Millen's Bitches

Discuss all sports news here

Millen's Bitches

Postby Andy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:32 am

It might seem that way, but not everybody is piling on Matt Millen this week.

Such as Da Coach, Mike Ditka, who talked about Millen on Thursday's "JJ & Lynne Morning Show" on WCSX-FM (94.7).

"Whether he did the job or he didn't, he didn't drop one pass, he didn't catch one pass," Ditka said. "He didn't miss one tackle... you know he didn't fumble. And all those things you understand, he didn't play.

"Now he made a lot of decisions about the players that did play, but don't you think being a professional, even the players that did play still have a responsibility to play better than they played?

"Theses guys are No. 1 picks, I mean. I watched them in college, they were pretty good players. You had three different coaches up there. They don't get the blame either?"

OK, blame them all. I have no problem with that. So what do you call firing Millen? A start.

But Ditka continued: "I'm just saying you better be careful what you wish for, because there's no guarantee that it's going to get better until you change the whole mentality of that organization and you go back to what the Lions used to stand for; they were a tough hard-nosed football team.

"You try to trick people, and you trick yourself most of the time."

Hey, come on. Can't you let Lions fans enjoy the moment for a little while? And least for the bye week before reality slaps them in the face again in the person of Da Bears?

On Wednesday, Tony Kornheiser also went to bat for Millen on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption."

"Now, I know him a long time," Kornheiser said. "I think he was qualified for his job. I think that his years of being a player and his years of being on television helped him evaluate personnel. I am stunned at the totality of his failure, because I like the guy a lot.

"I thought he was qualified. It turned out he was terrible at the job."

Cohost Dan Le Batard rightfully snickered at that one, but Kornheiser -- kind of like the William Clay Ford of "PTI" -- stuck by Millen.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 9/SPORTS01
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Shark » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:34 am

But Lewand and new general manager Martin Mayhew insisted it’s not time to invest in the future by playing younger players such as second-year quarterback Drew Stanton over veteran Jon Kitna.

“Sacrificing the season, that’s like you’re speaking a foreign language,” Mayhew said to a reporter.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:47 am

Martin Mayhew doesn't mind if you call him a "Matt Millen guy,'' but he's quick to point out that doesn't mean he's Matt Millen.

Mayhew assumed the responsibilities of general manager of the Detroit Lions on Wednesday after owner William Clay Ford fired Millen, the team president. Mayhew and Tom Lewand, who were both promoted following Millen's dismissal, met with a small group of beat writers on Thursday.

"I'm 100 percent a 'Millen guy,' but that doesn't mean that Matt and I think the same way about everything,'' said Mayhew, who was brought into the organization in 2001 during Millen's first year. "Matt and I disagreed about a lot of things. The one thing Matt appreciated about me is that we could disagree, we could make a decision and it was our decision, and we'd just move forward.

"Matt and I have different viewpoints about a lot of things about football, but I'm a 'Millen guy' because Matt is one of my guys. I've known him for 18 years and we won a Super Bowl together.

"Yesterday was just a different day for me. It was a sad day, it was a good day, it was a bad day, it was everything. I'm going to miss Matt, he's a really good friend.''

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... unity.html
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Once upon a time the Lions ruled. The fans roared with ecstasy. They packed the arena and loved watching a human being tortured to death. They celebrated when the blood flowed. They cheered when his body parts were torn apart, when his eyeballs rolled on the turf.

This was sports. Once.

It was in ancient Rome, but even then the mobs of spectators rooted for the Lions. They rooted for the destruction of a human being as he was fed to the Lions.

This is sports. Still.

This was my thought in the giddy aftermath of the firing of Matt Millen by the pro football version of the Lions the other day.

Every Lions spectator who chanted "Fire Millen" on Sunday afternoons -- every fan who participated in the "Millen Man March" designed to gore Matt Millen to death -- well, he or she, got their much sought pound of flesh.

Every professional journalist who danced in print or on those sports talk radio shows or on the Internet should be proud. Great -- journalists have forfeited their professional neutrality to masquerade as cheerleaders.

Across the country, sports journalists who never met Matt Millen, who never covered a Lions game, turned a sacking into an Internet joke.

Every disc jockey who chimed in managed to evoke giggles in their banal manner. According to reports, Detroit's WKQI-FM turned it all into jolly fun -- a mock funeral for Matt Millen.

