2014 Detroit Lions Season

Discuss all sports news here

2014 Detroit Lions Season

Postby Andy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:13 pm

So there you go.

The Lions’ coaching job is “Ken Whisenhunt's to lose,” Adam Schefter of ESPN reported Sunday, attributing his information to sources close to the situation.

Whisenhunt is the Chargers’ offensive coordinator. They were set to play the Bengals in an AFC divisional game on Sunday afternoon in Cincinnati.

Whisenhunt, 51, was 45-51 as head coach of the Cardinals from 2007-12. In 2008 he led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl, where they lost to the Steelers.

He has been credited with the continued development of Chargers QB Philip Rivers, who completed 378-of-544 passes this season for an NFL career-best 69.5 percent. Rivers also had 32 touchdowns and 11 interceptions while throwing for 4,478 yards.

In the same report, Schefter said the Lions also are interested in Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z2pY6Rp0at
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Re: 2014 Detroit Lions Season

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Well that took a turn.

The Detroit Lions have hired Jim Caldwell as head coach, ending a two-week search during which they interviewed only four candidates.

The 58-year-old Caldwell fit a lot of the criteria Detroit had during its search. The Lions wanted someone with head-coaching experience and experience on offense, apparently preferably with quarterbacks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10292 ... head-coach
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:16 pm

They could've done a lot worse.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Yeah, I'm ok with this. He's not a flashy hire but he has the credentials. And personally I like stoic coaches more than the rah-rah guys. If I got annoyed with Roy Williams for first down poses back in the day I should stay consistent and be annoyed with Schwartz for his fist-pumping, leg-kicking victory dances.

I agree with Drew Sharp, Caldwell has two years to figure this team out and get it done.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby gullycanyon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Yeah, a few years of watching Schwartz suggested that he is one of those guys who, in high school, would be the one who would talk just enough shit to cause other guys to want to punch him in the face, but would stop just short of actually getting that punch in the face.

I, too, am all for the stoicism, especially in the NFL, where hot-dogging, shit-talking, and all sorts of other ridiculous, demonstrative behavior have become SOP. It's bad enough, as it is, without the goddamn head coach doing it, too.

So, let's be optimistic. Hell, we can afford to be so; we have pretty much nothing to lose, eh?
"Do What Thou Wilt" shall be the Whole of the Solid Block of Text.
As a ravine dweller I can confirm this.
gullycanyon
Hot Fudge Goddamit

Location: Walking Around Angry and Pissed Off at Everything... I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Postby The Beav » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:36 am

Rumors about Tressel getting a coaching job are flying around.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Mestagoit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Superbowl guaranteed.
Mestagoit
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Megatron » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:43 pm

The Beav wrote:Rumors about Tressel getting a coaching job are flying around.

ESPN seems to agree with you

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/3397/tressels-ties-to-jim-caldwell-are-strong
Megatron
Hot Fudge Former Kool Aid Drinker

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Bastards.

The Detroit Lions announced Monday a new variable ticket pricing model, which includes a 70% decrease for preseason tickets and an 8.2% increase for season ticket packages.

"Data from the secondary market has equipped us to make more educated and fair pricing decisions based on anticipated demand," said Vice President of Ticketing and Suite Sales Todd Lambert. "We’re now using that information to offer a better ticket experience for season ticket members who previously paid the same price regardless of the matchup or viability as a regular or preseason game."

Pricing for games in both the top and mid-level pricing categories will increase modestly over 2013, while the lowest level pricing category (preseason games) will decrease significantly. On average, 2014 Detroit Lions Season Ticket Members will see an overall increase of 8.2-percent to their season ticket package price.

Detroit Lions Season Ticket Members will save an average of 20-percent – ranging from 12% - 27% (depending on seat location) – off 2014 single-game prices.

"The decision to incorporate an increase in overall ticket pricing was made after careful consideration," said Team President Tom Lewand. "To remain competitive in the NFL and offer an extraordinary fan experience, we need to be able to invest right back into our product and that’s exactly what we’ll continue to do."

The Lions average ticket price for 2014 ($83.36) remains under $85. In 2013; the average season ticket price was above $85 for 22 teams, about two-thirds of the NFL.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/fo ... index.html
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:48 pm

Andy wrote:
"The decision to incorporate an increase in overall ticket pricing was made after careful consideration," said Team President Tom Lewand. "To remain competitive in the NFL and offer an extraordinary fan experience, we need to be able to invest right back into our product and that’s exactly what we’ll continue to do."

If that makes sense to anyone on this board, I will pay you $5 to explain it to me.

In a related note, a handful of MLB clubs offer so-called "dynamic" pricing for single-game tickets. If the Royals are coming to town on a Wednesday night, for instance, it's going to be cheaper than usual. The Red Sox on a Saturday night? Much more expensive. If you're a so-so club (Cleveland and the Mets use the pricing system), it's a great way to ensure people still pass through the turnstiles and buy $8 beers.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby D-Day » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:13 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Andy wrote:

If that makes sense to anyone on this board, I will pay you $5 to explain it to me.

In a related note, a handful of MLB clubs offer so-called "dynamic" pricing for single-game tickets. If the Royals are coming to town on a Wednesday night, for instance, it's going to be cheaper than usual. The Red Sox on a Saturday night? Much more expensive. If you're a so-so club (Cleveland and the Mets use the pricing system), it's a great way to ensure people still pass through the turnstiles and buy $8 beers.

The Reds do, too
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Roquefort Robert » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

D-Day wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Andy wrote:

The Reds do, too

And the Tigers.
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv

Postby Shark » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Report: Detroit Lions to hire Jim Bob Cooter as quarterbacks coach

That's a fake name, right?
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Amadeus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Shark wrote:
Report: Detroit Lions to hire Jim Bob Cooter as quarterbacks coach

That's a fake name, right?

Tell me he used to run a tow-truck company!
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 am

John Wendling has been one of the Detroit Lions’ most valuable special teams players the last four years, but general manager Martin Mayhew said today that Wendling won’t return for a fifth season in Detroit.

Mayhew said he spoke with Wendling and four other pending free agents earlier this month to thank them for their time in Detroit and let them know that the Lions would not be re-signing them for 2014.

Along with Wendling, defensive end Israel Idonije, kicker David Akers, linebacker Rocky McIntosh and offensive lineman Dylan Gandy will not return.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140221/S ... 302210064/

No surprise since he didn't kick off and couldn't make field goals.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Next

Return to Sports Forum