Dead athletes

Discuss all sports news here

Re: Dead athletes

Postby The Beav » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:

Rosey Grier's smiling, crocheting ass is the lone living member of the Fearsome Foursome.

He did needlepoint. His book caught my eye in the public library back in the mid 70s and I started it as a hobby myself.

Met him and thanked him back in '99 (I think) when he was delivering a national award to a teacher in my building who had won recognition from the Milken Foundation.

He was also barely able to walk due to his knees and back he said.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Shark » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:29 pm

Former Tiger pitcher Frank Castillo has died.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Ken Norton is up in heaven sparring with the angels.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Paul Dietzel, who coached LSU to the 1957 national championship, has died. He was 89.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Gates Brown. He was 74.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Beav » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:45 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Gates Brown. He was 74.

I have his autograph on a baseball from Tiger Fest in 78. Got Steve Baker, Wilcox, Parrish and Rozema, too. I was hoping for Billingham, Wockenfuss to show up. This was back when Tiger Fest was held exclusively in Frankenmuth at the Bavarian Inn by invitation. Amazingly enough my mom won the tickets.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am

Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Eastern University Michigan officials confirmed Friday that the homicide victim found in the hallway of an Ypsilanti apartment building is football player Demarius Reed.
Ypsilanti police Detective Sgt. Thomas Eberts said police believe the cause of death to be a gunshot wound.
Reed was discovered dead in a hallway at the University Green apartments in the 700 block of West Clark Road by his roommate around 7:15 a.m. Friday, police said.
Around noon, police said it would be a few more hours before any additional information was released.
Reed, a junior wide receiver from Chicago, had started all six games for Eastern this season and was the team's fourth-leading receiver with 15 catches for 185 yards and a touchdown.
Investigators spent about five hours at the scene. The sole entrance on the west side of the building was blocked off with crime tape that entire time. Officers could be seen through a window in the stairwell of the hallway where police said the body was found.
Several residents of the apartment complex who entered and exited the building's east side entrance Friday morning told The Ann Arbor News they did not hear any gunshots overnight.
Kristy Stanford, an Eastern Michigan University student who lives in the building, said she heard a large group of people having a party Thursday night. She was questioned by police Friday morning.
"I woke up this morning and someone was knocking on our door, but we didn’t answer," she said. "We looked outside and we saw all of the caution tape. The police asked us questions like was it a party last night, did you hear gunshots or was there anyone lingering around."
At about 11 a.m., a van from the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner's Officer came and the body was taken out of the building. A woman who was brought to the scene by Ypsilanti police detectives cried out in the parking lot just before the body was brought out. The woman is believed to be one of Reed's family members. The woman was quickly taken away from the scene in a police vehicle.
A truck arrived shortly afterward and towed a black Chevy Impala with Illinois license plates. Reed is a Chicago native.
Detectives cleared the scene around noon. Officers stayed behind to finished clearing the scene.
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/10/emu_football_player_found_dead.html

He was found dead about 200 yards from where the coed was found murdered less than a year ago.
My EMU experience is solely covering football or basketball games, then driving home. Is Ypsi that bad a place?
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Amadeus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:09 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:He was found dead about 200 yards from where the coed was found murdered less than a year ago.
My EMU experience is solely covering football or basketball games, then driving home. Is Ypsi that bad a place?

There are sections surrounding campus that are shady and drug-riddled, enough that you need to keep your eyes open, but I don't think these are really random. Just like that med student at U-M this year, I think the coed and this guy were killed by someone they knew.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:23 am

RIP

I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Andy wrote:RIP

Bum coached the Saints in the early 80s, right before the team hired Jim Mora.

There was some "where are they now?" bit about him a few years ago. He had a ranch somewhere in Texas with cattle and such, and the writer asked him what he does now that he's retired.
"Not a damned thing," Bum replied. "And I don't start until noon."
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 am

Former Lions first-round pick Reggie Rogers was found dead in Seattle on Thursday, according to several reports.

Rogers was an All-American for the University of Washington and the Detroit Lions selected the defensive tackle with the seventh pick of the 1987 NFL Draft.

Rogers never lived up to the high expectations set for him on the field and ran into a long list of problems off the field.

He was found dead in Seattle on Thursday afternoon.

Rogers played football and basketball in Washington before entering the NFL in 1987.

He spent two seasons with the Lions.

Rogers killed three teens after running a stop sign in Pontiac, Mich. in Oct. 1988.

His blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit.

He was found guilty of negligent homicide and spent a year in jail.

He was back in the NFL in 1991 with the Buffalo Bills and played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1992.

Rogers ran into more trouble and was sentenced to a year in prison in December 2011 after his sixth drunk driving conviction.

Rogers was arrested again earlier this month on a domestic violence charge.

Reggie Rogers was 49 years old.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/form ... index.html
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Conscience » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:45 am

Several local news organizations cited sources who confirmed the man was Rogers. KIRO/7 and KING/5 reported that he may have died of an overdose; The Seattle Times reported that a neighbor overheard medics saying it may have been a heart attack, which can be caused by some drug overdoses.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports ... ound-dead/

Seattle news is saying it was an OD, which wouldn't be surprising given his alcohol monkey.

In 1986, when Rogers was in college at UW, older brother Don Rogers died the day before his wedding of a heart attack caused by a cocaine overdose. Don Rogers was an All-American safety at UCLA and was the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1984 as a member of the Cleveland Browns. He was just 23 at his death

Happened to his brother, too.

But Rogers had an extensive rap sheet, including six drunken driving convictions. One of those was a 1988 crash in Michigan that killed three teenagers, for which Rogers was convicted of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 16 months in prison. Rogers also broke his neck in that fatal crash, contributing to his release by the Lions in 1989.

How could anyone forget the story of a Detroit Lion who was so shitfaced he killed three kids in Pontiac and received a 16 month sentence- less than a year and a half. It was another example of how the rules of society are different for pro athletes.

Despite his off-field troubles, Rogers found his way onto the Buffalo Bills roster in 1991 and became a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1992 before his NFL career ended. Over his four years in the pros, he played in 15 games and tallied two sacks.

And he wasn't even a good pro athlete.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:24 pm

The Conscience wrote:
Several local news organizations cited sources who confirmed the man was Rogers. KIRO/7 and KING/5 reported that he may have died of an overdose; The Seattle Times reported that a neighbor overheard medics saying it may have been a heart attack, which can be caused by some drug overdoses.

Seattle news is saying it was an OD, which wouldn't be surprising given his alcohol monkey.

In 1986, when Rogers was in college at UW, older brother Don Rogers died the day before his wedding of a heart attack caused by a cocaine overdose. Don Rogers was an All-American safety at UCLA and was the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1984 as a member of the Cleveland Browns. He was just 23 at his death

But Rogers had an extensive rap sheet, including six drunken driving convictions. One of those was a 1988 crash in Michigan that killed three teenagers, for which Rogers was convicted of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 16 months in prison. Rogers also broke his neck in that fatal crash, contributing to his release by the Lions in 1989.

How could anyone forget the story of a Detroit Lion who was so shitfaced he killed three kids in Pontiac and received a 16 month sentence- less than a year and a half. It was another example of how the rules of society are different for pro athletes.

Despite his off-field troubles, Rogers found his way onto the Buffalo Bills roster in 1991 and became a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1992 before his NFL career ended. Over his four years in the pros, he played in 15 games and tallied two sacks.

Safe to say Tom Lewand won't be making any statesmanlike statements about this one. And the guy who makes the little back circle helmet decals isn't getting any phone calls.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:09 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
The Conscience wrote:

Safe to say Tom Lewand won't be making any statesmanlike statements about this one. And the guy who makes the little back circle helmet decals isn't getting any phone calls.

I didn't even think of that angle. Funny how that works.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Forum