Dead Celebrities

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby Toolbox » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 am

The Suburban Avenger wrote:I always enjoy hearing about former athletes who take the money and use it to do something entirely different and useful.

Eric Heiden, the 1980 Olympics speed skater, is now an orthopaedic surgeon.
Amy Chow, one of the 1996 Olympic gymnasts, is a pediatric surgeon today.
Alan Page earned a law degree from Minnesota after his playing career and currently sits on that state's Supreme Court.

And it goes on like that. My father used to be part of a team that screened and interviewed candidates for sales positions at Ford and he said he often found college athletes were among the best organized of the lot (to be sure, he found that people in any discipline that required extreme budgeting of their time were ahead of the pack) and took rather well to learning what they didn't already know when they got into the corporate world.

There are a lot more things for kids to get involved with today (shit, it seems like there now is big money to be made as people watch you play video games ... so there's that) but the old deal seems the same: If they can balance it well with school and friends, it usually ends up being an asset later in life.

Dr Eric Heiden and his sister Beth are normal people you can talk to and never know what their past accomplishments are if you just met them. He is a hell of a bicycle rider on the road and track.

I think your dad would be sadly disappointed by todays star college athletes but not by the average joe athlete.

Milo Aukerman from The Descendants had his fame as lead singer and then went to school to pursue a career in molecular biology. The band is currently touring as he is seeking his next grant for research funding.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 am

The pre-bankruptcy leadership at GM had a good number of former college athletes. Look around in those days and the biggest of the big shots had played college football, baseball, or basketball. From psych 101 I remember a point about tall people and good-looking people getting deference and generally having an easier go at life than the short, dumpy, and average, and those guys in those days hit all of the marks. People used to reference the "mafia" or the "Cadillac mafia" which was a network of GM high-fliers who at some point coalesced around assignments on the premium Cadillac brand. These guys, the athletes well-represented here, were acknowledged to be leading charmed lives and charmed careers, hopscotching from one plum assignment to the next.

In 2006 things began to get very wobbly at the General; you might remember the time as one of the leading edge of employee buy-outs and the shuttering of plants. But the mafia/athletes had things under control because there were $30B in cash reserves and everyone knew that this was enough to spend their way out of any crisis. Fast forward just a few short years and the mafia was largely broken, for the most part kicked out or running bullshit backwaters that in the old days were regarded as jokes.

I'm not saying that the athletes drove the General into the ditch. Actually, I felt that the reforms of the Rick Wagoner team would have worked given time and had not the mortgage crisis nearly sunk the entire country. But when I think about those guys and the doors that their letter jackets and swagger may have opened I can feel a little sad for them and how the world turned and literally blew up in their hands.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am

Toolbox wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:I always enjoy hearing about former athletes who take the money and use it to do something entirely different and useful.

Eric Heiden, the 1980 Olympics speed skater, is now an orthopaedic surgeon.
Amy Chow, one of the 1996 Olympic gymnasts, is a pediatric surgeon today.
Alan Page earned a law degree from Minnesota after his playing career and currently sits on that state's Supreme Court.

And it goes on like that. My father used to be part of a team that screened and interviewed candidates for sales positions at Ford and he said he often found college athletes were among the best organized of the lot (to be sure, he found that people in any discipline that required extreme budgeting of their time were ahead of the pack) and took rather well to learning what they didn't already know when they got into the corporate world.

There are a lot more things for kids to get involved with today (shit, it seems like there now is big money to be made as people watch you play video games ... so there's that) but the old deal seems the same: If they can balance it well with school and friends, it usually ends up being an asset later in life.

Dr Eric Heiden and his sister Beth are normal people you can talk to and never know what their past accomplishments are if you just met them. He is a hell of a bicycle rider on the road and track.

I think your dad would be sadly disappointed by todays star college athletes but not by the average joe athlete.

Milo Aukerman from The Descendants had his fame as lead singer and then went to school to pursue a career in molecular biology. The band is currently touring as he is seeking his next grant for research funding.

I guess I should have been more specific: The team my dad was on were usually impressed by athletes coming from sports without the built-in delusions of grandeur. Think women's basketball circa 1987 or any number of obscure sports that required long hours to earn the half-scholarship or whatever pittance they got compared to the football and men's basketball teams. In general, he said, these folks were aces when it came to budgeting their time and laying out what it would take to get things done.

Milo is a great example. The documentary about the Descendants is awesome, BTW.
If I heard right, the lead singer of Offspring has some sort of advanced bio/life science degree(s) as well.

But when I think about those guys and the doors that their letter jackets and swagger may have opened I can feel a little sad for them and how the world turned and literally blew up in their hands.

Add the 'right schools' to that list and you've got the genesis of a lot of business failures/colossal fuckups.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Beav » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:45 pm

pdtpuck wrote:
The Beav wrote:
pdtpuck wrote:Jay North, who played the incessantly annoying Dennis the Menace, had his bouts with the common pitfalls of childhood fame (and some batshit crazy family), but finally came out of the other side pretty well intact after being put in touch with a therapist recommended by former co-star Jeannie Russell (Margaret on DtM). He later joined the counseling concern "A Minor Consideration" to help other stars with their own demons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_North
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Petersen#A_Minor_Consideration

He was once my avatar a loooooooong time ago.

I believe I remember that one! Haha!

I have them all saved somewhere.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:19 pm

The Beav wrote:
pdtpuck wrote:
The Beav wrote:
pdtpuck wrote:Jay North, who played the incessantly annoying Dennis the Menace, had his bouts with the common pitfalls of childhood fame (and some batshit crazy family), but finally came out of the other side pretty well intact after being put in touch with a therapist recommended by former co-star Jeannie Russell (Margaret on DtM). He later joined the counseling concern "A Minor Consideration" to help other stars with their own demons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_North
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Petersen#A_Minor_Consideration

He was once my avatar a loooooooong time ago.

I believe I remember that one! Haha!

I have them all saved somewhere.

I hear you. I have all of mine somewhere on my computer, too.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby pdtpuck » Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Michael Parks, veteran character actor (Kill Bill among many), at 77.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-parks-dead-dies_us_59133975e4b050bdca618b07
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 am

My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby middle aged female » Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 am

No one cares that James Bond is dead?
RIP Sir Roger; have one shaken, not stirred, for me.
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Dexter Fenkle » Sat May 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Greg Allman, age 69
Dexter Fenkle
Hot Fudge Pimp Hand

Postby middle aged female » Sat May 27, 2017 7:57 pm

and Jim Bunning ran out of innings today.
middle aged female

Postby guest » Wed May 31, 2017 1:01 am

Manuel Noriega, Dictator Ousted by U.S. in Panama, Dies at 83

I thought he was already dead
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby middle aged female » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Na na na na Na na na no more Batman.
RIP Adam West
Last edited by middle aged female on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
middle aged female

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:48 pm

middle aged female wrote:Na na na na Na na na no more Batmat.
RIP Adam West

The Robert E. Lee Theatre (yep) in Lakeview, La., always showed a kid-friendly movie on Saturday mornings in the mid- to late 70s, so my grandparents took us most every time so our folks could do whatever they needed to do without the three of us underfoot. I can remember seeing the full-length Batman movie there way back when and, like most little kids, thought it was the coolest thing ever.

The Robert E. Lee, in a great bit of foreshadowing, was irreparably damaged during Katrina and was torn down to make way for a Whole Foods.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby guest » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 pm

the queen of the underground
RIP Anita Pallenberg
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:56 am

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/entertainment/stephen-furst-obit/index.html
Flounder has gone to the great Delta House in the sky.
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

PreviousNext

Return to Other Discussions