Hotfudge Irony???

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hotfudge Irony???

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:28 pm

The Conscience wrote:Best practice: find a private sportsmen's club that vets potential members and only allows members and their guests on their ranges. They're a little farther from the city and cost a bit more, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Durand Sportsmen's Club is $80 a year. The screen process wasn't very rigorous, though. Bascially, they waited until my check cleared and then told me that I was in.

Oh, and we did have a shooting. Some guy who should have known better let his hand get in the way when clearing a jam and thereby shot himself in the knuckle. Now I cannot recall how the story ended, but call it 50/50 that he lost the end of a finger, and then there was dried blood all up and down the firing line left there as a (a) reminder to all to be careful, and (b) testimony to the fact that the old-timers who volunteer their time for maintenance aren't really doing or accomplishing shit.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Conscience » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Not that shootings (both accidental and intentional) don't happen at private clubs, but in general it's a different crowd. They're more gun savvy, better trained, and because it's private, people who raise red flags can be denied entry or get their membership revoked. That said, no matter where you go, be aware of what other shooters are doing and don't assume anyone you don't know is safety conscious, knows the right end of the barrel, or isn't about to flip out.

Old coots who "volunteer" at gun ranges are like wooden Indians in cigar shops- they're only there to have a place to be. They wouldn't mop the pisser, much less a pool of blood.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Today, 05:18 PM #21
mauser

It wasnt done on paper and the letters were painted.

I think people here greatly underestimate how angry and upset the Anti-Defamation League is about this, as well as the local Jewish community. I also think people here are not giving enough weigh to the RIGHT of the ADL to be enraged by such a disrespectful act. Trivializing the Holocaust is not going to get you anywhere with anybody. If you are not Jewish, you just dont own that stuff, and you dont get the final say as to what is offensive or damaging to those people.

This time, it is not about Detroit looking bad. The sign persisting unchallenged without being removed and hitting the international news cycle as-is would be damaging to the reputation of the United States.

Look, the sign maker had their say and did whatever that was supposed to do. Should the sign have stayed forever ? How long is long enough ? Taking it down could never change the fact that it was up and plenty of people saw it and photographed it. They made their statement. My friend and I went up there with hammers, and we made our statement.

People can keep arguing for the sign and the sign maker, but history is on my side.

Someone who can post over there needs to remind the history major that his DYes name is also the name of a semi-automatic pistol that may have excecuted hundreds or more at Auschwitz.

At least a few folks are taking him to task:

Today, 06:25 PM #23
Richard

You do not need to justify what you did, but on the other hand I am not sure why you keep insisting that Wayne county owns the building when you know the government cannot take possession with out due legal process which is the opposite of the reason you took the sign down.

So on one hand you despise the message and what was behind it and on the other hand you are promoting it by advocating that the government should be allowed to seize private property without due process,you cannot have it both ways.

Today, 03:51 PM #19
Wheels

Do people who defend graffiti as Beautification really have the right to be offended by graffiti they don't like?

I'm wondering why DNerd has not commented yet. This seems right up his alley
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Shark » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
The Conscience wrote:Best practice: find a private sportsmen's club that vets potential members and only allows members and their guests on their ranges. They're a little farther from the city and cost a bit more, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Durand Sportsmen's Club is $80 a year. The screen process wasn't very rigorous, though. Bascially, they waited until my check cleared and then told me that I was in.

Oh, and we did have a shooting. Some guy who should have known better let his hand get in the way when clearing a jam and thereby shot himself in the knuckle. Now I cannot recall how the story ended, but call it 50/50 that he lost the end of a finger, and then there was dried blood all up and down the firing line left there as a (a) reminder to all to be careful, and (b) testimony to the fact that the old-timers who volunteer their time for maintenance aren't really doing or accomplishing shit.

Over by the old horse farm. I haven't been to the Club in 17 years.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Mauser = attention whore.

He did his little good deed, but now it's necessary to remind everyone that he did... Pin dick.

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Oh, btw, given the composition of the area I'll wager that there are at least a couple hundred thousand non-tribesmen with familial connection to the camps and the vision of an enslaved east. So, fuckin' Mauser, I'll retain the right to "own" the phraseology and imagery of the Reich just the way that I want, fuck you very much.

Postby guest » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 am

Staff at Detroit's Cesar Chavez Academy hopes union representation will give them a greater voice

do they even know who he was?
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 am

The Beav wrote:
Today, 05:18 PM #21
mauser

It wasnt done on paper and the letters were painted.

I think people here greatly underestimate how angry and upset the Anti-Defamation League is about this, as well as the local Jewish community. I also think people here are not giving enough weigh to the RIGHT of the ADL to be enraged by such a disrespectful act. Trivializing the Holocaust is not going to get you anywhere with anybody. If you are not Jewish, you just dont own that stuff, and you dont get the final say as to what is offensive or damaging to those people.

This time, it is not about Detroit looking bad. The sign persisting unchallenged without being removed and hitting the international news cycle as-is would be damaging to the reputation of the United States.

Look, the sign maker had their say and did whatever that was supposed to do. Should the sign have stayed forever ? How long is long enough ? Taking it down could never change the fact that it was up and plenty of people saw it and photographed it. They made their statement. My friend and I went up there with hammers, and we made our statement.

People can keep arguing for the sign and the sign maker, but history is on my side.

Someone who can post over there needs to remind the history major that his DYes name is also the name of a semi-automatic pistol that may have excecuted hundreds or more at Auschwitz.

Good lord he's as insufferable as ever.

And by the way, he's welcome to come here and defend himself.

Not that I'm baiting him to come and spam the board again, he just simply has the right to call us out if he thinks we're wrong.

He was banned a long time ago, but I quietly reinstated him early last year. He must have received an activation email because soon after I got a scathing response that told me he'd never post here again and to delete his account.

No no, we can't do that. We have to preserve all his hate speech on this message board.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Random Douchebag » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 am

Mauser, baloney. He found yet another way to get yet another 15 minutes by scrounging around ruined buildings. His tortured logic is a retroactive justification. I wouldn't be surprised if he put the signs up himself.
Practitioner of Infantilism
"Legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos, legos."
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Postby The Beav » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:39 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Oh, btw, given the composition of the area I'll wager that there are at least a couple hundred thousand non-tribesmen with familial connection to the camps and the vision of an enslaved east. So, fuckin' Mauser, I'll retain the right to "own" the phraseology and imagery of the Reich just the way that I want, fuck you very much.

According to the Detroit PBS special on the local Polish community, Auschwitz first housed Polish political prisoners and resistance fighters.

That show recently aired a few times the past few weeks for the pledge drive.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 am

The Beav wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Oh, btw, given the composition of the area I'll wager that there are at least a couple hundred thousand non-tribesmen with familial connection to the camps and the vision of an enslaved east. So, fuckin' Mauser, I'll retain the right to "own" the phraseology and imagery of the Reich just the way that I want, fuck you very much.

According to the Detroit PBS special on the local Polish community, Auschwitz first housed Polish political prisoners and resistance fighters.

Half of Warren and Hamtramck used to be made up of DPs. Plenty of those folks had more than a working knowledge of starvation and slave labor and other spin-offs from Mein Kampf.

There are plenty of horror stories out there, and affecting a special interest in one, particularly one where he has no known connection is why Mauser is deserving of eye-rolls and more. Stand for justice, that's cool. And stick up for the oppressed and the weak, because it's right. But to self-aggrandize, lecture, and then shush others? Oh fuck you.

Postby The Fickle Finger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 pm

The Beav wrote:

Half of Warren and Hamtramck used to be made up of DPs. Plenty of those folks had more than a working knowledge of starvation and slave labor and other spin-offs from Mein Kampf.

There are plenty of horror stories out there, and affecting a special interest in one, particularly one where he has no known connection is why Mauser is deserving of eye-rolls and more. Stand for justice, that's cool. And stick up for the oppressed and the weak, because it's right. But to self-aggrandize, lecture, and then shush others? Oh fuck you.

And the Freep reports that this is the person that posted the sign on the Packard. Have fun.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/penny.gaff?fref=ts
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Shark » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm

The Fickle Finger wrote:
The Beav wrote:

And the Freep reports that this is the person that posted the sign on the Packard. Have fun.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/penny.gaff?fref=ts

So much self back-patting. This person is every bit as annoying as Mauser.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby middle aged female » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Since when is Concord and East Grand the "Gateway to Detroit"?

Also, I don't think Penny Gaff is the "artist's" real name.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby The Fickle Finger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:16 pm

middle aged female wrote:Since when is Concord and East Grand the "Gateway to Detroit"?

Also, I don't think Penny Gaff is the "artist's" real name.

Why is there the "gateway" to anywhere? I hate that word, it should be on the banned list that they publish.

But back to Penny, of course she's not real. If she was actually named that, her parents should be gaffed.
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion