The DTV Idiot Wind

Some threads may be NSFW

Postby The Beav » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Amadeus wrote:
Woodwards Friend wrote:
chad sexington wrote:I kinda want to be watching an old tv set when the plug is pulled on standard broadcasting. Will be kind of strange to see things just go to static.

It will be like watching the ball drop in Times Square!

For us old folks, they should play the national anthem right before cutting over to digital.

Like the old AM radio days, too.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Morty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 pm

I've told Mrs. Morty about the anthem at 2:00 AM and earlier memories of the test pattern in the morning before cartoons came on.
She thinks I'm making this shit up. Goddam kids.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:06 am

Morty wrote:I've told Mrs. Morty about the anthem at 2:00 AM and earlier memories of the test pattern in the morning before cartoons came on.

You and me, both, old man.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:50 pm

The coupons ... actually they're little gift card-like things ... came in the mail today. Might hit Radio Shack tomorrow.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Toolbox » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Morty wrote:I've told Mrs. Morty about the anthem at 2:00 AM and earlier memories of the test pattern in the morning before cartoons came on.

Is she 25 or what??
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Morty » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Toolbox wrote:

Is she 25 or what??

Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby fyfe » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:40 pm

i wasn't allowed to stay up late enough to watch the anthem before the tv went off... but i remember trying to turn on the tv to watch cartoons while the house was sleeping and that damn testing squeal waking everyone up and ratting me out.
fyfe
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby guest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Toolbox wrote:

Is she 25 or what??

CBC still plays the anthem, but Oh Canada is a better song than ours anyway. It's accompanied by visuals of your standard Canadian cliches: RCMP's, cute Inuit children, what have you. I still laugh every time they show the guy scraping ice from his windshield.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:45 pm

TV converter coupon program out of cash

USA Today

The government's $1.34 billion coupon program for digital converter boxes ran out of money on Sunday.

Anybody requesting a $40 coupon to offset the cost of buying a converter box for digital TV now will be placed on a waiting list, says Meredith Baker, acting head of the Commerce Department's National Telecommunications and Information Administration.

How long will people have to wait? "I don't know," Baker told reporters on a conference call Monday. Already, 103,000 people are on the list. Baker attributed the cash shortfall, in part, to a late surge in coupon requests.

Lawmakers are working on a plan that would allow NTIA to start re-issuing coupons that have been sent to consumers but not redeemed. NTIA currently waits for coupons to expire — that takes 90 days — before reissuing them. The average redemption rate is just 52% now, so such a change could free up millions of dollars.

The U.S. is set to become an all-digital TV market on Feb. 17. When the switch happens, more than 70 million TVs that use an antenna to receive over-the-air signals will need help. To maintain TV reception, consumers must install a converter box that turns digital signals into analog. Cable and satellite TV customers aren't affected. As of Dec. 31, almost 45 million coupons had been requested, about 18 million redeemed.

You can log on to www.dtv2009.gov to sign up for the waiting list.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090106/BUSINESS/90106024
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Woodwards Friend » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:

USA Today

The government's $1.34 billion coupon program for digital converter boxes ran out of money on Sunday.

Anybody requesting a $40 coupon to offset the cost of buying a converter box for digital TV now will be placed on a waiting list, says Meredith Baker, acting head of the Commerce Department's National Telecommunications and Information Administration.

How long will people have to wait? "I don't know," Baker told reporters on a conference call Monday. Already, 103,000 people are on the list. Baker attributed the cash shortfall, in part, to a late surge in coupon requests.

Lawmakers are working on a plan that would allow NTIA to start re-issuing coupons that have been sent to consumers but not redeemed. NTIA currently waits for coupons to expire — that takes 90 days — before reissuing them. The average redemption rate is just 52% now, so such a change could free up millions of dollars.

The U.S. is set to become an all-digital TV market on Feb. 17. When the switch happens, more than 70 million TVs that use an antenna to receive over-the-air signals will need help. To maintain TV reception, consumers must install a converter box that turns digital signals into analog. Cable and satellite TV customers aren't affected. As of Dec. 31, almost 45 million coupons had been requested, about 18 million redeemed.

Seriously, these fucking people can't even redeem a coupon?
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Woodwards Friend wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:

USA Today

Seriously, these fucking people can't even redeem a coupon?

Remember the PSA posted earlier? They probably died.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Shark » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Obama recommends delay in Digital TV switch

Oh, hell no.

I swear we have become a nation full of dimwits who whine about every little change that might interfere with the daily routine of stupidity. Coupon expired? Tough shit. Don't have 40 bucks to buy a converter? Tough shit. Modern life is too complex for you to figure out? Tough shit.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Shark » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Detroit Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr. is calling on federal officials to postpone the scheduled Feb. 17 change that moves broadcast television channels to a digital format that requires viewers without cable, satellite or other television service to obtain a special box to receive a signal.

Cockrel, in a letter to Michael Copps, a Federal Communications Commissioner who was in Detroit today, said despite a massive outreach effort to get boxes in the hands of those who still use a television antenna to receive a signal, too many would be left with no television service when the changover occurs. Cockrel said seniors, the poor and first-generation immigrants especially would be hit.

“The City of Detroit is overrepresented in terms of these vulnerable groups, and moreover, has a lower overall subscription rate for cable and satellite services than the national average,” Cockrel wrote in the letter. “It is onerous and inexcusable for the federal government to institue a discretionary, regulatory change that will regress millions of households back to 1949, when radio was the primary means of getting news and entertainment broadcasts."

Then since all the poor Detroiters have been getting free, over-the-air television for decades, and preseumably have been hearing about the change over to digital for years, there is no reason to think that the majority of them didn't request their coupons in a timely manner and/or saved up the 40 bucks to get a converter box. Right?
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Beav » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Shark wrote:
Detroit Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr. is calling on federal officials to postpone the scheduled Feb. 17 change that moves broadcast television channels to a digital format that requires viewers without cable, satellite or other television service to obtain a special box to receive a signal.

Cockrel, in a letter to Michael Copps, a Federal Communications Commissioner who was in Detroit today, said despite a massive outreach effort to get boxes in the hands of those who still use a television antenna to receive a signal, too many would be left with no television service when the changover occurs. Cockrel said seniors, the poor and first-generation immigrants especially would be hit.

“The City of Detroit is overrepresented in terms of these vulnerable groups, and moreover, has a lower overall subscription rate for cable and satellite services than the national average,” Cockrel wrote in the letter. “It is onerous and inexcusable for the federal government to institue a discretionary, regulatory change that will regress millions of households back to 1949, when radio was the primary means of getting news and entertainment broadcasts."

Then since all the poor Detroiters have been getting free, over-the-air television for decades, and preseumably have been hearing about the change over to digital for years, there is no reason to think that the majority of them didn't request their coupons in a timely manner and/or saved up the 40 bucks to get a converter box. Right?

Most of the houses have satellite dishes anyways.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Woodwards Friend » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:01 pm

Here's my compromise. PBS stations delay making the switch. That way these seniors, the poor, and first generation immigrants will still have their tv for news and emergancy broadcast alerts while the remainder of the broadcast spectrum can make the switch on time. After all, the federal government isn't spending all this money and effort to ensure seniors, the poor, and first generation immigrants (who probably don't have decent health care) can still watch American Idol and NCIS. Are they?
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Other Discussions