Hotfudge Irony???

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Hotfudge Irony???

Postby middle aged female » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm

The Fickle Finger wrote:
middle aged female wrote:Since when is Concord and East Grand the "Gateway to Detroit"?

Also, I don't think Penny Gaff is the "artist's" real name.

Why is there the "gateway" to anywhere? I hate that word, it should be on the banned list that they publish.

But back to Penny, of course she's not real. If she was actually named that, her parents should be gaffed.

From his/her/its Facebook page:
We have become wage slaves, with no alternative, essentially reinstating forced labor.
I placed the sign on the overpass, the gateway to Detroit, the heart of a once booming industrial America, full of capitalist promise and hope.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby The Fickle Finger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:04 pm

middle aged female wrote:
The Fickle Finger wrote:
middle aged female wrote:Since when is Concord and East Grand the "Gateway to Detroit"?

Also, I don't think Penny Gaff is the "artist's" real name.

Why is there the "gateway" to anywhere? I hate that word, it should be on the banned list that they publish.

But back to Penny, of course she's not real. If she was actually named that, her parents should be gaffed.

From his/her/its Facebook page:
We have become wage slaves, with no alternative, essentially reinstating forced labor.
I placed the sign on the overpass, the gateway to Detroit, the heart of a once booming industrial America, full of capitalist promise and hope.

Still not a great descriptor for the overpass. Gateway to anything is the most overused term I know of. Withess the Gateway Marketplace on 8 Mile, for an example of lack of imagination in naming.

So what could the alleged portal to the bowels of hell that is the former Poletown be called?

My pick is Arch De Shithole. Yours?
The Fickle Finger
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Comments about Lowell's fairly unimpressive pics from the Michigan Building of the Rosa Parks transit and Nick's Gaslight:

Today, 08:42 AM #3
kenp

I fell in front of the Gaslight last week. It was one of those funny falls when you try and right your self as you are going down. Nice pics from a true and respected Detroiter

And then you read the outrage about The Cheesecake Factory not locating downtown. Farmington Hills = true Detroiter. Novi = Evil Suburbs
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby D-Day » Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 am

Poor customer service from the IRS

'Nuff said
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby RoryKasel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Maybe they should try talking trash cans instead.

RoryKasel
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:50 pm

In the Lake Orion Community Schools, two school bond proposals lost, with 59 percent voting no on both issues.

The first would have give voters the option to approved $28.7 million in bonds...

Yes, but Crap Journalism would have been too obvious.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby guest » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Judge appoints $600/hour attorney to monitor excessive fees in Detroit bankruptcy
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:49 am

Donating to education! (Meaning: sports)

In Eugene, the University of Oregon’s athlete tutoring center — a $42 million glass and steel temple surrounded by reflecting pools, lit inside by LED and fire — was upstaged by an athletic performance center that includes lockers costing $27,000 each, Brazilian wood floors and a room papered in Ducks football leather.

On an informal tour of the tutoring center last year, courtesy of my Eugene-based sister, I was stunned: There were glammed-up offices where athletes could meet with privately funded tutors, a lavish appointment center for waiting and an auditorium with Ducks-yellow leather seating. Most of the building was reserved for use by athletes. Even the glass-walled, airy Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan didn’t come close to matching the Oregon facility for opulence and imagination.

Ross likely had the same thought. On Wednesday, U-M announced the Michigan-educated real estate developer (net worth $4.4 billion) is donating $100 million to the business school that bears his name. He is also bestowing $100 million on the athletic department, enough to effect the kind of transformation wrought by Nike CEO Phil Knight in Eugene.

Students at the business school can order a quick chef-prepared omelet in the atrium on the way to Entrepreneurship 101, and the school’s gleaming surfaces and state-of-the-art-technology make it a showpiece. These new gifts add another dimension to the Ross legacy.

But for all the fabulousness these gifts portend, they are also exclusive, directed solely toward future moguls and managers, football players and star athletes. The $100 million athletic donation will benefit a few hundred athletes on a campus of more than 42,000 students.

No future doctors, engineers, biologists, teachers or social workers will likely be touched by Ross’ beneficence. Honors College students — the best and brightest of the liberal arts undergrads — reside at West Quad, a 1937 dormitory lacking an elevator. Professors are tucked into warren-like offices in historic buildings that have scarcely been dusted for decades.

U-M athletics and the business school are heavily endowed, but destined to be more so, even as the public funding that built most of the campus shrinks. The passions of the wealthy begin to drive university priorities and to turn students’ heads. Who will opt for the dingy school of education when the ritzy Ross-Carlton campus beckons?

“Philanthropy is a very personal thing. It’s really about matching a donor’s passions and hopes and dreams and what they really want to accomplish with the school’s needs. He is an alum, he has a passion for business and he has a passion for facilities and those came together to create this gift,” said Alison Davis-Blake, dean of the Ross School of Business.

It is simple — a man wants to give — and yet not so simple.

Athletics and business schools are ramping up in the national university priorities arms race. The Ross gift comes only months after Phil Knight’s Oregon athletic center opened, drawing national attention as “the University of Nike.” While U-M President Mary Sue Coleman can hardly be expected to turn down such gifts, rest assured that even a free $200 million doesn’t really come cheap.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2e0h9nFKB
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Beav » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Yesterday, 09:28 AM#6
DetroitPlanner
Originally Posted by Danny

Now the new Belle Isle Metropark will be rehabbed;from mowing the lawn to fixing up public toilets. (With the $11.00 a year parking fee) Let's see if they can bring back the animals and re-open the Belle Isle Zoo.

If any forum members want to do the D-YES Picnic on Memorial Day 2014 bring our some cash. Belle Isle venues are NOT going to be free.

Snyder's plan to conquer Detroit is at hand BOO AH HAHAHAAH!

Metroparks are not State Parks. I have often wondered why Detroit has not screamed more about the $100's of millions of dollars in millages it has given the Metroparks since 1940 when they are all on the fringe of the region.

I guess it's only the fabulous Detroit-Windsor Metro-opolis surrounding the isthmus of the Detroit River region when it directly benefits those who live close to or in Detroit.

Metro Parks were formed where land was readily available. In the 40s, there probably was not a lot of open uninhabited prairie within the city like there is now. Also, Detroit didn't need Metro Parks when the city parks were in decent shape. Folks from the inner ring suburbs happily used Detroit parks.

I don't know what is more ironic. The handwringing about region or making Danny look like a genius.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby D-Day » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 am

Had to drive Mrs. D-Day to the hospital for a colonoscopy this morning. One of my friends is in a metal band called Black Tractor and their disc just happened to be in the CD player in the car and it started playing when I started the car. The song that played? Mountain Of Shit
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Toolbox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:58 am

D-Day wrote:Had to drive Mrs. D-Day to the hospital for a colonoscopy this morning. One of my friends is in a metal band called Black Tractor and their disc just happened to be in the CD player in the car and it started playing when I started the car. The song that played? Mountain Of Shit

Were you found on the side of the road with abrasions??????
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby D-Day » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Toolbox wrote:
D-Day wrote:Had to drive Mrs. D-Day to the hospital for a colonoscopy this morning. One of my friends is in a metal band called Black Tractor and their disc just happened to be in the CD player in the car and it started playing when I started the car. The song that played? Mountain Of Shit

Were you found on the side of the road with abrasions??????

Was totally by chance.........in fact, Mrs. D-Day pointed out the irony and thought it was funny
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby guest » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Union at Cesar Chavez Academy settles unfair labor practices claim

I suppose this only works if you're aware of who Chavez was.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:57 pm

guest wrote:
Union at Cesar Chavez Academy settles unfair labor practices claim

I suppose this only works if you're aware of who Chavez was.

Anyone else remember when the secretaries at Solidarity House went out on strike? Fuck the man. Oh, wait....
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Beav » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:41 am

https://mayday.us/

Raising money to fight the use of money to control politics. As much as I hate the supreme court decision, this seems sort of silly.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion