Hot Fudge Reporting Back

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby pdtpuck » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:01 pm

The wife is kicking ass in grad school (becoming a nurse practitioner after being a surgical nurse for 20 years). I got accepted to nursing school starting this fall, contingent on me getting "C's" or better this semester. I'm taking microbiology, anatomy & physiology II, and intro to statistics. I need to have my head examined. Even worse, eventually I'd like to become a CRNA, but that could change with continued schooling. The wife says there are MANY opportunities to specialize in this field.

At this point in my life, even if I do get my job back, I don't think I'll go back. I will for the back pay, but that's it. The railroad industry has changed and not for the better. All of my former co-workers tell me how far down the abyss my former company has gone in the year I've been away. At least I got 20 years in and will get a decent pension when I hit 65, God-willing.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby Craig » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:45 pm

^ my eldest son recently joined up with a freight carrier as a trainee. He likes it but then there's not much against which to compare his experience.

Stats is easy: just remember mean, median, and mode. Memorize chi-square, t and Z, and then then one and two-tail tests. Odds are they don't go much beyond these parlor tricks and the result is that you'll never use any of it in practical circumstances.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 pm

pdtpuck wrote:The wife is kicking ass in grad school (becoming a nurse practitioner after being a surgical nurse for 20 years). I got accepted to nursing school starting this fall, contingent on me getting "C's" or better this semester. I'm taking microbiology, anatomy & physiology II, and intro to statistics.
I took statistics during my first college tour as a pass/fail. I didn't understand a word of it. Nobody did. After it was done I called the prof and asked what I would've got if I didn't do P/F. He said it would've been a B. Go figure.
I need to have my head examined.
Maybe. If it's a struggle to pull C's in the prerequisites it won't look good for the rest of it. The grading scale where I went wasn't the usual 70-80/80-90/90-100 we're all used to. An A was 94 or better and so on down the line. C's don't make it.
You've prob'ly already enrolled, but I suggest knocking all that shit out at a CC and then going to a real school for your BSN. Worked for me.
Even worse, eventually I'd like to become a CRNA, but that could change with continued schooling. The wife says there are MANY opportunities to specialize in this field.
CRNA school is some heavy shit, like two years and more of pharmacology heavy with a more than full-time course load. Everybody wants to do it because it's phat money but I couldn't see doing it even if I was that smart.
At this point in my life, even if I do get my job back, I don't think I'll go back. I will for the back pay, but that's it. The railroad industry has changed and not for the better. All of my former co-workers tell me how far down the abyss my former company has gone in the year I've been away. At least I got 20 years in and will get a decent pension when I hit 65, God-willing.
Nursing school basically has two purposes: 1- to thin the herd (flunk out the C students) and 2 - to prep for the NCLEX. NCLEX questions all have 4 answers, two of which are stupid and two of which are correct but one is more correct than the other. Good luck. Oh, and don't miss/skip class or clinicals and if you do miss/skip don't bullshit them over why you did it. You'll be gone.

Oh, and I wouldn't expect any pension in this field. It's all savings plans and 403b's (nonprofit version of a 401k). If you work where I do your insurance will suck too.
Navy Blue Scrubs
Hot Fudge Arrogant Little Fuck

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 pm

pdtpuck wrote:The wife is kicking ass in grad school (becoming a nurse practitioner after being a surgical nurse for 20 years). I got accepted to nursing school starting this fall, contingent on me getting "C's" or better this semester. I'm taking microbiology, anatomy & physiology II, and intro to statistics.

Doing the second semester of anatomy right now (plus a bullshit theology course everyone has to take) and will have microbiology and stats this fall to fill out the pre-requisites. All things being as I hope, nursing school starts in January. It's interesting as hell, which I think helps when it comes to studying.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:55 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote: ...(plus a bullshit theology course everyone has to take)...

Theology? Lemme guess, U of D Jesuit?

Looks like everybody's in nursing school. It's the new law school (but with better prospects).
Navy Blue Scrubs

Postby Craig » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm reading this right: two guys here are studying their way into nursing school? Nursing is a shit show, literally. Tell 'em, NBS. My wife's gig is nursing and the happiest day in her career (other than resigning to have and raise kids) came when she returned to work and landed a position doing immunizations: clean work, no huge messes, and she hasn't been in scrubs since the great recession.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Navy Blue Scrubs wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote: ...(plus a bullshit theology course everyone has to take)...

Theology? Lemme guess, U of D Jesuit?

Looks like everybody's in nursing school. It's the new law school (but with better prospects).

Good ol' Valparaiso University ... the midwest's Lutheran stronghold. Mrs. Avenger works here.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Craig wrote:I'm reading this right: two guys here are studying their way into nursing school? Nursing is a shit show, literally. Tell 'em, NBS. My wife's gig is nursing and the happiest day in her career (other than resigning to have and raise kids) came when she returned to work and landed a position doing immunizations: clean work, no huge messes, and she hasn't been in scrubs since the great recession.

Shit show I can handle.
I took a job working with an agency that assists mentally disabled adults and I've seen more than enough shit shows in the last 14 months to float a battleship.

- One of the OCD/mildly MR guys gets a little violent when shit doesn't go his way and one particular freakout led to his trying to choke out a woman in her 50s. I still don't know how I got him off of her.
- One of the younger fellows started bopping the bishop near the rhino pen at the Lincoln Park Zoo.
- A younger woman is subject to frequent seizures. A recent one included her taking a dive as it set in, cracking her forhead open and bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig until an EMT got to the group home where they live. They only have vinyl gloves at the group home, so I'm wondering, NBS, is it easier to work around blood/fluids/whatever in latex gloves? Vinyl just got slippery as hell.
- The shit show also extends to the management of their money, which is appalling. There is a young man with down syndrome at one of the group homes and his foster parents, who I assume placed him in the group home, insist on receiving his SSI checks. Guess how much of that dough ends up buying this dude some new clothes?
- For that matter, several of the people served by this agency basically are meal tickets for trashbucket guardians or siblings. Most are old enough that their parents are long dead, but their guardians basically cash their benefits out and show up once a year with a new package of underpants and some new T-shirts. It's terrible.

That said, I've learned I'm a much more patient person than I ever thought I was.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Navy Blue Scrubs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:33 am

Valpairoso? I forgot you are no longer amongst us. I think U of D is way expensive. Go to Wayne. It's well respected and relatively affordable and I don't think anybody exceeds their pass rate for boards, which is really what it's all about.

Shit show is a subjective description but I've had worse jobs and money can be made by those willing to work (along with incentives, some legit and others unmentionable, to encourage said work). New entries to the field may not find it as lucrative because instead of maxing out at seven years it's now more like you make top pay after, I dunno, maybe never, and most people are unwilling to put in the number of hours I do - sixty is a short week for me, seventy isn't uncommon and as much as eighty or eighty four can happen. I remember why I do it every second Friday. And it can be interesting. If I was doing something else I couldn't see putting in the time.

SA talks about violence. We have a force of security cops and they are utilized many times every day. They've shot people, but never inside the ER as far as I know. It can get physical but I stand back and let the cops handle it. They're trained, I'm not, and I don't want anybody getting hurt, especially me. Some of my cohorts have been seriously injured. It's not that they're not trying but nobody has put me down (but a human bite can fucking hurt). Oh yeah, one time this amputee gut stabbed me in the belly with his arm stump, that one hurt and I wondered if it was serious for a few hours until the pain resolved but I didn't bother with getting registered, and another time they were restraining a woman and they only had three straps and I figured that was okay until she swung her free leg and caught me in the throat. A slightly oblique angle of contact saved my thyroid from going out my ass.

The most serious injury to staff was the result of a recycle bin that somebody decided was a good idea to place in a high traffic aisle for few years. A nurse tripped over it and broke her elbow, that's a bad joint to break, and was out for a good while. Of course, the next day that bin was back, ready to kill again. I threw it out. We often get surveys and they ask about safety. I always give the worst reviews re safety, but they're talking about security response and I'm talking about a facility which is physically laid out to hurt people. I'm not afraid of these patients, but I have a healthy respect for bad design and stupid decisions.

Re the cognitively impaired / developmentally delayed / "special" population: we see a large number of people who live in AFC (Adult Foster Care) homes. That's a good gig in Detroit. Get a house, get some clients, get some money. Sometimes they'll complain to me about how they're stealing their money, but I think that's how it works. They house and feed you and get you to your doctor appointments and they get your check in return. Everybody gets a check.

SA also mentioned the gloves. Vinyl sounds like what they use in food service. Latex has been pretty much phased out because so many people are allergic. It started in children's facilities but is now pretty much universal. You won't find latex anywhere for the most part. We've been using nitrile for years. Back in the day the gloves had powder in them to make them easier to don and doff and sometimes it got quite irritating. I wondered if I was developing an allergy myself, my hands could get very red and painful, but I decided it was the powder and that's not used anymore.
Navy Blue Scrubs

Postby The Conscience » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 am

What is it about nursing that's so appealing now to middle aged males? I have a cop buddy whom I've known for twenty years, good guy who rose up the ranks to become chief in a department of 200 officers. He's a couple of years from early retirement (age 50) and is saying he plans on becoming a nurse. Wha? Many guys who pull a cop's pension at 50 get another job, if you consider 'golf course warden' or 'woodworking' a job. I've been around hospitals enough to see what nurses have to deal with every day- old zombies in the DNR ward laying in beds with their balls hanging out and detoxing addicts and drunks who never will be whole. Why would anyone at age 50, especially someone who's already spent a career dealing with the public, volunteer for more?
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:43 am

^ A very good question.

Some, I'll guess, feel the need for more income and so double-dipping in the sense of collecting a pension as well as a decent wage in a relatively decent environment may be a way to shore up one's financial security. Anyone with a pension these days should be looking carefully at what happened in Detroit; demographics and municipal finances are such that many of the old pension plans are upside-down or nearly so.

I wonder if a part of the push for second careers among the recently retired is a combination of boredom and psychological reaction to the realization that death is not only inevitable but also imminent. We work for all of our lives and then suddenly we don't. Personally, I have a large backlog of interests and hobbies and so I expect no trouble filling the eventual abundance of free time but for some, I feel, work is the best part of life and to lose it is to suffer a metaphoric death. Strip away the work friendships and then the sense of accomplishment that comes with being a master of one's trade and maybe you're left with the guy who mopes, eats too much, rents a bar stool, and either listens to the police scanner or makes a sport of sitting in courtrooms all day in order to witness the action. A second career likely could be the desperate grab from the drowning man to hang on to their sense of vitality and self-worth
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby pdtpuck » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 am

Yes I am going to an accredited school in the fall. Doing the bridge program. I got a BS in '92...thought I'd be a railroader the rest of my working life. Nope.

As far as why nursing? Job security (HUGE shortage around my parts) and its something I've always been interested in.

"C's" are the MINIMUM. I am capable and do pull better grades. 100-92 is and A, 92-83 is a B, and so on.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby middle aged female » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 am

Craig wrote:^ A very good question.

Some, I'll guess, feel the need for more income and so double-dipping in the sense of collecting a pension as well as a decent wage in a relatively decent environment may be a way to shore up one's financial security. Anyone with a pension these days should be looking carefully at what happened in Detroit; demographics and municipal finances are such that many of the old pension plans are upside-down or nearly so.

I wonder if a part of the push for second careers among the recently retired is a combination of boredom and psychological reaction to the realization that death is not only inevitable but also imminent. We work for all of our lives and then suddenly we don't. Personally, I have a large backlog of interests and hobbies and so I expect no trouble filling the eventual abundance of free time but for some, I feel, work is the best part of life and to lose it is to suffer a metaphoric death. Strip away the work friendships and then the sense of accomplishment that comes with being a master of one's trade and maybe you're left with the guy who mopes, eats too much, rents a bar stool, and either listens to the police scanner or makes a sport of sitting in courtrooms all day in order to witness the action. A second career likely could be the desperate grab from the drowning man to hang on to their sense of vitality and self-worth

I think part of it for public servents, as The Conscience mentioned, is the ability to do more public service. Most cops, firemen, emts, etc, have a need to "help" and nursing seems like a much safer and cleaner way to do that after their duty as a peace officer is over. I know that my dad, before he became a cop, wanted to be a doctor but there was no money in the family till in the 1930's for him to do that (especially after having handed over all of his paychecks to his mom so she could send her youngest son "Herby" to seminary. Lousy drunk never did anything more than hold himself up on his elbows at a bar and knock up my long-suffering Aunt Nida 7 times) so he did what he considered to be the next best thing and became a cop.He made an awesome policeman, but I think he would have been an even better doctor. He just made do.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Craig » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:54 pm

middle aged female wrote: He just made do.

That's kind of my point about financial security. I don't know of anyone in the emergency services who was overpaid and so I can easily see how many would feel the financial draw of a second career. When my father retired he truly retired but he had the advantage of having lived a frugal life, worked OT when it was available and part-time jobs when it wasn't, and he saved relentlessly in the way of one who lived through the Depression and war-time rationing. I contrast the old man with other retirees who had no choice but to continue living in the city in their golden years, and I don't mean in nice places like Rosedale Park or Indian Village.
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Craig wrote:
middle aged female wrote: He just made do.

That's kind of my point about financial security. I don't know of anyone in the emergency services who was overpaid and so I can easily see how many would feel the financial draw of a second career. When my father retired he truly retired but he had the advantage of having lived a frugal life, worked OT when it was available and part-time jobs when it wasn't, and he saved relentlessly in the way of one who lived through the Depression and war-time rationing. I contrast the old man with other retirees who had no choice but to continue living in the city in their golden years, and I don't mean in nice places like Rosedale Park or Indian Village.

After retirement from DPD, dad took a job as Police Chief in Almont, then went on to work for the DA of Lapeer County in some sort of Ombudsman position. He had a pension when he retired but he also had a teenage daughter and wife, so a second job was required. He only lived a couple years after DPD so I don't know what would have happened after I was out of the nest. The "made do" comment was more about his being denied the dream of becoming a doctor so his little brother could study to be a drunk at the seminary
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion