YouTube Hall of Fame

Some threads may be NSFW

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby higgs1634 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 pm

D-Day wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:

NSFW for language

I can't believe this butterball PX Warrior survived this encounter without a serious ass whipping..........The amount of disrespect here is astonishing

And apparently, dude was seen again, this time wearing the patch ensemble (including the Ranger tab) on his right shoulder and the flag upside down and was confronted again resulting in a vet being arrested.. So a bit of clarity, here. First, wearing that flag patch upside down is tantamount to burning it when worn on a uniform. Second unit patches are represented following way (at least when I was in)...I can't imagine it has changed. Current unit and any award tabs (Ranger , Special Forces) worn on the left shoulder. Last unit served in combat on the right, so wearing anything on the right shoulder is also the highest amount of disrespect. These are big fucking deals to anyone who served. The uniform is a big fucking deal.....

I had a situation similar to this in college. Good friend of mine was an E-4 MP in the Reserves and I was an E-5 in the Reserves. We're in Dooley's in East Lansing and MP sees a couple Guardsmen in fatigues and wearing their headgear inside.....Uniform 101 no-no on two levels a.) You're really not supposed to be in the bar in fatigues on a Friday night b.) If you're inside, the hat comes off unless you're under arms. So MP goes down there to tell them to get in uniform or get out and they proceed to tell him to fuck off. Because I still held NCO rank and had my ID card (which is supposed to be in your possession 24-7-365), MP comes back and gets me and I go to the table and plop down the ID card. I ask dudes if they're illegally in possession of a weapon in an establishment that serves alcohol and they tells me no, so I go into the low SGT voice and tell them that need not be disrespecting myself and MP by showing up out of uniform and to un-fucking-cover. Then I notice one of them has a set of (pin on) jump wings (another no-no -- once a paratrooper always a paratrooper so you get those puppies sewn on first chance you get...like before you leave Fort Benning) so I ask what his five points of contact are. When he looks at me funny, I tell him he's no paratroop (it's been thirty years since I went to jump school and I can still you what these five points are), and now you just need to straight up get the fuck out before I get angry, start checking IDs, and figure out how to contact your CO....and they left

I can't believe this Ranger didn't rip that fucker to shreds


Kind of related...

My little guy, the Marine reservist, is sort of an airhead when it comes to details. Things like taxes, and library books. I'm sure that in time he will figure things out, but for now he's not even old enough to drink and still wet behind the ears. So last fall he is fresh home from boot camp and coming up on his first weekend drill. In the course of prepping he's decked out in his camo uni and there are no patches on it. No flag, no unit designation, nothing except maybe his name. I have visions of him getting his ass beat at his very first drill for not being squared away, so I start arguing with him that there must be SOMETHING that's to be sewn on. My wife is worrying all over again and one of the younger guys runs to get me the sewing basket (through some quirk this is my job in the house). But the kid is insistent: “no, I don’t need anything.” I’m like “even when I was in the Webelos we had shit all over our uniforms,” to which he replied “it’s the Army that wears unit patches.”
So there you go. No patches for the Marines.


He would be correct. The Jarheads don't have much on their fatigues. Just name, branch, rank and the USMC logo as I remember. Tell him not to sew that rank on until E-4, though, or people will think he wants to stay that rank
Sew rank on utilities? In USMCyou don't sew on rank to utilities. Rank insignia is pinned on the collar. big debate now is changing from the matte black to having brushed brass because apparently they are hard to discern on the new digital camouflage (which is probably true and the change is driven by some cranky pouge who got butthurt when some one didn't respect his sloppy ass because his rank wasn't immediately discernible)

Marines don't have much of anything on any uniform really. Especially as compared with the Army. Good lord, inspections must be ridiculous with all the gee gaws all over the place. Marines... it's just rank, ribbons/medals, weapons quals, jump wings, aviation wings, or scuba bubbles.. and make sure those EGAs are anchors inboard. the only bit of flair that is unusual is that 5th and 6th Marines can wear the French Fourrigere. Also, when I was in, utilities were not authorized for any off base wear other than commuting directly from home to base...no stops allowed. IIRC, that has been relaxed somewhat, but to no where near the level the Army does.

Re: stolen valor type shenanigans, a buddy of mine works for the NFL in NYC. Earlier this summer DeAngelo Williams tweeted out that he gave up his seat to a Marine... ooh rah and all that. My buddy shoots me a text saying something like "hey, check this out... this is blowing up all over the NFL twitters https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4841_n.jpg people are saying the guy is a fake.. is this guy a fake?"

There was very little about the guy that was correct. First and foremost the Dress Blue Alphas aren't authorized to just wear whenever. Its the most formal uniform and generally one requires permission or is directed to wear it. If you're going to wear a uniform in transit, it's the Service Alphas(Green uniform). It's like traveling in a white tie and tails vs. business attire. So right there it's fake. Then there is the cover indoors... boot? sure, it happens. a Master Gunnery Sergeant with what looked like at least 21 years of service ? no fucking way. Then you start looking at the medals and the precedence and then no ribbons and the marksmanship badge randomly on there. it's just a whole bag of WTF. It's almost funny. I mean what gets me about these guys is that one could EASILY google all the MCOs, or whatever service you're looking to impersonate's directives, on uniform wear. These are not state secrets and you can order anything on the interwebs. If you're going to go out and buy all that stuff and parade around in it, wouldn't you actually want to pass for legit instead of being confronted and mocked (or beaten) by everyone you come across?

Anyway, I responded to my friend that there is no way this guy is for real. I guess the NFL was all in a tizzy about it at the time. I felt like an insider in a "news" story for about 30 seconds.
User avatar
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 am

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby Toolbox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Sterile Whites 48313 wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:This morning was just one more living example where the interwebs has changed life for the better. My single-handle shiwer fixture was dripping from the spout, and five minutes in I realized that I'd never seen one quite like this. Years agi I went to fix a leak and due ti ignorance ended up needing to take the next day off fron work to replace the entire bloody fixture, solder my ass off and generally waste a lot of time and money. Today though, thanks to YouTube, I pulled and watches a couple of instructional vids and thus was back in business in under an hour. The world is so much smaller and knowledge is so much more accessible, and for someone with even a sliver of ambition this is a good thing.

Remeber when the web was only about porn? Not no more.


Trust me Frank, the porn has improved along with everything else...



Except his spelling.
User avatar
Toolbox
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Lovin' it in the burbs

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby D-Day » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:08 am

higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:

NSFW for language

I can't believe this butterball PX Warrior survived this encounter without a serious ass whipping..........The amount of disrespect here is astonishing

And apparently, dude was seen again, this time wearing the patch ensemble (including the Ranger tab) on his right shoulder and the flag upside down and was confronted again resulting in a vet being arrested.. So a bit of clarity, here. First, wearing that flag patch upside down is tantamount to burning it when worn on a uniform. Second unit patches are represented following way (at least when I was in)...I can't imagine it has changed. Current unit and any award tabs (Ranger , Special Forces) worn on the left shoulder. Last unit served in combat on the right, so wearing anything on the right shoulder is also the highest amount of disrespect. These are big fucking deals to anyone who served. The uniform is a big fucking deal.....

I had a situation similar to this in college. Good friend of mine was an E-4 MP in the Reserves and I was an E-5 in the Reserves. We're in Dooley's in East Lansing and MP sees a couple Guardsmen in fatigues and wearing their headgear inside.....Uniform 101 no-no on two levels a.) You're really not supposed to be in the bar in fatigues on a Friday night b.) If you're inside, the hat comes off unless you're under arms. So MP goes down there to tell them to get in uniform or get out and they proceed to tell him to fuck off. Because I still held NCO rank and had my ID card (which is supposed to be in your possession 24-7-365), MP comes back and gets me and I go to the table and plop down the ID card. I ask dudes if they're illegally in possession of a weapon in an establishment that serves alcohol and they tells me no, so I go into the low SGT voice and tell them that need not be disrespecting myself and MP by showing up out of uniform and to un-fucking-cover. Then I notice one of them has a set of (pin on) jump wings (another no-no -- once a paratrooper always a paratrooper so you get those puppies sewn on first chance you get...like before you leave Fort Benning) so I ask what his five points of contact are. When he looks at me funny, I tell him he's no paratroop (it's been thirty years since I went to jump school and I can still you what these five points are), and now you just need to straight up get the fuck out before I get angry, start checking IDs, and figure out how to contact your CO....and they left

I can't believe this Ranger didn't rip that fucker to shreds


Kind of related...

My little guy, the Marine reservist, is sort of an airhead when it comes to details. Things like taxes, and library books. I'm sure that in time he will figure things out, but for now he's not even old enough to drink and still wet behind the ears. So last fall he is fresh home from boot camp and coming up on his first weekend drill. In the course of prepping he's decked out in his camo uni and there are no patches on it. No flag, no unit designation, nothing except maybe his name. I have visions of him getting his ass beat at his very first drill for not being squared away, so I start arguing with him that there must be SOMETHING that's to be sewn on. My wife is worrying all over again and one of the younger guys runs to get me the sewing basket (through some quirk this is my job in the house). But the kid is insistent: “no, I don’t need anything.” I’m like “even when I was in the Webelos we had shit all over our uniforms,” to which he replied “it’s the Army that wears unit patches.”
So there you go. No patches for the Marines.


He would be correct. The Jarheads don't have much on their fatigues. Just name, branch, rank and the USMC logo as I remember. Tell him not to sew that rank on until E-4, though, or people will think he wants to stay that rank
Sew rank on utilities? In USMCyou don't sew on rank to utilities. Rank insignia is pinned on the collar. big debate now is changing from the matte black to having brushed brass because apparently they are hard to discern on the new digital camouflage (which is probably true and the change is driven by some cranky pouge who got butthurt when some one didn't respect his sloppy ass because his rank wasn't immediately discernible)

Marines don't have much of anything on any uniform really. Especially as compared with the Army. Good lord, inspections must be ridiculous with all the gee gaws all over the place. Marines... it's just rank, ribbons/medals, weapons quals, jump wings, aviation wings, or scuba bubbles.. and make sure those EGAs are anchors inboard. the only bit of flair that is unusual is that 5th and 6th Marines can wear the French Fourrigere. Also, when I was in, utilities were not authorized for any off base wear other than commuting directly from home to base...no stops allowed. IIRC, that has been relaxed somewhat, but to no where near the level the Army does.

Re: stolen valor type shenanigans, a buddy of mine works for the NFL in NYC. Earlier this summer DeAngelo Williams tweeted out that he gave up his seat to a Marine... ooh rah and all that. My buddy shoots me a text saying something like "hey, check this out... this is blowing up all over the NFL twitters https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4841_n.jpg people are saying the guy is a fake.. is this guy a fake?"

There was very little about the guy that was correct. First and foremost the Dress Blue Alphas aren't authorized to just wear whenever. Its the most formal uniform and generally one requires permission or is directed to wear it. If you're going to wear a uniform in transit, it's the Service Alphas(Green uniform). It's like traveling in a white tie and tails vs. business attire. So right there it's fake. Then there is the cover indoors... boot? sure, it happens. a Master Gunnery Sergeant with what looked like at least 21 years of service ? no fucking way. Then you start looking at the medals and the precedence and then no ribbons and the marksmanship badge randomly on there. it's just a whole bag of WTF. It's almost funny. I mean what gets me about these guys is that one could EASILY google all the MCOs, or whatever service you're looking to impersonate's directives, on uniform wear. These are not state secrets and you can order anything on the interwebs. If you're going to go out and buy all that stuff and parade around in it, wouldn't you actually want to pass for legit instead of being confronted and mocked (or beaten) by everyone you come across?

Anyway, I responded to my friend that there is no way this guy is for real. I guess the NFL was all in a tizzy about it at the time. I felt like an insider in a "news" story for about 30 seconds.


Come to think of it, Higgs, I don't ever remember the Marines having much on their uniforms.....even their dress uniforms. How did you distinguish the real Marines from the REMFs? A lot of the flair on an Army uniform are unit decorations (like the French Fourragere (pictured below); I wore that when I was in the 82d. We called it the rape whistle). My Class As in the 82d Airborne with one ribbon looked better than my Class As when I got out (I was in a pogue unit), even though, by then, I earned a pretty good rack of ribbons (7)

Image

As far as fatigues, I guess we had a lot more than you guys did, too. Name, branch, unit patch, a few awards (Combat Infantry/Medic Badge or Expert Infantry/Medic Badge, jump wings, Bullwinkle badge, Pathfinder, etc.). But most soldiers in the Army were pretty plain. I had an Airborne tab when I was in the 82d and carried my jump wings with me when I left there for Korea, but that was it. If you are a tabbed Ranger or tabbed SF (or both), you keep that tab with you wherever you go, too

When I was in, the policy on BDUs off post was the same. You got your ass home and changed. Period. No stops off post. It still rankles me ever so slightly to see someone in fatigues today even though I know that's it OK to be out in them now. I know this is going to sound petty, but, The Concubine's boyfriend is a reservist and he showed up at the house to pick up the B-Durl a couple weeks ago looking like a complete dirtbag . Unbloused boots, just an (untucked) t-shirt. I made him go home and change and told him don't ever show up at my house again looking like that again. People died wearing that uniform. The least you can do is respect it. Cross post to Things That Just Get Under My Skin
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby Mad Max » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:04 pm

User avatar
Mad Max
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:14 am

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby higgs1634 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 am

D-Day wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:
Come to think of it, Higgs, I don't ever remember the Marines having much on their uniforms.....even their dress uniforms. How did you distinguish the real Marines from the REMFs?
You really can't when in utilities... maybe if you're jump or scuba qual'd you get some distinction... but I was basically a pogue prior to MSG duty and I was offered a spot at jump school. (We had a quota and it was going unfilled... typical government mentality, never let a spot go unfilled or you lose the headcount next time around.) So, yea, basically REMF are hard to distinguish. Ribbons and medals are the only way. If you're just rocking the National Defense and Good Conduct Medal and nothing else...pretty obvious. end of the day though, active duty Corps is pretty small, if you're the real deal, people know or can find out pretty quick.

A lot of the flair on an Army uniform are unit decorations (like the French Fourragere (pictured below); I wore that when I was in the 82d. We called it the rape whistle).
ha. yea, it was the rape whistle for USMC too. a Sgt I was under as a boot on Oki was PCSing back to 6th Marines. one day I apparently looked like I needed something to do so he told me to go to the PX to get some things for him...and to pick up a rape whistle if they had any. It was just before one of these stupid "stand downs" we'd have for "safety briefs". you know sitting through a lecture on stuff like; don't go out in the 'ville get hammered and start punching the working girls. I really thought he wanted an actual whistle.. I thought he needed it for his part of the stand down brief. So I came back with an actual whistle. Did not live that down for quite a while. After that I got them all... go get 100yrds of flight line, pick up some chem light batteries...go grab the keys to the Humvee...etc. (even as a boot, i knew better on those)

When I was in, the policy on BDUs off post was the same. You got your ass home and changed. Period. No stops off post. It still rankles me ever so slightly to see someone in fatigues today even though I know that's it OK to be out in them now
I do a double take every time I see it. It's weird to me. From a comfort level, completely makes sense, but it's just a bad look off base.

I know this is going to sound petty, but, The Concubine's boyfriend is a reservist and he showed up at the house to pick up the B-Durl a couple weeks ago looking like a complete dirtbag . Unbloused boots, just an (untucked) t-shirt. I made him go home and change and told him don't ever show up at my house again looking like that again. People died wearing that uniform. The least you can do is respect it. Cross post to Things That Just Get Under My Skin
I don't think that's petty at all. Kid missed some knowledge during boot camp if he thinks that's appropriate.
User avatar
higgs1634
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 am

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby D-Day » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:49 am

higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:
Come to think of it, Higgs, I don't ever remember the Marines having much on their uniforms.....even their dress uniforms. How did you distinguish the real Marines from the REMFs?
You really can't when in utilities... maybe if you're jump or scuba qual'd you get some distinction... but I was basically a pogue prior to MSG duty and I was offered a spot at jump school. (We had a quota and it was going unfilled... typical government mentality, never let a spot go unfilled or you lose the headcount next time around.) So, yea, basically REMF are hard to distinguish. Ribbons and medals are the only way. If you're just rocking the National Defense and Good Conduct Medal and nothing else...pretty obvious. end of the day though, active duty Corps is pretty small, if you're the real deal, people know or can find out pretty quick.

A lot of the flair on an Army uniform are unit decorations (like the French Fourragere (pictured below); I wore that when I was in the 82d. We called it the rape whistle).
ha. yea, it was the rape whistle for USMC too. a Sgt I was under as a boot on Oki was PCSing back to 6th Marines. one day I apparently looked like I needed something to do so he told me to go to the PX to get some things for him...and to pick up a rape whistle if they had any. It was just before one of these stupid "stand downs" we'd have for "safety briefs". you know sitting through a lecture on stuff like; don't go out in the 'ville get hammered and start punching the working girls. I really thought he wanted an actual whistle.. I thought he needed it for his part of the stand down brief. So I came back with an actual whistle. Did not live that down for quite a while. After that I got them all... go get 100yrds of flight line, pick up some chem light batteries...go grab the keys to the Humvee...etc. (even as a boot, i knew better on those)

When I was in, the policy on BDUs off post was the same. You got your ass home and changed. Period. No stops off post. It still rankles me ever so slightly to see someone in fatigues today even though I know that's it OK to be out in them now
I do a double take every time I see it. It's weird to me. From a comfort level, completely makes sense, but it's just a bad look off base.

I know this is going to sound petty, but, The Concubine's boyfriend is a reservist and he showed up at the house to pick up the B-Durl a couple weeks ago looking like a complete dirtbag . Unbloused boots, just an (untucked) t-shirt. I made him go home and change and told him don't ever show up at my house looking like that again. People died wearing that uniform. The least you can do is respect it. Cross post to Things That Just Get Under My Skin
I don't think that's petty at all. Kid missed some knowledge during boot camp if he thinks that's appropriate.


That's an awesome story about the whistle. And, yeah, I'll bet it took awhile to live that down. We used to send our cherries up to supply for boxes of grid squares, canopy lights, etc. You're a cherry in the 82d until you can spell paratrooper in jumps on your jump log...and that is what you are called (Come here, cherry!!) until you are "popped" at which point you get your name back.

I sent one kid who was fresh from jump school up for canopy lights and he said, "Why would you need light on a canopy?.

"Well, how the fuck are you going to know where to turn your chute in if you don't have lights on your canopy to match the lights at each turn in point on the drop zone?

And off to supply he went.......you could bet that when a cherry showed up the supply room looking for a box of grid squares that the cherry was went to every supply room in the brigade on a wild goose chase. This way he could chewed out for not only not having the aforementioned grid squares, but also for taking to damn long. This happened to me, too. I got sent for the 3/4" fogcutters because we were going out to the field.......it was like a rite of passage

We used to get that same safety briefing every Friday at final formation. Best one was my first CO at Fort Bragg.
"Men, if you drink, don't drive. If you drive, don't drink. If you do it and get caught, you'll read about it." Every Friday. Like clockwork
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby middle aged female » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 am

D-Day wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:
Come to think of it, Higgs, I don't ever remember the Marines having much on their uniforms.....even their dress uniforms. How did you distinguish the real Marines from the REMFs?
You really can't when in utilities... maybe if you're jump or scuba qual'd you get some distinction... but I was basically a pogue prior to MSG duty and I was offered a spot at jump school. (We had a quota and it was going unfilled... typical government mentality, never let a spot go unfilled or you lose the headcount next time around.) So, yea, basically REMF are hard to distinguish. Ribbons and medals are the only way. If you're just rocking the National Defense and Good Conduct Medal and nothing else...pretty obvious. end of the day though, active duty Corps is pretty small, if you're the real deal, people know or can find out pretty quick.

A lot of the flair on an Army uniform are unit decorations (like the French Fourragere (pictured below); I wore that when I was in the 82d. We called it the rape whistle).
ha. yea, it was the rape whistle for USMC too. a Sgt I was under as a boot on Oki was PCSing back to 6th Marines. one day I apparently looked like I needed something to do so he told me to go to the PX to get some things for him...and to pick up a rape whistle if they had any. It was just before one of these stupid "stand downs" we'd have for "safety briefs". you know sitting through a lecture on stuff like; don't go out in the 'ville get hammered and start punching the working girls. I really thought he wanted an actual whistle.. I thought he needed it for his part of the stand down brief. So I came back with an actual whistle. Did not live that down for quite a while. After that I got them all... go get 100yrds of flight line, pick up some chem light batteries...go grab the keys to the Humvee...etc. (even as a boot, i knew better on those)

When I was in, the policy on BDUs off post was the same. You got your ass home and changed. Period. No stops off post. It still rankles me ever so slightly to see someone in fatigues today even though I know that's it OK to be out in them now
I do a double take every time I see it. It's weird to me. From a comfort level, completely makes sense, but it's just a bad look off base.

I know this is going to sound petty, but, The Concubine's boyfriend is a reservist and he showed up at the house to pick up the B-Durl a couple weeks ago looking like a complete dirtbag . Unbloused boots, just an (untucked) t-shirt. I made him go home and change and told him don't ever show up at my house looking like that again. People died wearing that uniform. The least you can do is respect it. Cross post to Things That Just Get Under My Skin
I don't think that's petty at all. Kid missed some knowledge during boot camp if he thinks that's appropriate.


That's an awesome story about the whistle. And, yeah, I'll bet it took awhile to live that down. We used to send our cherries up to supply for boxes of grid squares, canopy lights, etc. You're a cherry in the 82d until you can spell paratrooper in jumps on your jump log...and that is what you are called (Come here, cherry!!) until you are "popped" at which point you get your name back.

I sent one kid who was fresh from jump school up for canopy lights and he said, "Why would you need light on a canopy?.

"Well, how the fuck are you going to know where to turn your chute in if you don't have lights on your canopy to match the lights at each turn in point on the drop zone?

And off to supply he went.......you could bet that when a cherry showed up the supply room looking for a box of grid squares that the cherry was went to every supply room in the brigade on a wild goose chase. This way he could chewed out for not only not having the aforementioned grid squares, but also for taking to damn long. This happened to me, too. I got sent for the 3/4" fogcutters because we were going out to the field.......it was like a rite of passage

We used to get that same safety briefing every Friday at final formation. Best one was my first CO at Fort Bragg.
"Men, if you drink, don't drive. If you drive, don't drink. If you do it and get caught, you'll read about it." Every Friday. Like clockwork

A friend of mine's brother sent her to the hardware store to get him a left-handed wooden-handled screwdriver and told her that it HAD to be left-handed or he couldn't use it. I guess she stood there and argued with the clerk for half an hour before it dawned on her that there all the same
User avatar
middle aged female
Hot Fudge Designated Driver
 
Posts: 7407
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby D-Day » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:31 pm

middle aged female wrote:
D-Day wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
higgs1634 wrote:
D-Day wrote:
frank - up in grand blanc wrote:
D-Day wrote:
Come to think of it, Higgs, I don't ever remember the Marines having much on their uniforms.....even their dress uniforms. How did you distinguish the real Marines from the REMFs?
You really can't when in utilities... maybe if you're jump or scuba qual'd you get some distinction... but I was basically a pogue prior to MSG duty and I was offered a spot at jump school. (We had a quota and it was going unfilled... typical government mentality, never let a spot go unfilled or you lose the headcount next time around.) So, yea, basically REMF are hard to distinguish. Ribbons and medals are the only way. If you're just rocking the National Defense and Good Conduct Medal and nothing else...pretty obvious. end of the day though, active duty Corps is pretty small, if you're the real deal, people know or can find out pretty quick.

A lot of the flair on an Army uniform are unit decorations (like the French Fourragere (pictured below); I wore that when I was in the 82d. We called it the rape whistle).
ha. yea, it was the rape whistle for USMC too. a Sgt I was under as a boot on Oki was PCSing back to 6th Marines. one day I apparently looked like I needed something to do so he told me to go to the PX to get some things for him...and to pick up a rape whistle if they had any. It was just before one of these stupid "stand downs" we'd have for "safety briefs". you know sitting through a lecture on stuff like; don't go out in the 'ville get hammered and start punching the working girls. I really thought he wanted an actual whistle.. I thought he needed it for his part of the stand down brief. So I came back with an actual whistle. Did not live that down for quite a while. After that I got them all... go get 100yrds of flight line, pick up some chem light batteries...go grab the keys to the Humvee...etc. (even as a boot, i knew better on those)

When I was in, the policy on BDUs off post was the same. You got your ass home and changed. Period. No stops off post. It still rankles me ever so slightly to see someone in fatigues today even though I know that's it OK to be out in them now
I do a double take every time I see it. It's weird to me. From a comfort level, completely makes sense, but it's just a bad look off base.

I know this is going to sound petty, but, The Concubine's boyfriend is a reservist and he showed up at the house to pick up the B-Durl a couple weeks ago looking like a complete dirtbag . Unbloused boots, just an (untucked) t-shirt. I made him go home and change and told him don't ever show up at my house looking like that again. People died wearing that uniform. The least you can do is respect it. Cross post to Things That Just Get Under My Skin
I don't think that's petty at all. Kid missed some knowledge during boot camp if he thinks that's appropriate.


That's an awesome story about the whistle. And, yeah, I'll bet it took awhile to live that down. We used to send our cherries up to supply for boxes of grid squares, canopy lights, etc. You're a cherry in the 82d until you can spell paratrooper in jumps on your jump log...and that is what you are called (Come here, cherry!!) until you are "popped" at which point you get your name back.

I sent one kid who was fresh from jump school up for canopy lights and he said, "Why would you need light on a canopy?.

"Well, how the fuck are you going to know where to turn your chute in if you don't have lights on your canopy to match the lights at each turn in point on the drop zone?

And off to supply he went.......you could bet that when a cherry showed up the supply room looking for a box of grid squares that the cherry was went to every supply room in the brigade on a wild goose chase. This way he could chewed out for not only not having the aforementioned grid squares, but also for taking to damn long. This happened to me, too. I got sent for the 3/4" fogcutters because we were going out to the field.......it was like a rite of passage

We used to get that same safety briefing every Friday at final formation. Best one was my first CO at Fort Bragg.
"Men, if you drink, don't drive. If you drive, don't drink. If you do it and get caught, you'll read about it." Every Friday. Like clockwork

A friend of mine's brother sent her to the hardware store to get him a left-handed wooden-handled screwdriver and told her that it HAD to be left-handed or he couldn't use it. I guess she stood there and argued with the clerk for half an hour before it dawned on her that there all the same


Image
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby Shark » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:45 pm



Can't believe I've never seen this.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
User avatar
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 4178
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Not Detroit, MI

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby Morty » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Shark wrote:

Can't believe I've never seen this.



This was a guilty pleasure when I worked at the Pentastar.
Hot Fudge Detroit plywood king
User avatar
Morty
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: in the plywood district

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby D-Day » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:29 am

I think we may have found a replacement for Alison Brie gifs.........

Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby Mulligan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:56 pm

D-Day wrote:I think we may have found a replacement for Alison Brie gifs.........


That's unpossible!
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5246
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby D-Day » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Mulligan wrote:
D-Day wrote:I think we may have found a replacement for Alison Brie gifs.........


That's unpossible!


How about something equal to Alison Brie gifs?
Where the hell am I going? And what the hell am I doing in this handbasket?
User avatar
D-Day
Hot Fudge Sniper
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Keeping Kentucky away from the rest of you

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby Mulligan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:33 am

I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't 'it,' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.
User avatar
Mulligan
Hot Fudge Parcopresis Sufferer
 
Posts: 5246
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:32 am
Location: board room

Re: YouTube Hall of Fame

Postby The Suburban Avenger » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:00 pm

My hand to God, she's gonna be at Carnegie Hall. But you - I'll let you have her now at the old price, OK? Which is, which is anything you wanna give me. Anything at all.
User avatar
The Suburban Avenger
HFD Widely Published Freelance Writer
 
Posts: 6707
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: About $8.25 in tolls from Chicago.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest

cron