The post-lockout NBA is even worse

Discuss all sports news here

The post-lockout NBA is even worse

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Yahoo Sports has the best take on the kiboshed Chris Paul trade.

The gist:
Officials from New Orleans, Houston and Los Angeles were stunned Thursday night. The killed trade had ripple effects everywhere in free agency and potential trades, pushing the market into paralysis on the eve of training camps opening Friday.

“We were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now they’re saying that (Hornets GM) Dell (Demps) is an idiot, that he can’t do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal.

“How do the Lakers explain this to Odom? How does Houston deal with the guys it just tried to trade? Scola and Martin are going to be pissed at them, and who knows how long that takes to get over? Explain to me how the league kills this Pau Gasol deal, but allows Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol?

“To me, this makes the league feel like it’s rigged, that Stern just does whatever Stern wants to do. He’s messed up the competitive balance of this league a lot worse by killing the deal because you’ve completely destroyed the planning that New Orleans and Houston did and left them in shambles over this. I’ve never been so discouraged about this league, never so down.

“I mean, come on: Chris Paul is leaving New Orleans in 66 games. He’s gone. And what’s Dell Demps, and that franchise, going to have to show for it?”

A few things:
- Did the 'small-market owners' who bitched about the trade think this through? New Orleans gets some quality players from the Rockets and another first-round pick in a draft that should be loaded with players who stayed an extra season. The first 20 picks in the 2012 draft will, by and large, be awfully good players. If anything, the Hornets did what all small-market teams should do: If you come to an impasse with a star, get the best deal you can and move on. The irony is that the team is owned by the league. Chris Paul is going to leave at the end of the current season, and if Stern stands by his guns nixing the trade, the Hornets have almost no leverage in making another deal. Paul leaves at the end of the season and they're fucked (and, in hindsight, they probably should be. New Orleans is a horrible basketball market and they should've left the team in Oklahoma City after the hurricane).

- Dan Gilbert apparently knows very little about running a franchise, save unlocking the arena doors 41 nights a year when he has the league's most marketable player on his team. The Paul trade wasn't a travesty and wasn't going to make the Lakers a super-team (whatever that means). Who the fuck is going to play up front for the Lakers after they move Gasol and Odom?

- David Stern makes Roger Goodell (who came out of the NFL lockout looking like shit) look like the smartest commissioner in sports. I don't think he gets it. The last decade or so convinces me there's a lot more David Sterling in the guy than we want to think: He'll pay guys he wishes weren't so black to enrich himself and the other owners, but he'll be damned if they come away looking smarter than him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArB83r7jXZQuOYNTsOFJOWg5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_chris_paul_lakers_hornets_nba_120811
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Re: The post-lockout NBA is even worse

Postby Doctor Detroit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Sports radio went way downhill, from my perspective, the second the lockout ended. Basketball talk to me may as well be cricket scores on BBC, only less entertaining.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Mulligan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:Sports radio went way downhill, from my perspective, the second the lockout ended. Basketball talk to me may as well be cricket scores on BBC, only less entertaining.

SA's post might as well have been written in Klingon. Sorry for the intrusion here, I only clicked on the thread because I enjoy SA's take on things. I'll leave this thread for the diehards in the future.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:40 am

The 'journalism' dedicated to LeBron James' pending decision pretty much comes down to throwing any and everything out there in hopes that at least one of them is right. It appears his inner circle is beginning to leak that he'll sign with Cleveland, which should set off all kinds of fun around the league.
- If he does, indeed, sign with the Cavs, the East remains a pretty dull place, only this time it's everybody and Cleveland instead of everybody and Miami. In Cleveland, James will play with two very young, very talented guards and there should be enough up front to guarantee at least a trip to the finals.
- Chris Bosh then likely accepts the Rockets' offer to set up a nice big three in Houston, where Dwight Howard will now be able to dish to Harden or Bosh when defenses collapse on him. The Spurs resigned most of last season's supporting cast, so the potential Houston-San Antonio conference finals matchup could be a doozy.
- Carmelo Anthony is kind of fucked. He can accept a max offer from the Knicks knowing he's no closer to a title than he was before or sign with the Lakers, knowing he's no closer to a title than he was before. Let's all take pity on him as he cries his way to the bank.

- If LeBron stays in Miami, Dan Gilbert should be good for something stupid ... probably just not in Comic Sans.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:23 pm

LeBron is headed back to Cleveland, Bosh probably will sign with Houston and Dwyane Wade is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. He walked away from $41.8 million in guaranteed money ... something he'll never get as a free agent or even if he re-signs with the Heat (the most likely option, and I'm sure they'll structure a deal to take some of the sting out of it).
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:44 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:LeBron is headed back to Cleveland, Bosh probably will sign with Houston and Dwyane Wade is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. He walked away from $41.8 million in guaranteed money ... something he'll never get as a free agent or even if he re-signs with the Heat (the most likely option, and I'm sure they'll structure a deal to take some of the sting out of it).

Deadspin's coverage of all the sports writers declaring that LeBron has "grown up" or "matured" was pretty great, especially the part where they say LeBron knew what they wanted to hear so he gave it to them.

Maybe in the past the words surrounding events and transactions like this were just as contrived, but in today's world it looks that much more silly. But of course, we all go along with it.

Heh, Dwayne Wade is pretty fucked. And I can't believe Bosh stayed in Miami instead of bolting for Houston.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:31 pm

Andy wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:LeBron is headed back to Cleveland, Bosh probably will sign with Houston and Dwyane Wade is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. He walked away from $41.8 million in guaranteed money ... something he'll never get as a free agent or even if he re-signs with the Heat (the most likely option, and I'm sure they'll structure a deal to take some of the sting out of it).

Deadspin's coverage of all the sports writers declaring that LeBron has "grown up" or "matured" was pretty great, especially the part where they say LeBron knew what they wanted to hear so he gave it to them.

Maybe in the past the words surrounding events and transactions like this were just as contrived, but in today's world it looks that much more silly. But of course, we all go along with it.

Heh, Dwayne Wade is pretty fucked. And I can't believe Bosh stayed in Miami instead of bolting for Houston.

Bosh got more money from the Heat and there's a chance they might not be horrible this season. Easy choice.

In the end, no one knew anything about anything concerning LeBron's decision, if the stuff that's coming out now is any indication. It sounds like he looked at Miami's reality and Cleveland's potential and opted to go to Cleveland. Smart move for him, especially in an Eastern Conference that still looks awfully easy to win.
Still, I have no idea how much Brian Windhorst got from ESPN to do little more than watch Twitter, but whatever it is, it's too much. Access to people like James is almost impossible without it being stage managed to the nth degree. After games, he talks for a few minutes and that's it; no pregame chats, no arranged one-on-ones. That's all the media gets and the NBA and every company that has ad dollars tied up in LeBron wants it that way. There's less of a chance of a dumb athlete saying something, well, dumb.
The Suburban Avenger

Return to Sports Forum