Hot Fudge Music

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: Hot Fudge Music

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer. The band announced this morning they'll do one final tour ... I hope they come to Chicago.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Tue May 24, 2016 4:42 pm

The Suburban Avenger wrote:Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer. The band announced this morning they'll do one final tour ... I hope they come to Chicago.

Courage is a top-50 song for me. Very surprising that it is, given what makes up the rest of the list.

frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Exciteable » Tue May 24, 2016 5:19 pm

frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
The Suburban Avenger wrote:Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer. The band announced this morning they'll do one final tour ... I hope they come to Chicago.

Courage is a top-50 song for me. Very surprising that it is, given what makes up the rest of the list.

Spending a lot of time in the northern UP in the late eighties summers, about all you could get for decent FM radio was stations out of Thunder Bay, Ontario. 94.3 was very popular amongst us 20 something drunks that were taking a much needed summer break from college. Work a little, drink a lot. Along with a lot of other great Canadian rock & roll, I was introduced to The Hip. Never had a chance to see them live, might have to be sure to do it now.
This was always a favorite, along with the whole album. (Up To Here). Brings back the memories.
It's not as easy as it used to be finding time to let my mind wander.
Exciteable
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Valpo is rolling out a new capital campaign during its homecoming festivities in September and got the Barenaked Ladies to perform.

Brunette 1.0 has to be seen the entire weekend, which means I have to be there, too.

Brunette 1.0 owes me one.
My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Ghost (formerly known as Ghost B.C.) released their new EP, Popestar. As with the If You Have Ghost EP, some very interesting cover choices;
Track listing
1. "Square Hammer" (Ghost original)
2. "Nocturnal Me" (Echo & the Bunnymen cover)
3. "I Believe" (Simian Mobile Disco cover)
4. "Missionary Man" (Eurythmics cover)
5. "Bible" (Imperiet cover)
Seeing them for the third time on the 28th of this month. I've discovered there's no in between with this band...people either love 'em or hate 'em.
"Microbiology is going to kill me."
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby Mulligan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:07 am

I have been listening to a variety of Paul McCartney songs ... Beatles, Wings, solo, etc. Based on his voice, writing, ability to play a variety of instruments well, he has to be the finest musician of our lifetime. Is anyone else in the running?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:01 am

After being an Iron Maiden fan since "Piece of Mind (1983)," I FINALLY got to see them last Thursday. What a phenomenal show. Why I waited so long is beyond me. Bruce Dickinson is truly a "man about town (stage)," as he will be 59 this August and moves like my spastic 8 year old. And they all seemed to be enjoying the hell out of playing, which is probably why they're still out there, 40 years on, because if they were doing it just for the money they would have phoned it in. Highly recommended (but if you're a fan, you've probably already seen them a long time ago, which is what I should've done).
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby Craig » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Mulligan wrote:I have been listening to a variety of Paul McCartney songs ... Beatles, Wings, solo, etc. Based on his voice, writing, ability to play a variety of instruments well, he has to be the finest musician of our lifetime. Is anyone else in also running?

With Wings McCartney had a string of very good -some almost deep- pop songs and for that I don't write him off as irrelevant to my life's soundtrack.

McCartney as musical renaissance man? Yeah, again I agree, but there were others in our lifetime. Michael Jackson was a freak and probably a child molester but he appeared to have rare genius in that he heard, and he imagined things that others could not. Also Marvin Gaye, but I don't know if was actually a musician. Smokey Robinson hit all three of Mulligan's trifecta of talent; he's outlived his productive years, but judging from what little I've heard of McC lately I think the same of him (sorry, Mulligan). And the Isaac Hayes (now dead?).

White guys: Steve Cropper. Joe Walsh, but he loses a couple points because he's been the Spike Jones of his generation.

Hands downs THE talent was and is Ray Davies. As a writer and storyteller he. Is great. He plays and composes. And his latest work... just listening to it now for the first time and its peppered with rock, rhythm, stories, and imagination... just what I want a rock artist.
Soon I discovered that this rock-thing was true...
Craig
Hot Fudge Regular

Location: Where you're from is gone, where you thought you were going war'nt never there

Postby Putski » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 pm

pdtpuck wrote:After being an Iron Maiden fan since "Piece of Mind (1983)," I FINALLY got to see them last Thursday. What a phenomenal show. Why I waited so long is beyond me. Bruce Dickinson is truly a "man about town (stage)," as he will be 59 this August and moves like my spastic 8 year old. And they all seemed to be enjoying the hell out of playing, which is probably why they're still out there, 40 years on, because if they were doing it just for the money they would have phoned it in. Highly recommended (but if you're a fan, you've probably already seen them a long time ago, which is what I should've done).

Saw them in 1987 and 1988 then again last year. Pretty interesting story that band and really the best of the genre.

And then there is this at Harpos on Thursday...

Visionary Extrepreneur and Investor
Putski
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Putski wrote:
pdtpuck wrote:After being an Iron Maiden fan since "Piece of Mind (1983)," I FINALLY got to see them last Thursday. What a phenomenal show. Why I waited so long is beyond me. Bruce Dickinson is truly a "man about town (stage)," as he will be 59 this August and moves like my spastic 8 year old. And they all seemed to be enjoying the hell out of playing, which is probably why they're still out there, 40 years on, because if they were doing it just for the money they would have phoned it in. Highly recommended (but if you're a fan, you've probably already seen them a long time ago, which is what I should've done).

Saw them in 1987 and 1988 then again last year. Pretty interesting story that band and really the best of the genre.

And then there is this at Harpos on Thursday...

One of the Iron Maiden's was married to Meshuggah's drummer for a while.

Soooo many bands owe their existence to Iron Maiden. I'm just glad I got to see them, and aside from death, it's ALL the "classic" lineup. I used to think keeping Janick was superfluous, but seeing them live made me see (hear) why they kept him around. Leaves Murray and Smith free to double-lead their arses off.
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:06 am

Mulligan wrote:I have been listening to a variety of Paul McCartney songs ... Beatles, Wings, solo, etc. Based on his voice, writing, ability to play a variety of instruments well, he has to be the finest musician of our lifetime. Is anyone else in the running?

Stevie Wonder ... and he wins the vote in my book because he found his way into and stayed in the limelight much longer than McCartney (or Robinson, who's also a very good suggestion).

Gordy signed him at 11 and his fingerprints are all over some of the greatest Motown songs: "Tears of a Clown" and "It's a Shame" were given to other artists while his early 70s run churned out some of the greatest R&B albums ever. Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness First Finale and Songs in the Key of Life all are terrific showcases for his talents, which included mastery of the electric organ, drums, harmonica and clavinet. Until about 1978, he literally shit gold records. Ironically, one of his Grammys was for a cover of "We Can Work it Out."

Sure, he folded up and went pop later in his life (as McCartney did) and more power to him. We all know the words to many of the songs from his commercial period, but for about six years, Stevie Wonder was the best there ever was and no single artist (perhaps Jay Z, but we're talking different genres here) ever came close to matching him.

One thing about Paul McCartney, though, is his voice. It is reassuring, fun and suave all at the same time. "For No One" is a wrist-slitter of a song, but he makes it sound almost hopeful. That's pretty awesome.
The Suburban Avenger

Postby Doctor Detroit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:03 pm

I don't have much to add but to say I love Paul, RAM is one of my favorite complete albums.

Not least of all for this maniacal sounding tune:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President

Postby The Beav » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:I don't have much to add but to say I love Paul, RAM is one of my favorite complete albums.

Not least of all for this maniacal sounding tune:

One of the first LP's I ever owned. Bought it at a neighbor's garage sale along with A Hard Day's Night. I still have it in the record crate.
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy

Postby Toolbox » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Saw the Clutch/Primus show at Freedom Hill last week. There were a ton of really old stoner folks there, lots of twirling dancers. If Yamar was there he might think he was at a dead show.

Eric Oblander from Five Horse Johnson played harmonica for a few of the Clutch songs.

Glad I was side stage for most of that mess.
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby pdtpuck » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 am

Sam Dunn, the excellent filmmaker behind the Rush documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage and the Iron Maiden Flight 666 and a host of other great music films, is behind an upcoming movie about The Tragically Hip. Should be good one.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3568127/tragically-hip-documentary-long-time-running-trailer/
pdtpuck
HFD NHL Beat Reporter

Previous

Return to Other Discussions