Miscellaneous TV thread

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: Miscellaneous TV thread

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Did anyone watch Louis CK last night on SNL?

The clown for the 53-year-old's birthday bit was pretty rich ... until the last line.
I also thought the eyelash skit was pretty good.

Looking forward to his Netflix special.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby MICHIGAN » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:34 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Did anyone watch Louis CK last night on SNL?

The clown for the 53-year-old's birthday bit was pretty rich ... until the last line.
I also thought the eyelash skit was pretty good.

Looking forward to his Netflix special.

The special is very funny
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby The Beav » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Morty wrote:
MICHIGAN wrote:Anyone watching Detroiters?

Yeah, just to see local landmarks. Just watched the episode where the father is out of the nuthouse for a while (Marygrove College is used as the hospital) and found the writing on that episode to be more up to par.

Not sure how many people who don't know Detroit get most of the jokes. The cousin of a friend from U-M played the guy who owned the brewery.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:51 pm

21st Century Fox just made the least-surprising personnel announcement ever: Bill O'Reilly is finished on its airwaves and likely any other network's.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Beav » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:13 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:21st Century Fox just made the least-surprising personnel announcement ever: Bill O'Reilly is finished on its airwaves and likely any other network's.

His severance will be worth more money than I will make in my lifetime.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 pm

The Beav wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:21st Century Fox just made the least-surprising personnel announcement ever: Bill O'Reilly is finished on its airwaves and likely any other network's.

His severance will be worth more money than I will make in my lifetime.

On the bright side, you'll (and your employer) probably never give back what O'Reilly has in sorry-I-got-all-skeevy hush money.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 pm

As you might have seen, ESPN laid off a lot of behind- and front-of-the-camera folks this week. It's still very profitable, but the weight of huge rights-fee contracts with the NFL and NBA are becoming huge burdens as more and more consumers eschew traditional cable service (ESPN has lost about 10 million subscribers in about three years ... which, really, is the marketplace responding to greater consumer choice. Someone who doesn't watch sports, ever, shouldn't be paying part of the freight for someone who watches nothing but ESPN).

It looks like they're going to farm out baseball to the MLB network and great scale back the content on their website. Hockey? Forget about it.
College sports also seem likely to get a bland, I-guess-we-have-to-do-this treatment, which sucks because I thought that was one of the areas they did best.

Two things:
- Most every day of summers of 1987-89 ended across the street at my neighbor's house to watch the evening SportsCenter to see who homered, etc. College mornings didn't begin until I'd seen the first 10 minutes or so of the morning SportsCenter and the day usually ended with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann doing the evening SportsCenter. It's just what you did.
All that stuff, the highlights, scores and what-have-you, are on Twitter now, just as they happen. SportsCenter now seems like a variety show with precious little stuff I actually want to know (that said, I also am far removed from the viewers ESPN is hoping to reach).

- I'm interested to see what cable-cutting does to regional sports networks like FSD. Teams like the Tigers and Wings get a ton of revenue each year from their FSD contracts, but its going to get harder and harder for the networks to justify the expense as they lose eyeballs. Ad revenue does not translate very well to the internet, as newspapers learned the hard way. If this ends up meaning a fee-based system, fine by me. I'll pay it because it's valuable to me. But the FSDs of the world rely on one-size-fits-all cable packaging ... going to be interesting to see what happens the next time those contracts go up.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Craig » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 am

The interweb, mobile tech, and no-cost information are giant killers. Like SA said: just ask what's left of the papers and the occupants of the fuhrer bunkers that are the HQs of major retailers. Zero-cost information has knocked out the legs on a lot of revenue stools, like Craigslist eating up the classified and display ads that used to appear in anything printed on paper. And TV has been taking it in the ass, too. Ironic that TV is dying because the product is better than ever, but as the old hippy running my local record store used to as they were hurtling toward implosion: " I can find a way to compete with the internet but I cannot compete with free." For shizzle.

Sports TV is only experiencing the front end of its death: worse will come as more and more fans find ways to sidestep subscription fees. And as this trend grows the TV rights for the leagues will become less and less valuable meaning that eventually the cash cow of broadcast rights becomes like our once-monthly grocery visit where the empty cans are returned for a nice little but objectively meaningless windfall. I'm a fan of nothing so maybe this is why I like the thought of pro athlete salaries falling to match the diminished revenue generated by the teams. Pro athletes needing to take off-season jobs? Ha., I love it.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Morty » Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Mrs. Morty and I started watching "the Keepers" on Netflix last night. WOW. Just wow. To think that Priests held that much power then is frightening, and this is one of the worst cases out there. Really makes me look at Roman Catholicism differently. I didn't grow up in that church, my mother did, and swore it off when she married my father (a protestant), I have aunts, uncles, cousins who all came up in that church and I'm sure their experience was vastly different than what we see in a documentary like this, or a movie like "Spotlight".
The whole vow of celibacy thing never really works, and when it does the father was asexual anyhow.
What a way to run a railroad.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Craig » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:52 am

Callers trolling a community access cable show hosted by a community activist. I've been laughing so hard that I believe that I am on the verge of having a stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPr7Tu27-4&t=280s
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Previous

Return to Other Discussions