Thermostat Setting

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: Thermostat Setting

Postby middle aged female » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:52 am

Toolbox wrote:
Morty wrote:Update: AC unit kicking ass, doing a fine job.

Ours was installed yesterday... House never had it... Will make it way more saleable.

Did you add it to forced air or did you go with that Mitsubishi type system?
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Toolbox » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:17 pm

middle aged female wrote:
Toolbox wrote:
Morty wrote:Update: AC unit kicking ass, doing a fine job.

Ours was installed yesterday... House never had it... Will make it way more saleable.

Did you add it to forced air or did you go with that Mitsubishi type system?

Added to the newer HE furnace. I had a cased coil installed when the furnace went in a few years ago, that made the install a lot quicker.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby pdtpuck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Not set on anything right now.
Windows open.
God, I love early fall.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby middle aged female » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:10 pm

pdtpuck wrote:Not set on anything right now.
Windows open.
God, I love early fall.

Here too; air and heat off. Windows open, ceiling fans on
middle aged female

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:36 pm

It's awful pleasant out this way, too. Windows open since the rain stopped Saturday morning.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby MICHIGAN » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:07 am

Damn, it's cold outside!
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby middle aged female » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:27 am

MICHIGAN wrote:Damn, it's cold outside!

I beat you by a day
middle aged female

Postby Doctor Detroit » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:24 pm

Haven't broken down on the heat yet.

Threw some logs in the fireplace last night. I hear that just makes the rest of the house colder, though.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby Amadeus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:26 am

Standing strong here on the eastside.

No heat until Halloween!
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby caseyc » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:55 am

Are you kidding? It's been a struggle here not to turn on the AC. Heat hasn't been on since the early spring.

I still haven't worn long pants to work yet (and this is someone who either bikes or scooters to the office).

86 today. Looking forward to Fall at some point (tomorrow?)
Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Postby guest » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Here at Casa d'Guest it starts with closing the windows a week or so ago. The boiler went on this morning. Feels good.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Toolbox » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:55 am

guest wrote:Here at Casa d'Guest it starts with closing the windows a week or so ago. The boiler went on this morning. Feels good.

Now that the boiler is operating you will need to open the windows.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:05 am

Our furnace is still off, but not for lack of trying: yesterday morning I was rousted from bed with a litany of bitching from the wife about how the furnace was on but blowing only cold air and I'm just a big dumbass for having a crappy furnace and a thermostat that doesn't do anything. Whew, and good morning to you, honey.

Most of, us, probably, grew up in post-war housing where the thermostat was some kind of simple thermocouple where one spun a dial to raise and lower the point at which the furnace would switch on and off. Easy peasy, as the kids say. But this easy-as-pie solution wasn't good enough and the programable shit arrived and was strongly recommended by energy-efficiency snobs who'd give you a look of deep concern if said that you didn't have time to read a bunch of instructions and then program a small panel. Well, if the dial is 1.0 and programable is 2.0 I'm at 3.0 with a solution sold to me by the hardware store when 2.0 fritzed out, and this is the source of my problem. I installed and programmed this bastard maybe five or eight years ago and once it gets good and cold the climate decisions that I made in the last Bush administration kick in. I'm not sure exactly what I did back then: it keeps the house toasty during winter but the trouble is that it is slow to start around this time of year when you feel, yeah, some heat would be nice about now. Every fall I get bitched at, and the obvious solution is to dig out the instructions (where in the hell are they?) but these are so long and complicated that I actually have to find my reading glasses, pull up a chair in front of the panel, and then puzzle things out like a Neandertal trying to crack the code on fire. That's a pretty good parralel, because I too just want some heat (actually I'm fine with the temporary chill; what I really want is for the wife to shut up and if that means heat then so be it) and both of us -early man and homo grand blancis- have too much slope in the frontal cranium to possess the smarts to get things goddamn jumpstarted.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby middle aged female » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:38 am

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:Our furnace is still off, but not for lack of trying: yesterday morning I was rousted from bed with a litany of bitching from the wife about how the furnace was on but blowing only cold air and I'm just a big dumbass for having a crappy furnace and a thermostat that doesn't do anything. Whew, and good morning to you, honey.

Most of, us, probably, grew up in post-war housing where the thermostat was some kind of simple thermocouple where one spun a dial to raise and lower the point at which the furnace would switch on and off. Easy peasy, as the kids say. But this easy-as-pie solution wasn't good enough and the programable shit arrived and was strongly recommended by energy-efficiency snobs who'd give you a look of deep concern if said that you didn't have time to read a bunch of instructions and then program a small panel. Well, if the dial is 1.0 and programable is 2.0 I'm at 3.0 with a solution sold to me by the hardware store when 2.0 fritzed out, and this is the source of my problem. I installed and programmed this bastard maybe five or eight years ago and once it gets good and cold the climate decisions that I made in the last Bush administration kick in. I'm not sure exactly what I did back then: it keeps the house toasty during winter but the trouble is that it is slow to start around this time of year when you feel, yeah, some heat would be nice about now. Every fall I get bitched at, and the obvious solution is to dig out the instructions (where in the hell are they?) but these are so long and complicated that I actually have to find my reading glasses, pull up a chair in front of the panel, and then puzzle things out like a Neandertal trying to crack the code on fire. That's a pretty good parralel, because I too just want some heat (actually I'm fine with the temporary chill; what I really want is for the wife to shut up and if that means heat then so be it) and both of us -early man and homo grand blancis- have too much slope in the frontal cranium to possess the smarts to get things goddamn jumpstarted.

I have a Honeywell programmable thermo, adn I hate the mother fucking thing. Every fall it forgets the settings for heat and every spring it forgets the settings for cool. I end up going through all the "zones" and setting them for the same damn temps. The problem comes in on the weekend "zones" because the assholes at Honeywell seem to think that those aren't as important as the weekdays and make them damned near impossible to get at so I have to wait until I'm actually in said "zone" and then raise the temp and "hold" it. Hold THIS, you bastards.
middle aged female

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:57 am

^I'm sure that for the engineers at Honeywell or wherever there's nothing to them: push this buttom, scroll through a menu, select this option nested within this item, set temp, set time, set day, etc. Fourteen easy steps to get the mo-fo to come on at 6AM and bring the temp up to a level that supports human life. But how many times in life does the average person program one of these? Certainly not often enough for the process to be intuitive, and so this becomes an ordeal on the same scale as my mother setting up an Excel spreadsheet with conditional formatting and nested functions. I'd never ask my mother to do any of that: I'd do it myself or I'd write macros plainly labeled so that she can organize her garden or keep her Christmas card records straight. I just wish that the good folk jacking us around with thermostats would do the same.
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

PreviousNext

Return to Other Discussions