Dead athletes

Discuss all sports news here

Dead athletes

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Kevin Duckworth, a two-time NBA All-Star who spent the majority of his 12 NBA seasons as the Portland Trail Blazers' center, has died. He was 44.

Duckworth died Monday in Kernville, Ore., near the coastal town of Lincoln City. His death was confirmed by the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office. Duckworth was in town as part of a Trail Blazers group hosting a free kids' basketball clinic, Fox 12 reported on its Web site.

The cause of his death was not released Tuesday morning.

The 7-foot Duckworth started at center when the Trail Blazers won Western Conference titles in 1990 and '92. He played in the NBA All-Star Game in 1989 and '91.

He spent 1986-93 with Portland and also played for Washington, Milwaukee and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Duckworth's last season in the league, 1996-97, was spent with the Clippers. He played his college basketball at Eastern Illinois. A second-round draft pick of the San Antonio Spurs in 1986, Duckworth was named the NBA's Most Improved Player in his second year in the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3553879
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby D-Day » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:32 am

Wow......

In the Not Quite Dead Yet, But Close Call category.

Tisdale has part of leg amputated to stem bone cancer

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Former NBA player Wayman Tisdale had part of his right leg amputated Monday because of bone cancer.

Tisdale, 44, revealed on his Web site that the surgery was scheduled for Monday. His wife, Regina, told The Associated Press on Tuesday night the surgery had taken place as planned.

"Everything went well," she said.

Tisdale, a 6-foot-9 Tulsa native who played for Oklahoma before spending 12 seasons in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns, first learned he had cancerous cyst below his right knee after he broke his leg in a fall at his home in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, 2007.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3555049
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby chad sexington » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:52 am

Damn!

He was one of my favorite players!

Loved that lefty jumper in those old powder blue Kings jerseys.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Megatron » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:38 pm

Wayman Tisdale has a website?
Megatron
Hot Fudge Former Kool Aid Drinker

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Megatron wrote:Wayman Tisdale has a website?

He's actually a very popular jazz guitarist on the festival circuit. Hope he can still make smooth music with only one leg.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby merchantgander » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:45 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Megatron wrote:Wayman Tisdale has a website?

He's actually a very popular jazz guitarist on the festival circuit. Hope he can still make smooth music with only one leg.

Better Jazz musician than pro basketball player.
"There is a new sheriff in town!"

Detroit starts rising on January 19, 2008.
merchantgander
Hot Fudge Welcoming Committee

Postby davecat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:31 am

Can we add Verlander's arm to this thread?
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:17 pm

EVERETT, Mass. (AP) _ Pro wrestling pioneer Walter "Killer" Kowalski died early Saturday from the effects of a massive heart attack. He was 81.

Kowalski died at Whidden Hospital in Everett, 12 days after his family decided to take him off life support. He had been in critical condition in the hospital since his heart attack on Aug. 8, wife Theresa Kowalski said.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby T-Bone » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Sammy Baugh, who set numerous passing records with the Washington Redskins in an era when NFL teams were running most every down, died Wednesday night, his son said.

Baugh, who was 94 and had numerous health issues, died at Fisher County Hospital in Rotan, David Baugh said.

David Baugh said his father had battled Alzheimer's and dementia for several years. He had been ill recently with kidney problems, low blood pressure and double pneumonia.

"It wasn't the same Sam we all knew," his son told The Associated Press. "He just finally wore out."

Sammy Baugh was the last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class.

After starring at TCU, "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh played with the Redskins from 1937 to 1952.

"Sammy Baugh embodied all we aspire to at the Washington Redskins," Redskins owner Dan Snyder said. "He was a competitor in everything he did and a winner. He was one of the greatest to ever play the game of football, and one of the greatest the Redskins ever had. My thoughts and prayers are with his family tonight."

While he was noted for his passing, Baugh was one of the best all-around players of his day. One season he led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes. He threw six touchdowns in a game -- twice -- and kicked an 85-yard punt.

"There's nobody any better than Sam Baugh was in pro football," Don Maynard, a fellow West Texas Hall of Famer who played for Baugh, said in a 2002 interview. "When I see somebody picking the greatest player around, to me, if they didn't go both ways, they don't really deserve to be nominated. I always ask, 'Well, how'd he do on defense? How was his punting?'"

When Baugh entered the NFL, the forward pass was so rare that it was unveiled mostly in desperate situations. But Baugh passed any time.

As a rookie in 1937, Baugh completed a record 81 passes (about seven a game) and led the league with 1,127 yards. At the time, only six passers averaged three completions a game that year. He went on to lead the league in passing six times.

Baugh still holds Redskins records for career touchdown passes (187) and completion percentage in a season (70.3). His 31 interceptions on defense are third on the team's career list. He still owns the league mark for single-season punting average (51.4).

"He was amazing, just tremendously accurate," Eddie LeBaron, who took over as Washington's quarterback in Baugh's last season, said in a 2002 interview. "He could always find a way to throw it off balance. I've seen him throw the ball overarm, sidearm and underarm and complete them."

