Crazy White People

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Re: Crazy White People

Postby Donald Goines » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:11 am

One ugly ass house in one ugly ass neighborhood even has a website.

Crazy crazy crazy.

http://www.2126pierce.com/
Donald Goines
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Donald Goines wrote:One ugly ass house in one ugly ass neighborhood even has a website.

Crazy crazy crazy.

http://www.2126pierce.com/

To Thomas Gardner’s own admission, the architects “were no sociologists”.

Hell, they weren't even architects.

Many people applied, but the most worthy was ultimately selected.

Only the worthiest of the worthy need apply.

After only a few months, the home became neglected of basic maintenance, pet feces piled up, the lawn was not maintained...

Worthy?, yes; Responsible?, not so much, but just think what would have become of the place in the hands of an unworthy tenant.

It was then donated to Motor City Blight Busters. Seemingly outside of their scope of work and geographic area...

Too blighted? Not blighted enough? Too much in the middle of the Motor City? Too east of center?

So it got flipped. And flipped, And flipped some more until they found a mark, er, I mean an investor who purchased Chez Aubin as part of a package.

She paid $600,000 for the whole lot, or $10,000 per house.

Sounds like a deal...ANYWHERE BUT DETROIT!!!

He went through three 30 yard dumpsters...

A 900 square foot dwelling, correct? So much for that conservation of mass thing.

This Cranbrook connection makes sense. It's among the most respected graduate art programs in the country, but as far as I can see it's really just people fucking around and wasting money. A few years ago I went to a Cranbrook graduate dissertation exhibition at MOCAD. They had furniture, the kind of impractical pieces that fine art furniture makers come up with, and it didn't take much looking to see peeling veneer, missed cuts, etc. No, if you're going to make art furniture it better fucking be perfect, or least built at a level of execution that would pass at Art Van. As for the non-sociologist and wannabe architects, well, Things You Expect to Hear.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:56 am

I've been to this house and the couple are terribly nice and polite folks (Kaebnick went to grammar school with my brother-in-law) and I still think they're both crazy as shithouse rats.

DETROIT — Many residents of high-cost areas entertain the dream, at least occasionally: Give up the rent or mortgage grind, liquidate assets and start over someplace cheaper, perhaps one that could use a few spirited new residents.

Amy Haimerl and her husband, Karl Kaebnick, fell hard for Detroit and thought they could make their own dream of financial freedom come true when they moved here in 2013. But this is what happened: They put more than $400,000 (including all of their retirement savings) into a 3,000-square-foot, 102-year-old home in the city’s West Village neighborhood that was most recently appraised at just $300,000.

They claim, however, to be 100 percent satisfied and genuinely happy. Which raises a question: Are they insane?

Ms. Haimerl’s book about their migration and renovation adventure, “Detroit Hustle,” will be out on May 3. It’s a love song sung to a house and a city, but it’s also a money memoir, one marked by ignorance at the outset and a triumph of feelings over financial facts. It does not end in ruin, but it does end in debt.

So let’s start with those facts. Ms. Haimerl, who is 40, and Mr. Kaebnick, 44, had about $10,000 in liquid assets when they decided to move. They settled on a house on a block where only two homes were boarded up.

They bought the smaller one, a wreck with no wires or radiators or doors or pipes, for $35,000, liquidating Ms. Haimerl’s retirement account to close without a mortgage. “There is essentially nothing left inside the walls,” she writes in her book. “What we have is a pile of bricks with character.”

For the renovation, they were counting on the $110,000 that would be left from Mr. Kaebnick’s accounts. The previous owners had figured it would take $150,000 or so to make it habitable. What could go wrong?

Well, the couple was missing two crucial bits of knowledge, one about the Detroit market and the other about themselves.

First, they realized only after they had bought the house that there were no construction loans available. That was because there wasn’t any evidence that after renovation, homes like theirs would be worth more than what it would cost to fix them. So whatever work the couple wanted to do, they would have to pay for it themselves. Then, they could try to get a mortgage after the work was done and take out cash to repay any other debts they incurred along the way.

And it turned out that there were a lot of those debts, in part because the couple misjudged the amount of work they would need and want to do. They started by looking at options for doing just $100,000 of work, but that might have forced them to move in without any water. The only contractor who made them feel comfortable figured it would take $300,000.

He went to work, and they ended up spending $400,000 total, not including the purchase price. You’ve heard versions of this story before, but the specifics here involved a balcony from a crumbling church that made incredible wainscoting but begged for matching custom woodwork and installation that eventually cost $65,000.

So they borrowed $75,000 from Ms. Haimerl’s father and $40,000 from her grandparents and aunt. Mr. Kaebnick’s family chipped in with kitchen appliances in lieu of a wedding or a gift, and the rest came from a $25,000 Lending Club loan, $50,000 in USAA personal loans and some credit card debt.

The result is by no means extravagant, though it is a lot of space for two people with no designs on having children. The interior trim is bare, and the house still needs paint in many rooms. It’s missing a porch, and the garage out back is crumbling.

On paper, Ms. Haimerl is about the last person you would expect to go all in like this. She grew up poor and lost a house to a foreclosure in Denver several years ago, when a previous relationship disintegrated. She has even worked as a personal finance editor.

The money scold in me believes she should have known better, but she believes she knows plenty. “As a contractor’s daughter, I grew up with men who want to do it right,” she said. “You don’t skimp on work now because you pay for it later.” So they shored up the roof and rebuilt the rear of the structure.

Then, there is her take on retirement. Her father had $75,000 to lend to her because he had been forced to liquidate a once-thriving business that he built after the family’s earlier lean years. “I never grew up with any idea that there would be retirement,” she said. “You were trying not to go to a payday lender. My dad’s retirement was supposed to be the business.”

Ms. Haimerl is a writer and Mr. Kaebnick is a computer programmer, and perhaps they can work well into their 70s or 80s. In the meantime, their net worth is negative. They did get a mortgage after the work was done, and the appraiser assigned the $300,000 value to their home, a triumph in their neighborhood at the time.

They pulled most of that money out in a mortgage to repay many of their other debts and write a giant check to their contractor, Calvin Garfield. They still owe him about $80,000, but aspiring Detroit residents should not expect loose terms if they come to town.

“I’m confident other contractors would not have made the same call,” Mr. Garfield said. “But I do think everyone we have done business with has become a friend, and in that mix of things, this seemed to be the right thing to do.”

The couple desperately wants to repay him, and because their income is just over $100,000, they expect to do so sooner rather than later. Ms. Haimerl freelances, and they have an Airbnb side business going using some of that 3,000 square feet. For just $65 a night, aspiring Detroit residents can soak up plenty of sober-minded advice and bear witness to the kind of house that a lot of money and worry can buy.

But how best to explain away their lack of retirement savings? Plenty of people who sank their life savings into real estate in less desirable parts of Brooklyn or San Francisco a decade or two ago are probably thrilled.

So is that how they think about the money they have put into their Detroit dream? That they bet on a city instead of a bunch of stocks? “We have gotten gun-shy about talking that way,” Ms. Haimerl said. “People here say, ‘How dare you treat our city like an investment.’”

Mr. Kaebnick said he understood the sentiment. “So many people who stuck it out here for so long never had anything to show for it,” he said. “To them, we might come across as privileged newcomers who are going to ride it to the bank.”

In fact, they are true believers who love the city enough to go all in and then some. Others have found their own way of demonstrating their commitment to the city, and at least one of them, Drew Philp, is writing his own book about the house he bought for $500 and fixed up without borrowing anything. His BuzzFeed story about the experience describes the two winters he had without much, if any, heat, among many other unsettling experiences.

Families without the means for $400,000 investments or the fortitude to see their breath indoors can buy houses that have electricity and running water for half that amount or less. And a new program called Detroit Home Mortgage aims to make it possible for people to get loans before they start their renovations.

In the meantime, Ms. Haimerl and Mr. Kaebnick have not found financial freedom in Detroit, though they insist that they are so much richer for having moved. In a poignant moment early in her book, Ms. Haimerl describes gazing longingly into a window in a newly gentrified Denver neighborhood, before her dream of homeownership there turned into a nightmare. The living room looked like luxury, a place where the residents weren’t constantly hustling to hold things together.

Aspiring homeowners in Detroit may well walk down her street someday soon, see her through the window and wonder how she had it so good. Would they be jealous? Should they be?

“I thought maybe that once you were inside the window, you didn’t have to hustle,” she said. “But the truth is, we’re all hustling.”

Correction: April 22, 2016
An earlier version of this article misstated the surname of the contractor hired by Amy Haimerl and Karl Kaebnick for their home in Detroit. It is Calvin Garfield, not Maxwell.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/your-money/in-a-big-hole-for-a-detroit-house-but-happy.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=1
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:07 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:I've been to this house and the couple are terribly nice and polite folks (Kaebnick went to grammar school with my brother-in-law) and I still think they're both crazy as shithouse rats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/your-money/in-a-big-hole-for-a-detroit-house-but-happy.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=1

Oh boy. Those dumb bastards...

I'm no expert, but by the time a person hits their 40s I'm thinking that they should be well on their way with funding their retirement plans, should have equity in their home, and generally be surrounded by the pecuniary trappings of a life well-planned and well-executed. Holy smokes.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:47 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:I've been to this house and the couple are terribly nice and polite folks (Kaebnick went to grammar school with my brother-in-law) and I still think they're both crazy as shithouse rats.

Oh boy. Those dumb bastards...

I'm no expert, but by the time a person hits their 40s I'm thinking that they should be well on their way with funding their retirement plans, should have equity in their home, and generally be surrounded by the pecuniary trappings of a life well-planned and well-executed. Holy smokes.

I found this snippet from the book to be a bit grating:
I want that rainbow, that omen, to be for all of Detroit. I feel like things are improving, but I know they may only be improving for people who look like me or who have means like me. I don’t know what the answers are, but I’m insisting on having the hard, sometimes uncomfortable conversations.
How as a city do we take the lessons of Brooklyn, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver—all those booming “winner” cities—and apply what works and jettison the things that bring inequality? How do we make sure we do not continue to be one of the centers of America’s forgotten people and places? . . .

There's poor black people in Brooklyn, San Francisco, Seattle and Denver, too, and they got left behind the same way poor black people in Detroit will be left behind: They've got no money and they've got no way to borrow money because no one will lend them the money. I'm sure there are plenty of motivated, sincere black folks out there who want the same kind of life this couple has ... they just can't afford it (and not many people want them to afford it). Like it or not, that's American history in 20 seconds.

I'm all for people trying to change the world, but having "hard, sometimes uncomfortable" conversations about the way the world is just makes you annoying.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Mulligan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:29 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:by the time a person hits their 40s I'm thinking that they should be well on their way with funding their retirement plans, should have equity in their home

When I was 40 I had a decent amount of equity in my home. Eight-plus years on since the crash and the break-even point remains somewhere far over the horizon. Best laid plans ...
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon May 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Mulligan wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:by the time a person hits their 40s I'm thinking that they should be well on their way with funding their retirement plans, should have equity in their home

When I was 40 I had a decent amount of equity in my home. Eight-plus years on since the crash and the break-even point remains somewhere far over the horizon. Best laid plans ...

Yeah, but there's an important difference between one who bumbles into an epic string of boneheaded moves and the other who get torpedoed along with everyone else in a market collapse. Both are hurting, but the later can be excused as well as likely has the wherewithal to recover.

Postby Toolbox » Wed May 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Police: Man used fake $100 bill for lap dance

A Genesee County man faces charges after he allegedly used a counterfeit $100 bill to pay for a lap dance at a strip club in the Saginaw area, according to the Saginaw County Sheriff’s Department.

Stephen C. Gidcumb, 32, allegedly paid a stripper with the fake bill during a visit May 13 to the Deja Vu club in Kochville Township, authorities said.

