who needs to cover off a "math" requirement. I know my limitations and this is exactly what I did. And for those among my children who do not have a gift for math I advise the same: go as far in algebra as you can manage and then top up your requirements with intro to stats/probability. Bonus: you'll be able to calculate the likelihood of winning the various lotteries and maybe even will know enough to call bullshit when numbers are misreprepresented in the press.

With a combination of stats skills, some business training, and demonstrable skills in statistical software (e.g. SAS, R, SPSS) there are real career opportunities that pay well and bring the bonus of working indoors and keeping one's hands clean. It's not for everyone, but on those frigid days when the snow removal service guys are slaving with shovels to clear a path to your office you'll be at your desk, snug with a cup of tea, and chatting with your pals about football, the last Alien movie, or where you'll go for lunch. Not a bad living.

Thanks! But this is from a guy (me) that had to take Algebra three times just to get a "D." Fast forward 25 years to getting back into college last summer and Chemistry, of all things, made concepts foreign back then clear as a bell now. Older, more mature? I actually care what grade I get now? Who knows. But both my chemistry teacher and my stats teacher are the antithesis of Ben Stein's teacher character in FBDO, so these classes are actually fun AND educational! Maybe that's the twist. Anywho, I'm reveling in this as I've never felt accomplished in ANYTHING math-related, so this is akin to me winning a Nobel Prize! (Latest test score is an 86 out of 84. (Extra credit)).
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Previous

Return to General Discussion