Hot Fudge oh fuck you Sports Edition

Discuss all sports news here

Hot Fudge oh fuck you Sports Edition

Postby The Beav » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 am

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The question to DeMaurice Smith was simple, coming from Cincinnati receiver Chad Ochocinco, asking how serious he viewed the possibility of football not being played in 2011.

Smith did not hesitate.

"On a scale of 1 to 10," Smith said Thursday, "it's a 14."

With that, the executive director of the NFL Players Association painted perhaps the bleakest picture yet regarding prospects of labor strife in the league, which could be looking at a 2010 season with no salary cap and, if the collective bargaining agreement expires as scheduled in March 2011, a lockout that year.

"I keep coming back to an economic model in America that is unparalleled," said Smith, who often repeated phrases for emphasis. "And that makes it incredibly difficult to then come to players and say, on average, each of you needs to take a $340,000 pay cut to save the National Football League. Tough sell. Tough sell."

Smith said the NFL would receive $5 billion from its network television deals even if no games are played in 2011. He regarded that as proof owners are preparing for a lockout.

"Has any one of the prior deals included $5 billion to not play football?" Smith asked, referring to previous contracts that were extended or redone. "The answer's no."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell denied Smith's assertions.

"You don't make money by shutting down your business," Goodell said on Sirius NFL Radio, according to USA Today. "The idea that the owners want to lock out and not play football is absolutely not the case. That's just not good for anybody."

Some of Smith's nearly hour-long question-and-answer session during Super Bowl week was spent reiterating past claims, such as team values increasing "almost 500 percent" over the last 15 years. There was also a call to have all 32 NFL teams open their books to show who was losing money and how much.

Smith also said he wanted teams to contribute what, ultimately, would be millions into what he called "a legacy fund" that would better support retired players.

Most of his focus, however, was on getting a new CBA.

"I really and truly in my heart believe we'll get a deal done," NFLPA president Kevin Mawae said. "But there's going to have to be some give and some take and not just taking from one side all the way."

The league's response, in part, said that teams like the Green Bay Packers -- whose audited financial statements are the only ones the union said it has seen -- have had a 40 percent decline in profits.

"In most businesses, that would be a serious cause for concern," said Jeff Pash, the NFL's executive vice president and chief counsel. "It would indicate a serious issue that has to be dealt with. You look at your single largest expense, which is player costs."

Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning, whom the Colts are planning to soon give a new contract that would make him the league's highest-paid player, acknowledged that he has concerns.

"I think as a player, I feel we have a pretty good thing going right now in the NFL," Manning said Thursday. "It would a shame for something to have to change along those lines. I understand kind of like when a player is holding out or a player contract, there is a business side of this that can be tough. It is not always pretty."

Smith said the latest NFL offer to the players would reduce their share to 41 percent of applied revenues from about 59 percent. He emphasized that the teams take $1 billion off the top of the estimated $8 billion the league generates.

Pash argued that the $1 billion reflects actual costs incurred, money "invested in things like NFL Network, NFL.com, putting games on overseas, all of which is intended to and has in fact had the effect of generating substantial additional revenues, 50 percent of which go to NFL players. And the union knows that's true, because the union has absolute rights to audit those expenses."

Echoing Goodell, Pash said Smith's assertion that players are being asked to accept an 18 percent pay cut -- the $340,000 per-player-average figure -- was among the "misrepresentations of what our proposal is."

"We have never said it would result in players having to take a reduction," Pash said. "The entire point here is to generate a pool of resources to have continued investment and continued growth, which would lead to higher salaries and benefits for players."

For now, some players say they're bracing for issues. Mawae said he even has recommended players save 25 percent of their salary next season "in the event of a lockout," though he noted "we can't make all 1,900 players save their money."

"We've told them, 'Don't go out and buy a new boat. Don't go out and buy a new car. Pay off whatever debts you have,' " said Jeff Saturday of the Indianapolis Colts. "These are things we've been learning from history."

Smith and Mawae said that if next season goes forward with no salary cap, it would be highly unlikely to have a new CBA with a cap reinstated.

"Virtually impossible," Smith said.

"A very difficult task," Mawae said.

Asked about the owners' assertion that the 18 percent pay cut request was false, Mawae said did not hold back:

"That is not true," he said. "That is absolutely true they've asked for 18 percent."

Meantime, the union is increasing dues for now with the idea of returning the money as income to players, if needed, during a lockout.

"Our guys get it," Mawae said. "Our guys understand."

With a median base salary close to 1 million bucks?

Salaries of sports stars and owners in general piss me off.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Re: Hot Fudge oh fuck you Sports Edition

Postby Heywood McCrakin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Plus 1
GO BUCKEYES!

www.the3wows.com
Heywood McCrakin
Hot Fudge Downtown Diva

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 am

I hope they all spend themselves into homeless shelters in one season of no football.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Andy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:28 am

I enjoy watching some sports. I don't enjoy thoughts from self-important sports writers (or athletes) on why these games are so important for life lessons and how we couldn't have coped with 9/11 with out them.

Sometimes the real world is so overwhelming it sneaks into sports. One of those times occurred after 9-11, when the crowd at Yankee Stadium sang "God Bless America" with all their heart. I'm not very religious, but it sounded right to me.

It seemed appropriate that that signature moment, when we needed to be together, occurred in our country's most hallowed arena, the nation's front porch. We are probably the most sports-soaked culture in the world — we're the ones who pay for the Olympics, after all — and I believe our code of conduct when we're competing often represents our values at their best.

People like to say sports teaches us how to be aggressive. But you can learn that through alley fighting. Any jerk with no regard for others can be aggressive. Prisons are filled with them, and 9-11 was conceived by them.

And it's easy to play by the rules, too, if you never defend yourself.

So, I disagree. What sports teaches us is how to be tough without crossing the line. That's the crucial difference. That's why every sport I know not only has official rules, but unwritten ones, too, that anyone who cares about the sport is expected to follow.

If you've ever coached — any sport, any age — you know that is one of the hardest lessons to teach. And, I believe, one of the most important.

When I coached high school hockey, I made it clear: I expected my guys always to play tough, but never to play dirty. When my players complained the other team was playing dirty, I said: Right. That's what makes you better than them. I don't coach those guys. I coach you.

That was one more reason — among many others, of course — that 9-11 troubled me. It boiled down to a few thugs going after 3,000 innocent civilians, led by a coward who had enough money to get others to do his fighting for him. He just took the credit — if that's what you call it.

I admit I was not always heartened by our nation's response to 9-11, either. So much of it seemed sloppy and undisciplined — and counterproductive. John McCain has said one of the most important sources of strength he and his fellow Viet Nam POWs relied on to keep going was the simple belief that they were better than their captors. It sustained them.

It seemed like we were losing that. And that's why I was so heartened by the conduct of the Navy SEALs this week. I know there are still many questions about how this process started. But I don't have too many questions about how it ended, or about the men who flew into Pakistan that night. They found their man not in a cave outside Kabul, sacrificing for his cause — however wrong-headed it might be — but in a suburban mansion.

I admired the SEALs' commitment to going after this paper bully — and the incredible preparation, the courage and the restraint they displayed under the most dangerous conditions.

They were not inspired by blood lust, but simple justice. If the choice was him, or thousands more innocent people — an equation he created, not us — the SEALs' decision is one I can live with.

The SEALs got their man.

It felt cathartic. They reclaimed a measure of our self-respect — and they left it at that, right down to the decision to give him a proper burial at sea, and to keep the photos private.

"We don't need to spike the football," President Obama said. "That's not who we are." And that's exactly what had sustained Senator McCain.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110506/OPI ... z1LZg3ehsM
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby gullycanyon » Fri May 06, 2011 8:42 am

What an asshole. The writer, I mean.

Yeah, that's not who we are. We don't spike the football. We just expect everybody to believe that we played, and won, the game before they showed up.

All due respect to President Obama, though; I like the imagery. I can't pin many decades of outrageous lies, and multiple deceits piled atop each other, on him.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Fri May 06, 2011 12:15 pm

gullycanyon wrote:What an asshole. The writer, I mean.

Yeah, that's not who we are. We don't spike the football. We just expect everybody to believe that we played, and won, the game before they showed up.

All due respect to President Obama, though; I like the imagery. I can't pin many decades of outrageous lies, and multiple deceits piled atop each other, on him.

No, we don't spike the football at all...nope, not us noble Americans...(wait, aren't we the only country that plays football? Thereby making spiking the ball a distinctly American action?)

Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby gullycanyon » Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, yeah, Ansel... It seems that President Obama is erroneously projecting his mode d'etre onto the nation at large.
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby The Beav » Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Shit. We have pictures of Armstrong et al on the moon, and some dumb motherfuckers still don't believe we were there.

Hi, Gannon!
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 am

The Beav wrote:Shit. We have pictures of Armstrong et al on the moon, and some dumb motherfuckers still don't believe we were there.

Hi, Gannon!

Oh I believe we were on the moon, I just don't believe we are as noble about our sports as we like to say we are. Some of us get it (See Obama), some of us don't (See Walmart Wolverines, Yankees fans etc) and personally for me which side of the wobbly line I am on is directly related to how wobbly my walk is.

Case in point:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... ked-042011
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby The Beav » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:56 am

Williams' me-first show distracts from real story -- Scott's win

Asked what intangibles he brings to the job, Williams made it sound like Adam Scott provides the intangibles -- Stevie Williams provides the golf.

"Obviously it's well documented I've won 145 golf tournaments," Williams said. "Every single guy that I've caddied, even guys that I've caddied for just here and there over the years, has won tournaments. There's no one I've caddied for that hasn't won tournaments."

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/15409965/williams-mefirst-show-distracts-from-real-story-scotts-win
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Beav » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:50 am

NFL notes: Braylon Edwards suit
Thursday, September 15, 2011
The Record
Print | E-mail

Edwards suit

San Francisco receiver and former Jet Braylon Edwards has filed a $14 million slander lawsuit, claiming allegations that he was directly involved in a fight at a suburban Detroit restaurant cost him a big guaranteed contract from another NFL team.

Edwards accuses the South restaurant and bar in Birmingham and three of its employees of slander, extortion and malicious prosecution.

Edwards said he had an offer from an NFL team with $15 million guaranteed, the suit says, but he "was forced to take a contract with a different NFL team "for only $1 million" in guaranteed money. Last month, Edwards signed a $3.5 million, one-year contract with the 49ers.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/129863158_NFL_notes__Braylon_Edwards_suit.html
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Ya Mar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm

The Beav wrote:
NFL notes: Braylon Edwards suit
Thursday, September 15, 2011
The Record
Print | E-mail

Edwards suit

San Francisco receiver and former Jet Braylon Edwards has filed a $14 million slander lawsuit, claiming allegations that he was directly involved in a fight at a suburban Detroit restaurant cost him a big guaranteed contract from another NFL team.

Edwards accuses the South restaurant and bar in Birmingham and three of its employees of slander, extortion and malicious prosecution.

Edwards said he had an offer from an NFL team with $15 million guaranteed, the suit says, but he "was forced to take a contract with a different NFL team "for only $1 million" in guaranteed money. Last month, Edwards signed a $3.5 million, one-year contract with the 49ers.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/129863158_NFL_notes__Braylon_Edwards_suit.html

Moderator - don't we have a libel and slander thread?
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Michael Jordan's golf bag:

Somebody might be just a little insecure.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:59 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Michael Jordan's golf bag:

Somebody might be just a little insecure.

But he has plenty of storage in his new condo for that and many more golf bags.

Bought the full top floor of the Trust Building in downtown Charlotte a few months ago

Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby The Beav » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Maybe you'll run into him at the Piggly Wiggly?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Next

Return to Sports Forum