Detroit Pistons

Discuss all sports news here

Detroit Pistons

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Preseason starts tonight against Miami.

I wonder if someone sent this article to Webber.

It wasn't Chris Webber's fault the Pistons fell apart in the final four games against Cleveland in the Eastern Conference finals. Nobody is saying that. It was a total team collapse; nobody, as president Joe Dumars said, escaped without a share of the blame.

But it appears obvious now, looking at it from a distance of some four months, that Webber's presence altered in a not altogether positive way the on-court chemistry of what had been one of the league's best starting units.

Richard Hamilton's production went down after Webber arrived. Hamilton admitted last week that it was partly due to trying to facilitate Webber.

"I guess I kind of took my foot off the pedal," he said.

Tayshaun Prince, who had been off to a career-best start, became almost an afterthought in the Pistons' offense.

Playing alongside Webber on defense, Rasheed Wallace was often left on an island, which led him into early frustration and foul trouble.

And then there was Chauncey Billups. He went from having the ball in his hands most of the time and making all the offensive decisions, to trying to get the ball to Webber and working off whatever decisions Webber made.

"After we got C-Webb, things didn't really change, but they got different," Billups said. "We were trying to get him incorporated into what we were doing. He was such a huge part of what we were doing, especially when he had it going. He made the game a lot easier for us. But a lot of times, the ball was out of my hands. We were trying to get it to him at the elbows and let him make all the great plays that he can make."

Had Webber been able to sustain his early efficiency and production, the Pistons would probably have played in their third NBA Finals and he would still be the starting center. From Jan. 20 through March 16, the Webber-led Pistons went 21-6 and looked invincible.

But it didn't work that way. Webber contracted a nasty flu during the team's West Coast trip that lingered for a couple of weeks, destroying his conditioning and derailing his season. He had been averaging 15 points and 9 rebounds over the final 15 games of that 21-6 run. In the final 14 games of the regular season, he managed just 6.4 points and 5.2 rebounds.

The Pistons were forced to revert to their pre-Webber ways and never regained their offensive efficiency.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 0357&imw=Y
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:03 pm

"After we got C-Webb, things didn't really change, but they got different,"

Moderator: HFD Contradictions Thread por favor.
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:20 am

The Pistons ended the exhibition season at .500 with a 104-85 win over the Washington Wizards on Wednesday night at the Palace. But the preseason concluded on a resoundingly disappointing note thanks to another injury.

Rookie point guard Rodney Stuckey broke his left (non-shooting) hand in the third quarter, and the team is unsure how long he'll be out.

"We'll have to wait and see what transpires tomorrow when they get a chance to really look at it and evaluate it," coach Flip Saunders said. "Then we'll know what the timetable is. It's really disappointing."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... /710250435

Well that sucks.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby hoog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am

As a season ticket holder, I was at the game last night. I saw him come off the court and wondered how hurt he might be. Also, because I'm a season ticket holder, I noticed that he was having a good little pre-season. Well, hopefully, since it's his non-shooting hand, it doesn't take him too many games, games in which I stand a good chance of being at, being a season ticket holder, to come back.
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:28 am

Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:45 pm

Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton will miss the team's season opener at Miami on Thursday because of a family emergency and rookie Arron Afflalo was expected to start in his place.

Hamilton could rejoin the Pistons in Orlando on Friday, coach Flip Saunders said.

Hamilton averaged a team-high 19.8 points last season.

Detroit won two of three games between the teams last season and split two games in Miami.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3089731
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby hoog » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Andy wrote:
Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton will miss the team's season opener at Miami on Thursday because of a family emergency and rookie Arron Afflalo was expected to start in his place.

Hamilton could rejoin the Pistons in Orlando on Friday, coach Flip Saunders said.

Detroit won two of three games between the teams last season and split two games in Miami.

That sucks...they should beat Miami without him, though.
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:03 am

hoog wrote:
Andy wrote:

That sucks...they should beat Miami without him, though.

Nobody can say you don't know how to predict around here, at least in this section of the message board.

In the first half, Heat forward Udonis Haslem chattered away at Tayshaun Prince as the Pistons small forward walked off the floor. Prince smiled and shook his head, choosing not to get into a verbal showdown.

He let his play do his talking.

The Pistons’ most invisible starter opened the season with a career-high 34 points and 12 rebounds as the Pistons beat Miami, 91-80.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... f=AR&imw=Y
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby hoog » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:06 am

Is it pretty obvious that Shaq's close to done? I know he didn't play any preseason games, therefore he might not be in the best of shape yet, but holy moly. Reggie even said during the broadcast, "2 years ago, that would have been an and-1". Referring to a play where Shaq received the ball on the block, turned around and sent a Piston, I think McDyess, sprawling out of bounds. Instead the charge was called against Shaq.

Another good Reggie line was in reference to that rookie Dorrell(?), when he said if you want to make a good first impression and play tough D, you shouldn't let your man score 34 points. His man was Tayshaun.

It seems like Flip doesn't exactly know what the rotation is yet. Hopefully Maxeill continues to be a large part of it.
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen

Postby Dan Gilbert » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:47 am

Dan Gilbert
Jesus of Mortgage-lehem

Postby Andy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:35 am

By Peter May, Globe Staff | December 16, 2007

The Heat are a mess. The Bulls are a mess. The Nets are a mess. Those three, all thought to be legitimate playoff teams, were 18 games under .500 entering last night, with Miami, less than two years removed from an NBA title, holding down the cellar. None would even make the playoffs if the season ended today.

Ah, but then there are the Pistons. We'll always have Auburn Hills.

One quarter into the season, you can scan the Eastern Conference and see one team, really, that poses any threat to the rampaging Celtics. Yup, it's the Pistons, who make their first Boston appearance of the season Wednesday.

Orlando might pose a threat on paper, but how can you take the Magic as seriously as Detroit with a stretch they just went through, i.e. home losses to Atlanta and Indiana and a road loss to Milwaukee?

No, it's Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, and the fellas who have to concern Celtics fans - if any team in the East does. Heading into the weekend, the Pistons had the second-best point differential in the league (well behind the Celtics, though) and still have that enviable mix of youth, experience, and playoff savvy.

Just think of the run they've had (which shows no sign of abating, either). They've won 50 or more games six straight seasons; no other Eastern Conference team currently has as many as three straight 50-win seasons. They've made five straight trips to the conference finals, matching the run of the vaunted Bad Boys teams from 1987-91. In that span, they've twice made it to the Finals, losing in 2005 and winning in 2004. They've done it under three coaches, but the constants remain on the floor (the aforementioned lads, who've been the anchors the last four years along with Tayshaun Prince) and in the front office (the venerable tag team of Joe Dumars and John Hammond).

With 16 wins in the first 23 games the Pistons are on course for another 50-win season and Dumars is pleased with what he sees. He was not so inclined last spring, when he watched the Pistons blow a 2-0 lead in the conference finals and drop four straight to the Cavaliers. He talked afterward of restoring the team's edge, grit, and toughness, traits he had when he played and traits he tries to instill in his players.

"We came back with a very good focus," Dumars said by telephone Friday. "And we've added some youth, depth, and athleticism to the team. I'm pleased with what I've seen over the first 20 games."

While the Pistons can point to early contributions from the likes of Jason Maxiell and Arron Afflalo, and anxiously await the debut of impressive rookie Rodney Stuckey (hand surgery), this is still a team whose success hinges on those names that have become so familiar to us over these last five years. But as with any group that has had prolonged success, it is natural to see some slippage at some point, which Dumars saw last spring in the playoffs.

There is no way the Pistons should have lost to the Cavaliers, let alone lose four straight. But they did. Dumars still can't bring himself to watch a tape of Game 5, when LeBron James went otherworldly. Or Game 6, when Daniel Gibson put on a shooting clinic from Youngstown. It's too painful. And too revealing.

"If you're honest with yourself," he said, "something like that is bound to kick in when you've had the success we've had, five straight trips to the conference finals. That's why it's imperative for me in my job to push the envelope, to push the buttons. We need to keep the main components we have and add to them. We have a great core here."

These Pistons score - they are averaging 99.3 points a game through their first 23. They are among the league leaders in turnovers (fewest committed) and in assist-to-turnover ratio. Only the Celtics allow fewer points a game, so they're also able to make stops. And they're among the league leaders in blocked shots.

The NBA and one of its broadcast arms, ESPN, recognized the attraction of Wednesday's game by moving it to its early game for the night. And, in a real break for both teams and their fans, each team will have had two offdays prior to Wednesday's game. No one will be on the second leg of a back-to-back, which so often happens during the season.

Unfortunately, it will be the first of just three regular-season meetings. But based on what we've seen over the first quarter of the season, we could be in store for a few more in May. The Pistons have played four different teams in the conference finals the last five years. Is Boston going to be No. 5?

"Obviously," Dumars said, "Boston is going to be a force in the East that everyone is going to have to deal with."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ne?mode=PF
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby coreytron » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:31 pm

Nothing to worry about for the P-Men, now that the Beastmaster has a spot on their bench.

coreytron
Hot Fudge Media Elite

Postby chad sexington » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:33 pm

My GOD...he looks like a fucking tennis player...
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Ya Mar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:37 pm

chad sexington wrote:My GOD...he looks like a fucking tennis player...

You are right --

"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby davecat » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:43 am

Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Next

Return to Sports Forum