MLB news

Discuss all sports news here

MLB news

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:53 am

After more than two decades with the Braves, right-hander John Smoltz is ready to finish his career in a different uniform.

Smoltz reached a preliminary agreement Thursday on a one-year, $5.5 million contract with the Red Sox after failing to work out a deal to return for his 22nd season with the Braves.

The Associated Press said Smoltz, who went to Lansing Waverly and once was Tigers property, can earn an additional $5 million in bonuses, some based on days on the active roster. The deal is a subject to a physical, which is scheduled for Monday.

Smoltz, 41, issued a statement through his agent and said he had little choice except to talk with other teams after hearing what the Braves planned to offer.

"I was going to withhold comment until the announcement of my signing with a new team, but I now feel the need to clear up any misconceptions and inaccuracies about the contract negotiations between myself and the Atlanta Braves," he said. "There were large discrepancies between the offer from the Braves and offers from other teams."

Smoltz, the only pitcher with 200 victories and 150 saves, had pitched for the Braves since 1988.

The Red Sox also agreed to a one-year contract with outfielder Rocco Baldelli, who had been with the Rays.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 004/SPORTS

How weird will that be?
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby chad sexington » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 am

Very weird. It will be interesting to see how his stuff holds up in the much tougher American League. I always wanted to see Maddux pitch in the AL for the same reason.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Mulligan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 am

I assume he is going to be a starter?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby chad sexington » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 am

They aren't sure right now. They also signed Brad Penny...so they really have 7 legit starters. Word is that they are looking to trade Clay Bucholz.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby The Beav » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:39 am

Mulligan wrote:I assume he is going to be a starter?

Comments last night go along with that assumption. Most agree that his arm and his age could not handle a bullpen role
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby chad sexington » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:47 am

Comments last night go along with that assumption. Most agree that his arm and his age could not handle a bullpen role

They also think that they will be able to give time off in the rotation if they are carrying 6-7 starters.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby chad sexington » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Speaking of MLB. Has anyone tuned into the MLB Network yet? I'm hooked.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby davecat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:59 pm

chad sexington wrote:Speaking of MLB. Has anyone tuned into the MLB Network yet? I'm hooked.

They could just show still photos of the Expos 1986 spring training and you'd be hooked.
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby chad sexington » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks?
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby David Hall » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Is it on basic cable?
Basically, I believe you have to do what you love, learning as a loan wolf, before you can join a pack.
David Hall
Hot Fudge Mortgage Expert

Postby chad sexington » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:13 pm

If you have digital cable it comes standard. Channel 279 on Comcast.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:17 pm

That's a nice beard.

I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:56 pm

chad sexington wrote:Speaking of MLB. Has anyone tuned into the MLB Network yet? I'm hooked.

All I've seen so far are replays of the Home Run Derby, etc. Want to try to catch their hot stove program one of these days.

Is it free on Comcast? I have the sports package but I'm not sure if MLB is a free channel like Big Ten or NFL.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby chad sexington » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:23 pm

It is free
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby caseyc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:49 pm

chad sexington wrote:It is free

Jebus H. Kee-Reist, could you guys make a phone call or something and figure this out??? otherwise...well...just make the call.

who's making a run to Tiny's?? Tiffany's? Sunshine Subs??
Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Next

Return to Sports Forum