Wanna Feel Old?

Discuss all sports news here

Wanna Feel Old?

Postby hoog » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Four-Time Pro Bowl QB Drew Bledsoe Retires

April 12, 2007 11:51 a.m. EST

Matthew Smith - All Headline News Sports Reporter
West Palm Beach, FL (AHN) -

Former Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Bledsoe retired Wednesday, putting an end to a 14-year career.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007026410
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen

Postby Andy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:48 pm

Orlando's biggest question heading into the offseason is whether Grant Hill will return. Hill signed a 7-year, $93 million contract in 2000

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270428019
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Dag » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:41 pm

Keith Jackson, Jr. Son of the tight end, not the broadcaster.

http://tinyurl.com/2wmdat
Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers abandoned us what does that tell you about God? - Tyler Durden
Dag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mulligan » Thu May 24, 2007 7:27 pm

There isn't a procrastination thread, so I'll put this here. Brian Leetch finally retires after not playing in 2006-07. Geez, Brian, slow down.

Brian was born the year after me, so it's a bummer that a quasi-peer is calling it quits. There aren't too many pro athletes older than me. I pull for guys like Chris Chelios, Julio Franco and Morten Andersen to stick it out as long as possible. There has got to be a term for the middle age milestone where the last major-sport pro athlete born before you retires. If not, maybe Hot Fudge should coin one.

Leetch will be the first Hockey Hall of Famer born in Corpus Christi, Texas. But I'll always remember him for the official World Cup of Hockey magazine/program from 1996 where his roster head shot immortalized him as Brain rather than Brian. My bad.

Former Rangers star Leetch retires after 18-year NHL career
By MARK JEWELL, Associated Press Writer
May 24, 2007

BOSTON (AP) -- Brian Leetch, one of the NHL's top defensemen who helped the New York Rangers win the Stanley Cup in 1994, retired Thursday after an 18-year career.

Leetch sat out last season as an unrestricted free agent after spending 2005-2006 with the Boston Bruins, when the 10-time NHL All-Star had five goals and 27 assists in 61 games.

"I have been fortunate to be an NHL player since 1988," Leetch said in a statement. "I missed being in the NHL this past season, but believe it was the right time for me to stop playing."

Leetch played one season at Boston College before he was selected by the Rangers with the No. 9 pick in the 1986 NHL draft. He went on to become the defensive cornerstone of the Rangers, who ended a 54-year championship drought by winning the '94 Stanley Cup. Leetch was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the most valuable player in the playoffs that season.

Leetch spent more than 16 seasons with the Rangers before being traded late in the 2003-04 season to the Toronto Maple Leafs. He became an unrestricted free agent before he signed a one-year, $4 million contract with the Bruins in 2005.

In addition to two Norris Trophies as the league's top defenseman, Leetch won the Calder Trophy for top rookie in 1988-89 and played on U.S. Olympic teams in 1988, 1998 and 2002.

In 1,205 NHL games, Leetch scored 247 goals with 781 assists for 1,028 points, making him one of only seven NHL defensemen with at least 1,000 career points.

Leetch ranks first on the Rangers' all-time scoring list for defensemen.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby pdtpuck » Fri May 25, 2007 4:27 am

Leetch was always one of the classiest guys in the NHL.

My wife didn't believe me when I told her Cheli is 45!!!

I had to show her his bio from about six different places before she'd buy it! She said he plays like he's ten-fifteen years younger.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:28 pm

Not sports related, but the title of this thread is right on.

I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Woodwards Friend » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:08 am

Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run at Skydome. He hit his first home run at Skydome.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby David Hall » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:08 am

Andy wrote:Not sports related, but the title of this thread is right on.

Whoa!

Shaun White was the baby on Nevermind? That kid is everywhere.
Basically, I believe you have to do what you love, learning as a loan wolf, before you can join a pack.
David Hall
Hot Fudge Mortgage Expert

Postby T-Bone » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:33 pm

Tampa Bay Buccaneers fullback Mike Alstott is expected to announce his retirement Thursday, multiple Tampa Bay-area media outlets reported.

The team has scheduled a 2 p.m. ET press conference in Tampa, at which the retirement is expected to be announced.

The announcement comes after Alstott missed a third consecutive day of workouts Thursday as the team prepared for its preseason opener Friday against the New England Patriots. His retirement is reportedly not injury-related.

Alstott, who was entering his 12th year with the Bucs, is the team's all-time leader in touchdowns with 71 and rushing touchdowns with 58.

He is second in team history with 5,088 yards rushing and third in scoring with 432 points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... id=2967306
T-Bone
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby hoog » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:38 pm

T-Bone wrote:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers fullback Mike Alstott is expected to announce his retirement Thursday, multiple Tampa Bay-area media outlets reported.

The team has scheduled a 2 p.m. ET press conference in Tampa, at which the retirement is expected to be announced.

The announcement comes after Alstott missed a third consecutive day of workouts Thursday as the team prepared for its preseason opener Friday against the New England Patriots. His retirement is reportedly not injury-related.

Alstott, who was entering his 12th year with the Bucs, is the team's all-time leader in touchdowns with 71 and rushing touchdowns with 58.

He is second in team history with 5,088 yards rushing and third in scoring with 432 points.

The article fails to mention his Madden stats...but I'm here to tell ya...they were gawdy...right, Andy?
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:41 pm

hoog wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

The article fails to mention his Madden stats...but I'm here to tell ya...they were gawdy...right, Andy?

He could catch the ball out of the backfield, that made him pretty tough.

The Pittsburgh Steelers always gave him a run for his money though. They hit him hard.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:48 am

Former NCAA and NBA champion Corliss Williamson will announce his retirement from the NBA during a 1:30 p.m. press conference at the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in Little Rock on Wednesday.

Williamson, 33, played for the Pistons from 2000-2004. In the 2001-02 season, he was named the NBA’s Sixth Man and eventually was a member of the Pistons’ 2003-04 NBA Championship team. His nickname was "Big Nasty."

Williamson is set to become an assistant coach at Arkansas Baptist College, the school’s athletic director said Tuesday.

At Arkansas, WIlliamson was named Most Valuable Player of the 1994 NCAA Final Four, leading Arkansas to the national championship.

He was selected by the Sacramento Kings as a 13th overall pick in the first round of the 1995 NBA Draft. His best career year was in the 1997-98 season when he played 79 games and averaged 17.7 points per game for the Kings.

During his 14-year NBA career, WIlliamson played in 822 games, averaging 22 minutes of action. He averaged 49% shooting from the floor, and 13.6% from beyond the 3-point line.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 048/SPORTS
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Woodwards Friend » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:56 pm

This is a 1999 John Elway jersey. Mitchell and Ness is set release it in their next round of "throwbacks." 1999.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Mulligan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:41 pm

I heard on the radio this morning that Suzanne Somers is 61 today. How is that possible? I got busted looking at some nude photos of her when I was around 12 and she was at the height of her fame. Now she' s in the demographic my grandmother was then. Jeebus does life go by fast.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:49 am

Eric Lindros is expected to announce his retirement from the NHL on Thursday, The Globe and Mail of Toronto reported Tuesday.

The paper said Lindros, 34, will likely make the announcement as part of a news conference with University of Western Ontario sports injury expert Dr. Peter Fowler in his hometown of London, Ontario.

Lindros scored 372 goals and 865 points in 760 games during 14 injury-filled seasons.

Last month, when asked about his playing future, Lindros said he would concentrate on working with the NHLPA, but acknowledged that the injuries that derailed his career had worn him down.

"Right now my focus is the 'PA work," Lindros told The Canadian Press last month. "I'm not really concerned about the rest of it. But the last couple of years have been pretty frustrating in terms of not getting through without being injury-free. ... It's just frustrating."

Lindros, an unrestricted free agent, was limited to 49 games last season with the Dallas Stars and scored a career-low five goals before missing 20 games with a groin injury.

Back for the final three games of the playoffs, Lindros helped the Stars get back in the series with some aggressive play and solid hits but he took only three shots.

He played 33 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2005-06 and 39 games with the New York Rangers in 2003-04.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound center won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player in 1994-95 and the Lester B. Pearson Award as the most outstanding player in the league as voted by the players.

But concussions took their toll on his career. He missed all of the 2000-01 season recovering from head injuries after a check from New Jersey's Scott Stevens in Game 7 of the 2000 Eastern Conference finals gave Lindros his sixth career concussion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3097077
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Next

Return to Sports Forum