Hot Fudge You're Fired/I Quit

Discuss all sports news here

Hot Fudge You're Fired/I Quit

Postby T-Bone » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:55 pm

The Toronto Raptors have fired coach Sam Mitchell after Wednesday's 39-point loss in Denver.

"This is a difficult but necessary step the franchise must take," Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo. "We appreciate all that Sam has done for the organization, applaud him for his successes and wish him nothing but the best with his future in basketball."

Mitchell will be replaced by Raptors assistant coach Jay Triano on an interim basis. He is in his seventh season as a Raptors assistant. A native of Niagara Falls, Triano coached the Canadian men's national team from 1998-2004, posting a 52-42 record.

Triano's first game as head coach will come Friday when the Raptors visit Utah to play the Jazz.

Expected to challenge the Celtics in the Atlantic Division this season, Toronto is 8-9 and already eight games behind Boston.

Mitchell is in his fifth season with the Raptors, posting a 156-189 record. He was named the coach of the year in 2006-07 after guiding Toronto to a 47-35 record and a playoff berth. The Raptors regressed to 41-41 last season but still made the playoffs, losing in the first round.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3742874

Let's collect all the stories about all the fired coaches, GMs and Athletic Directors.
T-Bone
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby chad sexington » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:47 am

I quit!

Tuberville out after 10 seasons as Auburn coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3742934
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby chad sexington » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:48 am

Kaybai!

Source: Laviolette fired as Hurricanes coach Wednesday, 12.03.2008 / 11:10 AM / News Associated PressRALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -The Carolina Hurricanes fired coach Peter Laviolette on Wednesday, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press.

The team scheduled a news conference Wednesday to announce a coaching change, and the person familiar with the decision told the AP that the announcement was Laviolette's dismissal. The person requested anonymity because the official announcement had not yet been made.

Laviolette in 2005-06 led the team to its only Stanley Cup, and last month he became the winningest American-born coach in NHL history.

But the Hurricanes - the only team in the league's modern history to miss the playoffs two straight years after winning it all - lost four of five during the past 1 1/2 weeks to prompt the move.

General manager Jim Rutherford did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

Laviolette, who coached the New York Islanders for two seasons, was 167-130-30 in his fifth season with Carolina. He had 2 1/2 years left on the five-year contract he signed in June 2006 shortly after winning the Cup.

His 244 career wins are five more than former Tampa Bay coach John Tortorella as the most by an American-born coach in league history.

But his job security came into question late last season when the team wrapped up a second consecutive campaign without making the playoffs, a lull blamed on a slow start. After meeting with owner Peter Karmanos Jr. and Rutherford, Laviolette was retained with a mandate to deliver wins more consistently.

The Hurricanes entered Wednesday 12-11-2 and trailing Southeast Division-leading Washington by three points. They lost nine of 16 games in November, including a dismal mid-month stretch in which they were outscored by a combined 10-3 in consecutive home games against division opponents Atlanta and Washington.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=395853&cmpid=rss
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:43 pm

I think this thread should be dedicated to Rod Marinelli.

I think I'm starting to feel sorry for him, tough little guy is hanging on with all he's got.

I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Chronic » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:25 pm

I know it's a little late, but hell, I liked Flip!!!
Chronic
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Megatron » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Chronic wrote:Image

I know it's a little late, but hell, I liked Flip!!!
\

sounds like a personal problem to me.
Megatron
Hot Fudge Former Kool Aid Drinker

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:32 pm

Kevin McHale is back on the bench for the Minnesota Timberwolves ... and out of the front office.

The Wolves announced the widely anticipated firing of Randy Wittman on Monday morning once McHale agreed to take over as head coach, but still managed to deliver a surprise with the news that the much-maligned McHale is relinquishing his long-held duties as Minnesota's vice president of basketball operations.

An official press release from the club states that McHale has assumed "head coaching responsibilities of the team on a full-time basis from this point forward" so he can "concentrate on his coaching duties."

It was not immediately clear if McHale will have any chance to return to a personnel post in the future or if staying with the organization he joined in 1993 depends on him succeeding on the bench. The Wolves have also yet to announce whether the bulk of McHale's front-office duties will be absorbed by general manager Jim Stack or assistant general manager Fred Hoiberg, with Hoiberg regarded as McHale's eventual successor for some time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3754151
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby davecat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am

NFL laying off about 150
Updated: December 9, 2008, 8:06 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The NFL pays its players billions of dollars a year and fans pack its stadiums every week. But even the deep-pocketed league is shedding jobs.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that the league is cutting more than 10 percent of its staff in response to the downturn in the nation's economy that could put a dent in ticket sales for next season.

Goodell announced the cuts in a memo to league employees. The NFL is eliminating about 150 of its staff of 1,100 in New York, NFL Films in New Jersey, and television and Internet production facilities in Los Angeles.

"These are difficult and painful steps," he wrote in the memo. "But they are necessary in the current economic environment. I would like to be able to report that we are immune to the troubles around us, but we are not. Properly managed, I am confident the NFL will emerge stronger, more efficient and poised to pursue long-term growth opportunities."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3757152
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby D-Day » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

davecat wrote:
NFL laying off about 150
Updated: December 9, 2008, 8:06 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The NFL pays its players billions of dollars a year and fans pack its stadiums every week. But even the deep-pocketed league is shedding jobs.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that the league is cutting more than 10 percent of its staff in response to the downturn in the nation's economy that could put a dent in ticket sales for next season.

Goodell announced the cuts in a memo to league employees. The NFL is eliminating about 150 of its staff of 1,100 in New York, NFL Films in New Jersey, and television and Internet production facilities in Los Angeles.

"These are difficult and painful steps," he wrote in the memo. "But they are necessary in the current economic environment. I would like to be able to report that we are immune to the troubles around us, but we are not. Properly managed, I am confident the NFL will emerge stronger, more efficient and poised to pursue long-term growth opportunities."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3757152

The phrase "These are difficult and painful steps" from a corporate communication is almost like the "God Bless" on all homeless people's cardboard signs......they must get them from the same store
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby T-Bone » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers fired coach Maurice Cheeks on Saturday, sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Assistant general manager Tony DiLeo will be the interim head coach for the remainder of the season, the sources said.

Cheeks' deal with the 76ers, who started the season 9-14, was guaranteed through next season.

After signing Elton Brand to a five-year deal worth nearly $80 million, the Sixers have looked nothing like last season's up-tempo squad that advanced to the playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3766766
T-Bone
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby chad sexington » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:43 pm

The Sacramento Kings have fired coach Reggie Theus, ending his tenure with the team after 24 games this season. Sacramento, mired in the cellar of the Pacific Division and one of the Western Conference's worst teams, let Theus go after a 6-18 start to the season. Also fired was assistant coach Chuck Person.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/12/15/121508kingsfiring/
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby davecat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:52 pm

chad sexington wrote:
The Sacramento Kings have fired coach Reggie Theus, ending his tenure with the team after 24 games this season. Sacramento, mired in the cellar of the Pacific Division and one of the Western Conference's worst teams, let Theus go after a 6-18 start to the season. Also fired was assistant coach Chuck Person.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/12/15/121508kingsfiring/

He should go back to coaching the kids on Hang Time.
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby chad sexington » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Wasn't he once voted one of People's 50 most beautiful people? He could go back to doing that?
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Ya Mar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:18 pm

It is kind of scary that the two of them get fired at the same time.

Look at their careers - very similar:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cheekma01.html

and

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/theusre01.html

Theus a better scorer, and cheeks a slighlty better assist man.

But really - games, and minutes, career span, free throws, etc., all pretty much the same.
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby T-Bone » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Kansas City Chiefs president and general manager Carl Peterson has resigned, effective at the end of the season.

Owner Clark Hunt confirmed the resignation Monday.

Carl Peterson's resignation from a 2-12 Chiefs team comes a day after it blew an 18-point, second-half lead to AFC West rival Chargers.
Peterson took over in 1989. He hired Marty Schottenheimer as coach and they built the Chiefs into an NFL powerhouse over the next 10 years.

However, Kansas City faltered the past decade and seemed to hit a low point with an emotionally draining 22-21 loss Sunday to San Diego, which left the Chiefs 2-12.

"On behalf of my family and the entire Kansas City Chiefs organization, I want to thank Carl for his two decades of service to the Chiefs," Hunt said in a written statement.

"Both Carl and I agreed that immediately initiating the search for the next Chiefs general manager would be the best thing for the future of the organization, and he will be resigning following the 2008 season."

During Peterson's 20 years at the helm, the Chiefs amassed a 176-141-1 record, won the AFC West four times and reached the AFC Championship Game in 1993.

"I am proud of my association with the Kansas City Chiefs and our many accomplishments over the last 20 years," Peterson said in a statement released by the Chiefs. "I thank the Hunt family for the opportunity to lead the Chiefs organization and sincerely appreciate all the coaches, players, administrators and Chiefs employees with whom I've had the pleasure of working in my time here.

"Most importantly, I want to thank Chiefs fans around the country for their passionate support through the years. Chiefs fans are the finest in all of professional football."

Vice president Denny Thum will serve as interim president and general manager.

Hunt said he would speak with reporters later in the day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725
T-Bone
Hot Fudge Regular

Next

Return to Sports Forum