Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Discuss all sports news here

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 am

The following picture is a little graphic, but it shows the damage done to Massa's face and helmet by the flying shrapnel.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc27 ... elment.jpg


Jeebus. I hadn't seen that image yet.

Considering the impact, speed and trajectory was very simmilar to Senna's, its a miracle he is alive. I think the biggest change has been the elimination of off track launch points. Too bad no one thought to eliminate them in 1999 at Fontana.

Zanardi's accident and recovery still remain a modern miracle.

I really hope Massa has a shot to return and be competitivce. I am still disappointed in last season. Overall, I think he was a better driver and deserved the championship. Hamilton lucked in to it with Felipe's engine grenading at Hungary among other things. Three more laps in Hungary and there's no chance at Hamilton for the title. It'd be a real shame if Massa never got another crack at the title.

Do the math. If John Surtees is 75 and his son was 18...
User avatar
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan
 
Posts: 3802
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Escaped.

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby susanarosa » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Too bad no one thought to eliminate them in 1999 at Fontana.


*sniff*

Still breaks my heart.
User avatar
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl
 
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 am
Location: the couch

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:56 pm

susanarosa wrote:
Too bad no one thought to eliminate them in 1999 at Fontana.


*sniff*

Still breaks my heart.


A completely unnecessary outcome. The poor design and execution of the aprons and run-offs is still shocking considering the it was 1999.

I waver between broken heart and anger.

The kid was going to be a total star.

Good news is that Felipe has been removed from the induced coma and is speaking and interacting with the doctors.
User avatar
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan
 
Posts: 3802
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Escaped.

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby susanarosa » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm

That is wonderful news.
User avatar
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl
 
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 am
Location: the couch

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 pm

susanarosa wrote:That is wonderful news.


Doctors hopeful Massa could leave hospital next week

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9696.html
User avatar
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan
 
Posts: 3802
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Escaped.

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:27 pm

User avatar
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan
 
Posts: 3802
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Escaped.

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby susanarosa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Ansel Rakestraw wrote:Der Regenmeister returns....

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9703.html


I think I'm hyperventilating.
User avatar
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl
 
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 am
Location: the couch

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 am

susanarosa wrote:
Ansel Rakestraw wrote:Der Regenmeister returns....

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9703.html


I think I'm hyperventilating.


You and me both. It will be fascinating to see if he still has the speed and what he can do with KERS. It will also be instructive to see if he provides better car development feedback. Kimi and Felipe seem like they are not quite as good at that as he is /was.

The perfect moment will be him battling with Lewis.
User avatar
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan
 
Posts: 3802
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Escaped.

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby detroitrulez » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:56 am

Ansel Rakestraw wrote:
susanarosa wrote:
Ansel Rakestraw wrote:Der Regenmeister returns....

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9703.html


I think I'm hyperventilating.


You and me both. It will be fascinating to see if he still has the speed and what he can do with KERS. It will also be instructive to see if he provides better car development feedback. Kimi and Felipe seem like they are not quite as good at that as he is /was.

The perfect moment will be him battling with Lewis.


You and me three!! MUTHERFUCKING awesome NEWS. yEAHHHH!
All Detroit! All the Time!!

Proud Purveyors of Mama Ya Mar's Homemade Yemani Corned Beef Sticks
User avatar
detroitrulez
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby gravitymachine » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:06 pm

how far did this aston martin fly?

Image
User avatar
gravitymachine
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: she'll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby gravitymachine » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:10 pm

detroitrulez wrote:
Ansel Rakestraw wrote:
susanarosa wrote:
Ansel Rakestraw wrote:Der Regenmeister returns....

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9703.html


I think I'm hyperventilating.


You and me both. It will be fascinating to see if he still has the speed and what he can do with KERS. It will also be instructive to see if he provides better car development feedback. Kimi and Felipe seem like they are not quite as good at that as he is /was.

The perfect moment will be him battling with Lewis.


You and me three!! MUTHERFUCKING awesome NEWS. yEAHHHH!


oh snap!
User avatar
gravitymachine
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: she'll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby gravitymachine » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:08 pm

gravitymachine wrote:how far did this aston martin fly?

Image


ok, no one seems to want to bite

it was further than the wright brothers at kitty hawk

User avatar
gravitymachine
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: she'll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:47 pm

gravitymachine wrote:
gravitymachine wrote:how far did this aston martin fly?

Image


ok, no one seems to want to bite

it was further than the wright brothers at kitty hawk



I don't think it flew as long as the CLR - GT1 in 1999. It certainly didn't get as high.



Those beasties flew every where that year - not just the two ding-dongs along the Mulsanne. Road Atlanta served as a launcg pad.

User avatar
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan
 
Posts: 3802
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Escaped.

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby gravitymachine » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 pm

i watched the coverage of le mans that year the merc flipped, it was amazing


not so much trivia, but here is a great vid of marcus gronholm's pikes peak attempt this year in a 800hp I4 powered ford fiesta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-hOkb7mOw
User avatar
gravitymachine
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: she'll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Re: Sweet-Ass Car Racing Trivia Thread

Postby susanarosa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:34 pm

I can't think of anywhere else to put this.

When did JPM get so... puffy?

Image

I thought it was Tony Stewart at first.
User avatar
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl
 
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:52 am
Location: the couch

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron