Millen sighting

Discuss all sports news here

Re: Millen sighting

Postby T-Bone » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Former Lions president Matt Millen, now a broadcast analyst with ESPN and the NFL Network, was asked to compare his current and former jobs in a media conference call Thursday. His answer no doubt will illicit groans in Detroit.

"When you're in the big seat, that job never ends, ever," said Millen, oft-criticized for not spending enough time on the job in Allen Park. "There's no off time. There are always problems -- there's always something that has to get taken care of. From the analyst side, when the game's over, the game's over. Certainly all the preparation stuff goes into the front end of it, but when it's over, it's done. You go home and you can sleep. The other one, you don't sleep."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091104 ... ever-ends-
User avatar
T-Bone
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:36 pm
Location: North Detroit

Re: Millen sighting

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:00 pm

From today's deadspin:

Bears at 49ers: It's your Thursday Night game with Matt Millen. GAHHHHH MATT MILLEN NOOOOOOO! I've heard Millen call a couple college games this year. He's been okay, I guess. But still, you sit there listening to him, and the whole time, your brain is saying, "HOLY FUCK. IT'S MATT MILLEN, THE LOSINGEST LOSER IN THE HISTORY OF LOSING. AND THEY'RE PAYING HIM TO TALK! WHAT THE FUCK?" It's weird. It's distracting. It's like he broadcasts the entire game with his dick sticking out of his fly.


http://deadspin.com/5402723/playing-offensive-line-is-horrible--jamboroo-week-10
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
User avatar
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer
 
Posts: 6660
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: About $8.25 in tolls from Chicago.

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:42 am

Hey, he's already Lions fans' favorite punching bag.

Watching Herschel Walker, 47, pummel some palooka in a mixed martial arts bout has another former NFL star thinking that looks pretty cool: Matt Millen.
"I thought about doing it," Millen told fanhouse.com. "I'm 52 years old, but I'd love to try it, just to stay in shape.

"I know just how Herschel feels. Guys who played football, we loved the competition, the physical challenge of going up against another man and seeing who's stronger. There's no way to compete like that again...

"I haven't been in a fight in so long. I could use a good fight."

http://www.freep.com/article/20100205/S ... t-MMA-star?


I say you've got issues when you're in your 50s and you're still looking to physically dominate other people.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Czar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:21 am

Andy wrote:
Hey, he's already Lions fans' favorite punching bag.

Watching Herschel Walker, 47, pummel some palooka in a mixed martial arts bout has another former NFL star thinking that looks pretty cool: Matt Millen.
"I thought about doing it," Millen told fanhouse.com. "I'm 52 years old, but I'd love to try it, just to stay in shape.

"I know just how Herschel feels. Guys who played football, we loved the competition, the physical challenge of going up against another man and seeing who's stronger. There's no way to compete like that again...

"I haven't been in a fight in so long. I could use a good fight."

http://www.freep.com/article/20100205/S ... t-MMA-star?


I say you've got issues when you're in your 50s and you're still looking to physically dominate other people.


I hate the whole ultimate fighting phenomenon, but I'd pay good money to see someone beat the crap out of Matt Millen.
User avatar
Czar
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Horse/Bourbon Country

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Doctor Detroit » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:47 am

WTF does "I'd love to try it" mean? He has money and means, either go do it or don't. Put up or fuck off, Millen.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
User avatar
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President
 
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Re: Millen sighting

Postby D-Day » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Czar wrote:
Andy wrote:
Hey, he's already Lions fans' favorite punching bag.

Watching Herschel Walker, 47, pummel some palooka in a mixed martial arts bout has another former NFL star thinking that looks pretty cool: Matt Millen.
"I thought about doing it," Millen told fanhouse.com. "I'm 52 years old, but I'd love to try it, just to stay in shape.

"I know just how Herschel feels. Guys who played football, we loved the competition, the physical challenge of going up against another man and seeing who's stronger. There's no way to compete like that again...

"I haven't been in a fight in so long. I could use a good fight."

http://www.freep.com/article/20100205/S ... t-MMA-star?


I say you've got issues when you're in your 50s and you're still looking to physically dominate other people.


I hate the whole ultimate fighting phenomenon, but I'd pay good money to see someone beat the crap out of Matt Millen.


I do too. Thank God BWs doesn't schedule me for them anymore........

What would be funny is if his opponent came into the ring wearing a Lions jersey....and then proceeded to kick the shit out him. I'm sure ratings up there would be through the roof. Wonder how much a "Fordvision" at Ford Field would draw? I would certainly pay to see it
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4323
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:18 am

D-Day wrote:
What would be funny is if his opponent came into the ring wearing a Lions jersey....and then proceeded to kick the shit out him. I'm sure ratings up there would be through the roof. Wonder how much a "Fordvision" at Ford Field would draw? I would certainly pay to see it


That would be gold. I'd pay too.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Woodwards Friend » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Andy wrote:
Hey, he's already Lions fans' favorite punching bag.

Watching Herschel Walker, 47, pummel some palooka in a mixed martial arts bout has another former NFL star thinking that looks pretty cool: Matt Millen.
"I thought about doing it," Millen told fanhouse.com. "I'm 52 years old, but I'd love to try it, just to stay in shape.

"I know just how Herschel feels. Guys who played football, we loved the competition, the physical challenge of going up against another man and seeing who's stronger. There's no way to compete like that again...

"I haven't been in a fight in so long. I could use a good fight."

http://www.freep.com/article/20100205/S ... t-MMA-star?


I say you've got issues when you're in your 50s and you're still looking to physically dominate other people.


Either that or you're an S&M professional.

Image
Matt Millen: Mr. Leather 2010!
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
User avatar
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:59 am
Location: Ceasing and desisting

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Andy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 pm

I don't know what he called Ron Jaworski earlier today, but when I flipped on ESPN just now to catch up on the draft I caught a Matt Millen apology to Jaworski and everyone else of Polish decent for some apparent attempt at humor.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Millen sighting

Postby susanarosa » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:58 pm

User avatar
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl
 
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 am
Location: the couch

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:01 am

Ok then.

Former Detroit Lions president Matt Millen added a new wrinkle to the Jeff Ireland-Dez Bryant controversy on Thursday when he said on ESPN's SportsCenter that "there are no questions that are out of bounds" in an NFL rookie interview.

Ireland apologized this week for asking Bryant in a pre-draft interview if his mother was a prostitute. NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith condemned the question, and Dolphins owner Steve Ross said he would investigate. Ross did not rule out the possibility of taking disciplinary action.

Millen, now an ESPN analyst, said such questions are not abnormal during interviews with rookie prospects. "We're making a big deal out of something that's probably not that big a deal," he said.

The former Lions president also acknowledged that he may have asked similar questions when he was interviewing draft prospects.

The NFL said Thursday that Ireland "exercised poor judgment" by asking Bryant such a question. Former Bears and Saints coach Mike Ditka said this week the question was completely out of line.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100430/S ... -interview
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Czar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:26 am

Millen is the douchebag's douchebag.
User avatar
Czar
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Horse/Bourbon Country

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Doctor Detroit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:34 am

The former Lions president also acknowledged that he may have asked similar questions when he was interviewing draft prospects.


He should have tried more questions along the lines of "Can you play football?".
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
User avatar
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President
 
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Woodwards Friend » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Andy wrote:Ok then.

Former Detroit Lions president Matt Millen added a new wrinkle to the Jeff Ireland-Dez Bryant controversy on Thursday when he said on ESPN's SportsCenter that "there are no questions that are out of bounds" in an NFL rookie interview.

Ireland apologized this week for asking Bryant in a pre-draft interview if his mother was a prostitute. NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith condemned the question, and Dolphins owner Steve Ross said he would investigate. Ross did not rule out the possibility of taking disciplinary action.

Millen, now an ESPN analyst, said such questions are not abnormal during interviews with rookie prospects. "We're making a big deal out of something that's probably not that big a deal," he said.

The former Lions president also acknowledged that he may have asked similar questions when he was interviewing draft prospects.

The NFL said Thursday that Ireland "exercised poor judgment" by asking Bryant such a question. Former Bears and Saints coach Mike Ditka said this week the question was completely out of line.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100430/S ... -interview


Someone should ask Matt Millen about his father. I would be particularly interested if the two ever met.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
User avatar
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:59 am
Location: Ceasing and desisting

Re: Millen sighting

Postby Doctor Detroit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:55 am

Daniel Bullocks was let go by the Lions Thursday, putting the final stamp on arguably the worst five-year draft run in NFL history. His release means that exactly zero of the 38 draft picks made by ex-Lions president Matt Millen between 2002 and 2006 remain on the current Detroit roster, a fact pointed out by MLive's Tom Kowalski.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
User avatar
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President
 
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests