Fences
Patriots' Day
Cardboard Boxer
The Founder
Pay the Ghost
Loving
Hell or High Water

Answer:
Movies I watched while in transit from the D to Australia.

Tomorrow the reverse trip begins and there will be another binge-watching session. Really, this is a miserable trek, but I kind of enjoy being able to catch up on some of the crap that I would otherwise miss.

Oh, last night I had something called a bug's tail. Some kind of big shrimp or little lobster, I think. A Tasmanian single malt washed it down

I caught "Suicide Squad" (fucking awful) and "The Nice Guys" (nothing great, but a decent way to kill a couple of hours) crossing the Atlantic back in December/January. United also offered the full Ken Burns doc about Jackie Robinson, which got me the rest of the way back to O'Hare.

The wife has her heart set on the Seychelles for our next big trip, which means a long-ass flight ... longer than any I've ever taken. I sincerely hope the movie/show cache is a good one when we set sail.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:18 am

We went to a high school graduation ceremony last night: for one of the boys. This is a big school and they pack the small arena where the ceremonies are held, meaning that if you want to be able to actually see your kid you need to show up a couple of hours early in order to get a decent seat. So we did. Even with thick seat padding and an equally thick book (Stephen King's It; second time around for this one... it's crap, but entertaining) the wait was interminable, butt cheeks were in agony, and by the time that things had ended we were literally running for the door.

Other than watching your elders go from giants to doddering fossils nothing takes one's breath away like the realization that mere infants have become young men and women. This young man of mine, for example, at the age of three discovered that his wet sneakers which had been left outdoors on the porch were gone and then with complete seriousness told me they must have blown away. His shoes blew away, he was certain. Now this dude is a star athlete, reader, thinker, and if he put his mind to it might be able join forces with his Irish twin brother and kick my sputtering ass. Like, cripes, where does time go?

So we're sitting there last night, just off of where the ice normally is laid, and I can see from the shoulders up the entirety of the class of 2017. I watched them, heard their speakers (note: valedictorians no longer speak, maybe because due to grade inflation there were dozens of kids with 4.0 and greater GPAs. Instead of the "best," students volunteer to speak, and generally these are the same kind of doe-eyed scolds legend-in-their-own-mind types who were the valedictorian-speakers in my era. To wit, they have nothing of relevance to say and they deliver their hyperbole in way that makes one want to literally boo), watched the antics as the diplomas were handed out and had this thought: most of these kids really are dumbasses and they'd benefit either from another year in the mill or from a tour in the Army. Yep, graduation night is made for giddy excitement, but c'mon: dance-moves on the stage to celebrate conferment of a diploma? Flashing affected gang symbols to your suburban parents in the stands? Launching beach balls during a moment of silence for the student and then teacher who had passed away? Kid, if you only knew how minor of an accomplishment it is to occupy a seat for four years you wouldn't be
going apeshit...
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:18 am

One other thing: arena concession stands were open for the ceremony last night, but the beers taps were not open. I would have had a couple had they been going, but overall I was glad that they were not. If you could see some of the parents and family then you'd know why this was a good thing.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby middle aged female » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:53 am

Went to my grandson's junior high band concert (he plays bass fiddle, which is at least cool) and the doofus grads you talked about in your post above are still alive and going strong and have children in their early teens. Jesus, what a bunch of dumb asses screaming and hooting for the Brandenburg Concerto.

And this was a rather entertaining typo in the program:
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:48 pm

middle aged female wrote:Went to my grandson's junior high band concert (he plays bass fiddle, which is at least cool) and the doofus grads you talked about in your post above are still alive and going strong and have children in their early teens. Jesus, what a bunch of dumb asses screaming and hooting for the Brandenburg Concerto.

