HFD Misc Sports Type Stuff

Discuss all sports news here

HFD Misc Sports Type Stuff

Postby The Beav » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:39 pm

This past September a French Hydroplane sailboat started it's quest to be the first sail-powered boat to travel 50 knots (about 57 miles/hour) They've already set the sail speed record on April 4, with a speed of 44.81 knots.

http://www.hydroptere.com/_en
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Shark » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:56 pm

Former QB Jake Plummer's handball odyssey.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7220039
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Re: HFD Misc Sports Type Stuff

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:12 pm

thebeav wrote:This past September a French Hydroplane sailboat started it's quest to be the first sail-powered boat to travel 50 knots (about 57 miles/hour) They've already set the sail speed record on April 4, with a speed of 44.81 knots.

http://www.hydroptere.com/_en

Thats fucking awesome.
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby hoog » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:58 pm

Rays, Twins finish 6-player deal including Young, Garza

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins weren't worried about Delmon Young's troubled past. They wanted his bat, and they wanted it badly.

Young was traded by Tampa Bay to Minnesota on Wednesday night as part of a six-player deal that sent right-hander Matt Garza to the Rays.

In a swap of promising youngsters that's been discussed for weeks, the Twins also gave up starting shortstop Jason Bartlett and minor league pitcher Eduardo Morlan while acquiring shortstop Brendan Harris and minor league outfielder Jason Pridie.

The deal was first reported by ESPN.com's Keith Law.

"I've grown up a lot over the last couple of years," Young said on a conference call with the Minnesota media. "I'm getting older and wiser. It's going to happen with some players when you are 18 years old, thrown into the world with a little money in your pocket."

While many in baseball have been waiting for Minnesota to make a blockbuster deal, this wasn't it. The Twins are involved in trade talks involving ace Johan Santana, who can become a free agent after next season.

Young, though, was runner-up for AL Rookie of the Year this season and gives Minnesota an athletic replacement for All-Star Torii Hunter -- at least in the lineup if not in center field.

A seven-time Gold Glove winner, Hunter agreed to a $90 million, five-year contract with the Los Angeles Angels last week, leaving the Twins in dire need of a proven outfielder.

"Coming into the offseason our first priority was to improve our offense," new Twins general manager Bill Smith said. "We took a hit last week when Torii left, but Delmon Young has been the guy we've been targeting since the end of the season. We feel he is the best bat available, and we're excited to get him."

In addition to the Young deal, the Rays are also close to a multiyear deal for reliever Troy Percival, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3131988

huh?
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:09 pm

hoog wrote:
Rays, Twins finish 6-player deal including Young, Garza

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins weren't worried about Delmon Young's troubled past. They wanted his bat, and they wanted it badly.

Young was traded by Tampa Bay to Minnesota on Wednesday night as part of a six-player deal that sent right-hander Matt Garza to the Rays.

In a swap of promising youngsters that's been discussed for weeks, the Twins also gave up starting shortstop Jason Bartlett and minor league pitcher Eduardo Morlan while acquiring shortstop Brendan Harris and minor league outfielder Jason Pridie.

The deal was first reported by ESPN.com's Keith Law.

"I've grown up a lot over the last couple of years," Young said on a conference call with the Minnesota media. "I'm getting older and wiser. It's going to happen with some players when you are 18 years old, thrown into the world with a little money in your pocket."

While many in baseball have been waiting for Minnesota to make a blockbuster deal, this wasn't it. The Twins are involved in trade talks involving ace Johan Santana, who can become a free agent after next season.

Young, though, was runner-up for AL Rookie of the Year this season and gives Minnesota an athletic replacement for All-Star Torii Hunter -- at least in the lineup if not in center field.

A seven-time Gold Glove winner, Hunter agreed to a $90 million, five-year contract with the Los Angeles Angels last week, leaving the Twins in dire need of a proven outfielder.

"Coming into the offseason our first priority was to improve our offense," new Twins general manager Bill Smith said. "We took a hit last week when Torii left, but Delmon Young has been the guy we've been targeting since the end of the season. We feel he is the best bat available, and we're excited to get him."

In addition to the Young deal, the Rays are also close to a multiyear deal for reliever Troy Percival, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3131988

huh?

Is this Perverted du Jour or Awesome Statements from the Sportsworld?
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby hoog » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:23 am

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4386

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:43 pm: Edit PostDelete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
It is one heckova game right now, CMU just came back to score 28 points in the 3rd quarter to knot the game at 41 and the place is going wild.

Go Chips!

Interesting side note that I just noticed... Andre Ware is doing the color commentary. I always wondered what happened to him. He is doing a great job and is very likeable.

Codespeak or Girls Knowledge of Sports? The eternal question...Andre Ware has been at least reporting at college football games for like 10 years.
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen

Postby chad sexington » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:25 am

I always wondered what happened to him.

Type "Andre Ware" into Google braniac...
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:53 pm

FYI - top story in this morning's on-line edition of the Journal...

McCarty set to join Flint Generals
Posted by Brendan Savage | The Flint Journal December 29, 2007 22:21PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint, Sports, Top Stories
One of the most popular players in modern Detroit Red Wings history is on the verge of becoming a Flint General.

Rugged winger Darren McCarty, who spent 11 seasons in Detroit, has agreed to sign with the Generals in an attempt to revive his career and get back to the National Hockey League.

McCarty, who has been out of hockey since his contract with the Calgary Flames expired last season, probably won't be in Flint for long.

The plan is for him to spend between two and four weeks with the Generals in order to get back into game shape. Then, he hopes to eventually land a job with an NHL club, either after his stint in Flint is over or following a stop in the American Hockey League.

McCarty, 35, won't play in Monday's home game against the Port Huron Icehawks because some contract issues have to worked out with the International Hockey League and he has to be cleared by the NHL before returning to pro hockey, according to the Generals.

But he's expected to skate with the Generals in practice at 10 a.m. Monday and hold a brief autograph session at the game later that day. Monday morning's practice will be open to the public.

The Generals have been in talks with McCarty for about two weeks.

"Obviously, we're excited as an organization to help Darren in his attempt to find an NHL job," Generals director of hockey operations Ron Sanko said Saturday. "It gives our organization credibility. It brings so much off the ice to the younger kids.

"It's going to be good for the whole team ... the leadership in the dressing room and the work ethics our players will see that it takes to be a Stanley Cup champion. It can only benefit the Flint Generals and those players looking to move up to a higher level."

McCarty (6-1, 215) has played 742 NHL games, racking up 126 goals, 160 assists and 1,450 penalty minutes. In 157 playoff games, he has 22 goals, 25 assists and 209 PIM.

His most memorable goal came when he scored the Stanley Cup clincher in Game 4 of the 1997 finals against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Skating on the Red Wings famous Grind Line with Kirk Maltby and Kris Draper -- one of the Generals owners -- McCarty helped the Red Wings win three Stanley Cups.

His most memorable moment came near the end of the 1996-97 season, when he pummeled Claude Lemieux of the Colorado Avalanche as a payback for an incident involving Draper the previous season.

Lemieux checked Draper into the boards in the 1996 playoffs, leaving Draper with numerous facial injuries and his career in doubt.

McCarty sought revenge the following season in an incident virtually every Red Wings fan remembers vividly, dropping his gloves and beating the daylights out of Lemieux, who did not fight back.

That helped turn the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry into one of the fiercest in all of sports.

The last couple of years have been rough for McCarty, who got divorced and filed for bankruptcy.

McCarty could not be reached for comment but while attending a Red Wings game last month at Joe Louis Arena he told the Detroit News he was eager to resume his career.

"I want to play for sure," he told The News. "I'd like to give it a shot and catch on with somebody and play. I think I can still play. I still think I can bring something to the team -- that intangible stuff, leadership, a spark.

"I'm willing to start at the bottom and work my way up, prove myself. I still think there's gas in the tank."

For more Generals coverage, read Brendan Savage's blog at blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/savagethoughts

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/12/exred_wings_mccarty_set_to_joi.html
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Mulligan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:46 pm

One for the translation thread:

"I still think I can bring something to the team -- that intangible stuff, leadership, a spark." = I wouldn't be the best player on most over-30 beer league teams at the IMA but please hire me because I really need the money.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby The Beav » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:39 pm

I think Frank needs to go by a dozen tix to the next Generals home game and we make a night of it. HFD Generals Nite at the IMA! I'll try to find my old Saginaw Gears stocking cap.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Shark » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:37 pm

I'll dig out my old Spirits tuque.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby chad sexington » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:21 am

Guess we won't be seeing Darren in the poker room as much...
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Mulligan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Does anyone else expect John David Booty to attempt a presidential assassination some day?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:17 pm

thebeav wrote:I think Frank needs to go by a dozen tix to the next Generals home game and we make a night of it. HFD Generals Nite at the IMA! I'll try to find my old Saginaw Gears stocking cap.

I'm trying to round up my GB crowd for the Friday game: the man's planned debut. If anyone blows into town you will NOT find me in the alcohol-free section (#15, I believe).
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Mulligan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:16 pm

I thought I had dyslexia when I read this article. Threet is 6'5" -- I didn't know AHS graduated anyone taller than 5'6".

NEXT MICHIGAN QB? Why smart Steven Threet could start

January 11, 2008

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

Ryan Mallett has left the Michigan football team. And it’s a mystery who will be the Wolverines’ starting quarterback next season.

Some fans are hoping Terrelle Pryor, the nation's No. 1 quarterback recruit, will choose Michigan over other teams, including Ohio State.

New U-M coach Rich Rodriguez told reporters Tuesday he'd like to bring in “a couple” quarterbacks in his first recruiting class at Michigan. Pryor might be the only one talented enough to start.

So if Pryor shuns Michigan, the Wolverines' next starting quarterback will probably not be a freshman.

That leaves Steven Threet in the driver’s seat.

Threet, from Adrian, would be the favorite to start today. The 6-5, 228-pound quarterback transferred to Michigan from Georgia Tech just a semester after leaving home.
Threet had to sit out the 2007 season, but he has four full years of eligibility left.

Threet is physically similar to Mallett, who transferred because he felt he didn’t fit Rodrgiuez’s system. Both are big (Mallett, 6-6, 247 pounds and Threet, 6-5, 228) with powerful, accurate arms. Threet threw for 4,824 yards and 49 touchdowns in three seasons at Adrian High School.

In August 2006, Free Press sports writer Chris Silva wrote of Threet: He “has the brains of a Steven Q. Urkel and an arm of a young Peyton Manning. He can audible at the line of scrimmage, like NFL star Peyton Manning, and absorb a playbook faster than Urkel could memorize physics formulas. Threet had Ivy League schools such as Harvard and Princeton clamoring over his smarts and skills.”

With Chad Henne graduating, and Jason Forcier and Mallett transferring in the past year, the door is open for Threet, whom Scout.com rated the No. 12 prospect in the state of Michigan, and a 4-star prospect for 2007. Michigan, which had Mallett coming in, did not offer Threet a scholarship at the time. According to scout.com, Threet received scholarship offers from N.C. State, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Central Michigan, Miami (Ohio), Toledo, and Cincinnati.

Rodriguez has two other quarterbacks in the program: sophomore Nick Sheridan and little-used David Cone. But Threet is the favorite. The only issue is whether he will fit into Rodriguez’s system.

The drop-back passer is far from the prototypical spread-option quarterback Rodriguez loves. But Rodriguez has insisted he's willing to model offenses around his teams' strengths. His track record backs that up.

Rodriguez was offensive coordinator at Tulane and Clemson before he became West Virginia's head coach. At all three schools, his quarterbacks found success, but in different ways. Tulane's Shaun King threw for 3495 yards and 38 touchdowns in 1998.

Clemson's Woody Dantzler became the first quarterback in college football history to rush for over 1,000 yards and pass for 2,000 in the same season in 2001. And West Virginia's Pat White has both passed and rushed for more than 3,500 yards in his three-year career.

Threet graduated from high school early so he could enroll at Georgia Tech in January. But he didn't win the quarterback job in spring practice over junior Taylor Bennett and transferred to Ann Arbor before the season.

Threet explained why he transferred to the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in July.
“The biggest thing is that the two coaches that recruited me took jobs at other schools, and that happened after I got there,” said Threet. “People have been asking if it was homesickness, or classes were too hard, or if it was all the competition at Tech. It was not any of those at all. I had a 3.76 grade-point my first semester, and the competition (at Michigan) is as good or better."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 6/80111002
Mulligan

Next

Return to Sports Forum