And the laughter goes on while the body twitches and the fans -- that's what they call themselves -- roar for a football franchise that remains without direction. With no idea where it is going -- who is to be the next person to be hired and transformed into a victim.

The facts were glaring. The results were lousy during Matt Millen's seasons in Detroit. Millen himself admitted that. The Lions were terrible year after year in the draft, rotten season after season on the field. They went through a parade of head coaches -- more heads rolling.

Coaches were axed. Theories changed, systems were altered. Nothing worked. The coaches were forced to play the players Millen had plucked out of the draft -- Charles Rogers, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams, wasted picks.

All of that is true. The Lions' 31-84 record during Millen's seven-plus seasons is etched in block of cement. True.

But to rip and taunt and mock a man of character is, to me, brutality at is meanest.

For football followers to be driving past the Lions' facilities in Allen Park and honking their horns in celebration! To be waving signs of jubilation! To be comparing the firing of Millen to the eradication of Saddam Hussein! To be hooting! Sorry, it's bloodthirsty. It's sick.

And it's very sick at a time when our nation -- and much of the world -- is in a crisis to gore a decent fellow human being.

It so happens that Matt Millen is a decent human being

Once, before he was thrust into the mess that remains the Detroit Lions, Millen was congenial, humorous, bright. He arrived unqualified for the task -- a linebacker with four Super Bowl championships in his resume as a player and with popularity as a TV analyst.

Bill Ford Jr. coaxed his father into making Millen president of the Lions.

He was exactly what we all had said for years that the Lions needed on top.

"A FOOTBALL MAN!"

Millen was the quintessential football man -- a man who had worn the pads and endured the battles.

As a football man, he lacked the experience to serve as a football administrator.

The facts remain glaring, also, at the top. The Lions have had mostly lousy seasons during the 44-year ownership of William Clay Ford. One playoff victory since the last championship 51 years ago.

Bill Ford admits that, too.

He is the only constant throughout those 44 years.

It was early during his ownership that the Lions were stuck in a similar quagmire. Ford went from coach to coach -- from Joe Schmidt, who resigned; to Don McCafferty, who died; to Rick Forzano and Tommy Hudspeth and Monte Clark, who all ultimately were fired. All good men.

One day, back then, Ford asked me a simple question as I badgered him about a possible coaching change.

"Do you know what it's like to fire somebody?" he said.

Of course, I didn't know what it was like to fire a fellow human being, just as all the "Fire Millen" constituents do not know the pain of giving somebody the guillotine.

I realized immediately that Bill Ford, more than anything, was a man of compassion, a man of decency. He has proven that he is a man of honor and loyalty.

Those are characteristics to be admired. To be admired so much more than giggling at a mock funeral for a man who has been fired. For supposed journalists celebrating during sports talk radio shows. To dish out weak, sick humor.

The rich irony is that William Clay Ford rescued the Lions from similar anarchy when he became outright owner of the franchise 45 years ago. Back then, the Lions were owned by a consortium of litigious, fractious men. They were split into factions about the methods of managing the franchise in a period when the established NFL was challenged for athletes and TV viewers by the new American Football League.

Bill Ford yanked the Lions out of their chaotic situation by purchasing the franchise outright -- for what turned into a magnificent investment of $4.5 million.

If there is one flaw in Bill Ford's character, it is that he is too trusting. He seeks out advice from knowledgeable football people and trusts their opinions. He hired Rick Forzano as coach on the advice of Paul Brown. He sought out Don Shula for counsel and Monte Clark was the recommendation.

Both Forzano and Clark, fine coaches, were trapped because of the personnel the general manager, Russ Thomas, picked for them.

This time, it was Bill Ford Jr. again suggesting during a conversation with reporters that his handpicked football man, Matt Millen, be fired. Bill Ford Jr. again, in essence, coaxed his father to make a change.

The change might have been better made after the season -- this season, or last season.

No matter, the fans have their wish -- to see a good man chewed up, just as victims were in ancient Rome in the Colosseum. And what is the result of that wish?

A team operated by a lame-duck organization that still cannot win football games.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... SPORTS0101

I knew this was coming from Jerry Green.

I'm only surprised he didn't use the word "ziggy," but he's trying to admonish us for not acting the way he'd like us to act so he has to present himself like a grown up in this circumstance.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby chad sexington » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 am

Fuck you Jerry Green.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Mulligan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:13 am

chad sexington wrote:Fuck you Jerry Green.

You know, with comments like that I don't think Jerry would consider you a decent human being.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby The Beav » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 am

Mulligan wrote:
chad sexington wrote:Fuck you Jerry Green.

You know, with comments like that I don't think Jerry would consider you a decent human being.

He's not. Didn't you know that already?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Woodwards Friend » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:54 am

I really like Jerry Green but his William Clay Ford man crush is embarassing. I don't consider loyalty to men like Russ Thomas and Matt Millen admirable. To the contrary it is despicable because it's disrespectful to loyal, decent, and capable people who must do their jobs (as best as possible) in spite of bosses like Thomas and Millen.

Green mentions that Ford sought out the advice of men like Paul Brown and Don Shula before hiring Rick Forzano and Monte Clark. Green calls them good coaches handcuffed by Russ Thomas' mismanagement. Ford obviously felt no sense of loyalty for "good coaches" Forzano and Clark.

Can you imagine the embarassment and disgust of someone like Paul Brown knowing that he recommened a protege to the Lions, probably encouraged Forzano to take the job, only to discover that his guy was set up for failure? Is that an example of William Clay Ford's decency? Is it Jerry?
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Green has every right to love the taste of Ford Sr.'s penis, but to frame his argument to suggest he saved the football fans around here by purchasing the Lions when he did is insane.

And this one:

If there is one flaw in Bill Ford's character, it is that he is too trusting.

Yeah, there's also that drinking problem that kept him out of any important positions within the company he was born into.

You have to be an absolute mess to screw that deal up. Everyone that comes from the Ford family gets a chance no matter what their qualifications. They're already priming a grandson for the next wave.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Ya Mar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:53 pm

It so happens that Matt Millen is a decent human being.

Well, if you look past the fact that he thinks the most insulting way to address somebody is "faggot" then he is decent...

And if you
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:00 am

It was crushing. Vicious. A low blow. Oh, come on.

First, previously on Matt Millen: Channel 4 stood up for its local viewers and ran that simple little crawl during NBC’s Super Bowl coverage whenever his face was on the screen Sunday, asking viewers whether his horrible record with the Lions affected his credibility as an analyst.

Fair enough, not to mention hilarious. I loved it, and viewers in this area loved it.

And the little local story got national legs when Internet sites around the country posted links to the freep.com note on it.

But not everybody — just about 99% — was amused, such as ESPN’s Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon on Tuesday’s “Pardon the Interruption.”

Said Kornheiser: “Wilbon, what do you think of this guerrilla tactic?”

“That’s one of the most vicious attacks that I have ever heard of anywhere,” Wilbon said. “And the notion that this would go on in and around the NFL. I gotta think that the National Football league, somebody made a phone call to the affiliate, WDIV, and said in no uncertain terms, this will not ever run again or else. I believe that.

“But you know what, Tony, in a way I understand the anger in Detroit. I know people in Detroit who’ve talked of the anger, the civic anger, over Matt Millen in taking this job so soon after he failed in Detroit.”

Vicious? Really? One more time: Oh, come on.

All Channel 4 did was point out that “Millen was president of the Lions for the worst eight-year run in the history of the NFL,” which is simply reading his resume.

Anyway, Kornheiser and Wilbon have admitted having a bromance with Millen, both as a great guy and broadcaster.

“This appears to be his karma.” Kornheiser said. “The notion that somebody with the rights to the Super Bowl, one of their local affiliates, would crush a guy like this. I’ve never heard of anything quite like it. …

“I don’t think it’ll stop a network from giving him a job, but maybe it would.”

Added Wilbon: “It’s just amazing what they still feel in Meechigan.”

One more thing about that network job for Millen: It has been rumored on the Web that he might be in line to replace Kornheiser, who has been a nondescript presence in ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” booth.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090204/S ... 087/?imw=Y
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Woodwards Friend » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 am

The WDIV crawl was vicious? Hell, Detroitist suggested that cosa nostra goons should kill Matt Millen by drowning him the Pacific Ocean like former Colts and Rams owner Carroll Rosenbloom. Maybe Wilbon can rail against Detroitist next. In fact, I couldn't imagine anything better.

Hey everybody, email Wilbon this Detroitist link: http://detroitist.blogspot.com/2009/02/ ... -like.html and if Detroitist gets mentioned on PTI or in Wilbon's column, there will be Michael Phelps bonghits for everyone.

PTI Email Address: E-mail: pti@espn.com
Email Wilbon via the Washington Post: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staf ... el+wilbon/
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby A friend of ours » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 am

Woodwards Friend wrote:Hell, Detroitist suggested that cosa nostra goons should kill Matt Millen by drowning him the Pacific Ocean like former Colts and Rams owner Carroll Rosenbloom.

That was never proven.
Concrete, sanitation, trucking. These are legitimate businesses. I'm a legitimate businessman.
A friend of ours
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:19 am

Well alright Terry Foster, way to stick it back in their faces.

Bravo to WDIV

WDIV made national news after running a crawler that correctly pointed out Matt Millen's shortcomings as Lions president and general manager. The station did it while Millen talked during his Super Bowl appearance on Sunday.

People locally loved the support WDIV gave Lion fans and the community. Folks nationally don't understand and have criticized Channel 4 for being classless.

Two of those people are my pals Mike Wilbon on PTI and Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Burwell is a former sports columnist at The Detroit News. Wilbon roasted Channel 4 on PTI and Burwell did the same on his radio show in St. Louis. Both got phone calls from me.

They say WDIV embarrassed Millen. I say Millen embarrassed an entire community. He made football a circus act around here. The Lions' eight-year stretch of 31-97 was the worse in football. No other front office in the history of the league will be allowed to do that.

But here was my main argument with my media brothers: They gladly accept Millen in a prominent role on television. I question if they'd do the same if Millen had ruined franchises they care about. If he'd brought the New York Giants or New England Patriots to their knees and local stations ran his resume on the screen, they would not say boo about it.

In fact, when I brought it to their attention they sort of stumbled over their words before telling me I was wrong.
It is OK to accept Millen and criticize Channel 4 because the Lions don't matter to them and the city of Detroit does not matter to them.

They don't understand our pain. They don't understand what Lion fans have gone through. The damage done by Millen here far outweighs WDIV running a scroll underneath Millen while he talked. Burwell should especially be ashamed of himself because he used to work here.

I am so happy with WDIV right now that I may never turn their station off my television set.

Millen will move on and have a fine television career and get paid a lot of money. We are left with the ashes of what once was a proud franchise and was at least a mediocre franchise before he arrived.

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/ ... logid=1757
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Re: Millen's Bitches

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:55 am

Richard Deitsch, in his column for SI.com on Monday, asked ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson about why former Lions GM Matt Millen frequently called Michigan football games last fall.

As Deitsch asked: Matt Millen was assigned to the Big Ten this season and did a number of Michigan games. As someone who lived in Ann Arbor in 2009 and has contact with a ton of Michigan alums, there are a huge majority of people in the state who do not like hearing him on those games, rightly or wrongly. Social media backs such sentiment up given Millen is obliterated on Twitter during games he calls. Why would you assign a guy to call games in an area when he is so intensely disliked?

Williamson: "You are making the leap that Michigan fans don't want Matt Millen there and maybe it's not much of a leap. I will tell you that Matt Millen with Kirk Herbstreit and Todd Blackledge, with no disrespect to any of our other college football analysts, they are on our top three teams at the moment. I don't know the breakdown of how many Big Ten games Matt did but he and Sean McDonough work that 3:30 p.m. window on ABC. I'm not sitting here saying "Wow, we have a Michigan game so let's stick it to Michigan fans." That's not what we want to do. We want everyone to enjoy their team and to be passionate about it.

"At the same point, we are doing a regional and sometimes national telecast and I have to put the best people on the best games to get the best dissection of analysis and perspective on those games. That's my job. My job is not to aggravate any fan bases. Ultimately, you have to look at the bigger decision. You put the best people in the best opportunity to succeed. I don't really get [the] Michigan football connection with Matt. I get the Lions. But I get that it's clearly an issue among some fans in that area. The extent of the issue is the question."

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/bigt ... logid=2728

Is it possible to work in the sports world and be that clueless?
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Next

Return to Sports Forum