2011 Detroit Tigers

Discuss all sports news here

2011 Detroit Tigers

Postby Ya Mar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:10 pm

All I have to say is get ready for the 10 game home losing streak...

May 23-25 Tampa
May 26-29 Boston
May 30-Jun 1 Minnesota
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Re: 2011 Detroit Tigers

Postby Roquefort Robert » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't know if I can survive another Opening Day on a Friday. 2011 will be the third year in a row.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 am

The Tigers and third baseman Brandon Inge have
agreed to terms on a two-year contract with a
club option for 2013, the club announced this
morning.

In 144 games this year, Inge hit .247 with 13
homers and 70 RBI. He topped American League
third basemen with a .977 fielding percentage.

“The Tigers organization is pleased to announce
the signing of Brandon today,” team president D-
ave Dombrowski said in a news release. “Brandon
is one of the top defensive third basemen in the
game and a quality individual we are proud to
have as a representative of the organization.”
Inge is the longest-tenured current Tigers player
and is fourth in team history with 898 games
played at third base, trailing Aurelio Rodriguez
(1,236 games), Don Wert (1,036) and Tom Brookens (979).

http://www.freep.com/article/20101021/S ... ith-Tigers
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby gullycanyon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:13 am

Heh heh. Read it and weep, Inge-haters.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby Amadeus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 pm

gullycanyon wrote:Heh heh. Read it and weep, Inge-haters.

There'll be lots of people weeping for the next two years when the Notorious INGE manages to pop- or strike-out to end a rally.
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby merchantgander » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 am

Everyone knew this move was coming so there is no shock value. 2 years for 11.5 mil with a club option for a third isn't a bad deal for someone of his talent. None of the Tigers 3rd base prospects (Gadyor, Martinez or Castellno) are close to the majors so I have no issue with the length or amount.

I know the haters don't want to hear it but Inge was in the top 5 at his position in the AL this season.
"There is a new sheriff in town!"

Detroit starts rising on January 19, 2008.
merchantgander
Hot Fudge Welcoming Committee

Postby gullycanyon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:31 am

Merch, I really didn't expect to hear that from you, but I'm glad to hear it, and it's good to know that I am not the only one who believes that, while of course it would be nice to have a guy like David Wright, Evan Longoria, or Ryan Zimmerman, having Inge stick around-- especially since he comes at a fair price-- is not just one big goddam minus.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby Roquefort Robert » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:17 pm

merchantgander wrote:I know the haters don't want to hear it but Inge was in the top 5 at his position in the AL this season.

Yes, he was. In fact he was #1 in the AL with a .977 fielding percentage and probably should win a gold glove and probably should have won a gold glove previously. But he won't because the guy is a shitty, shitty, shitty, shitty hitter. BTW, Polanco led the majors with a .986 FP at 3B. Nobody (except for a few idiots that I've seen on Facebook) says that Inge is a bad fielder. He's one of the best. But as good as a fielder he is, that's how bad he is at hitting.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby merchantgander » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:30 am

gullycanyon wrote:Merch, I really didn't expect to hear that from you, but I'm glad to hear it, and it's good to know that I am not the only one who believes that, while of course it would be nice to have a guy like David Wright, Evan Longoria, or Ryan Zimmerman, having Inge stick around-- especially since he comes at a fair price-- is not just one big goddam minus.

Why? I’m not a fan of his but I’m definitely not a hater. Inge is what he is a major league 3rd baseman. He is not the best or the worst he probably falls somewhere in the middle. The Tigers are not the Yankees and won’t have all stars at every position. They are going to have players like Inge. In fact you can win with starters like Inge on your team. In this day and age of fantasy sports people lose perspective on a player’s true value to the team.
"There is a new sheriff in town!"

