Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Discuss all sports news here

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby gullycanyon » Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 pm

What I'm feeling about Delmon Young:

I think we are in another one of those situations where we sort of know what happened, but we probably don't know what's really going on. Obviously, we know the basic outline:

"Entree" of Drunk Delmon in altercation with panhandler outside of New York hotel.
"Side Dish" of allegations of racial (Jewish) epithets.

We don't know anything else, and the facts unknown to us may weigh more heavily into the over-all disposition of the matter than will the ones known.

How drunk? Blood-alcohol readings tell us little, as we know. Due to various factors, I could be 3X over the legal limit and barely seem to have been drinking, at all.
We don't know if Young was just noticeably drunk & disorderly or totally snockered & completely out of control.

We also don't know the back-story. This could be one of those situations where a pattern of behavior has been developing and has been one of on-going concern to those close to Young.
It would be telling, in that regard, to know Leyland's internal reaction to the initial notification. Maybe he was taken by surprise. That would be a Good Sign. Or, maybe he was not surprised, at all, and reflected thusly: "Well, I've been seeing THIS comin'." That would be a Bad Sign. And one essential to the eventual resolution, on the part of the team, of the issue.
Obviously, guys get drunk all of the time, and often there are embarrassing behaviors involved. In those cases, the "boys will be boys" theme is invoked (in ironic contrast to the "we're all grown adults here" mantra,) and any further arm-flapping is an inappropriate manifestation of our current overly-judgmental social climate.
On the other hand, some guys get drunk, truly drunk, ALL of the time, and the "behaviors" tend to morph from "embarrassing" to "outrageous, dangerous, and altogether totally unacceptable."
In those cases, when a professional sports team is involved, a mere shrug of the shoulders will not suffice, at least not for long, because not only does the team need to consider the direction to which the pattern is leading, the issue of "tacit approval" becomes relevant, and highly so.
The Yankees of the 1930's didn't need to fret over a few sportswriters and bartenders witnessing some drunkenness & ass-grabbing on the part of their charges. Today, if Derek Jeter forgets to provide his latest Trollop of the Day with a Gift-Basket on her way out, and she complains to a limo driver who is pals with some sports-media guys, we may know, via Twitter, of the Jete's Miscarriage of Socio-sexual Justice even before Derek's enchanted vesicles begin to refill with a fresh load of magical, cosmically-anointed semen.
So, even while the concept of "representing the organization" may be unnecessarily burdensome and the concept of "being a role-model" may be as ridiculous as ever, still a team must protect its image (especially today, when the importance of image-- absurd as this truth may be-- has not only matched the importance of reality, but has, in some ways, over-taken it.)
And, of course, the fact is that one guy is not equal to the other guy, and what the Migster can get away with far exceeds what Delmon can get away with. Cabrera could be found to have been bankrolling a meth lab and possibly, after a bit of wrangling and spin-control, retain his job with the Tigers. Delmon Young, if he becomes a problem, will be invited to pack up his 15 HR's, 70 RBI, and .285 BA and get the fuck out of town.

As to the incident, we don't know just how much molestation occurred. "Shut up and get the fuck away from me, you kike asshole" may be unmannerable, but it's much different from a scene wherein some actual physicality and a full minute's worth of anti-Semitic ragings were witnessed.

Still, the entire "hate speech" bit frosts my ass, because it's splitting a hair that shouldn't even be found on one's scalp. A barrage of mean-spirited insults or threats is inherently hateful, and I don't see how a crack about one's racial identity is any more hateful than a crack about one's physical appearance. Is there an Anti-Defamation League for "Gingers?"
Sometimes, we act as though the Jews took so much abuse 80 years ago that they now have some kind of ticket, one which bars any further distress, even so little as a personal insult.
I think our society is guilt-ridden over its failure to act sooner, back then, to prevent the "Holocaust," and the same guilt applies to slavery and racial oppression of blacks, even though it is only fair to point out that the former is over and the latter, arguably, is not.
And really, I think we should be always on-guard against certain types of hatred being acted out. Gays, for instance, are a relatively small group that encounters a relatively high (to put it mildly) level of intolerance & hatred. We just can't allow that to become "OK," but goddam, there's gotta be a reasonable limit to these hair-splitting definitions & guidelines.
I hate loud, ignorant people. If I verbally accost one of them and fire off a volley of insults aimed at their loudness and ignorance, it seems to me that the offense is in my attack, not in my base-line emotional response to them as loud, ignorant people.
It may seem wrong to say that I reserve my right to hate them, but I do, in fact, feel that way, and I insist that my hatred is an entirely separate issue from any assault upon them.

I mean, I get the whole "hate crime" thing; harming someone for no other reason than hate for "their kind" is, truly, an act very different from harming them because you have an ax to grind with them personally. But, the concept of "hate speech" seems like bullshit, to me. We either have Free Speech, or we don't. Either the sensitivities and feelings of Jews & blacks are more important than those of the average American, or they're not.

Hammering again on the same point, when one-- even when "one" is an entire society-- feels guilty about past events and acts out that guilt with over-compensating behavior, one opens a door to a room that somehow seems to become larger by the minute. We parents do that very thing with our kids. Does it truly repair the things over which we feel guilty? No. Does it help them, make them better people? No. Does it make us feel better? Only superficially.
Similarly, is there an end-game to our campaign of compensation toward Jews and blacks? Is there a point at which we will be able to comfortably say, "OK, that's it, now we're even?" No. Not at all, never.

Which brings us back to the young Young.
As far as I'm concerned, if all that happened was that he got drunk and hollered a bunch of shit-- any kind of shit, because I'm not aware of any kind that doesn't stink-- at a panhandler, I really don't much care, beyond my concern that his inebriation could impair his ability to help my goddam baseball team to win the following evening's game.
On the other hand, if he is progressively becoming a Problem Child whose virulent sociopathologies are becoming an unmanageable disturbance to the Detroit Tigers, then fuck him, he's a lazy, plodding Left-Fielder whose bat is good but not great.

As our information-rich society becomes more invasive and judgmental, and that "information" becomes not only more immediate but, simultaneously, the dispensation of it becomes more selective, I am all the more jealously guarding the door to my sports-enjoyment against the intrusion of a whole pile of bullshit that has nothing to do with the games.
Either Delmon Young is helping my beloved Tigers to win, or he's not.
Either this recent incident is proof of an on-going problem that will become harmful to the Tigers, or it's not.
Either he did some actual harm to the yarmulke-wearing panhandler, or he didn't.
Beyond that, as they say, "not a single fuck was given."
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
User avatar
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:16 pm

gullycanyon wrote:What I'm feeling about Delmon Young:

I think we are in another one of those situations where we sort of know what happened, but we probably don't know what's really going on. Obviously, we know the basic outline:

"Entree" of Drunk Delmon in altercation with panhandler outside of New York hotel.
"Side Dish" of allegations of racial (Jewish) epithets.

We don't know anything else, and the facts unknown to us may weigh more heavily into the over-all disposition of the matter than will the ones known.

How drunk? Blood-alcohol readings tell us little, as we know. Due to various factors, I could be 3X over the legal limit and barely seem to have been drinking, at all.
We don't know if Young was just noticeably drunk & disorderly or totally snockered & completely out of control.

We also don't know the back-story. This could be one of those situations where a pattern of behavior has been developing and has been one of on-going concern to those close to Young.
It would be telling, in that regard, to know Leyland's internal reaction to the initial notification. Maybe he was taken by surprise. That would be a Good Sign. Or, maybe he was not surprised, at all, and reflected thusly: "Well, I've been seeing THIS comin'." That would be a Bad Sign. And one essential to the eventual resolution, on the part of the team, of the issue.
Obviously, guys get drunk all of the time, and often there are embarrassing behaviors involved. In those cases, the "boys will be boys" theme is invoked (in ironic contrast to the "we're all grown adults here" mantra,) and any further arm-flapping is an inappropriate manifestation of our current overly-judgmental social climate.
On the other hand, some guys get drunk, truly drunk, ALL of the time, and the "behaviors" tend to morph from "embarrassing" to "outrageous, dangerous, and altogether totally unacceptable."
In those cases, when a professional sports team is involved, a mere shrug of the shoulders will not suffice, at least not for long, because not only does the team need to consider the direction to which the pattern is leading, the issue of "tacit approval" becomes relevant, and highly so.
The Yankees of the 1930's didn't need to fret over a few sportswriters and bartenders witnessing some drunkenness & ass-grabbing on the part of their charges. Today, if Derek Jeter forgets to provide his latest Trollop of the Day with a Gift-Basket on her way out, and she complains to a limo driver who is pals with some sports-media guys, we may know, via Twitter, of the Jete's Miscarriage of Socio-sexual Justice even before Derek's enchanted vesicles begin to refill with a fresh load of magical, cosmically-anointed semen.
So, even while the concept of "representing the organization" may be unnecessarily burdensome and the concept of "being a role-model" may be as ridiculous as ever, still a team must protect its image (especially today, when the importance of image-- absurd as this truth may be-- has not only matched the importance of reality, but has, in some ways, over-taken it.)
And, of course, the fact is that one guy is not equal to the other guy, and what the Migster can get away with far exceeds what Delmon can get away with. Cabrera could be found to have been bankrolling a meth lab and possibly, after a bit of wrangling and spin-control, retain his job with the Tigers. Delmon Young, if he becomes a problem, will be invited to pack up his 15 HR's, 70 RBI, and .285 BA and get the fuck out of town.

As to the incident, we don't know just how much molestation occurred. "Shut up and get the fuck away from me, you kike asshole" may be unmannerable, but it's much different from a scene wherein some actual physicality and a full minute's worth of anti-Semitic ragings were witnessed.

Still, the entire "hate speech" bit frosts my ass, because it's splitting a hair that shouldn't even be found on one's scalp. A barrage of mean-spirited insults or threats is inherently hateful, and I don't see how a crack about one's racial identity is any more hateful than a crack about one's physical appearance. Is there an Anti-Defamation League for "Gingers?"
Sometimes, we act as though the Jews took so much abuse 80 years ago that they now have some kind of ticket, one which bars any further distress, even so little as a personal insult.
I think our society is guilt-ridden over its failure to act sooner, back then, to prevent the "Holocaust," and the same guilt applies to slavery and racial oppression of blacks, even though it is only fair to point out that the former is over and the latter, arguably, is not.
And really, I think we should be always on-guard against certain types of hatred being acted out. Gays, for instance, are a relatively small group that encounters a relatively high (to put it mildly) level of intolerance & hatred. We just can't allow that to become "OK," but goddam, there's gotta be a reasonable limit to these hair-splitting definitions & guidelines.
I hate loud, ignorant people. If I verbally accost one of them and fire off a volley of insults aimed at their loudness and ignorance, it seems to me that the offense is in my attack, not in my base-line emotional response to them as loud, ignorant people.
It may seem wrong to say that I reserve my right to hate them, but I do, in fact, feel that way, and I insist that my hatred is an entirely separate issue from any assault upon them.

I mean, I get the whole "hate crime" thing; harming someone for no other reason than hate for "their kind" is, truly, an act very different from harming them because you have an ax to grind with them personally. But, the concept of "hate speech" seems like bullshit, to me. We either have Free Speech, or we don't. Either the sensitivities and feelings of Jews & blacks are more important than those of the average American, or they're not.

Hammering again on the same point, when one-- even when "one" is an entire society-- feels guilty about past events and acts out that guilt with over-compensating behavior, one opens a door to a room that somehow seems to become larger by the minute. We parents do that very thing with our kids. Does it truly repair the things over which we feel guilty? No. Does it help them, make them better people? No. Does it make us feel better? Only superficially.
Similarly, is there an end-game to our campaign of compensation toward Jews and blacks? Is there a point at which we will be able to comfortably say, "OK, that's it, now we're even?" No. Not at all, never.

Which brings us back to the young Young.
As far as I'm concerned, if all that happened was that he got drunk and hollered a bunch of shit-- any kind of shit, because I'm not aware of any kind that doesn't stink-- at a panhandler, I really don't much care, beyond my concern that his inebriation could impair his ability to help my goddam baseball team to win the following evening's game.
On the other hand, if he is progressively becoming a Problem Child whose virulent sociopathologies are becoming an unmanageable disturbance to the Detroit Tigers, then fuck him, he's a lazy, plodding Left-Fielder whose bat is good but not great.

As our information-rich society becomes more invasive and judgmental, and that "information" becomes not only more immediate but, simultaneously, the dispensation of it becomes more selective, I am all the more jealously guarding the door to my sports-enjoyment against the intrusion of a whole pile of bullshit that has nothing to do with the games.
Either Delmon Young is helping my beloved Tigers to win, or he's not.
Either this recent incident is proof of an on-going problem that will become harmful to the Tigers, or it's not.
Either he did some actual harm to the yarmulke-wearing panhandler, or he didn't.
Beyond that, as they say, "not a single fuck was given."


TL;SMT
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
.
User avatar
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Wistfully recalling those halcyon days.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:17 pm

gullycanyon wrote:What I'm feeling about Delmon Young:

I think we are in another one of those situations where we sort of know what happened, but we probably don't know what's really going on. Obviously, we know the basic outline:

"Entree" of Drunk Delmon in altercation with panhandler outside of New York hotel.
"Side Dish" of allegations of racial (Jewish) epithets.

We don't know anything else, and the facts unknown to us may weigh more heavily into the over-all disposition of the matter than will the ones known.

How drunk? Blood-alcohol readings tell us little, as we know. Due to various factors, I could be 3X over the legal limit and barely seem to have been drinking, at all.
We don't know if Young was just noticeably drunk & disorderly or totally snockered & completely out of control.

We also don't know the back-story. This could be one of those situations where a pattern of behavior has been developing and has been one of on-going concern to those close to Young.
It would be telling, in that regard, to know Leyland's internal reaction to the initial notification. Maybe he was taken by surprise. That would be a Good Sign. Or, maybe he was not surprised, at all, and reflected thusly: "Well, I've been seeing THIS comin'." That would be a Bad Sign. And one essential to the eventual resolution, on the part of the team, of the issue.
Obviously, guys get drunk all of the time, and often there are embarrassing behaviors involved. In those cases, the "boys will be boys" theme is invoked (in ironic contrast to the "we're all grown adults here" mantra,) and any further arm-flapping is an inappropriate manifestation of our current overly-judgmental social climate.
On the other hand, some guys get drunk, truly drunk, ALL of the time, and the "behaviors" tend to morph from "embarrassing" to "outrageous, dangerous, and altogether totally unacceptable."
In those cases, when a professional sports team is involved, a mere shrug of the shoulders will not suffice, at least not for long, because not only does the team need to consider the direction to which the pattern is leading, the issue of "tacit approval" becomes relevant, and highly so.
The Yankees of the 1930's didn't need to fret over a few sportswriters and bartenders witnessing some drunkenness & ass-grabbing on the part of their charges. Today, if Derek Jeter forgets to provide his latest Trollop of the Day with a Gift-Basket on her way out, and she complains to a limo driver who is pals with some sports-media guys, we may know, via Twitter, of the Jete's Miscarriage of Socio-sexual Justice even before Derek's enchanted vesicles begin to refill with a fresh load of magical, cosmically-anointed semen.
So, even while the concept of "representing the organization" may be unnecessarily burdensome and the concept of "being a role-model" may be as ridiculous as ever, still a team must protect its image (especially today, when the importance of image-- absurd as this truth may be-- has not only matched the importance of reality, but has, in some ways, over-taken it.)
And, of course, the fact is that one guy is not equal to the other guy, and what the Migster can get away with far exceeds what Delmon can get away with. Cabrera could be found to have been bankrolling a meth lab and possibly, after a bit of wrangling and spin-control, retain his job with the Tigers. Delmon Young, if he becomes a problem, will be invited to pack up his 15 HR's, 70 RBI, and .285 BA and get the fuck out of town.

As to the incident, we don't know just how much molestation occurred. "Shut up and get the fuck away from me, you kike asshole" may be unmannerable, but it's much different from a scene wherein some actual physicality and a full minute's worth of anti-Semitic ragings were witnessed.

Still, the entire "hate speech" bit frosts my ass, because it's splitting a hair that shouldn't even be found on one's scalp. A barrage of mean-spirited insults or threats is inherently hateful, and I don't see how a crack about one's racial identity is any more hateful than a crack about one's physical appearance. Is there an Anti-Defamation League for "Gingers?"
Sometimes, we act as though the Jews took so much abuse 80 years ago that they now have some kind of ticket, one which bars any further distress, even so little as a personal insult.
I think our society is guilt-ridden over its failure to act sooner, back then, to prevent the "Holocaust," and the same guilt applies to slavery and racial oppression of blacks, even though it is only fair to point out that the former is over and the latter, arguably, is not.
And really, I think we should be always on-guard against certain types of hatred being acted out. Gays, for instance, are a relatively small group that encounters a relatively high (to put it mildly) level of intolerance & hatred. We just can't allow that to become "OK," but goddam, there's gotta be a reasonable limit to these hair-splitting definitions & guidelines.
I hate loud, ignorant people. If I verbally accost one of them and fire off a volley of insults aimed at their loudness and ignorance, it seems to me that the offense is in my attack, not in my base-line emotional response to them as loud, ignorant people.
It may seem wrong to say that I reserve my right to hate them, but I do, in fact, feel that way, and I insist that my hatred is an entirely separate issue from any assault upon them.

I mean, I get the whole "hate crime" thing; harming someone for no other reason than hate for "their kind" is, truly, an act very different from harming them because you have an ax to grind with them personally. But, the concept of "hate speech" seems like bullshit, to me. We either have Free Speech, or we don't. Either the sensitivities and feelings of Jews & blacks are more important than those of the average American, or they're not.

Hammering again on the same point, when one-- even when "one" is an entire society-- feels guilty about past events and acts out that guilt with over-compensating behavior, one opens a door to a room that somehow seems to become larger by the minute. We parents do that very thing with our kids. Does it truly repair the things over which we feel guilty? No. Does it help them, make them better people? No. Does it make us feel better? Only superficially.
Similarly, is there an end-game to our campaign of compensation toward Jews and blacks? Is there a point at which we will be able to comfortably say, "OK, that's it, now we're even?" No. Not at all, never.

Which brings us back to the young Young.
As far as I'm concerned, if all that happened was that he got drunk and hollered a bunch of shit-- any kind of shit, because I'm not aware of any kind that doesn't stink-- at a panhandler, I really don't much care, beyond my concern that his inebriation could impair his ability to help my goddam baseball team to win the following evening's game.
On the other hand, if he is progressively becoming a Problem Child whose virulent sociopathologies are becoming an unmanageable disturbance to the Detroit Tigers, then fuck him, he's a lazy, plodding Left-Fielder whose bat is good but not great.

As our information-rich society becomes more invasive and judgmental, and that "information" becomes not only more immediate but, simultaneously, the dispensation of it becomes more selective, I am all the more jealously guarding the door to my sports-enjoyment against the intrusion of a whole pile of bullshit that has nothing to do with the games.
Either Delmon Young is helping my beloved Tigers to win, or he's not.
Either this recent incident is proof of an on-going problem that will become harmful to the Tigers, or it's not.
Either he did some actual harm to the yarmulke-wearing panhandler, or he didn't.
Beyond that, as they say, "not a single fuck was given."


TL;SMT
I'm figuring it was a typical over zealous Yankees fan who didn't know when to quit. I'd have gone off on the a-hole too.
Much ado over nothing...move along, nothing to see here.
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
.
User avatar
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Wistfully recalling those halcyon days.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby gullycanyon » Tue May 01, 2012 1:55 pm

What's SMT?

But, yeah. Unless there's some runaway train zooming backward, here, and this incident is a manifestation of it, screw it, let's move along.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
User avatar
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby Sterile Whites 48313 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 pm

gullycanyon wrote:What's SMT?

But, yeah. Unless there's some runaway train zooming backward, here, and this incident is a manifestation of it, screw it, let's move along.


Agreed.

SMT=Slit My Throat
Just another run of the mill suburban white devil, with an "Assault" weapon. Molon Labe.
.
User avatar
Sterile Whites 48313
Hot Fudge Vagatarian
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Wistfully recalling those halcyon days.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby gullycanyon » Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 pm

The Gully List, AL:

1. Hamilton TEX 22.5
2. Cabrera DET 17.5
3. Kinsler TEX 17.5
4. Encarnacion TOR 17
5. Longoria TB 17
6. Granderson NY 17
7. Swisher NY 16.5
8. Ortiz BOS 16
9. Ross BOS 15.5
10. Aviles BOS 14.5
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
User avatar
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby gullycanyon » Thu May 17, 2012 8:24 am

Well, it's that time again. Time to start thinking about who should play in the MLB All-Star Game.

I still care nothing about the contest itself. It is an unwelcome interruption of the baseball season just as the season is getting good.

However, I am very "into" voting. It's a great way to salute the guys who have excelled in the first half of the season. Those of us who are actually paying attention should vote, in order to off-set the nitwits who aren't and shouldn't.

So, here's my first set of votes. I vote a lot, via MLB.com, and as the days leading to the event move along, I sometimes will change my picks. In the final couple of weeks of voting, I keep with one set and concentrate on hammering those votes in.
Right now, here's what I've got:

AL

C Matt Wieters BAL
1B Paul Konerko CHI
2B Dustin Pedroia BOS
3B Miguel Cabrera DET
SS Derek Jeter NY
OF Josh Hamilton TEX
OF Adam Jones BAL
OF Austin Jackson DET

NL

C Carlos Ruiz PHI
1B Bryan LaHair CHI
2B Omar Infante MIA
3B David Wright NY
SS Rafael Furcal StL
OF Matt Kemp LA
OF Ryan Braun MIL
OF Carlos Beltran StL
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
User avatar
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby Roquefort Robert » Thu May 17, 2012 3:28 pm

The only thing I care less about than the All-Star game: voting for the All-Star game.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
User avatar
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv
 
Posts: 5220
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Flint

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby D-Day » Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:The only thing I care less about than the All-Star game: voting for the All-Star game.


Do you get to that point by dividing by 2?
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby gullycanyon » Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm dividing a hearty Fuck You by 2 and cheerfully conveying a half of it to each of you.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
User avatar
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby D-Day » Thu May 17, 2012 7:19 pm

gullycanyon wrote:I'm dividing a hearty Fuck You by 2 and cheerfully conveying a half of it to each of you.


[img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/mkiewicz/Facebook-1.jpg[/img

All in good fun :D
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby The Beav » Thu May 17, 2012 7:37 pm

D-Day wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:I'm dividing a hearty Fuck You by 2 and cheerfully conveying a half of it to each of you.


Image

All in good fun :D


Fixed that for ya.
User avatar
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy
 
Posts: 12399
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Reruns.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby D-Day » Thu May 17, 2012 7:51 pm

The Beav wrote:
D-Day wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:I'm dividing a hearty Fuck You by 2 and cheerfully conveying a half of it to each of you.


Image

All in good fun :D


Fixed that for ya.


Image
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby gullycanyon » Thu May 17, 2012 9:03 pm

D-Day wrote:
gullycanyon wrote:I'm dividing a hearty Fuck You by 2 and cheerfully conveying a half of it to each of you.


[img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/mkiewicz/Facebook-1.jpg[/img

All in good fun :D


I know. That's how I took it.

Goddamit
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
User avatar
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Re: Gullycanyon's musings on baseball

Postby gullycanyon » Mon May 28, 2012 3:50 am

‎...A moment, here, to salute Derek Jeter.

As a Detroit Tiger loyalist, I feel a moral imperative to hate the NY Yankees, and Jeter frequently comes off as a smug jackass, but at age 37 he has moved into 14th place on MLB's All-Time Hits list (with a total of 3155,) and that is an accomplishment that required not only health, physical durability, and some natural gifts, but also some hard-nosed perseverance and work.
Also, I cannot avoid figuring that he played on through some injuries & discomforts that would have driven many guys-- myself included-- yelping onto the Disabled List.
The 13 names above his are a pantheon of baseball's gods. Hell, the 13 names BELOW his are a pantheon of baseball's gods.

So, here's to Derek Sanderson Jeter, who has always played as though the number "2" on his back was a reminder to keep trying harder.

(Pictured here with another player for whom I had boundless respect, #8 on that same list; with Jeter needing 164 more Hits in order to catch him, it is reasonable to foresee Jeter winding up as he is positioned here in this photo: above the great Paul Molitor.)

Image
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
User avatar
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit
 
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron