Dead Celebrities

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby middle aged female » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Erin Moran, Chachi's Joanie, gone at 56
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby vlad the impaler » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 am

middle aged female wrote:Erin Moran, Chachi's Joanie, gone at 56


The only thing I remember about her, other than being on Happy Days, was a TV interview ten or fifteen years ago where she was clearly off her meds- angry, paranoid, incoherent and wild eyed about aliens trying to kidnap her, and when the interview ended the host said, "I hope Ms. Moran is able to get the help she needs."
User avatar
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:57 am
Location: Romania

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby middle aged female » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:57 am

vlad the impaler wrote:
middle aged female wrote:Erin Moran, Chachi's Joanie, gone at 56


The only thing I remember about her, other than being on Happy Days, was a TV interview ten or fifteen years ago where she was clearly off her meds- angry, paranoid, incoherent and wild eyed about aliens trying to kidnap her, and when the interview ended the host said, "I hope Ms. Moran is able to get the help she needs."

She's another lost child star. Poor kid. Even though she was 56 she was a kid
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby vlad the impaler » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:10 am

middle aged female wrote:She's another lost child star.


I suppose. The TV Land cemetary is full of lost child stars. One of my earliest exposures to child actor tragedy, maybe even the first time I heard about it as a kid, was when my babysitter told me that Buffy from the Family Affair had OD'd.

I never got too excited about Erin Moran and her perma-grin but I will admit to having a huge schoolboy crush on Dana Plato.
User avatar
vlad the impaler
Highly Appreciated and Valued
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:57 am
Location: Romania

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby Craig » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm

I dont think of myself as a star-f'er or the kind who reads People or watches Access Hollywood but i still find it interesting to hear the odd bit of celebrity news. Reference earlier discussions here about how strangers on a radio program can gain an emotional foothold over you, Joe and Jane Consumer. It works that way sometimes and to my surprise news about the faces and voices from entertainment world will sometimes hit me and I realize that maybe I do give a little bit of a shit about people I'd forgotten. Why, I dont know, maybe it's realizing anew that everyone is a person, like i have a bad spell at work and then it means something that Erin whatshername couldn't find work forever and ended up in a trailer. Wow, just like us or something, or maybe worse than us.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
User avatar
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm
Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Craig wrote:I dont think of myself as a star-f'er or the kind who reads People or watches Access Hollywood but i still find it interesting to hear the odd bit of celebrity news. Reference earlier discussions here about how strangers on a radio program can gain an emotional foothold over you, Joe and Jane Consumer. It works that way sometimes and to my surprise news about the faces and voices from entertainment world will sometimes hit me and I realize that maybe I do give a little bit of a shit about people I'd forgotten. Why, I dont know, maybe it's realizing anew that everyone is a person, like i have a bad spell at work and then it means something that Erin whatshername couldn't find work forever and ended up in a trailer. Wow, just like us or something, or maybe worse than us.


One of those 'where are they now?' shows was on a while back and it was cool to see the many people who, once the clock ticked past 15 minutes, were able to understand (or had people close to them who understood) that it was time to hang it up and find real work that was going to get them through the next 30, 40 or 50 years. For many of them, it still was in show business, but on the other side of the camera. Others do completely non-showbiz type stuff ... and seem very happy with it.

I know nothing about Erin Moran or how she got to where she got. Just throwing it out there. It's always seemed to me that the highest highs affect ordinary people just as much as rock bottom, only that a brush with fame can be a horrible bitch if you spend the rest of your life trying to get it back.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
User avatar
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: About $8.25 in tolls from Chicago.

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby Morty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Craig wrote:I dont think of myself as a star-f'er or the kind who reads People or watches Access Hollywood but i still find it interesting to hear the odd bit of celebrity news. Reference earlier discussions here about how strangers on a radio program can gain an emotional foothold over you, Joe and Jane Consumer. It works that way sometimes and to my surprise news about the faces and voices from entertainment world will sometimes hit me and I realize that maybe I do give a little bit of a shit about people I'd forgotten. Why, I dont know, maybe it's realizing anew that everyone is a person, like i have a bad spell at work and then it means something that Erin whatshername couldn't find work forever and ended up in a trailer. Wow, just like us or something, or maybe worse than us.


One of those 'where are they now?' shows was on a while back and it was cool to see the many people who, once the clock ticked past 15 minutes, were able to understand (or had people close to them who understood) that it was time to hang it up and find real work that was going to get them through the next 30, 40 or 50 years. For many of them, it still was in show business, but on the other side of the camera. Others do completely non-showbiz type stuff ... and seem very happy with it.

I know nothing about Erin Moran or how she got to where she got. Just throwing it out there. It's always seemed to me that the highest highs affect ordinary people just as much as rock bottom, only that a brush with fame can be a horrible bitch if you spend the rest of your life trying to get it back.


Seemed like there was a lot of drugs in her life, still. One news article said that she was kicked out of her trailer park in Indiana for partying too loud.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
User avatar
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: in the plywood district

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby middle aged female » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:32 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Craig wrote:I dont think of myself as a star-f'er or the kind who reads People or watches Access Hollywood but i still find it interesting to hear the odd bit of celebrity news. Reference earlier discussions here about how strangers on a radio program can gain an emotional foothold over you, Joe and Jane Consumer. It works that way sometimes and to my surprise news about the faces and voices from entertainment world will sometimes hit me and I realize that maybe I do give a little bit of a shit about people I'd forgotten. Why, I dont know, maybe it's realizing anew that everyone is a person, like i have a bad spell at work and then it means something that Erin whatshername couldn't find work forever and ended up in a trailer. Wow, just like us or something, or maybe worse than us.


One of those 'where are they now?' shows was on a while back and it was cool to see the many people who, once the clock ticked past 15 minutes, were able to understand (or had people close to them who understood) that it was time to hang it up and find real work that was going to get them through the next 30, 40 or 50 years. For many of them, it still was in show business, but on the other side of the camera. Others do completely non-showbiz type stuff ... and seem very happy with it.

I know nothing about Erin Moran or how she got to where she got. Just throwing it out there. It's always seemed to me that the highest highs affect ordinary people just as much as rock bottom, only that a brush with fame can be a horrible bitch if you spend the rest of your life trying to get it back.

Like the kid that played Charlie in the original Willie Wonka; he's a veterinarian now. One movie and out. Smart kid AND smart parents. A lot of these kids that end up dead or addicted can place at least some of the blame on their parents who a) put them to work for the money and then spent it all so the kid ended up with nothing b) wanted fame themselves so whored their kid out because they didn't make it or c) simply let the kid hang once they were a little older and gave them no decent advice or upbringing.
All of this reminds me of poor Judy Garland who was handed over to the studio system as a child and was fed diet pills to keep her thin and "up" and sleeping pills to make her calm and looked for love in all the wrong places just so she could pretend someone cared.
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby guest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:35 pm

middle aged female wrote:Erin Moran, Chachi's Joanie, gone at 56


It's now reported that she had stage 4 cancer and it likely caused her death. That's rough.

No narcotics were found on scene. I think that if you have stage 4 cancer, some narcotics can be allowed.

here's a transcript of a group interview Valerie Bertinelli did with other former child stars including Moran, McKenzie Phillips, a guy from the Brady Bunch, the Married With Children kid (who I think was in his 20s when he did that show)...
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... oy.01.html
User avatar
guest
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition
 
Posts: 6638
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am
Location: the old windmill

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby pdtpuck » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Jay North, who played the incessantly annoying Dennis the Menace, had his bouts with the common pitfalls of childhood fame (and some batshit crazy family), but finally came out of the other side pretty well intact after being put in touch with a therapist recommended by former co-star Jeannie Russell (Margaret on DtM). He later joined the counseling concern "A Minor Consideration" to help other stars with their own demons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_North
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Petersen#A_Minor_Consideration
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
User avatar
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:38 am
Location: Rocking the fuck out.

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby Morty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 pm

middle aged female wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Craig wrote:I dont think of myself as a star-f'er or the kind who reads People or watches Access Hollywood but i still find it interesting to hear the odd bit of celebrity news. Reference earlier discussions here about how strangers on a radio program can gain an emotional foothold over you, Joe and Jane Consumer. It works that way sometimes and to my surprise news about the faces and voices from entertainment world will sometimes hit me and I realize that maybe I do give a little bit of a shit about people I'd forgotten. Why, I dont know, maybe it's realizing anew that everyone is a person, like i have a bad spell at work and then it means something that Erin whatshername couldn't find work forever and ended up in a trailer. Wow, just like us or something, or maybe worse than us.


One of those 'where are they now?' shows was on a while back and it was cool to see the many people who, once the clock ticked past 15 minutes, were able to understand (or had people close to them who understood) that it was time to hang it up and find real work that was going to get them through the next 30, 40 or 50 years. For many of them, it still was in show business, but on the other side of the camera. Others do completely non-showbiz type stuff ... and seem very happy with it.

I know nothing about Erin Moran or how she got to where she got. Just throwing it out there. It's always seemed to me that the highest highs affect ordinary people just as much as rock bottom, only that a brush with fame can be a horrible bitch if you spend the rest of your life trying to get it back.

Like the kid that played Charlie in the original Willie Wonka; he's a veterinarian now. One movie and out. Smart kid AND smart parents. A lot of these kids that end up dead or addicted can place at least some of the blame on their parents who a) put them to work for the money and then spent it all so the kid ended up with nothing b) wanted fame themselves so whored their kid out because they didn't make it or c) simply let the kid hang once they were a little older and gave them no decent advice or upbringing.
All of this reminds me of poor Judy Garland who was handed over to the studio system as a child and was fed diet pills to keep her thin and "up" and sleeping pills to make her calm and looked for love in all the wrong places just so she could pretend someone cared.


I've met Dr.Peter Ostrum (AKA "Charlie Bucket" from the 1971 movie) a couple of times, and he is one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. His childhood dream was to be a veterinarian, after the movie hit it big studios were knocking at the door with three picture deals, he said "no", and his parents were at peace with that. That one movie appearance paid for his schooling, and enabled his dream. He makes a great speech to young people about pursuing what you want to do in life.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
User avatar
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: in the plywood district

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby Morty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 pm

guest wrote:
middle aged female wrote:Erin Moran, Chachi's Joanie, gone at 56


It's now reported that she had stage 4 cancer and it likely caused her death. That's rough.

No narcotics were found on scene. I think that if you have stage 4 cancer, some narcotics can be allowed.

here's a transcript of a group interview Valerie Bertinelli did with other former child stars including Moran, McKenzie Phillips, a guy from the Brady Bunch, the Married With Children kid (who I think was in his 20s when he did that show)...
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... oy.01.html


I would agree. That is rough.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
User avatar
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: in the plywood district

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Morty wrote:
middle aged female wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:
Craig wrote:I dont think of myself as a star-f'er or the kind who reads People or watches Access Hollywood but i still find it interesting to hear the odd bit of celebrity news. Reference earlier discussions here about how strangers on a radio program can gain an emotional foothold over you, Joe and Jane Consumer. It works that way sometimes and to my surprise news about the faces and voices from entertainment world will sometimes hit me and I realize that maybe I do give a little bit of a shit about people I'd forgotten. Why, I dont know, maybe it's realizing anew that everyone is a person, like i have a bad spell at work and then it means something that Erin whatshername couldn't find work forever and ended up in a trailer. Wow, just like us or something, or maybe worse than us.


One of those 'where are they now?' shows was on a while back and it was cool to see the many people who, once the clock ticked past 15 minutes, were able to understand (or had people close to them who understood) that it was time to hang it up and find real work that was going to get them through the next 30, 40 or 50 years. For many of them, it still was in show business, but on the other side of the camera. Others do completely non-showbiz type stuff ... and seem very happy with it.

I know nothing about Erin Moran or how she got to where she got. Just throwing it out there. It's always seemed to me that the highest highs affect ordinary people just as much as rock bottom, only that a brush with fame can be a horrible bitch if you spend the rest of your life trying to get it back.

Like the kid that played Charlie in the original Willie Wonka; he's a veterinarian now. One movie and out. Smart kid AND smart parents. A lot of these kids that end up dead or addicted can place at least some of the blame on their parents who a) put them to work for the money and then spent it all so the kid ended up with nothing b) wanted fame themselves so whored their kid out because they didn't make it or c) simply let the kid hang once they were a little older and gave them no decent advice or upbringing.
All of this reminds me of poor Judy Garland who was handed over to the studio system as a child and was fed diet pills to keep her thin and "up" and sleeping pills to make her calm and looked for love in all the wrong places just so she could pretend someone cared.


I've met Dr.Peter Ostrum (AKA "Charlie Bucket" from the 1971 movie) a couple of times, and he is one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. His childhood dream was to be a veterinarian, after the movie hit it big studios were knocking at the door with three picture deals, he said "no", and his parents were at peace with that. That one movie appearance paid for his schooling, and enabled his dream. He makes a great speech to young people about pursuing what you want to do in life.


I always enjoy hearing about former athletes who take the money and use it to do something entirely different and useful.

Eric Heiden, the 1980 Olympics speed skater, is now an orthopaedic surgeon.
Amy Chow, one of the 1996 Olympic gymnasts, is a pediatric surgeon today.
Alan Page earned a law degree from Minnesota after his playing career and currently sits on that state's Supreme Court.

And it goes on like that. My father used to be part of a team that screened and interviewed candidates for sales positions at Ford and he said he often found college athletes were among the best organized of the lot (to be sure, he found that people in any discipline that required extreme budgeting of their time were ahead of the pack) and took rather well to learning what they didn't already know when they got into the corporate world.

There are a lot more things for kids to get involved with today (shit, it seems like there now is big money to be made as people watch you play video games ... so there's that) but the old deal seems the same: If they can balance it well with school and friends, it usually ends up being an asset later in life.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
User avatar
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: About $8.25 in tolls from Chicago.

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby The Beav » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:39 pm

pdtpuck wrote:Jay North, who played the incessantly annoying Dennis the Menace, had his bouts with the common pitfalls of childhood fame (and some batshit crazy family), but finally came out of the other side pretty well intact after being put in touch with a therapist recommended by former co-star Jeannie Russell (Margaret on DtM). He later joined the counseling concern "A Minor Consideration" to help other stars with their own demons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_North
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Petersen#A_Minor_Consideration


He was once my avatar a loooooooong time ago.
User avatar
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy
 
Posts: 12399
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Reruns.

Re: Dead Celebrities

Postby pdtpuck » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:08 pm

The Beav wrote:
pdtpuck wrote:Jay North, who played the incessantly annoying Dennis the Menace, had his bouts with the common pitfalls of childhood fame (and some batshit crazy family), but finally came out of the other side pretty well intact after being put in touch with a therapist recommended by former co-star Jeannie Russell (Margaret on DtM). He later joined the counseling concern "A Minor Consideration" to help other stars with their own demons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_North
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Petersen#A_Minor_Consideration


He was once my avatar a loooooooong time ago.

I believe I remember that one! Haha!
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
User avatar
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:38 am
Location: Rocking the fuck out.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron