The DTV Idiot Wind

Some threads may be NSFW

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Woodwards Friend wrote:Here's my compromise. PBS stations delay making the switch.

That would have been a good idea, but our PBS affiliate made the jump early by about a month. No need to go into who has been called an idiot, poor provider, etc. since about early December.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby MICHIGAN » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Caseyc?
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby caseyc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 pm

no...that one isn't stained. That photo is most likely from Cub's garden.
Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:57 pm

I like how the professor is standing on a wire as he visibly admires his clever end-run around The Man.

Postby davecat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Detroit ranks 35th in digital TV readiness
BY MIKE WENDLAND • FREE PRESS TECHNOLOGY COLUMNIST • January 23, 2009

About 7.5 million homes in the United States -- or 5.7% of all homes -- are still not ready for the Feb. 17 transition to digital TV, according to the Nielsen TV survey company. On the list of the 56 top TV markets nationwide, Detroit ranks 35th, with about 4.4% of the homes unprepared.

In Detroit, 83% of all homes are ready, while another 12.4% are partially ready, usually meaning that some of the TVs in the house are set for digital reception. The company doesn't say what actual numbers the percentages represent.

In early December, the Federal Communications Commission said as many as 100,000 people in metro Detroit may be unprepared for the Feb. 17 cutoff of traditional analog broadcasts.

Nielsen released its latest estimate today, as Congress is still stalled over Obama administration calls to postpone the transition until June 16.

Nationwide, those most unprepared are minorities: African Americans (9.9%), Hispanics (9.7%) and Asians (6.9%). Dispelling a common misconception, those homes with people under 35 years of age are more unprepared (8.8%) than those over 55 (4%), according to the survey.

Those who watch TV via cable or satellite or on a TV that has a digital tuner (generally all sets made since 2004), will not be affected by the transition. Those who still need to take action are consumers who watch TV through rabbit ears or outside antennas and do not have a digital converter box.

A government program to provide $40 discount coupons for the boxes ran out of money late last year. The boxes typically sell for between $50 and $100 and are widely available at most major retailers.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090123/B ... +readiness
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat
Hot Fudge Riesling Connoisseur

Postby caseyc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:55 pm

I like Emmett Whalsh's comment....someone should get him to post on HFD. He could be our own Tponetom

I enjoyed your article, but I am not sure if I am ready. I have a 27 inch magnavox television with picture-in-picture. Do you know if I will be ready for when the box is sent to me? I know the tuner on my television works, as I catch the news every morning and evening, and I watch the Tigers every chance I get! I'm not African American or Hispanic, but I am 73 years old (and still kicking up quite a fuss!) and live in Detroit, so I don't know if that helps or hinders. Let me know what you think. I sure will hate to have to spend 50 or 100 dollars to make my TV work right!

Best regards,

Emmett
Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Postby davecat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:00 pm

M. Emmett Walsh lives in Detroit?

Last edited by davecat on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clearly if I had the needs and funding I would surely invest here and become the change Detroit needs.
davecat

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:01 pm

caseyc wrote:I like Emmett Whalsh's comment....someone should get him to post on HFD. He could be our own Tponetom

I enjoyed your article, but I am not sure if I am ready. I have a 27 inch magnavox television with picture-in-picture. Do you know if I will be ready for when the box is sent to me? I know the tuner on my television works, as I catch the news every morning and evening, and I watch the Tigers every chance I get! I'm not African American or Hispanic, but I am 73 years old (and still kicking up quite a fuss!) and live in Detroit, so I don't know if that helps or hinders. Let me know what you think. I sure will hate to have to spend 50 or 100 dollars to make my TV work right!

Best regards,

Emmett

That could have been me writing that, right up to the point where he gave his age.

Postby Shark » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:28 pm

I always confuse M. Emmett Walsh with J.T. Walsh. One is dead. Not sure which one.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby davecat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:34 pm

JT Walsh is dead. There is a 50/50 chance that M Emmett Walsh is also dead.
davecat

Postby Shark » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:48 am

officials said that the high number of households reflected the inclination of Americans to put things off.

“There are so many people who are always waiting until the last minute, whether it is college students doing term papers, or people filing taxes, or people like me who wait until Christmas Eve to do their shopping,” said the commerce secretary, Gary F. Locke, in an interview on Friday.

While applauding the government efforts, he said he was frustrated that the early public service announcements did not provide specific enough information about the problem.

“Earlier on we could have more crisply and clearly indicated who was affected by the switch,” he said. “I’ve been critical of the public service announcements that just say, ‘The switch is coming’ or ‘Are you ready?’ ”

He added: “Too many people don’t know the difference between digital and analog. I didn’t even know myself until a few months ago when my brother-in-law explained it to me.”

The wind will come blowin' in next week. I expect lots of people to go crazy when the gubmint takes away their programs.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Morty » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:18 am

Shark wrote:
officials said that the high number of households reflected the inclination of Americans to put things off.

“There are so many people who are always waiting until the last minute, whether it is college students doing term papers, or people filing taxes, or people like me who wait until Christmas Eve to do their shopping,” said the commerce secretary, Gary F. Locke, in an interview on Friday.

While applauding the government efforts, he said he was frustrated that the early public service announcements did not provide specific enough information about the problem.

“Earlier on we could have more crisply and clearly indicated who was affected by the switch,” he said. “I’ve been critical of the public service announcements that just say, ‘The switch is coming’ or ‘Are you ready?’ ”

He added: “Too many people don’t know the difference between digital and analog. I didn’t even know myself until a few months ago when my brother-in-law explained it to me.”

The wind will come blowin' in next week. I expect lots of people to go crazy when the gubmint takes away their programs.

The geeks at Radio Shack will be having their version of Black Friday after this goes down. At least you don't have to give them your name and address to buy a pack of batteries anymore.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks for bumping the thread: reminds me that I need to replace the analog POS for which I've catching hell.

Anyone want a 27-inch Sanyo doorstop? Need to hit it on the side once in a while.

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:22 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
Anyone want a 27-inch Sanyo doorstop? Need to hit it on the side once in a while.

Add it to the prize list for the 1000 post thread.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Sooooooo, it seems that you still need a converter box even if the set is digital. That was not clear in Morty's PSA.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Discussions