HFD Political Dork Superthread

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: HFD Political Dork Superthread

Postby Amadeus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:11 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Not pretending to know too much about this, but wouldn't the EpiPen argle bargle be nonexistent if the FDA could negotiate prices of prescription medication?

Central planning and price-fixing doesn't work. We can thank the Soviet Union and other command-economies for proving that over and over again.

The better option would be for the FDA to quit playing crony-capitalism and blocking EpiPen alternatives from the market.

http://www.fiercepharma.com/sales-and-m ... se-control

http://www.fiercepharma.com/marketing/s ... its-a-snag
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:06 pm

It's nice to see the NBA, NCAA and ACC pull their events from North Carolina in response to its dumb "ladyboys in bathrooms" bill, but what really surprises me is the way the state's GOP keeps doubling, even tripling, down on it. It's a stupid solution in search of a problem. The Republicans there better hope there's enough morons in the state to keep them in office ... which is entirely possible despite North Carolina allegedly being the 'smart' Carolina.

Speaking of morons, Clinton was spot-on with the 'basket of deplorables' crack. Everyone knows, however, that the easiest way to embolden an idiot is to remind him he's an idiot.
The best-case scenario, I fear, is Hillary getting elected president with roughly the same Congress (with a possible slight Dem majority in the Senate). And if you thought the GOP leadership was childish when it came to dealing with the black president, wait until it's a woman president.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Way back when, I was an impressionable pup and developed a brief fascination with the Kennedy assassination.
It just seemed so interesting to 18-year-old me. The fake Oswalds, the mafia's hatred of Bobby Kennedy, the need for the military-industrial complex to keep itself in business, and on and on. How could all of this not make sense?
But we get older and we realize that people talk, a lot and about things that we often wish they'd never talk about. Keeping a secret as large as the murder of a head of state during a coup d'etat is, in my mind, a sheer impossibility. The same holds true for the moon landing or the Lindbergh kidnapping or whatever else you've got.
I read and saw enough to reason that Oswald was a good enough shot to pull off the killing by himself and that conspiracy theories, generally, are comfort to those who fear the prospect of acknowledging that existing on this planet is a terribly random exercise (or those theories support their worldview, as seems to be the case with the sick fucks who insist Sandy Hook was a put-on and harass the parents of murdered children). Things just happen and you can file a failed man seeking fame and validation by killing the president into that folder.

I'm more than 25 years removed from connecting imaginary dots to convince myself that nefarious characters behind the curtains are pulling strings to make all sorts of bad things happen, so tell me why I'm growing more and more convinced that Russia not only influenced the last presidential election (with assistance from Julian Assange) but has used Trump as a vessel to launder money and gain an ally who won't interfere with future plots to destabilize democratic governments in NATO, namely those in France and Germany?

I'm stealing a line from Hoog: Tell me I'm not crazy.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Amadeus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:39 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Way back when, I was an impressionable pup and developed a brief fascination with the Kennedy assassination.
It just seemed so interesting to 18-year-old me. The fake Oswalds, the mafia's hatred of Bobby Kennedy, the need for the military-industrial complex to keep itself in business, and on and on. How could all of this not make sense?
But we get older and we realize that people talk, a lot and about things that we often wish they'd never talk about. Keeping a secret as large as the murder of a head of state during a coup d'etat is, in my mind, a sheer impossibility. The same holds true for the moon landing or the Lindbergh kidnapping or whatever else you've got.
I read and saw enough to reason that Oswald was a good enough shot to pull off the killing by himself and that conspiracy theories, generally, are comfort to those who fear the prospect of acknowledging that existing on this planet is a terribly random exercise (or those theories support their worldview, as seems to be the case with the sick fucks who insist Sandy Hook was a put-on and harass the parents of murdered children). Things just happen and you can file a failed man seeking fame and validation by killing the president into that folder.

I'm more than 25 years removed from connecting imaginary dots to convince myself that nefarious characters behind the curtains are pulling strings to make all sorts of bad things happen, so tell me why I'm growing more and more convinced that Russia not only influenced the last presidential election (with assistance from Julian Assange) but has used Trump as a vessel to launder money and gain an ally who won't interfere with future plots to destabilize democratic governments in NATO, namely those in France and Germany?

I'm stealing a line from Hoog: Tell me I'm not crazy.

You mean the way the US has been dicking around in other countries' elections for decades?
“We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Phil Jones, 2005
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Amadeus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:25 pm

The other thing to consider is that just maybe the Trump/Putin connection is the same as the Obama/Muslim connection.

Both are the figment of the fevered imaginations.
Amadeus
Hot Fudge Humanitarian

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 pm

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_apr12

The president's approval ratings are trending upward and I find this to be spooky, but not because I voted for the other guy or because I don't like him myself. Rather, international events of an unprecedented sort have been popping off all over and it's clear to me that these two circumstances are related. External threats or perceptions of external threats drive up presidential approval. It's known as the rally-to-the-flag effect and you can about set your watch by it if you see this part of the world as a big equation and events as data. Will there be war? Of course, history demonstrates that wars are inevitable, but what happens today or in the short-run is not necessarily foreordained. And I know that we won't ever have a public vote over whether or not to war, but it's skeeving me out that a growing segment of the public perceives international threat as evidenced by poll results. If nothing else there is growing public anxiety and, well, it's making me a little anxious, too.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Toolbox » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:57 am

What a shit show...

Macomb Co. clerk has aide call 911: Reporters harassing me

...Ryan called 911 twice, the first time from the sixth floor of the administration building; the second time — a short time later — to report that she managed to get Spranger to her car. Both times, Ryan said Spranger wasn't feeling well and the news media was harassing her. In her first 911 call, Ryan said she asked the media to leave and they refused.

Deputies met with Ryan and Spranger in the parking structure next to the administration building. Ryan said Spranger was not feeling well and that a Channel 4 News reporter “continued to ask Karen for comments about an ongoing news story," according to the complaint.

No reporters were around when deputies arrived, it states.

“Karen said she felt harassed and wanted the reporters to stop asking her questions,” the complaint states, adding that the deputies explained to both Ryan and Spranger “that the press is within their constitutional rights to be on the premises of a public building and request comments from public employees.”...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... 100572322/
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Previous

Return to Other Discussions