Dead athletes

Discuss all sports news here

Re: Dead athletes

Postby D-Day » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Ralph Kiner

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3329 ... z2sZntJr6I

Cross post to people I already thought were dead
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby gullycanyon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:12 pm

D-Day wrote:Ralph Kiner

Oh hell, me too. I would have just assumed so. I suppose that's because, if a guy is enough "before one's time," the tendency is to just semi-automatically think of them as being long gone, unless something causes a specific awareness of them. (As when I got an autographed Bob Feller card. In his case, I did happen to already know that he was alive, but you get it.)
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:27 pm

gullycanyon wrote:
D-Day wrote:Ralph Kiner

Oh hell, me too. I would have just assumed so. I suppose that's because, if a guy is enough "before one's time," the tendency is to just semi-automatically think of them as being long gone, unless something causes a specific awareness of them. (As when I got an autographed Bob Feller card. In his case, I did happen to already know that he was alive, but you get it.)

I, too, thought he was dead. If I'm not mistaken, Bobby Doerr remains the oldest living Hall of Famer.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby gullycanyon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:25 am

gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 pm

gullycanyon wrote:Image

I'm a little too young to remember him as a player, but I still can see him during the '93 World Series, cupping a smoke in the dugout with an elephant-sized chaw packed into one cheek.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby gullycanyon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:21 pm

I remember him, but only sketchily.
This was the best photo, of him, that I could find.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Postby D-Day » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Story hasn't been updated yet, but......Ralph Wilson

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buff ... -95-032514

Sorry, Mulligan
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:33 pm

D-Day wrote:Story hasn't been updated yet, but......Ralph Wilson

Sorry, Mulligan

So, what becomes of the Bills now? Is there some big-money white knight lurking in western New York or does the team become the most likely candidate to pack up for LA?
The Suburban Avenger

Postby D-Day » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:

Sorry, Mulligan

So, what becomes of the Bills now? Is there some big-money white knight lurking in western New York or does the team become the most likely candidate to pack up for LA?

I'm sure (hope) there's some kind of succession plan......
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Mulligan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:10 pm

D-Day wrote:

Sorry, Mulligan

I'm sure (hope) there's some kind of succession plan......

There is no succession plan. And there is no white knight. Closest thing was Jim Kelly working to be the face of an investor group. But Jim is now fighting for his life.

Sad days for WNY football.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Whatever happens, looks like they'll be in Orchard Park until at least the end of the decade:
On Wednesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to the media about the future of the Buffalo Bills following the passing of team owner and founder Ralph Wilson. Less than a day had passed since Wilson’s passing, so Goodell made it clear that he is not yet looking ahead to the team’s future ownership and location.
One thing we now know, thanks to a report from the Toronto Sun‘s John Kryk: The Bills cannot relocate before at least 2019, and even doing so then would come with a $400-million buyout.
“I’m very familiar with the Bills’ new lease in Buffalo, and Ralph Wilson gave the people of Buffalo and Western New York an enormous gift,” Marc Ganis, president of Sports Corp, Ltd., told Kryk. “In this new 10-year lease that he signed, for the first seven years there is no opportunity to buy that lease out, or terminate it. None. That team is required to stay in that stadium for at least for the first seven years, and one year already has passed in that lease, so for the next six years.”
The current lease agreement actually runs all the way through the 2022 season, though there is that buyout loophole between the 2019 and ’20 campaigns. Buffalo had been playing one regular-season game per year at Toronto’s Rogers Centre, leading to speculation that the team could move there in the near future.
Now, the topic is more or less off the table for several years.
Goodell said Wednesday that he did not have any new information about the Bills’ ownership situation in light of Wilson’s passing.
“Well, I haven’t focused on that,” Goodell said at the final press conference of the NFL meetings in Orlando, via Pro Football Talk. “Obviously, my thoughts and my heart are with the Wilson family. That’s not something I’ve spent any time on in recent days.
“We all know they have a lease. We know the terms of [that] lease, and we also know we have to find a long-term solution to keep the Bills there [in Buffalo], and that’s what we’ll continue to work to do, but that’s not our priority right now in the next few days.”
The team is expected to be controlled by a trust for the immediate future, according to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News.
While a sale of the team is eventually expected to take place, the trust could remain in control of the team for a few years before any sale comes to fruition.
The lease, as Goodell noted, ensures that the Bills will stay in Buffalo for the foreseeable future.
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/26/buffalo-bills-future-ralph-wilson-roger-goodell/?eref=sihp
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Jack Ramsay, a Hall of Fame coach who led the Portland Trail Blazers to the 1977 NBA championship before he became one of the NBA's most respected broadcasters, has died following a long battle with cancer. He was 89.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10851047/former-nba-coach-dr-jack-ramsay-led-portland-trail-blazers-77-title-dies

He coached the Pacers in the late 1980s and took them to the playoffs with Reggie Miller and Chuck Person before they hired Larry Brown. Always enjoyed listening to him doing color on a game.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 am

Jack Ramsay, a Hall of Fame coach who led the Portland Trail Blazers to the 1977 NBA championship before he became one of the NBA's most respected broadcasters, has died following a long battle with cancer. He was 89.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10851047/former-nba-coach-dr-jack-ramsay-led-portland-trail-blazers-77-title-dies

He coached the Pacers in the late 1980s and took them to the playoffs with Reggie Miller and Chuck Person before they hired Larry Brown. Always enjoyed listening to him doing color on a game.

I remember when he resigned (or was fired? can't remember) when the Pacers went in the tank early in the 1988-89 season. Indiana promptly hired Dick Versace and his hair away from the Pistons.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Shark » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Former Cy Young winner Bob Welch dies at age 57
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby D-Day » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Shark wrote:
Former Cy Young winner Bob Welch dies at age 57

This sucks.......wonder what happened??
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Forum