Detroit starts rising on January 19, 2008.
merchantgander
Hot Fudge Welcoming Committee

Postby gullycanyon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:35 pm

I totally agree with that last statement, Merch (as well as with the rest of your post, generally.)
Between fantasy rankings, overwrought Bill Jamesian stats, and all of the other ways in which fans outsource their own observations & thought processes, half of the commentary we hear & read is ignorant gibberish.
When Bobby Cox, much earlier in this season, said that he thought Omar Infante might be the MVP of the Braves, the number-jugglers were probably aghast, as though they know better than Cox does.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Postby gullycanyon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:30 am

I just realized that Merchantgander, who I respect despite our occasional snarling matches, provided me with a perfect lead-in to something about which I wanted to laboriously rant.

Y'know, stat-geeks (certainly, I am one) & fantasy baseball enthusiasts (I am not one, although I assist my son with his team) really do, on occasion, need to put down their reams of hard-copy stats & rankings and watch some goddam actual games.
Look at the shameful ending of the Giants-Phillies NLCS.
Ryan Howard, in a rather short time, has established himself as a Run-Producing Mofo of the highest order, and it's not all about Home Runs, either. He usually takes the first month, or so, of the season to warm up, but even with that down-time figured in, he is always a rock-solid lock to mercilessly punish NL pitching and to thusly play a large role in sending swarms of Phillie base-runners across the plate.
If you're a 162-game fan of the Phillies, you gotta love the guy. If you're a fantasy owner who has him at 1st Base, you're gonna have weeks when you curse, under your breath, about him, but over the long haul, you'll be glad that you had him on your squad. If you're a guy who uses stat-analysis as a mode of relaxing diversion, you've got to be consistently impressed.
But what the fuck was that, the other night? That game, and that series, were still wide-open. It was Right There. With runners on 1st & 2nd, a very fervent (and just ridiculously goddam loud, even over the TV broadcast) home crowd bellowing, a 3-2 count (runners going!!,) even though the 2-Out, down-to-your-last-strike situation puts a pile of pressure on Howard, still!! all ya gotta do is protect the plate (fuck around fouling off pitches that you don't like,) and just put the goddam ball in play somewhere, fer chrissakes, you don't have to send one over the wall (although that would be the Preferred Happy Ending,) and maybe it will turn into a game-ending Ground Out, which would suck, but goddam!! At least there's a chance of something happening, maybe only a game-tying single, but Jeebus Krispies Awrighty, how in the fuck can you stand there and watch the entire season breeze past you on the way into Posey's glove?
So, there I sat, the guy whose pains-taking stat-juggling invariably identifies Ryan Howard as a baseball titan, thinking to myself: I can't fucking believe this shit. Ryan Howard, he of the 50-HR seasons, a guy who always rates very high on ol' Gully's "(R+RBI)/2" computations, a guy who collects gobs of money (which we can argue that he deserves, because without him, the Phils are nowhere near as likely to even make it into the playoffs,) and what does he do, in the At-Bat that matters the most?
Absolutely nothing. Stands there. He was still standing there as Posey's mask was flung backward and the Visitors' dug-out emptied.

The words that kept cycling through my head were an expression that my son is fond of using: "Ultimate Fail."

The back of a guy's baseball card will tell you a lot, but events such as that one are not thereon recorded.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Postby Roquefort Robert » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 pm

If the Tigers sign Dan Uggla, I don't think I will be able to stand the strikeouts. Between Uggla, Jackson, and Inge, that's 450 strikeouts/year.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Ya Mar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:If the Tigers sign Dan Uggla, I don't think I will be able to stand the strikeouts. Between Uggla, Jackson, and Inge, that's 450 strikeouts/year.

Didn't seem to be so bad for the 2009 Phillies (Howard, Werth, Ibanez = 455)...
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby Roquefort Robert » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 pm

Ya Mar wrote:
Roquefort Robert wrote:If the Tigers sign Dan Uggla, I don't think I will be able to stand the strikeouts. Between Uggla, Jackson, and Inge, that's 450 strikeouts/year.

True, but I didn't have to watch the Phillies for 162 games. On the other hand, being able to see the Tigers play more than 162 games would be a reasonable trade.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby The Beav » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:

True, but I didn't have to watch the Phillies for 162 games. On the other hand, being able to see the Tigers play more than 162 games would be a reasonable trade.

Moot point.

He went to Atlanta.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Next

Return to Sports Forum