Baugh guided the Redskins to five title games and two championships, playing his entire career without a face mask. His No. 33 is the only jersey Washington has retired.

Baugh's reputation blossomed as a star high school football, baseball and basketball player in Sweetwater. It began to grow during his college days at TCU.

It was there that he picked up the nickname "Slingin' Sammy" -- but it wasn't for his passing. It was for the rockets he fired to first base as a shortstop and third baseman.

"Everybody thought I was a better baseball player growing up," he said in 2002. "I thought I was going to be a big league baseball player."

As an All-American football player, he led TCU to a 29-7-3 mark, including Sugar Bowl and Cotton Bowl victories. He masterfully executed an early ancestor of the West Coast offense at TCU, and he credits Horned Frogs coach Dutch Meyer with his NFL success.

"I was a little ahead of a lot of football players in those days because of Dutch," he said.

Baugh was known to make blunt, witty remarks.

After the Redskins' 73-0 loss to the Chicago Bears in the 1940 championship, a writer asked if the outcome would have been different had an end not dropped an early touchdown pass.

"Yeah," drawled Baugh. "It would have been 73-7."

Baugh was known for his reclusiveness.

After his NFL career, Baugh retreated to his 7,600-acre West Texas ranch about 95 miles southeast of Lubbock. The Hall of Fame and the Redskins have tried to lure him east for ceremonies over the years, and he always turned them down.

For years he drove to Snyder three or four times a week for golf, until sore knees, searing heat and the 100-mile round trip made those outings too tough.

But he always enjoyed football season.

"I'll watch it all damn day long," Baugh, who often sprinkled his conversation with mild obscenities, told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. "I like the football they play. They got bigger boys, and they've also got these damn speed merchants that we didn't have in those days. I'd love to be quarterback this day and time."

He bought the Double Mountain Ranch, named for two hills that jut out of the flat earth north of his house, in 1941. He and his wife, Edmonia, who died in 1990, raised five children on the arid expanse covered with mesquite trees, prickly pear cactus and about 500 cows.

He came to the ranch full time in the mid-1960s, after several two years coaching the New York Titans and a year with the Houston Oilers.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /812170466
T-Bone
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby D-Day » Wed May 27, 2009 9:18 am

Former NHL forward Peter Zezel dies at age 44
Toronto -- Peter Zezel, a center who played 15 NHL seasons after breaking into the league as a teenager with the Philadelphia Flyers, has died. He was 44.

Zezel struggled with the rare blood disease hemolytic anemia for the past 10 years and died on Tuesday. Zezel suffered from the ailment off and on, but had rebounded after being in critical condition in 2001.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090527 ... -at-age-44
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Mulligan » Wed May 27, 2009 9:21 am

D-Day wrote:
Toronto -- Peter Zezel, a center who played 15 NHL seasons after breaking into the league as a teenager with the Philadelphia Flyers, has died. He was 44.

Zezel struggled with the rare blood disease hemolytic anemia for the past 10 years and died on Tuesday. Zezel suffered from the ailment off and on, but had rebounded after being in critical condition in 2001.

I always liked Zezel -- a fun name to say. I didn't know he was sick. If I recall correctly, he also played professional indoor soccer.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby pdtpuck » Wed May 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Mulligan wrote:
D-Day wrote:

I always liked Zezel -- a fun name to say. I didn't know he was sick. If I recall correctly, he also played professional indoor soccer.

Didn't he also have a cameo in the horrible hockey movie Youngblood?
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby D-Day » Wed May 27, 2009 6:53 pm

pdtpuck wrote:
Mulligan wrote:
D-Day wrote:

Didn't he also have a cameo in the horrible hockey movie Youngblood?

Yep...I didn't know that but it's further on down in the article
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Andy » Thu May 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Terry Barr, a Grand Rapids native and former Lions and University of Michigan player, died Thursday at the age of 73 following an extended illness.

Barr played for the Lions from 1957-65. He was a third-round draft pick in 1957 and played defensive back on the Lions' NFL championship team that season. He returned an interception for a touchdown in the Lions' 59-14 win over Cleveland in the NFL title game.

He moved to flanker in 1960 and made the Pro Bowl in 1963 and 1964.

At Grand Rapids Central High, Barr was state champion in the 440-yard run in 1952 and 1953. He played running back and defensive back at Michigan.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090528 ... -Barr-dies
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Ghosts of 1957 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Andy wrote:
Terry Barr, a Grand Rapids native and former Lions and University of Michigan player, died Thursday at the age of 73 following an extended illness.

Barr played for the Lions from 1957-65. He was a third-round draft pick in 1957 and played defensive back on the Lions' NFL championship team that season. He returned an interception for a touchdown in the Lions' 59-14 win over Cleveland in the NFL title game.

He moved to flanker in 1960 and made the Pro Bowl in 1963 and 1964.

At Grand Rapids Central High, Barr was state champion in the 440-yard run in 1952 and 1953. He played running back and defensive back at Michigan.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090528 ... -Barr-dies

A moment of silence please.
The Ghosts of 1957
Hot Fudge Regular

Next

Return to Sports Forum