I've been to a lot of graduation ceremonies for my brood: grade school, middle school, high school, and one military. The most dignified was the boot camp finale: maybe because the crowd had baked in the sun and heard endless testimonials and unit histories for hours on end the spectators were pretty docile. But when it comes to public school graduations, oh boy, things go apeshit pretty fast. Printed programs and then verbal remarks from the M.C.s beseech spectators to be polite, refrain from using noise-makers, and save the applause for the end. Well, they may as well ask hyenas to only nibble on an antelope that's been brought down, because every rule is almost immediately shat upon. Your rational side will at first wonder "who screams and carries on like the Holy Spirit just entered them when the name of your middle-schooler is called?" but after a while of this you come to believe that the rootstock from which little Mr. X has sprung is so wanting for meaningful victories that even a throw-away like this is reason for a buffoonish caricature of a legitimate celebration. I remember seeing footage when the Vietnam POWs were returned home -men who had been held for years and subjected to grievously inhumane treatment including torture- and the joy of awaiting families was more subdued than what I've seen for mouth-breathing mopes completing four years of shop class and remedial slop.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Craig wrote:you come to believe that the rootstock from which little Mr. X has sprung is so wanting for meaningful victories that even a throw-away like this is reason for a buffoonish caricature of a legitimate celebration.

A. Fuckin'. Men.

If my mother and sister hadn't traveled 1,000 miles to witness it, I never would've sat through my U of D grad ceremony (it would've cost me the pleasure of hearing a drunk -- swear to God -- Cardinal Maida and the Hon. Trudy Archer speak). I went to college for a reason, got it done and was ready to look for a job. Of all the things I remembered from college, my grad ceremony was at the bottom.
Same for high school, which was the first event at Deer Creek Music Center near Indianapolis. It rained all day and I ruined a pair of penny loafers. That's about all I remember.

But what you said earlier hit the nail squarely on the head. High school graduation is less a celebration of accomplishment than marking the official entry into adulthood (ready or not).
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby MICHIGAN » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Congrats on another one closer to independence!

I've done two high school graduations of my brood. Both of mine went to Catholic high schools, and I have to say everything ran like clockwork and people behaved; my son's because it was a very small school, 110 - 120 kids per class, and my daughter's partially because the school had pounded into your head for four years that anything out of line could cast you your diploma. To that end they did not hand out diplomas on stage, only a blank place holder, but rather diplomas were issued as you walked out the door, after graduation was complete, and all the rabble had been expelled back outside to collect their progeny.
I don't think I could have done a public school graduation without losing my mind.

I will report back in a week on my daughter's college graduation, let's see how that goes. Ms. M is making this into an event to rival Pippa Middleton's wedding, with two days of parties in Chicago. But if that makes her happy, who am I to stand in the way?
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby middle aged female » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:13 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Craig wrote:you come to believe that the rootstock from which little Mr. X has sprung is so wanting for meaningful victories that even a throw-away like this is reason for a buffoonish caricature of a legitimate celebration.

A. Fuckin'. Men.

If my mother and sister hadn't traveled 1,000 miles to witness it, I never would've sat through my U of D grad ceremony (it would've cost me the pleasure of hearing a drunk -- swear to God -- Cardinal Maida and the Hon. Trudy Archer speak). I went to college for a reason, got it done and was ready to look for a job. Of all the things I remembered from college, my grad ceremony was at the bottom.
Same for high school, which was the first event at Deer Creek Music Center near Indianapolis. It rained all day and I ruined a pair of penny loafers. That's about all I remember.

But what you said earlier hit the nail squarely on the head. High school graduation is less a celebration of accomplishment than marking the official entry into adulthood (ready or not).

Got to sit through my daughter's UDM grad not once but twice. The first one was the HUGE one at Calahan when 1\2 the graduates were getting their BA in Social Work and I nearly fell asleep and the next one on a hot August day in some courtyard for just the Engineering class because they didn't REALLY graduate until they finished their final internship. At that one we were served cookies and our choice of coffee or warm box wine.
middle aged female

Postby Craig » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:01 am

That kid who just graduated from high school? I cashed in Delta miles and Marriott points earned the hard way to take he and my wife on a short trip to Colorado to see the mountains. We do this: peel off with the grad (or grads as was the case last year when our twins hit the milestone) and have a little adventure that is way out of the norm. Hiking mountain trails is great enough but the best part proves to be giving the kid a brief only-child experience. Our kids have grown up in a crowd meaning that protracted one-on-one time has been rare, which has been fine until we have it and then wow: I realize that there's almost another identity for each kid... a person whom they are when they're not one of umpteen around the dinner table. Heavy stuff if you're me and used to herding cats.

Some tips if you're going to see the Rockies...
1) get ready to see some skinny-assed people because everyone out there seems to be a biker-hiker-kayaker-recycler-chill person who doesn't dig GMO, R&R, or refined sugar
2) the views are spectacular, but getting there will scare the pants off of you
3) atmosphere matters - the higher elevations are something like 15 times higher than what we know. That academic fact will crash into you and actually mean something if you're way up and there and try to do anything strenuous such as walk more than a few steps
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:45 am

Craig wrote:That kid who just graduated from high school? I cashed in Delta miles and Marriott points earned the hard way to take he and my wife on a short trip to Colorado to see the mountains. We do this: peel off with the grad (or grads as was the case last year when our twins hit the milestone) and have a little adventure that is way out of the norm. Hiking mountain trails is great enough but the best part proves to be giving the kid a brief only-child experience. Our kids have grown up in a crowd meaning that protracted one-on-one time has been rare, which has been fine until we have it and then wow: I realize that there's almost another identity for each kid... a person whom they are when they're not one of umpteen around the dinner table. Heavy stuff if you're me and used to herding cats.

Some tips if you're going to see the Rockies...
1) get ready to see some skinny-assed people because everyone out there seems to be a biker-hiker-kayaker-recycler-chill person who doesn't dig GMO, R&R, or refined sugar
2) the views are spectacular, but getting there will scare the pants off of you
3) atmosphere matters - the higher elevations are something like 15 times higher than what we know. That academic fact will crash into you and actually mean something if you're way up and there and try to do anything strenuous such as walk more than a few steps

4) If you go out there in high heat heed #3 very carefully.
5) Those skinny ass people STILL love beer and BBQ
middle aged female

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:24 pm

middle aged female wrote:
5) Those skinny ass people STILL love beer and BBQ

6) ... and weed.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:45 pm

We live about 15 minutes from the Lake Michigan shore and, should I fancy it, I can close my eyes and drive right into the lake if I'm not careful.
The Indiana Dunes state and national lakeshores are very, very great ways to make whatever is bothering you disappear. There's a great 4-ish-mile loop trail that give you everything: woods, decent inclines, amazing views of the lake from the top of a couple of dunes (and a great look at the Chicago skyline on a clear day) and, for the most part, a relatively human-free couple of hours to just unwind.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Craig » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:00 pm

Graduation #2 of 2017 was tonight. An eighth-grader this time. To my astonishment the crowd pretty much behaved whereas the high school parents celebrated like their kids had had life sentences commuted. Not even one air horn.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Morty » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm

middle aged female wrote:Went to my grandson's junior high band concert (he plays bass fiddle, which is at least cool) and the doofus grads you talked about in your post above are still alive and going strong and have children in their early teens. Jesus, what a bunch of dumb asses screaming and hooting for the Brandenburg Concerto.

And this was a rather entertaining typo in the program:

I went to my daughter's choir concert last week. Holy shit, a kid can get a standing O for just showing up these days. Screaming, hooting and hollering. The choir director/teacher wasn't having it, she quieted the place down and told them "this isn't a basketball game". I was with her. The bar has been set pretty low.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:05 am

I don't know how, but I finished the spring semester with an "A' in stats and 2 "B's," one in Microbiology and A&P II. Blowoff nutrition class this summer and on to nursing school next spring. The Suburban Avenger feels my relief!

Saw Iron Maiden for the first time ever after being a fan for 34 years. See details in "Hot Fudge Music." So far, summer is shaping up nicely.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion