2014 Detroit Tigers

Discuss all sports news here

2014 Detroit Tigers

Postby Roquefort Robert » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:26 am

I guess the biggest questions right now are will they keep Scherzer and how do they address the bullpen. It's a stretch but can they find a sucker to trade Fielder to?
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Re: 2014 Detroit Tigers

Postby Mud Bug » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:15 am

I'm predicting Mr. Illitch will cough up whatever Max wants and he'll be a Tiger for many more years.

The Fielder situation is a real problem. His years of banging 50+ homers are over. Sports writers were critical of that $198,000,000/10 year contract for a reason. This is exactly the reason.

I heard a quip on the radio about getting booed at Comerica and he said something along the lines of 'if the fans don't approve, they can play''. That attitude better go away or 2014 is going to suck for Prince.

I am also predicting the team will announce that Miggy has been suffering a hernia since August, which is why he hasn't hit for two shits the last two months. This information was not released earlier because opposing teams could exploit the news.

2014: Porcello will get traded for a couple of middle relievers. Peralta will go to 3rd. Miggy back to 1st. Fielder will mostly sit the bench and get paid 19mil. Skipper will helm the reins one last year and announce his retirement when the 2014 season ends. In a spirited effort to reward the aging Mr. Illich with a long-coveted World Series banner, the team will win the AL pennant, but will be denied the championship in the final game of the WS. Mr. Illitch will pass away, his dream unfulfilled. His kids will squabble over who owns the team and opt to sell instead of more squabbling. Dan Gilbert will buy the team and Comerica Park is re-named Quicken Park. In 2015, the entire team gets traded off, except for Miggy, Verlander, and Iglesias. The re-building begins and the Tigers finish 4th in the AL Central. Ron Gardenour is hired as the manager for 2016 and the team finishes 3rd in AL Central. The languishing continues for several years and everyone looks back on the 2014 season with fond memories, because it's the last time the team made a pennant run for many years.
Mud Bug
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 am

Tigers presser at 11:30.

Leyland retirement?

Whozzat I hear in the hall, Ozzie Guillen?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:40 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:Tigers presser at 11:30.

Leyland retirement?

Whozzat I hear in the hall, Ozzie Guillen?

I don't think they can buy out Gibson's contract in Arizona, as some have suggested. If I ran the zoo, I'd give Manny Acta a call.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Roquefort Robert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Gene Lamont? Probably not a popular choice but apparently he was qualified enough to get an interview in Boston.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby vlad the impaler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:12 pm

The top five candidates will be from within the organization:

Tom Brookens
Gene Lamont
Lloyd McClendon
Lance Parrish
Larry Herndon

Wild card outsiders:

Don Mattingly
Cal Ripken
Brandon Inge

No chance:

Alan Trammel (not after what happened in '03)
Kirk Gibson (not the right time- maybe in 5-10 years)
Ozzie Guillen
Andy Van Slyke
Dusty Baker
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby Roquefort Robert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:28 pm

vlad the impaler wrote:The top five candidates will be from within the organization:

Tom Brookens
Gene Lamont
Lloyd McClendon
Lance Parrish
Larry Herndon

Wild card outsiders:

Don Mattingly
Cal Ripken
Brandon Inge

No chance:

Ozzie Guillen
Andy Van Slyke
Dusty Baker

Joe Torre, Bobby Cox and LaRussa probably aren't coming out of retirement so I'll take them off the top of my list. I think Lamont has the leg up on the internal candidates but I think Mattingly could be a good fit.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby The Beav » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:
vlad the impaler wrote:The top five candidates will be from within the organization:

Tom Brookens
Gene Lamont
Lloyd McClendon
Lance Parrish
Larry Herndon

Wild card outsiders:

Don Mattingly
Cal Ripken
Brandon Inge

No chance:

Ozzie Guillen
Andy Van Slyke
Dusty Baker

Joe Torre, Bobby Cox and LaRussa probably aren't coming out of retirement so I'll take them off the top of my list. I think Lamont has the leg up on the internal candidates but I think Mattingly could be a good fit.

Why would Mattingly leave El-Ay?

I agree with SA. Manny Acta would be cool. I always liked Van Slyke, but didn't he and upper level management have a falling out, or was that just him and Leyland?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby D-Day » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 pm

The Beav wrote:
Roquefort Robert wrote:

Tom Brookens
Gene Lamont
Lloyd McClendon
Lance Parrish
Larry Herndon

Wild card outsiders:

Don Mattingly
Cal Ripken
Brandon Inge

No chance:

Ozzie Guillen
Andy Van Slyke
Dusty Baker

I agree with SA. Manny Acta would be cool. I always liked Van Slyke, but didn't he and upper level management have a falling out, or was that just him and Leyland?

Friend of mine is saying throw Torey Lovullo, the BoSox bench coach, onto that list.......I would be OK with Manny Acta
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Roquefort Robert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 pm

The Beav wrote:Why would Mattingly leave El-Ay?

Unhappy with the way his contract talks have gone, from what I heard/read.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby The Conscience » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Whoever takes the helm will have big shoes to fill.

Leyland reminds me of the best boss I ever had. Over many years he never, not even once, said good morning or asked how the wife and kids were doing. But he fought in the trenches every day with the troops and the blood and teeth on the floor was ours. His word was golden and you knew looking out for his people was always Priority #1 in his book. He was the last of a dying breed and the mold has since been replaced by sycophants and self-absorbed weasels. I doubt the Tigers will ever see another manager like Leyland, faults and all.
The Conscience
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 pm

The Beav wrote:
Roquefort Robert wrote:

Tom Brookens
Gene Lamont
Lloyd McClendon
Lance Parrish
Larry Herndon

Wild card outsiders:

Don Mattingly
Cal Ripken
Brandon Inge

No chance:

Ozzie Guillen
Andy Van Slyke
Dusty Baker

Don Mattingly says Dodgers' contract 'doesn't mean I'll be back'

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersno ... 0028.story

And then for comedic relief, there's this clown:

Jose Canseco would like to be Tigers manager

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/10/21/ ... rs-manager
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby vlad the impaler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Jose Canseco would like to be Tigers manager

Ha. This brings back memories of a cold spring game in 1992 at Tiger Stadium with a bunch of beer-fueled high school buddies who've mostly faded from my radar screen since. We were the only people in the right field stands, sitting above where Canseco was fielding. For nine innings we hurled insults and stupid questions ("Jose, which strip bar are you headed to after the game!?" Answer: "The one your sister works at!"). He got an earful of Madonna comments too and every time he adjusted his ballcap, he subtly gave us the middle finger. Good times.
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 am

Reason No. 5,771 why working in sports talk radio will devour your soul and leave you empty and useless: Whomever is taking calls has to rationally explain to some jabroni why Al Kaline _ seventy-fucking-nine-year-old Al Kaline _ probably won't be on the short list of candidates for the job.

Nobody but Dombrowkski and a few others in the front office have any idea whom they're going to interview (I'd imagine they wait until after the series to get Lovullo in for a chat). That front office doesn't leak unless the news is as obvious as the sun coming up.

One quality I'm sure they'll be looking for, like the Conscience said, is a guy who's going to manage the clubhouse by almost never walking in it. Leyland always had a few veteran players in the clubhouse and he let them police it. If something was going to change, he always made sure the players heard it from him or the staff before they read it in the paper or heard it from a member of the media. I'd imagine that will be a very critical requirement of the next manager, who's going to inherit a team that, with a handful of tweaks, should start 2014 as a pennant contender.

Charlie Manuel as a two-year fill-in isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, but I'll bet it's a long shot.

I'd guess the serious interviews go to McClendon, Lamont, Lovullo and Acta (and let us all ponder what madness would envelop this town had Francona decided not to manage last season). Mattingly could be a wild card but I think his agent will slap some sense into him and urge him to exercise his option with the Dodgers. Not that he's eating Alpo out of a can, but best to take guaranteed money when it's already on the table.

Oh, and fuck the Red Sox. Fuck them in their fucking asses with Joe Louis' fist. No fan of the Cardinals, but here's hoping for a sweep.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby D-Day » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:40 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Reason No. 5,771 why working in sports talk radio will devour your soul and leave you empty and useless: Whomever is taking calls has to rationally explain to some jabroni why Al Kaline _ seventy-fucking-nine-year-old Al Kaline _ probably won't be on the short list of candidates for the job.

Nobody but Dombrowkski and a few others in the front office have any idea whom they're going to interview (I'd imagine they wait until after the series to get Lovullo in for a chat). That front office doesn't leak unless the news is as obvious as the sun coming up.

One quality I'm sure they'll be looking for, like the Conscience said, is a guy who's going to manage the clubhouse by almost never walking in it. Leyland always had a few veteran players in the clubhouse and he let them police it. If something was going to change, he always made sure the players heard it from him or the staff before they read it in the paper or heard it from a member of the media. I'd imagine that will be a very critical requirement of the next manager, who's going to inherit a team that, with a handful of tweaks, should start 2014 as a pennant contender.

Charlie Manuel as a two-year fill-in isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, but I'll bet it's a long shot.

I'd guess the serious interviews go to McClendon, Lamont, Lovullo and Acta (and let us all ponder what madness would envelop this town had Francona decided not to manage last season). Mattingly could be a wild card but I think his agent will slap some sense into him and urge him to exercise his option with the Dodgers. Not that he's eating Alpo out of a can, but best to take guaranteed money when it's already on the table.

Oh, and fuck the Red Sox. Fuck them in their fucking asses with Joe Louis' fist. No fan of the Cardinals, but here's hoping for a sweep.

As I posted on WF's FB wall, as long as Bud Selig is still commissioner I can still hope for seven straight ties and nobody wins
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Next

Return to Sports Forum