Awesome statements from the sports world

Discuss all sports news here

Awesome statements from the sports world

Postby davecat » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:27 pm

I think this thread died with the old site. Let's turn it over to our friend Ichiro to get it going again:

“To tell the truth, I'm not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to,” Ichiro said through an interpreter. “If I ever saw myself saying I'm excited going to Cleveland, I'd punch myself in the face, because I'm lying.”
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Re: Awesome statements from the sports world

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:31 pm

davecat wrote:I think this thread died with the old site. Let's turn it over to our friend Ichiro to get it going again:

“To tell the truth, I'm not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to,” Ichiro said through an interpreter. “If I ever saw myself saying I'm excited going to Cleveland, I'd punch myself in the face, because I'm lying.”

It's even funnier when you think of the poor interpreter who had to pass that nugget onto the writers.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Woodwards Friend » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:19 am

Anyone catch Vince Young talking about Pacman Jones on Sportscenter this morning? He used the phrase "at the same time" five or six times in one sound bite. Partial quote:

“We want him to know these guys over here, we love him a whole lot, but we feel like he don’t care about us right now,” Young said following the Titans Organized Team Activity session at Baptist Sports Park.

At the same time, that’s his issue,” Young continued. “He has got to take care of his problem. We want him back here, to come back over here playing and making plays because he does a whole lot for our team, but at the same time we as a team we are feeling like, ‘Man, does he care about us over here?’”

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 1/70621032
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Megatron » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Woodwards Friend wrote:Anyone catch Vince Young talking about Pacman Jones on Sportscenter this morning? He used the phrase "at the same time" five or six times in one sound bite. Partial quote:

“We want him to know these guys over here, we love him a whole lot, but we feel like he don’t care about us right now,” Young said following the Titans Organized Team Activity session at Baptist Sports Park.

At the same time, that’s his issue,” Young continued. “He has got to take care of his problem. We want him back here, to come back over here playing and making plays because he does a whole lot for our team, but at the same time we as a team we are feeling like, ‘Man, does he care about us over here?’”

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 1/70621032

Way to put that college education to use Vince.

Moderator, please cross post in grammer pet peeves
Megatron
Hot Fudge Former Kool Aid Drinker

Postby Andy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Maybe those Wonderlic tests are pretty accurate after all.

Vince Young's horribly low score on the Wonderlic intelligence test — reportedly 6 of a possible 50 — has given teams at the top of the NFL Draft plenty of extra work to do. It also might end up changing how the picks fall at the top of the first round.

Going into the NFL Scouting Combine, the junior quarterback from Texas looked certain to be one of the top four picks. But after scoring so poorly on the Wonderlic, Young's status as a top-5 or even top-10 pick could be in jeopardy.

ProFootballTalk.com broke the story of Young's score Sunday, and several NFL scouts confirmed it. Any score less than 15 is extremely low for a quarterback, and most teams want players at that position to score at least a 20.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... rlic_x.htm
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Mulligan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:21 pm

Joe Torre quote in response to Sheffield claiming the manager treated white and black players differently.
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 2/70713079

I just don't even want to answer those types of questions because I feel comfort not answering.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:57 am

"No one knows he's black until they look at the back of his jersey and see 'Sheffield.' "

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2935737

Alright then Gary.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby David Hall » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:56 pm

Sheffield from the same article:

He also says that he never took steroids because "the bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."
Basically, I believe you have to do what you love, learning as a loan wolf, before you can join a pack.
David Hall
Hot Fudge Mortgage Expert

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:27 am

What is Stephon Marbury on?

Or is he just that stupid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTjebH2fLU
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Ansel Rakestraw » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:46 am

Bush to ESPN: Tigers will be back in Series
July 18, 2007

BY JOHN LOWE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

MINNEAPOLIS -- In an interview with ESPN, President George W. Bush complimented Tigers owner Mike Ilitch and predicted the Tigers will return to the World Series.

"I think Detroit will be in the World Series," Bush said. "I think they'll nose out Boston. I know that may be counterintuitive, but their young pitching is great, and they've got the flamethrower Zumala back."

ESPN's Karl Ravech, who was interviewing Bush, told him the flamethrower's name is Zumaya.

"Zumaya ... Zumala, Zumaya," Bush said. "I think they'll be pretty tough."

Upon being told that Bush had predicted the Tigers will return to the World Series, centerfielder Curtis Granderson said, "It's good to have the big guy in charge on our side."

Bush owned the Texas Rangers when Ilitch bought the Tigers in 1992.

In citing how different teams are now winning each season, Bush told ESPN in the interview Sunday, "I mean, look at the Tigers. Mike Ilitch, I know and like, put together a really good club with young pitching. And it really is the model for some of these smaller-market clubs."
Ansel Rakestraw
Hot Fudge Charlatan

Postby T-Bone » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:02 pm

After Mariners reliever Ryan Rowland-Smith made his major league debut last month against Griffey, the Australian pitcher said he was glad to face Junior because the outfielder was the only active player his friends back home would recognize. "And the only reason they would know him is because he was on 'The Simpsons' years ago," Rowland-Smith said. "If I gave them the name of any other superstar they wouldn't know him. But Griffey and Babe Ruth they would recognize."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... d=tab5pos2
T-Bone
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Mike Piazza said he will press charges against a fan who allegedly threw a half-full water bottle at him during Wednesday afternoon's Oakland Athletics-Los Angeles Angels game, hitting the A's designated hitter in the back of the head.

"I'm pressing charges,'' Piazza told reporters. "He's going to spend the night in jail. He hit me right in the helmet. ... It's just inexcusable at a baseball game to throw a bottle at someone. Just a joke."

The incident happened as the Athletics were staging a three-run rally in the top of the ninth inning. Piazza was standing in the on-deck circle when he was hit from behind.

The game was interrupted as Piazza used his bat to point out the fan he thought was responsible.

"It startled the heck out of me, a thump to the back of my head,'' he told reporters. "I turned around and was like, 'Was it you? Or you or you?' Everyone pointed at the guy and I said, 'You're gutless,' and he started walking out. There he goes, the bravest guy in the world. That's a complete lower level of stupidity."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2949665
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby susanarosa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Andy wrote:
Mike Piazza said he will press charges against a fan who allegedly threw a half-full water bottle at him during Wednesday afternoon's Oakland Athletics-Los Angeles Angels game, hitting the A's designated hitter in the back of the head.

"I'm pressing charges,'' Piazza told reporters. "He's going to spend the night in jail. He hit me right in the helmet. ... It's just inexcusable at a baseball game to throw a bottle at someone. Just a joke."

The incident happened as the Athletics were staging a three-run rally in the top of the ninth inning. Piazza was standing in the on-deck circle when he was hit from behind.

The game was interrupted as Piazza used his bat to point out the fan he thought was responsible.

"It startled the heck out of me, a thump to the back of my head,'' he told reporters. "I turned around and was like, 'Was it you? Or you or you?' Everyone pointed at the guy and I said, 'You're gutless,' and he started walking out. There he goes, the bravest guy in the world. That's a complete lower level of stupidity."

Like it's the first time that has ever happened...
susanarosa
Hot Fudge Girl

Postby Ya Mar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Andy wrote:

At least he had a positive outlook...
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing

Postby Woodwards Friend » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:23 pm

Andy wrote:
"It's just inexcusable at a baseball game to throw a bottle at someone. Just a joke."[/b]

Anyone else think he's still bitter at Clemens for the World Series incident?
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Next

Return to Sports Forum