2015 Detroit Tigers Season

Discuss all sports news here

2015 Detroit Tigers Season

Postby D-Day » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:23 pm

This is as good a place as any to start this thread.....

Cespedes for Porcello
Sources: Tigers land Cespedes from Red Sox for Porcello

The Detroit Tigers acquired power-hitting outfielder Yoenis Cespedes from the Detroit Tigers for right-hander Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer, FOX Sports 1 MLB Insider Jon Paul Morosi reported Thursday.
The Red Sox landed Cespedes during a trade deadline deal with the Oakland Athletics for left-handed ace Jon Lester. Cespedes, who was named to his first All-Star team in 2014, batted .269 with five homers and 33 RBI in 51 games for Boston.
Porcello has spent his first six seasons with Detroit, going 76-63 with a 4.30 ERA in his career. He went 15-13 with a 3.43 ERA last year in 31 starts. Porcello has won at least 10 games each year of his career.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/yoen ... llo-121114
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Re: 2015 Detroit Tigers Season

Postby Mulligan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:54 pm

D-Day wrote:This is as good a place as any to start this thread.....

Cespedes for Porcello

The Detroit Tigers acquired power-hitting outfielder Yoenis Cespedes from the Detroit Tigers for right-hander Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer, FOX Sports 1 MLB Insider Jon Paul Morosi reported Thursday.
The Red Sox landed Cespedes during a trade deadline deal with the Oakland Athletics for left-handed ace Jon Lester. Cespedes, who was named to his first All-Star team in 2014, batted .269 with five homers and 33 RBI in 51 games for Boston.
Porcello has spent his first six seasons with Detroit, going 76-63 with a 4.30 ERA in his career. He went 15-13 with a 3.43 ERA last year in 31 starts. Porcello has won at least 10 games each year of his career.

Coke Zero back in the rotation!
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby D-Day » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Mulligan wrote:
D-Day wrote:This is as good a place as any to start this thread.....

Cespedes for Porcello

Coke Zero back in the rotation!

Tigers Acquire Alfredo Simon
By Jeff Todd
The Tigers have officially agreed to a deal with the Reds for starter Alfredo Simon, . A pair of 23-year-olds will be headed to Cincinnati in the trade: shortstop Eugenio Suarez and pitching prospect Jonathan Crawford.

Simon, a veteran righty, is projected by MLBTR and Matt Swartz to earn $5.1MM in his final year of arbitration eligibility.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/t ... simon.html

Not so fast, my friend :)
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Doctor Detroit » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Not saying anything that hasn't been said plenty of times elsewhere, but any team giving Scherzer a 7 year contract for 180-200 million for a guy who is lucky to get out of the sixth are suckers.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:29 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:Not saying anything that hasn't been said plenty of times elsewhere, but any team giving Scherzer a 7 year contract for 180-200 million for a guy who is lucky to get out of the sixth are suckers.

This just in: the Washington Nationals are suckers.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit

Postby The Beav » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:04 am

And already the idiot fans are moaning that the Tigers will suck for years to come. If it keeps them out of Comerica, I'm happy.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Beav » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:05 am

By the way, Don Kelly signed with the Marlins w/ a minor league deal.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:06 pm

I caught a little of the Scherzer bile on the radio driving back from Indiana this afternoon (BTW: Drew Lane has no business on a sports talk show ... he's fucking awful).

I'm glad the Tigers are a thing; it sucked going into season after season knowing they had no chance and anyone who played remotely well probably was going to get shipped to a contender in August.
Now that they're good, everyone's an expert. This might be worth its own thread, but here are a couple of buzz phrases that make me shut down my ears when someone starts talking about:

- How much better Leyland was than Ausmus (all I know is Phil Coke was on the 2013 ALCS roster for one reason; to pitch to Papi. Who DIDN'T Leyland pitch against Papi?).
- Why Scherzer is so greedy (guy bet on himself and cashed in. Good for him ... and I think the Tigers got the best years he's going to have).
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Beav » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:40 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:I caught a little of the Scherzer bile on the radio driving back from Indiana this afternoon (BTW: Drew Lane has no business on a sports talk show ... he's fucking awful).

Drew Lane has no business doing anything, whatsoever.

I'm glad the Tigers are a thing; it sucked going into season after season knowing they had no chance and anyone who played remotely well probably was going to get shipped to a contender in August.
Now that they're good, everyone's an expert. This might be worth its own thread, but here are a couple of buzz phrases that make me shut down my ears when someone starts talking about:

- How much better Leyland was than Ausmus (all I know is Phil Coke was on the 2013 ALCS roster for one reason; to pitch to Papi. Who DIDN'T Leyland pitch against Papi?).
- Why Scherzer is so greedy (guy bet on himself and cashed in. Good for him ... and I think the Tigers got the best years he's going to have).

You've said it before-- People in this area love to tell people how to spend their money. In this case it was how to make money. How many times I heard about Al Kaline not taking a pay raise and Norm Cash working two jobs. Puke. Do MLB players make too much money? Yes. Do idiots keep filling the stands paying $9 a beer? Yes.

It's baseball. It's pretty much been this way since Curtis Flood. Most of those fucktards calling and complaining probably don't know who Curtis Flood was.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Doctor Detroit » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:16 am

In listening to sports radio callers, you have to realize the demographic you're dealing with.

First – People who listen to sports radio. This is a big pool and doesn't tell us much.

Narrow to people willing to call sports radio and sit on hold for 20 minutes to get to talk for maybe 3 minutes, spending much of the time getting interrupted or talked over depending on the on-air talent.

Narrow further to people who have an opinion stupid or outrageous enough to be interesting, therefore making it past the call screener. If they just let a bunch of people with the same rational opinion through, nobody would listen.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit

Postby D-Day » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Hmmmmmm........I hate the shift, but WTF, if a team is gonna give you one side of the field and you can't take it, then isn't that kinda on you??

Manfred Considering Removing Defensive Shifts in Baseball

It definitely did not take long for new MLB commissioner Rob Manfred to strike up some conversation and controversy in the world of baseball. In an recent interview with ESPN's Karl Ravech, Manfred was asked about some things he'd be open to changing in baseball. Defensive shifts was among the ideas that has opened some eyes and ears in the last 24 hours. Here is a little bit of what Rob Manfred said when being asked about possible changes:

“For example,” Manfred volunteered, “things like eliminating shifts, I would be open to those sorts of ideas.”

At one point, Manfred said he's entertaining the thought of "injecting additional offense in the game." This is coming off a season where MLB saw its teams average 4.07 runs per game, which is the lowest for an entire season since 1976. Sure, that number may not seem like a lot but when you play a 162-game schedule, it makes all the difference in the world. There have been a few people to say the least that have chimed in with their opinions about Manfred's idea of banning defensive shifts:

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit- ... 20Baseball
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Doctor Detroit » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:54 pm

D-Day wrote:Hmmmmmm........I hate the shift, but WTF, if a team is gonna give you one side of the field and you can't take it, then isn't that kinda on you??

Manfred Considering Removing Defensive Shifts in Baseball

It definitely did not take long for new MLB commissioner Rob Manfred to strike up some conversation and controversy in the world of baseball. In an recent interview with ESPN's Karl Ravech, Manfred was asked about some things he'd be open to changing in baseball. Defensive shifts was among the ideas that has opened some eyes and ears in the last 24 hours. Here is a little bit of what Rob Manfred said when being asked about possible changes:

“For example,” Manfred volunteered, “things like eliminating shifts, I would be open to those sorts of ideas.”

At one point, Manfred said he's entertaining the thought of "injecting additional offense in the game." This is coming off a season where MLB saw its teams average 4.07 runs per game, which is the lowest for an entire season since 1976. Sure, that number may not seem like a lot but when you play a 162-game schedule, it makes all the difference in the world. There have been a few people to say the least that have chimed in with their opinions about Manfred's idea of banning defensive shifts:

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit- ... 20Baseball

Hmm. I think I'm against banning the shift. This article has a decent theory on how it would be applied, though.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rob-manf ... ban-2015-1
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit

Postby D-Day » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:59 am

The Reds just outrighted Sam LeCure. I've watched this guy pitch for the Reds for three years now and if the Tigers want to shore up a weak bullpen, here he is.
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:03 pm

The Twins are not good.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby D-Day » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Joe Nathan out for the year..........Looks like it's Soria from here on out in the 9th

D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Next

Return to Sports Forum