Why I hate ESPN (redux)

Discuss all sports news here

Why I hate ESPN (redux)

Postby D-Day » Sun May 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Carrying this over from before the "incident"

I'll start........they have the most enormous man crush on Barry Bonds possible. I could give a fuck less that he's coming up...........show me when he's close to passing Aaron.
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper

Postby Andy » Sun May 13, 2007 4:48 pm

They've got a new Ombudsman now:

A problem remains. ESPN may not be a monolith, but it often appears to be one. Especially when launching new endeavors like Arena Football or NASCAR or Major League Soccer, someone at ESPN, perhaps everyone at ESPN, should be aware of the appearance of overzealous promotion. Synergy can backfire. Wooing us with a new sport is fine, but when you flood the zone all at once on all platforms, at least some of us will feel stalked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... id=2866241
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby chad sexington » Mon May 14, 2007 9:09 am

And Joe Morgan last night...Jesus fucking Christ...can you just shut the fuck up for 5 seconds. He made the "observation" that the Tiger pitchers were "up" in the strike zone about 400 times.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby davecat » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 am

He's gotta get those pitches down...they're not down...he needs to throw it in the dirt, Pudge will catch it, just throw it in the dirt...there's another one high...he needs to get them down...he should try to throw it in the dirt, to see if he can get it down....see, that one was high again...he needs to try to get those pitches down...
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby chad sexington » Mon May 14, 2007 9:33 am

He actually made the recommendation at one point that the pitcher should "bounce" the ball up to the plate. I swear to God.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Woodwards Friend » Mon May 14, 2007 1:03 pm

Listening to Lupica, Mitch, and friends naval gaze about the racial divide in America made for a particularly painful episode of the Sports Reporters yesterday.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby chad sexington » Mon May 14, 2007 1:21 pm

The whole Barry Bonds race argument is so tired. If Ken Griffey Jr. was set to break this record..everyone, (white or black) would be rooting for him. The bottom line is that most people with a brain believe that BB took steroids....and he's also been a total asshole his entire career.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Andy » Mon May 14, 2007 1:30 pm

Plus, the whole race topic seems that much more forced since the current career HR leader is black.

Hank Aaron may have gotten some hate mail back in the day and that sucks, but other than Rob Parker, who hasn't celebrated this man as truly deserving of the record? He's baseball royalty and rightfully so.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby chad sexington » Mon May 14, 2007 1:41 pm

I think its ironic that ESPN recently aired an Outside The Lines episode focusing on how the black community does not embrace baseball anymore. They explained that baseball runs a very distant 4th...behind basketball, football, and video games. The white people that have answered the ESPN polls are most likely baseball fans. According to ESPN's prior "study", the odds are that the black folks polled don't even follow baseball....My guess is that the black responses are based more heavily on race than the white responses. Just my opinion.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Ya Mar » Mon May 14, 2007 1:47 pm

One of the crazy things about Orange County is how HUGE baseball is.

Every diamond there are games.

t-ball. little league. high school. adult rec leagues.

And not softball -- fast pitch baseball.

20 and 30 year olds in uniforms playing baseball.

Go to the park with the kids, and go watch a game at the same time.

It is very odd.
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby chad sexington » Mon May 14, 2007 1:49 pm

One of the crazy things about Orange County is how HUGE baseball is.

I believe it...just based on the amount of MLB talent that comes from that area. As well as the attendance for the Dodgers and Angels..
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Mon May 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Plus, the whole race topic seems that much more forced since the current career HR leader is black.

It is very bizarre how this turns out....

I once had a couple of employees [waaaay back in the day] accuse me of being racist because I felt Evander Holyfield was a better boxer (he was) than Mike Tyson (powerful punch, lousy boxer)...

It was completely surreal....somehow Holyfield was seen as a "white" boxer and not as "black" as Tyson, therefore my support of Holyfield HAD to be race related. These fuckwads weren't kidding either.
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby Ya Mar » Mon May 14, 2007 2:57 pm

Ansel Rakestraw wrote:

It is very bizarre how this turns out....

I once had a couple of employees [waaaay back in the day] accuse me of being racist because I felt Evander Holyfield was a better boxer (he was) than Mike Tyson (powerful punch, lousy boxer)...

It was completely surreal....somehow Holyfield was seen as a "white" boxer and not as "black" as Tyson, therefore my support of Holyfield HAD to be race related. These fuckwads weren't kidding either.

Harkens back to all the fun "Helmut vs. Kwame" discussions.

I miss Brian...
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby chad sexington » Mon May 14, 2007 3:00 pm

That's why I love Michael Vick and Lawrence Phillips... nothing like those Uncle Tom's... Donovan McNabb and Barry Sanders.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Ya Mar » Mon May 14, 2007 3:11 pm

If Grant Hill had 1/4 of the street cred that Chris Washburn had, nobody would question his softness.
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Next

Return to Sports Forum