HFD movies that don't suck

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: HFD movies that don't suck

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Saw "Truth," which dissects the CBS News fiasco in 2004 over alleged documents showing W. went AWOL from the Texas Air National Guard in the early 70s.

About 30 minutes too long, but Robert Redford (as Dan Rather) and Cate Blanchett were excellent. I dare say Blanchett is turning into Meryl Streep 2.0 ... just put her in a movie once a year and they're going to nominate her for an Oscar.
Going out of town this weekend, so prolly won't catch "Spectre" for another week or so.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Caught our first rainy day in a week here in Malta, so we walked to town and saw "Rogue One."
Excellent story and characters, with just enough asides to give every Star Wars fanboy a lightsaber-sized boner. I'd see it again.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby Craig » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:21 am

American Honey. Caught it at the local art house last night. Be prepared for a nearly three-hour sit but by and large it's time well-spent. Briefly it's a combination of on-the-road and coming of age flicks where you follow a pack of dirtbag millenials who make up a door to door magazine sellers. They probably could have done this in two hours but the extra 45 minutes gives the show the depth necessary to include luxurious detail that just isnt found in the typical 90-minute Hollywood fling.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Craig » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 pm

The Front Page, 1931 version. Through the magic of YouTube and a generous data plan for my work smartphone I got this one up yesterday. I'd last seen it on TV when Nixon was president. Honestly, I laughed my ass off, as in pause and rewind to hear what I'd laughed over. Screwball, pre-code comedy about newspaper men. Melodramatic in some spots, but still it holds up.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby middle aged female » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Craig wrote:The Front Page, 1931 version. Through the magic of YouTube and a generous data plan for my work smartphone I got this one up yesterday. I'd last seen it on TV when Nixon was president. Honestly, I laughed my ass off, as in pause and rewind to hear what I'd laughed over. Screwball, pre-code comedy about newspaper men. Melodramatic in some spots, but still it holds up.

I love the Walter Matthau/Carol Burnett version from the 60's or early 70's, too. She's amazing in it
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver

Postby Morty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Anyone here see "Get out" yet?
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular

Previous

Return to Other Discussions