“He had some counterfeit $100 bills mixed in with regular $100 bills he was using to pay the one stripper he was getting dances from,” said Lt. Mike Gomez with the sheriff’s office. “They figured out it was counterfeit and called the police.”

After paying the stripper Gidcumb, who had been sitting in the VIP section, left the club. Deputies arrested him when he returned to the club that evening.

Deputies got consent from Gibcumb’s parents to search their home where he lives with them. In the basement they found printing equipment and counterfeit money, Gomez said.

cwilliams@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2311

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /84511402/
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed May 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Toolbox wrote:
Police: Man used fake $100 bill for lap dance

A Genesee County man faces charges after he allegedly used a counterfeit $100 bill to pay for a lap dance at a strip club in the Saginaw area, according to the Saginaw County Sheriff’s Department.

Stephen C. Gidcumb, 32, allegedly paid a stripper with the fake bill during a visit May 13 to the Deja Vu club in Kochville Township, authorities said.

“He had some counterfeit $100 bills mixed in with regular $100 bills he was using to pay the one stripper he was getting dances from,” said Lt. Mike Gomez with the sheriff’s office. “They figured out it was counterfeit and called the police.”

After paying the stripper Gidcumb, who had been sitting in the VIP section, left the club. Deputies arrested him when he returned to the club that evening.

Deputies got consent from Gibcumb’s parents to search their home where he lives with them. In the basement they found printing equipment and counterfeit money, Gomez said.

cwilliams@detroitnews.com

(313) 222-2311

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /84511402/

The giveaway was that someone in Genesee County had $100.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Beav » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:32 am

X-post to Darwinism...

This photo popped up on my FB thread this morning. One of my fellow 1986 grads had a little problem with the fireworks this year. Knowing this tool it was a combination of boozing, smoking dope, short man syndrome, false confidence from his stint in the army and probably just his plain old stupidity that caused this:

Oh, and he's a Trump supporter... 'Merica.

The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby middle aged female » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:36 am

The Beav wrote:X-post to Darwinism...

This photo popped up on my FB thread this morning. One of my fellow 1986 grads had a little problem with the fireworks this year. Knowing this tool it was a combination of boozing, smoking dope, short man syndrome, false confidence from his stint in the army and probably just his plain old stupidity that caused this:

Oh, and he's a Trump supporter... 'Merica.

Dear God; I hadn't had breakfast yet..
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby guest » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Wind blows 1,500 American boaters into Canada

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37157478

Have you seen the St Clair River? It has huge waves and a mean current. People die in the Detroit River, and the St Clair makes the DR look like a skating rink. I would only enter that water on a substantial vessel with an experienced, and sober, hand at the wheel.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:04 pm

http://nypost.com/2016/10/27/oregon-militia-leaders-acquitted-in-wildlife-refuge-standoff/

Oregon occupiers were acquitted of all charges, namely weapons and conspiracy. What a load of shit. I can only hope that if they'd been tried on charges of being assholes and abusive of public property then they'd have gone down.

Postby middle aged female » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:03 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:http://nypost.com/2016/10/27/oregon-militia-leaders-acquitted-in-wildlife-refuge-standoff/

Oregon occupiers were acquitted of all charges, namely weapons and conspiracy. What a load of shit. I can only hope that if they'd been tried on charges of being assholes and abusive of public property then they'd have gone down.

Nah, there's no such thing as white privilege; the white judge and white jury had nothing to do with these white necks getting off.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:17 am

middle aged female wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:http://nypost.com/2016/10/27/oregon-militia-leaders-acquitted-in-wildlife-refuge-standoff/

Nah, there's no such thing as white privilege; the white judge and white jury had nothing to do with these white necks getting off.

And meanwhile, they're doing a Birmingham '63 number on the folks protesting the oil pipeline. And from what I've read about the Bundy Bunch's trial, the prosecutor hardly fucked up. Shit, his closing argument (accurately) included the statement that common sense called for a guilty verdict strictly based on the evidence presented.
The Suburban Avenger

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion