2013 Detroit Lions season

Discuss all sports news here

2013 Detroit Lions season

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Super Bowl's over, so on to getting ready for next season. And away we go ...

Allen Park, Mich.—The Detroit Lions announced today that they have released WR Titus Young.
In two seasons with the Lions, Young played in 26 games (17 starts) and registered 81 receptions for 990 yards while recording 10 receiving touchdowns. Young was drafted by the Lions in the second round (44th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft out of Boise State.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Re: 2013 Detroit Lions season

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:30 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Super Bowl's over, so on to getting ready for next season. And away we go ...

Allen Park, Mich.—The Detroit Lions announced today that they have released WR Titus Young.
In two seasons with the Lions, Young played in 26 games (17 starts) and registered 81 receptions for 990 yards while recording 10 receiving touchdowns. Young was drafted by the Lions in the second round (44th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft out of Boise State.

Good riddance.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:09 pm

By PAULA PASCHE
paula.pasche@oakpress.com
Detroit Lions right guard Stephen Peterman, who started every game for the past three seasons, was released Tuesday.
Peterman was due to make $2.65 million this year with year along with $a 500,000 roster bonus and $100,000 reporting bonus. The move will save the Lions about $3.2 million in cap space.
The offensive line has played together for three seasons but obviously that will change now.
Left tackle Jeff Backus and center Dominic Raiola each have a year left on their contracts. Backus is set to make $2.25 million plus $500,000 roster bonus. Raiola’s 2013 contract is for $4.05 million plus a $250,000 roster bonus.
Right tackle Gosder Cherilus, who had a good season, is an unrestricted free agent, while left guard Rob Sims is signed through 2014.
The line will have a new coach since George Yarno was let go. He’s been replaced by Jeremiah Washburn who was the offensive line assistant for four seasons.
It was the second cut in two days for the Lions. On Monday they released wide receiver Titus Young.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Shark » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:47 pm

11-year defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has been informed by Detroit that he will be released.

In 2010, he signed a four-year deal worth $26 million, and heading into 2013, Vanden Bosch was scheduled to make $7 million (though his cap hit would have cost the team $10.7 million).

After recording eight sacks in 2012, Vanden Bosch's totals dropped to 3.5 this season, and considering the Lions still have to figure out what to do with defensive end Cliff Avril, it probably wasn't a difficult decision to release Vanden Bosch.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:06 am

Shark wrote:
11-year defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has been informed by Detroit that he will be released.

In 2010, he signed a four-year deal worth $26 million, and heading into 2013, Vanden Bosch was scheduled to make $7 million (though his cap hit would have cost the team $10.7 million).

After recording eight sacks in 2012, Vanden Bosch's totals dropped to 3.5 this season, and considering the Lions still have to figure out what to do with defensive end Cliff Avril, it probably wasn't a difficult decision to release Vanden Bosch.

Seems like a hard worker but boy was he invisible this last season.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:25 am

Titus Young’s stay with the Rams was brief. The wide receiver has been placed on waivers after only a few days in St. Louis.

Coach Jeff Fisher said today the Rams picked up Young before they had much time to do any background checks. He said Young was “not the best option” for the Rams.

Young was banished three times by the Detroit Lions last year because of his behavior, including once for punching teammate Louis Delmas. He recently lashed out at the team on Twitter.

The Rams could be thin at wide receiver with Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson unrestricted free agents. Fisher said he wasn’t concerned about depth, adding that he would like to re-sign Amendola and running back Steven Jackson.

“We felt Titus is better suited for another organization,” Fisher said, according to Pro Football Talk.

“We felt like by claiming Titus we would have the opportunity to spend a good deal of time with him,” Fisher said. “We spent that time with him, we spent probably four or five days with him, and as an organization, at the end of the interview process, you might call it, we felt it was best to go in another direction.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20130215/S ... text|COL33

Damn.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Tea Bag » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:06 pm

“We felt Titus is better suited for another organization,” Fisher said, according to Pro Football Talk.

Codespeak for "We want nothing whatsover to do with this turd."
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Doctor Detroit » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Tea Bag wrote:

Codespeak for "We want nothing whatsover to do with this turd."

You'd think he'd have been on his best behavior... Or maybe he was but his best behavior is still that of an entitled fuckface.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Tea Bag » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:20 pm

“We felt like by claiming Titus we would have the opportunity to spend a good deal of time with him,” Fisher said. “We spent that time with him, we spent probably four or five days with him, and as an organization, at the end of the interview process, you might call it, we felt it was best to go in another direction.”

Translation: "We didn't know what his problems were in Detroit so we gave him the benefit of the doubt. And he showed his ass."
Tea Bag
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Reggie Bush will be introduced at a 1:45 p.m. press conference, according to several sources.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:05 am

Bye bye Avril, that's too bad.

He was supposed to be one of the most coveted players in free agency, a young pass rusher coming off the two best seasons of his career in a market without an elite defensive end.

It took a day -- a quiet day -- but Cliff Avril finally found a home.

Avril was en route to Seattle on Wednesday night to visit the Seahawks and, according to NFL Network, already has agreed to terms on a deal.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130314/S ... h-Seahawks
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Allen Park, Mich.— Detroit Lions T Jeff Backus, who holds the Lions all-time franchise record with 187 consecutive starts, announced today his retirement from the National Football League after 12 seasons.
Backus has served as the Lions’ starting left tackle since he was drafted in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft out of the University of Michigan. He ranks third all-time in team history with 191 career games.
Backus’ stretch of service for the Lions included a 2011 playoff game at New Orleans as his franchise record of 187 consecutive starts ended last season when he was officially designated inactive on Thanksgiving Day vs. Houston (11/22).
On December 4, 2011, Backus set the team’s all-time franchise record by starting his 172nd consecutive game when the Lions traveled to New Orleans. He broke the previous record of 171 set by Hall of Fame CB Dick LeBeau.
Since the 1970 merger, Backus is also the first offensive lineman to begin his career and start his first 160 career games. At San Francisco (9/16) last season, he set a franchise record for the most games played by an offensive lineman in team history, breaking the previous mark of 177 games by C Kevin Glover.

Nice guy and, unlike many other players, always took questions after bad losses. Hope he has a good time hunting and fishing in Georgia.

And, in happier news, Louis Delmas (aka Bob Sanders ... the Bob Sanders that never could stay healthy) is gone.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42 am

With Backus gone, that's one more Millen player out the door.

I'm just glad he's gone because it (hopefully) continues to signal the beginning of a new era. I hated when they overpaid to keep Backus years ago. Just what you'd expect from a desperate (at the time) franchise.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Ya Mar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Andy wrote:With Backus gone, that's one more Millen player out the door.

I'm just glad he's gone because it (hopefully) continues to signal the beginning of a new era. I hated when they overpaid to keep Backus years ago. Just what you'd expect from a desperate (at the time) franchise.

Didn't they give Backus and Raillo the franchise tags in back to back years? I believe the morning they gave Backus the tag, was the morning that SA missed our fantasy football draft because he slept on a certain purple felted pool table the night before (or more acurately the morning of...).
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 pm

With Jason Hanson still undecided about whether to accept their minimum-salary offer, the Detroit Lions are beginning to entertain options for his replacement.

Next week, the Lions will host kicker David Akers on a free agent visit.

Hanson notified the team earlier this month that he planned on playing a 22nd season, but so far, negotiations have gone nowhere on a new contract. Team president Tom Lewand said at the owners meetings last week there was no guarantee Hanson would return.

“It’s not a system that provides for a lot of allowance for sentimentality,” Lewand said. “We have the utmost respect for Jason and want to have him back, but it’s a situation where everything has to fit. The salary cap is a real restraint for all 32 clubs, and we have to operate within that and within our plans. So we’ve had our discussions with Jason and, like I said, we have the utmost respect for him personally and professionally, which is why we want to have him back.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20130328/S ... or-a-visit

Yikes. This may be it.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Next

Return to Sports Forum