Hot Fudge Reporting Back

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:39 pm

After 280K miles we replaces the front struts on the daily driver, now the kids' car. Feela good to be able to knock this out with what life has taught me and a handful of standard issue hand tools.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Craig » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Toolbox wrote:Met Yamar at KDTW for food and drinks 2 weeks back, we were both flying out about the same time. Shits expensive at the airport!! Drinks that expensive should have sports or naked women in front of you...

No joke: those money-grubbing prices in the airport see you coming. Actually, I'm sure that they know that there's plenty of expense me he cost of his account guys passing thr ought and for them money is no object. seven bucks for Sam Adams? Meh. I feel bad for people on vacation, and by that I mean the regular guy who saves his money for a big outting only to discover that he's getting bent over and screwed really hard the minute that he drives into the airport deck. One of my memorable outings on the expense account came at one of LaGuardia's infamous summer thunder storms. For whatever reason that place is haunted with them and they shutperjurything down. I was transiting to Boston and one flight was delayed after another until it was seven hours later that I crawled onto a flight. Ten beers and a plate of chicken wings came to bill so large that there was a ton of perjury once the expense report was written. Meanwhile the shoes who work for a living had to suffer through that wait stone sober or feel like rape victims for paying what Applebee's could get. No, I don't feel good about this but I also didn't want to sit there with thumb in ass.

Say hey to Tamar.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Craig » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:31 am

Kind of a big day for my family: another kid is heading out of the nest today. This little guy, boy #2, is heading out to school for his second year on an athletic scholarship. What's different this year is that he's moved off campus with a group of teammates and they're into a 12 month lease which means he has no reason to return home next summer. He's a good boy and on the right track, still it's catching me a little in the throat to think about him good and gone. We'll have an early lunch and then push him off in my old war wagon. 70 miles feels like it will be as far away as the foothills of the Allegories must have seemed when oou r people originally came to Michigan.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Craig wrote:Kind of a big day for my family: another kid is heading out of the nest today. This little guy, boy #2, is heading out to school for his second year on an athletic scholarship. What's different this year is that he's moved off campus with a group of teammates and they're into a 12 month lease which means he has no reason to return home next summer. He's a good boy and on the right track, still it's catching me a little in the throat to think about him good and gone. We'll have an early lunch and then push him off in my old war wagon. 70 miles feels like it will be as far away as the foothills of the Allegories must have seemed when oou r people originally came to Michigan.

Don't worry, he'll still come home to see his buddies, have his mom do his laundry and clean out your pantry. But it will get fewer and farther between and then one day he'll meet that special girl who knows how to cook and do laundry...
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 pm

^ Ha, for sure. These will be seen as the good old days.

What a bitch it is to feel like a chunk of life has been hacked off. This one is easy, I know, because tthere are people dying of cancer or under cars. Still, there is an empty spot and my dang heart doesn't feel what my head knows.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 am

Craig wrote:^ Ha, for sure. These will be seen as the good old days.

What a bitch it is to feel like a chunk of life has been hacked off. This one is easy, I know, because tthere are people dying of cancer or under cars. Still, there is an empty spot and my dang heart doesn't feel what my head knows.

Both of my daughters went of to college over 20 yrs ago and I went through the same process. It still feels like a chunk of life is gone because it is. It's called being a parent. But, eventually, you might get a grandkid or two and that helps.
middle aged female

Postby pdtpuck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:14 am

Well, here we go. If all goes according to schedule, the wife and I will graduate at the same time...provided we both don't go insane or kill each other or go insane then kill each other first.
(Sorry for the HUGE picture. As if my melon isn't big enough already).
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby middle aged female » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 am

pdtpuck wrote:Image
Well, here we go. If all goes according to schedule, the wife and I will graduate at the same time...provided we both don't go insane or kill each other or go insane then kill each other first.

That is awesome. I reposted the picture because you deserve all the acknowledgment
middle aged female

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 pm

pdtpuck wrote:Image

Kick ass!
I just finished checking off the background check/drug test/immunization list for clinicals. Start getting my hands dirty a week from Friday.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby middle aged female » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:49 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Kick ass!
I just finished checking off the background check/drug test/immunization list for clinicals. Start getting my hands dirty a week from Friday.

Awesome!! Good luck to both of you
middle aged female

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:49 pm

middle aged female wrote:

Thank you! I feel pretty good about the direction the wife and I are heading. It's going to be a lot of work, but I REFUSE to let the assholes that fired me from my last job dictate my worth or what I am capable of. A guy I used to work with got fired several years ago, and he crawled into a bottle and never came out. I get that losing a long-term job is very stressful and difficult for most to handle, but you have to deal with it, pull yourself up, and move on.

How's your personal health situation going, SA?
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby Craig » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 am

pdtpuck wrote:

Thank you! I feel pretty good about the direction the wife and I are heading. It's going to be a lot of work, but I REFUSE to let the assholes that fired me from my last job dictate my worth or what I am capable of. A guy I used to work with got fired several years ago, and he crawled into a bottle and never came out. I get that losing a long-term job is very stressful and difficult for most to handle, but you have to deal with it, pull yourself up, and move on.

I get how that guy would lose it: our jobs become our identities in more ways than one. Losing a long-term job might be equivalent to having the house burn down of the wife of some decades say "screw you" and move out. While standing in the smoking wreckage there must be one big question: how do I go on?

A friend, the wife of a couple with whom my wife and I are very good pals, was bounced from a 20+ year job at what had been EDS and then lost her rebound job after just a few years in. Now, just steps away from her mid-50s, she cannot even get an interview. There was despair but hope comes in the form of early retirement as they had no kids, lived well below their means, and he has had a good run in engineering. Over a beer on the porch last night the husband shared that they're looking at a retirement horizon of four years, and the wife will bide her time putting the house in order for eventual sale. A nice ending to this story.

And then there are others who cannot regain their footing after getting blown up. One friend, from the ad business, has not worked since before the recession and auto meltdown; he now manages the sizeable inheritance of his only-child wife and more or less has personal barstools at Big Rock and Granite City. Another was a real shooter in the business, running large accounts and living the new millennium's life of Don Draper, but he's run out of places to work and I've just read that after a protracted time out he's now traveling to Toledo each day to run marketing for a pizza chain. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Good on you, Pdtpuck, for finding a new way and a previously unimaginable path to fulfillment.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:14 pm

pdtpuck wrote:

Just ducky. I've got a pretty good handle on what I can/cannot eat and have begun a weightlifting regimen to try and replace some of the muscle mass I lost. All told, I'm down about 40 pounds since the surgery.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Previous

Return to General Discussion