The DTV Idiot Wind

Some threads may be NSFW

The DTV Idiot Wind

Postby Woodwards Friend » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:45 am

Is the DTV thing really that complicated? This shouldn't be this difficult.

According to surveys conducted by the Consumers Union, a consumer advocacy group that also publishes Consumer Reports magazine, while 90 percent of the nation is aware of the transition, 25 percent mistakenly believe that one must subscribe to cable or satellite after February, and 41 percent think that every TV in a house must have a new converter box, even those that are already connected to cable or satellite.

“We need boots on the ground,” said Joel Kelsey, a Consumers Union policy analyst. Mr. Kelsey advocated armies of people, from firefighters to television industry personnel, going into homes and setting up converter boxes for consumers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/22/technology/22digital.html?_r=1

Don't fire fighters have better things to do then helping shut-ins and the elderly set up their tvs to watch the February 18 episode of American Idol? Doesn't this country have more pressing national concerns?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZvP7T3B30
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Ffdfd » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:56 am

If your TV looks like this, I can help. Otherwise, don't call.

Overall, the contract seems to have been written by amateurs.
Ffdfd
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Hold on a sec. I need a new antennae for my TV? What kind of bullshit is that? Here's my model:

Anyone know of free plans for an antennae that I can build? I only have some 2x4s and a few bent coathangers, but I'm willing to stain the boards.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby The Beav » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:25 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Hold on a sec. I need a new antennae for my TV? What kind of bullshit is that? Here's my model:

Anyone know of free plans for an antennae that I can build? I only have some 2x4s and a few bent coathangers, but I'm willing to stain the boards.

With what?
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:59 pm

The Beav wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Hold on a sec. I need a new antennae for my TV? What kind of bullshit is that? Here's my model:

With what?

Not sure. These instructions only say "stain and wax." Now that I think about it the stain and wax industrialists are probably in on this screw-the-working-man-PCPTV conversion scam too. Fuckers.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Woodwards Friend » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:10 pm

The way I do it you usually wax and then stain. There's really no point in waxing if you've already made the stain.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Shark » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:53 pm

I can't WAIT until this transfer happens. They we'll all get to bask in a month long ordeal from the people that were too lazy to figure out about the change. Everyone will blame the federal government and Obama for taking away their TV. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wakes up to a dead TV that day and then whines about it, gets when they deserve for being useless, stupid fucks. (a very, very small number of truly poor people and elderly shut-ins may be afflicted, but hey, shit happens.)
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby jmy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:18 pm

I ordered coupons for all my illiterate neighbors. That Radio Shack on Woodward is going to have a heyday in about six weeks.
My Goodness! What's going on? What's happening?
jmy
Original Hot Fudge Martyr

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:40 pm

jmy wrote:I ordered coupons for all my illiterate neighbors. That Radio Shack on Woodward is going to have a heyday in about six weeks.

And the coupons are taking their sweet time getting here. I ordered them for me and my girlfriend almost a month ago.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Morty » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:52 pm

this is pretty much what they're up against.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby chad sexington » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:57 am

I kinda want to be watching an old tv set when the plug is pulled on standard broadcasting. Will be kind of strange to see things just go to static.
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Woodwards Friend » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 am

chad sexington wrote:I kinda want to be watching an old tv set when the plug is pulled on standard broadcasting. Will be kind of strange to see things just go to static.

It will be like watching the ball drop in Times Square!
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby chad sexington » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 am

Better fill the bathtub up with water and make sure the flashlight has extra batteries!
chad sexington
Not listening to a word

Postby Mulligan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:44 am

I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby Amadeus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Woodwards Friend wrote:
chad sexington wrote:I kinda want to be watching an old tv set when the plug is pulled on standard broadcasting. Will be kind of strange to see things just go to static.

It will be like watching the ball drop in Times Square!

For us old folks, they should play the national anthem right before cutting over to digital.
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Next

Return to Other Discussions