Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Discuss all sports news here

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Shark wrote:
Doctor Detroit wrote:Some time ago SA asked this one, but nobody really answered, plus I think there is one more than what he was asking for:

Name six ways a player can get on first base without hitting the ball.


I used to have season tickets next to a guy who asked me and my friend this puzzler a couple times a year.

Base on balls
Hit by pitch
Catcher's interference
Uncaught third strike
Pinch runner


That's five, and I believe that is the correct answer. The possible sixth would be a balk with no men on base and three balls, but upon reading up further at MLB.com that would be scored a walk. So there really was a sixth way of getting there, but technically, on the score sheet, there is not.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
User avatar
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President
 
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Mulligan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 am

The Tigers hold the record for most seasons played together by nine teammates. Name the nine Tigers who were on the roster together for 10 seasons.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5240
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby D-Day » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Mulligan wrote:The Tigers hold the record for most seasons played together by nine teammates. Name the nine Tigers who were on the roster together for 10 seasons.


Kaline
Stanley
Cash
McAuliffe
Northrop
Brown
Horton
Freehan
Lolich
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4323
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Mulligan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:09 pm

D-Day wrote:
Mulligan wrote:The Tigers hold the record for most seasons played together by nine teammates. Name the nine Tigers who were on the roster together for 10 seasons.


Kaline
Stanley
Cash
McAuliffe
Northrop
Brown
Horton
Freehan
Lolich


Well done. Nine for nine. Somehow I pictured someone more contemporary to the '68 team **cough, Gully** acing this one.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5240
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby D-Day » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Mulligan wrote:
D-Day wrote:
Mulligan wrote:The Tigers hold the record for most seasons played together by nine teammates. Name the nine Tigers who were on the roster together for 10 seasons.


Kaline
Stanley
Cash
McAuliffe
Northrop
Brown
Horton
Freehan
Lolich


Well done. Nine for nine. Somehow I pictured someone more contemporary to the '68 team **cough, Gully** acing this one.


Holy Christ....other than picking the '68 team because I just happened to know that a lot of the players from that team had long careers with the Tigers and that it was right before the Curt Flood case, that was a total stab in the dark
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4323
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Mulligan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:48 am

Name the bottom 10 starting pitchers (out of 85 ranked) in velocity for 2012. Here are their numbers:

Rank vFA
76: 88.0
77: 87.9
78: 87.8
79: 87.4
80: 87.3
81: 86.7
82: 86.3
83: 84.9
84: 83.7
85: 83.0
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5240
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby D-Day » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Mulligan wrote:Name the bottom 10 starting pitchers (out of 85 ranked) in velocity for 2012. Here are their numbers:

Rank vFA
76: 88.0
77: 87.9
78: 87.8
79: 87.4
80: 87.3
81: 86.7
82: 86.3
83: 84.9
84: 83.7
85: 83.0


Bronson Arroyo
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4323
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Mulligan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:03 pm

D-Day wrote:
Mulligan wrote:Name the bottom 10 starting pitchers (out of 85 ranked) in velocity for 2012. Here are their numbers:

Rank vFA
76: 88.0
77: 87.9
78: 87.8
79: 87.4
80: 87.3
81: 86.7
82: Bronson Arroyo, Reds, 86.3
83: 84.9
84: 83.7
85: 83.0


Bronson Arroyo
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5240
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Roquefort Robert » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm

RA Dickey
By using the El Dorado Atmospheric and Oceanic temperatures thermal map. I caculated the contrary direction where the polar jet stream is going and it didn't look pretty.
User avatar
Roquefort Robert
HFD Resident Perv
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Flint

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Mulligan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Roquefort Robert wrote:RA Dickey


Name the bottom 10 starting pitchers (out of 85 ranked) in velocity for 2012. Here are their numbers:

Rank vFA
76: 88.0
77: 87.9
78: 87.8
79: 87.4
80: 87.3
81: 86.7
82: Bronson Arroyo, Reds, 86.3
83: 84.9
84: 83.7
85: R.A. Dickey, Mets, 83.0
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5240
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby Mulligan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 pm

All right, I guess this quiz was a dud. Here are the answers.

Mulligan wrote:Name the bottom 10 starting pitchers (out of 85 ranked) in velocity for 2012. Here are their numbers:

Rank vFA
76: Jered Weaver, Angels, 88.0
77: Jason Vargas, Mariners, 87.9
78: Paul Maholm, Cubs/Braves, 87.8
79: Tommy Milone, Athletics, 87.4
80: Bruce Chen, Royals, 87.3
81: Chris Capuano, Dodgers, 86.7
82: Bronson Arroyo, Reds, 86.3
83: Mark Buehrle, Marlins, 84.9
84: Barry Zito, Giants, 83.7
85: R.A. Dickey, Mets, 83.0
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5240
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: Chad Sexington: The Chest Thumping Stump Jumper

Postby The Beav » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Mulligan wrote:All right, I guess this quiz was a dud. Here are the answers.

Mulligan wrote:Name the bottom 10 starting pitchers (out of 85 ranked) in velocity for 2012. Here are their numbers:

Rank vFA
76: Jered Weaver, Angels, 88.0
77: Jason Vargas, Mariners, 87.9
78: Paul Maholm, Cubs/Braves, 87.8
79: Tommy Milone, Athletics, 87.4
80: Bruce Chen, Royals, 87.3
81: Chris Capuano, Dodgers, 86.7
82: Bronson Arroyo, Reds, 86.3
83: Mark Buehrle, Marlins, 84.9
84: Barry Zito, Giants, 83.7
85: R.A. Dickey, Mets, 83.0


Great question. I just had no clue.
User avatar
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy
 
Posts: 12383
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Reruns.

Previous

Return to Sports Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron