William Clay Ford Sr. dies

Discuss all sports news here

William Clay Ford Sr. dies

Postby Andy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:14 pm

I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Re: William Clay Ford Sr. dies

Postby D-Day » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Copying from dead athletes.....

D-Day wrote:He was the last of Henry Ford's grandkids, isn't he?

You know, as horrible as I have been hoping he would knock off with the hopes that the Lions would start doing better, it's still sad. He didn't kill anyone (no, crushing spirits doesn't count), and was probably a decent enough guy. He was still someone's dad, grandpa, uncle...etc.
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Mulligan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Any idea how the ownership is structured re estate taxes? I always hear that the Bills will have to be sold upon Ralph Wilson's death. Will the Lions stay under Ford family ownership, and, if so, how?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Mulligan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Mulligan wrote:Any idea how the ownership is structured re estate taxes? I always hear that the Bills will have to be sold upon Ralph Wilson's death. Will the Lions stay under Ford family ownership, and, if so, how?

I thought I recalled that George Steinbrenner died at a fortuitous time, so I did a google search.

Because Steinbrenner died in a year when there is no federal estate tax, he potentially saved his heirs a 55% estate tax on his assets — or a tax bill of about $600 million. The 55% tax takes effect on January 1, 2011. If Steinbrenner had died in 2009 when the estate tax rate was 45%, his estate tax bill might have been nearer $500 million. Because the wealthy often do elaborate planning, putting assets into trusts taxed separately from the estate or into foundations that are tax-exempt, it is unclear how large his estate will be. Estate taxes may also be postponed on assets left to a spouse in years when there is an estate tax.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/07 ... -tax-bill/

Isn't the estate tax at least part of the reason Bill Davidson's wife sold?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan

Postby Mulligan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Mulligan wrote:
Mulligan wrote:Any idea how the ownership is structured re estate taxes? I always hear that the Bills will have to be sold upon Ralph Wilson's death. Will the Lions stay under Ford family ownership, and, if so, how?

I thought I recalled that George Steinbrenner died at a fortuitous time, so I did a google search.

Because Steinbrenner died in a year when there is no federal estate tax, he potentially saved his heirs a 55% estate tax on his assets — or a tax bill of about $600 million. The 55% tax takes effect on January 1, 2011. If Steinbrenner had died in 2009 when the estate tax rate was 45%, his estate tax bill might have been nearer $500 million. Because the wealthy often do elaborate planning, putting assets into trusts taxed separately from the estate or into foundations that are tax-exempt, it is unclear how large his estate will be. Estate taxes may also be postponed on assets left to a spouse in years when there is an estate tax.

Any ideas on the Ilitch situation? That's two teams that will likely have to deal with this relatively soon.

Fingers crossed that Ralph Wilson posts a higher number than this recent birthday girl.
Mulligan

Postby D-Day » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 am

Mulligan wrote:
Mulligan wrote:

Any ideas on the Ilitch situation? That's two teams that will likely have to deal with this relatively soon.

Fingers crossed that Ralph Wilson posts a higher number than this recent birthday girl.

The Freep is saying that most likely the Lions will stay in the Ford family.......I tend to agree with this. The Rooneys kept the Steelers and the Browns kept the Bengals in the family

http://www.freep.com/article/20140309/S ... ord-family
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:13 pm

D-Day wrote:
Mulligan wrote:
Mulligan wrote:

The Freep is saying that most likely the Lions will stay in the Ford family.......I tend to agree with this. The Rooneys kept the Steelers and the Browns kept the Bengals in the family

http://www.freep.com/article/20140309/S ... ord-family

The Lions just released a statement to that point: “Pursuant to long-established succession plans, Mr. Ford’s controlling interest in the Lions passes to Mrs. Martha Ford. She and her four children will continue to be involved in the ownership of the franchise, as they have during Mr. Ford’s tenure.”

William Clay Ford, Jr. remains vice chairman.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Andy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:50 pm

What if Martha rules with an iron fist?

C'mon lady! Loosen those britches and throw some ultimatums around!
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Return to Sports Forum