Stupid Detroit website entry du jour

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Stupid Detroit website entry du jour

Postby Woodwards Friend » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 am

300+ pages of the Detroit YES stupid post du jour wrecked because some piece of shit pervert feared prosecution. In my day the FBI had better things to do then deal with every penny-annie deviant. Hell in my day even the courts had better things to do than deal with that garbage. Back then all we needed was a couple of uniform policeman, a baseball bat, and a dark ally. Not saying I condoned that sort of thing but at the same time I'm not saying I lost sleep because a few pedos drooled when they ate and had to shit in a bag after justice was beat out of them.

Anyway that's enough nostalgia. Let's get down to business. I'm back for good this time. I ain't leaving again. If another left-wing newspaper wants to prattle on about me so be it. I don't like reporters. God damned bastards. I don't like inexactitude.

I could re-start the Detroit YES SPDJ thread but what's the point? They are dumbasses. We know that and hell even they know that now. Let's spread our wings, like that bald-headed idiot would say, and make a study of stupidity on all Detroit websites. Blogs, news sites, promotional sites, message boards, Detroit You Tube stuff, the full nine.

Remember a thread like this you have to start on the bottom and build your way up. Brick by brick. You'll get nothing from me on Boileau. Shoot to high and miss then everyone feels safer. Brick by brick.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Woodwards Friend » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:22 am

Hell I'll start...

Detroit Rising . com

Detroit, the Motor City, a symbol of American industrial strength and a symbol of urban decay in America. These are the images most people have of Detroit. The purpose of this site is to explore and highlight the good, bad and the ugly of Detroit. From the art-deco skyscrapers of downtown and historic Mansions in Boston-Edison the urban blight of Brightmoor and the industrial wasteland in Delray. I hope that with this website I will give people a better understanding of my hometown, Detroit.

Maybe if Detroit stopped being a symbol to every pretentious pseudo-intellectual with basic HTML skills and started being a functional city this dumbass could go back to picking up beer cans on the side of the road.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Dag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:47 am

Well we have to be able to return to the classic dumbass repository once in a while. Like this gem...

Username: Ffdfd
Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:06 pm:
An article in today's Slate includes questions I'm sure many of ask ourselves from time to time:

quote:

Why do people still live in Detroit, which has suffered so much for so long? Why not move to Chicago or New York?

As an employee of the city, I am relieved by the final sentence:

quote:

Detroit will have residents for a long time to come.

http://www.slate.com/id/216183 4/fr/flyout

As a resident of the city I am disturbed that someone that stupid is paid with my tax dollars. DialH nails it with this response...

Username: Dialh4hipster
Post Number: 2006
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:13 pm:

Relieved? How about putting it in context:

quote:

Even if we did all this, economists Ed Glaeser and Joe Gyourko argue that one serious barrier remains: Houses do not walk. No matter how bad things get in Detroit or Treorchy, the houses will still be there, and if they are cheap enough, people will want to live in them. The likely result is a gloomy sort of segregation: Those who feel that they can find a good job in the boom cities will move there and pay the higher rents. Those who are less confident of that would rather have no job in a cheap house than no job in an expensive house. Detroit will have residents for a long time to come.

Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers abandoned us what does that tell you about God? - Tyler Durden
Dag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby gogogander » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:50 am

There is a ton of stupidity on this forum.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index ... owforum=71
gogogander
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby gogodetroit313 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:53 am

Here is another good forum for stupidity.

hey Lmichigan post on all three skyscraper, DY and UP. I wonder if that has anything to do with the stupidity factor.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428
gogodetroit313
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby potato » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:57 am

gogogander wrote:There is a ton of stupidity on this forum.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index ... owforum=71

I actually used to post on urbanplanet quite frequently. Then it basically became an LMichigan love fest, where he would post pictures of crap and everyone would compliment him. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a mod by now. Nowadays, it's just people dreaming about paving over poor neighborhoods and building airports and shit.
potato
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Woodwards Friend » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:05 am

This is what I'm talking about...

Urbanplanet...

MJLO
Rating: 5
post Feb 7 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #304
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4139

Can anyone give a quick rundown of Projects currently underway in Detroit and ones proposed, and of the proposed projects, what are the likeliness of them actually being built? I hear alot of development news out of Detroit, but then little to no substance afterwards.

I'm having trouble getting anything concrete on it, being so far out of the loop from the area.
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Random Douchebag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:06 am

I just opened up one thread at random.
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index ... opic=23171
Wow. Just, wow.
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Postby davecat » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:07 am

Wow, that Urbanplanet site is a treat!

Michi
Member No.: 4261

^Totally agree! The Churchs Chicken across the street too. It HAS to be the next to go. Land is getting to be too valuable along Woodward to have a crappy drive thru restaurant taking up all that space. It attracts a LOT of garbage and is far from easy on the eyes. Especially wedged between the Garfield Building, the Church...and the gas station across the street. There's gas stations at Warren and I-75 for all your gas guzzling needs. Signs can be posted to direct motorists either to that location or to the stations further up across I-94.

Yes, land is far too valuable along Woodward, and it is overdeveloped. Let's demolish one of the functioning businesses on it, so we can build the next Trump Tower. I mean really - Church's Chicken? That attracts too many black, err, I mean, it's got a lot of garbage there.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby davecat » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:11 am

detwaa84
Member No.: 16312

I agree on Crosswinds. Everyday I wish that a new developer would come and buy them and build something that belongs there. Whats even sadder is that they're building even more facing woodward, and putting what should really go there behind them (ie Garden lofts). The entire Brush Park district just seems to look like a big suburban subdivision, with some urbanism. The whole land and streets should have been cleared and completely redeveloped with something more than just plain 2 story condos and isolated mansions with parking lots and huge backyards sorrounding them.

I also wish that they would bulldoze 0-5 year old occupied homes to build ones that suit my tastes. I also wish they would have bulldozed the remaining mansions in the neighborhood to build, um, what the hell does this douchebag want?
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby Dag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:15 am

Lmichigan
Rating: 0
post Mar 16 2007, 01:55 AM
Post #313
Group Icon
Group: Members+
Member No.: 1987

Their site has been under construction for many months, now. They are a local firm, and Mr. Sims has been designing in Detroit for decades, believe it or not. He's done alot of work (renovation, additions) out at Metro Airport.

I'm not sure why (though, I have my suspicions), but there are a lot of local developers, architects, ect...that don't put much stock into their websites, rarely ever answering emails, updating their websites, etc.

Make a film about your suspicions and they will show it at Twingo's on Sunday nights.
Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers abandoned us what does that tell you about God? - Tyler Durden
Dag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Dag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:21 am

kavok

Maybe its just the angle of the picture, but it appears the new Greektown garage is significantly set back from Monroe St. Is the correct? And if so, does anyone know why?

It would seem that if they are having to build up to fit both the hotel and the garage there, that space is a premium. Hence why the setback..

SETBACKS ARE MADE OF PEOPLE! PEOPLE!!
Dag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Random Douchebag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8812
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:36 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ha-ha, oh YEAH, the Big Chill is a bellweather of all idealistic college kids after ten years or so...that was one of the lamest arguments you've EVER offered, Jelk.

You getting enough sleep? Eating OK?

As the momentum flows with Detoit's artistic and music community recognition around the country...and world, as we already have a bunch of interesting folk's interest...we will reach the Tipping Point.

(one of my favorite 'connectors' in the whole wide world tipped me towards that book the other night!)

(read the description in that Amazon.com page to learn about the term)

Cheers, while I continue to watch the foundational roots for Detroit's unlikely and unexpected blooming continue to grow, sinking deeper and deeper into the collective psyche.

I don't expect one reared in a monied life to understand this easily, but there is hope, I hope.

You apply for that afternoon news show yet?! Heh.

What a douchebag. Trying to school someone using book published seven years ago? Thanks, douchebag! I learned what the word meant then.
Random Douchebag
Hot Fudge Everyman

Postby jmy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:07 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Futurecity, you don't know what you are talking about re: 55 West, Willy's, and South University Village. They absolutely count and they never would have happened without Wayne State being part of the development.

When it comes down to it, I would much rather have Wayne State controlling the vacant parcels in the neighborhood and partner with developers in the future as opposed to private individuals who may build any crappy building to get back their investment. So friend, stick with what you know which is not Wayne State development. You are probably right regarding development decisions made in the previous 2 decades but since 2000 Wayne State is absolutely on the right track and committed to their 2020 plan, which you should read.

It created the vacant parcels, you stupid, newcomer asshole.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby gogodetroit313 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:59 pm:

Thanks for calling me an idiot, Skulker.

Less recent Wayne State projects have been nothing short of a disaster for the North Cass neighborhood. More recent projects are a mixed bag at best.

The new Law School is anti-pedestrian. Somehow in all their infinite Wisdom, Wayne chose to set back the building 75 yards from the sidewalk and put parking in front of it (complete with a guard gate). Even though there is an enormous parking deck directly across the street. A horrible decision that truly gives a mediocre building that "Northwestern Highway Office Building Feel". Perhaps you didn't notice.

The Overland Lofts and 55 W Canfield are being developed privately, so they do not count. Funny how WSU unloaded both of these proper urban buildings.

I haven't seen anything built yet in the South University Village project by Wayne, so the jury is still out on that. Hopefully it will make up for the Giant Eyesore Graduate Housing dorm that they landed on Cass and Canfield.

The new dorms on Third are better than expected, but the buildings and most of the retail are too far from the street. Perhaps this was the best they could do considering the earlier disaster that Wayne State created with the demolition and widening of Third into the semi-ring road of Anthony Wayne drive - truly another major downgrade foisted upon the neighborhood.

How long has the site at Palmer and Woodward been a fenced, surface parking lot? 8 years? They demolished the historic Gleaners building on this site for what? Parking? Yukons and Durangos now happily reside there.

As stated earlier, at best, Wayne's development has been a mixed bag. Yes they bring students activity and investment. But slowly they have acquired portion after portion of the North Cass neighborhood, destroyed it through demolition, created long-term surface parking lots with fences (lovely), and maybe 10-15 years down the line build something that in the end, is still unsuited for an urban neighborhood.

Where does this asshole want the building built right next to the curb. Another dumbass that doesn't have a clue.

Also if he is so angry about the parking lot on Palmer and Ferry why doesn't he donate the 25 mil needed so the new business school can be built.
Last edited by gogodetroit313 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogodetroit313
Hot Fudge Regular

Next

Return to General Discussion