Hot Fudge Reporting Back

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby pdtpuck » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:41 pm

I get some of the head scratching with my choice of 2nd career, but as I said, it's something I'm interested in and I have an 8-year old son and 9-year old stepdaughter, so finding a gig as a Walmart stockboy or jockeying parts at AutoZone (not that there's anything wrong with those professions) isn't really an option. I need A) job security, which really...what occupation truly has that anymore, and B) the possibility to make decent coin to be able to help my kids with their education (should they choose to go to college) and sock some money away for retirement.

And what job/occupation isnt a shit show?

Even if I do get my old job back, 90% of their business is hauling coal, and the way things are trending, I won't have much security anyway.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
User avatar
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:38 am
Location: Rocking the fuck out.

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 pm

The Chicago Auto Show is pretty much the Detroit Auto Show, minus the concept cars.

We're in the market for a new car later this year, so I rode the train out (free this week, thump!) and had a gander. Not very crowded and you actually could take cars for a spin if you wanted to around the McCormick Place grounds (you can't get going fast enough to do anything dangerous). Was pretty impressed with the Mazda6 ... the seating is very comfortable.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
User avatar
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer
 
Posts: 6702
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: About $8.25 in tolls from Chicago.

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:18 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:The Chicago Auto Show is pretty much the Detroit Auto Show, minus the concept cars.

We're in the market for a new car later this year, so I rode the train out (free this week, thump!) and had a gander. Not very crowded and you actually could take cars for a spin if you wanted to around the McCormick Place grounds (you can't get going fast enough to do anything dangerous). Was pretty impressed with the Mazda6 ... the seating is very comfortable.


I used to be involved with consumer "ride & drive" events: big whoop-de-doos where tracks would be set up and the public invited to try out the product. Sounds banal, I'm sure, but to see it in action was pretty cool. Both Jeep and HUMMER (RIP) would build incredibly steep earthen hills to demonstrate off-road capabilities. By incredibly steep I mean you might feel frightened enough to shit your pants as you crept straight up saw nothing but sky. A big HUMMER should easily take the hill, but Jeep Grand Cherokees would do the same without missing a beat.

On flat courses, usually set up in parking lots of sporting venues like a racetrack in Revere, Mass. or Gilllete where the Patriots play, you could get out and almost spank on the cars and trucks. Getting up on two-wheels was grounds for immediate expulsion but you you could still have a blast tearing around a course in a GTO, Corvette, 300, etc.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
User avatar
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 pm

I just had my annual performance evaluation. I hate these things because my boss is a very hard grader: he's from a foreign culture and while he isn't per se the culture is very teutonic, very un-democratic, very much disciplinarian. Personally, I'm none of those things and even though the boss sits in Atlanta and I sit in the shadow of the Big Three it's made for needless tension and anxiety. The reference that I continually go back to is the Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now where I am Kurtz up at the remote end of the river but instead of being a renegade I'm assembling local troops to protect myself from deadly forrays emenating from civilization. Times are good so long as the phone isn't ringing and boss man isn't flying north for an inspection and to deliver a motivational butt-kicking.

Well, we did this on the phone and to my delight he kept the Maoist-like tearing down of one's sense of self to a minimum. Bottom line is I live to fight another day and get a raise to boot.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
User avatar
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby middle aged female » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Craig wrote:I just had my annual performance evaluation. I hate these things because my boss is a very hard grader: he's from a foreign culture and while he isn't per se the culture is very teutonic, very un-democratic, very much disciplinarian. Personally, I'm none of those things and even though the boss sits in Atlanta and I sit in the shadow of the Big Three it's made for needless tension and anxiety. The reference that I continually go back to is the Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now where I am Kurtz up at the remote end of the river but instead of being a renegade I'm assembling local troops to protect myself from deadly forrays emenating from civilization. Times are good so long as the phone isn't ringing and boss man isn't flying north for an inspection and to deliver a motivational butt-kicking.

Well, we did this on the phone and to my delight he kept the Maoist-like tearing down of one's sense of self to a minimum. Bottom line is I live to fight another day and get a raise to boot.

Image
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7394
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:05 am

No power in my area and per some our home is simply uninhabitable: hairdryer cannot run. Oh, the humanity.

It really is cold. I didn't check the temp but I awoke with a cold face. Natural for a camp out, but unwelcome in your own bed on a night was forecasted to be in the teens.. With a borrowed generator the furnace is running and for this I'm glad. Still, I'm regarded as King Dumbass for the power situation and aforementioned hairdryer.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
User avatar
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Mulligan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Craig wrote:No power in my area and per some our home is simply uninhabitable: hairdryer cannot run. Oh, the humanity.

It really is cold. I didn't check the temp but I awoke with a cold face. Natural for a camp out, but unwelcome in your own bed on a night was forecasted to be in the teens.. With a borrowed generator the furnace is running and for this I'm glad. Still, I'm regarded as King Dumbass for the power situation and aforementioned hairdryer.


If you start feeling too persecuted, run the generator indoors.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5245
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Mulligan wrote:
Craig wrote:No power in my area and per some our home is simply uninhabitable: hairdryer cannot run. Oh, the humanity.

It really is cold. I didn't check the temp but I awoke with a cold face. Natural for a camp out, but unwelcome in your own bed on a night was forecasted to be in the teens.. With a b. Yeah rowed generator the furnace is running and for this I'm glad. Still, I'm regarded as King Dumbass for the power situation and aforementioned hairdryer.


If you start feeling too persecuted, run the generator indoors.


Thinking about it.

I finally was able to get out and survey the local damage. A couple of doors down trees fell in the wind and a pair of utility poles are broken into giant-sized kindling. Damn. This wont be an easy fix. The power company has robo calls coming in every so often declaring that all will be right again by 11:45 Sunday night. Yeah, my ass.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
User avatar
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Crews from up north have rolled into the 'hood and are working at replacing the broken poles. After days of living tethered to a generator and economizing in all ways our long suburban nightmare feels as though it is coming to an end. This morning, feeling a little too confident, we plugged in a hot plate in an effort to make omelets. Boom, overload. I never thought to look until today: a standard-issue variety store hot plate draws 1000 watts and that was enough to temporarily bring down the system. But it seems that our time of eating carry out and cold things from fridge are nearly done.

Sassy in the belief that relief is in sight I say that maybe I'll miss this interlude where it felt that we were under siege and pulling together. Things like setting up and keeping a firewatch on the generator, brainstorming no-heat meals, sitting together by candlelight and talking as a family. Unity of purpose, you know.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
User avatar
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby middle aged female » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Craig wrote:Crews from up north have rolled into the 'hood and are working at replacing the broken poles. After days of living tethered to a generator and economizing in all ways our long suburban nightmare feels as though it is coming to an end. This morning, feeling a little too confident, we plugged in a hot plate in an effort to make omelets. Boom, overload. I never thought to look until today: a standard-issue variety store hot plate draws 1000 watts and that was enough to temporarily bring down the system. But it seems that our time of eating carry out and cold things from fridge are nearly done.

Sassy in the belief that relief is in sight I say that maybe I'll miss this interlude where it felt that we were under siege and pulling together. Things like setting up and keeping a firewatch on the generator, brainstorming no-heat meals, sitting together by candlelight and talking as a family. Unity of purpose, you know.

Did you sing Kumbaya around the hot plate before it blew?
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7394
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Craig » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Did you sing Kumbaya around the hot plate before it blew?


Ha, almost. Very cool, though, to be sitting together without electronica distracting and interrupting. Ours is a borrowed generator and so early on I hadn't yet determined if it could safely power our various gear and so we opted to be conservative and safe. Very cool on Friday night to be gathered in our like vying room by candlelight, having a drink and conversing in the way that seldom happens as the kids grow older and the entire world is there with its siren call.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
User avatar
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby middle aged female » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Craig wrote:
Did you sing Kumbaya around the hot plate before it blew?


Ha, almost. Very cool, though, to be sitting together without electronica distracting and interrupting. Ours is a borrowed generator and so early on I hadn't yet determined if it could safely power our various gear and so we opted to be conservative and safe. Very cool on Friday night to be gathered in our like vying room by candlelight, having a drink and conversing in the way that seldom happens as the kids grow older and the entire world is there with its siren call.


I know; I love when my adult kids and their spouses get together with us at vaca or holiday time when we can take a few hours and just sit and talk about anything instead of the constant running here and there.
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7394
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby The Fickle Finger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Craig wrote:Crews from up north have rolled into the 'hood and are working at replacing the broken poles. After days of living tethered to a generator and economizing in all ways our long suburban nightmare feels as though it is coming to an end. This morning, feeling a little too confident, we plugged in a hot plate in an effort to make omelets. Boom, overload. I never thought to look until today: a standard-issue variety store hot plate draws 1000 watts and that was enough to temporarily bring down the system. But it seems that our time of eating carry out and cold things from fridge are nearly done.

Sassy in the belief that relief is in sight I say that maybe I'll miss this interlude where it felt that we were under siege and pulling together. Things like setting up and keeping a firewatch on the generator, brainstorming no-heat meals, sitting together by candlelight and talking as a family. Unity of purpose, you know.


I keep a gas stove for that reason. I can light the stove top. Up north, I keep a camp stove with propane in case the electricity goes out, which is a lot.
User avatar
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby middle aged female » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:29 pm

The thing we had in Almont that saved our asses numerous times was a kerosene heater. That thing kept us all warm and threw a nice bright glow. My kids used to sit around it like a fireplace when they were young.
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7394
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: Hot Fudge Reporting Back

Postby Mulligan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Two-plus-hour commute this morning for what was little more than a dusting of snow. What is this, Atlanta?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5245
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests