MLB news

Discuss all sports news here

Re: MLB news

Postby Roquefort Robert » Thu May 02, 2013 12:43 pm

The Beav wrote:And in other news...Tonight Rapure is 4 for 4 already.

I'll never know why the Tigers got rid of that guy. He had a ton of potential.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Amadeus » Thu May 02, 2013 12:58 pm

While we're regretting recent roster moves, let's look in on the Pirates:

Brandon Inge had a go-ahead RBI single to rally Pittsburgh to a 6-4 victory over Milwaukee on Wednesday, snapping the Pirates' nine-game skid to the Brewers.

Jason Grilli [pitched] the ninth for his 11th save in 11 opportunities.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby The Beav » Thu May 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:
The Beav wrote:And in other news...Tonight Rapure is 4 for 4 already.

I'll never know why the Tigers got rid of that guy. He had a ton of potential.

That'll never get old.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Ya Mar » Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Ryan Raburn beats out Tigers quartet for AL player of the week
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby The Beav » Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Ya Mar wrote:Ryan Raburn beats out Tigers quartet for AL player of the week

I was about 45 minutes late in trying to pick him up in PVBL.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Ya Mar » Mon May 06, 2013 8:36 pm

The Beav wrote:

I just found out i had an illegal lineup the past 4 days, and therefore no points for me since thursday.

i made a trade and it took an outfielder out of my starting lineup. So instead of just getting points for everybody else - and playing one player short, i get no points at all for four days. i am about to quit on this season. everybody but harper and verlander are available.
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby The Beav » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Ya Mar wrote:
The Beav wrote:

I just found out i had an illegal lineup the past 4 days, and therefore no points for me since thursday.

i made a trade and it took an outfielder out of my starting lineup. So instead of just getting points for everybody else - and playing one player short, i get no points at all for four days. i am about to quit on this season. everybody but harper and verlander are available.

That explains you sitting at 999 for the past few days.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Mulligan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:17 am

These are the participants in the between-innings race in Miami:

I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby The Beav » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:08 pm

Mulligan wrote:These are the participants in the between-innings race in Miami:

Bacteria shaped like sea animals?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Beav » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:14 pm

http://www.astroscounty.com/

The links about Hurricane Ike and The Randy Johnson Trade are pretty cool.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Pedro Alvarez!

It's a great organization that has made some incredibly shrewd moves in the last several years (they sure as shit aren't missing Pujols), their lineup is full of likable players and I'm told their fans are some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable in baseball, but there's something about the Cardinals I fucking hate.

Fuck them.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:17 pm

So Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas get into the Hall of Fame today and Craig Biggio falls two lousy votes short. Jack Morris's fate is up to the Expansion-era committee in 2016.

There are much more important things to worry about, but here's one thing I'd like to see change about HOF voting: If you vote, your ballot becomes public. I'd love to have one of the handful that didn't have Maddux on their ballots explain why. Same goes for the idiots who waste a vote on not-a-chance-in-hell players like Eric Gagne and Jacque Jones, each of whom got at least one vote today.

As he asked, Todd Jones received no votes.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby gullycanyon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm

I realize that some guys just flatly will not vote for a player in his first year of eligibility.

I tend to think that refusal is mostly silly, because if you think a player belongs there, you should vote for him. But, I gather that the reasoning-- in the minds of some of the writers-- is that they want to hold out that honor for a certain ultra-premium select few.
OK, whatfuckingever, I get it, so Do As Thou Wilt, etc., goddammit, but... wouldn't Greg Maddux be one of those players?

Apparently, most of the voters thought so. I just can't understand why any of them would not think so.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm

gullycanyon wrote:Apparently, most of the voters thought so. I just can't understand why any of them would not think so.

Sixteen voters who returned ballots did not include Maddux.

I understand how sacred the BBWAA holds the Hall of Fame voting (and that's a discussion for another day ... guys like Bill James - who probably should be in the Hall of Fame himself - and most broadcasters do not have HOF votes. I'd say they know as much, maybe more, than the scribes) but it's not like these guys are selecting the next president of Iraq or anything similar that would endanger their lives or livelihoods.

Part of your credibility as a chronicler of the game (and you only get a HOF vote after 10 years of membership) comes from your ability to dissect and understand the game and, as part of that, understand what separates the truly great from the very good. I think every writer's ballot should be public (many already announce their choices before/after submitting their ballots). The guy who didn't vote for one of the best six or seven pitchers of all time should explain himself. That goes for the guy who voted for Jacque Jones.

The same is true for the special committee that keeps leaving Marvin Miller and George Steinbrenner -- unquestionably the two most important non-players in the last 50 years of basebal -- out of the Hall. Those people should explain themselves.

Again, there are much more important things to argue/worry about, but the Hall of Fame isn't just the domain of the BBWAA. It chronicles the history and heritage of the game and should follow and document the game's history accurately. The fans deserve that insight.

One other thing: Why is the number of players a voter can support in a given year limited to 10? Add the names arriving next year (Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, etc.) and you could say there are more than 10 players who deserve to be in the hall.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby gullycanyon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Jeez, SA, that's an outstanding post. Bravo, sir.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Forum