Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Views, tours and other images of Detroit

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby The Beav » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 am

caseyc wrote:congratulations are in order.


How many months overdue?
User avatar
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy
 
Posts: 12399
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Reruns.

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Ya Mar » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:24 pm

My quick calculations show that it has been 790+ days since the fencing went up, and this thread was started.

The stock market has still going UP when this started.

The Pistons were marching toward their 5th consecutive conference finals appearance.

The Red Wings were about to get bounced by the Ducks - and Hasek was still the starting goalie.

Susanarosa had no ring so she was stil techincally available.

Chad had not yet taken possession of his dream home.

We were still all reading Sports blog on a daily basis.

The bricks were just being laid at the riverwalk.

Most of us were still posting in some form on DY.

Any other memories of what has transpired since they put up the fence on May 3rd, 2007?
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
User avatar
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Ya Mar wrote:My quick calculations show that it has been 790+ days since the fencing went up, and this thread was started.

The stock market has still going UP when this started.

The Pistons were marching toward their 5th consecutive conference finals appearance.

The Red Wings were about to get bounced by the Ducks - and Hasek was still the starting goalie.

Susanarosa had no ring so she was stil techincally available.

Chad had not yet taken possession of his dream home.

We were still all reading Sports blog on a daily basis.

The bricks were just being laid at the riverwalk.

Most of us were still posting in some form on DY.

Any other memories of what has transpired since they put up the fence on May 3rd, 2007?


Michael Jackson was still alive.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Ya Mar » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Andy wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:My quick calculations show that it has been 790+ days since the fencing went up, and this thread was started.

The stock market has still going UP when this started.

The Pistons were marching toward their 5th consecutive conference finals appearance.

The Red Wings were about to get bounced by the Ducks - and Hasek was still the starting goalie.

Susanarosa had no ring so she was stil techincally available.

Chad had not yet taken possession of his dream home.

We were still all reading Sports blog on a daily basis.

The bricks were just being laid at the riverwalk.

Most of us were still posting in some form on DY.

Any other memories of what has transpired since they put up the fence on May 3rd, 2007?


Michael Jackson was still alive.


Ansel hadn't quit yet.
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
User avatar
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Doctor Detroit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Ya Mar wrote:
Andy wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:My quick calculations show that it has been 790+ days since the fencing went up, and this thread was started.

The stock market has still going UP when this started.

The Pistons were marching toward their 5th consecutive conference finals appearance.

The Red Wings were about to get bounced by the Ducks - and Hasek was still the starting goalie.

Susanarosa had no ring so she was stil techincally available.

Chad had not yet taken possession of his dream home.

We were still all reading Sports blog on a daily basis.

The bricks were just being laid at the riverwalk.

Most of us were still posting in some form on DY.

Any other memories of what has transpired since they put up the fence on May 3rd, 2007?


Michael Jackson was still alive.


Ansel hadn't quit yet.


That bridge in Minnesota collapsed, sparking concern over other old bridges in America, which quickly subsided so I guess we must be safe now.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
User avatar
Doctor Detroit
HFD Charlie Sheen Fan Club President
 
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Ya Mar wrote:
Andy wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:My quick calculations show that it has been 790+ days since the fencing went up, and this thread was started.

The stock market has still going UP when this started.

The Pistons were marching toward their 5th consecutive conference finals appearance.

The Red Wings were about to get bounced by the Ducks - and Hasek was still the starting goalie.

Susanarosa had no ring so she was stil techincally available.

Chad had not yet taken possession of his dream home.

We were still all reading Sports blog on a daily basis.

The bricks were just being laid at the riverwalk.

Most of us were still posting in some form on DY.

Any other memories of what has transpired since they put up the fence on May 3rd, 2007?


Michael Jackson was still alive.


Ansel hadn't quit yet.


Kwame Kilpatrick and family were still living the life.

Monica Conyers/Martha Reeves were still under the radar.

Joann Watson was blissfully paying $68 in property taxes.

The FBI were lurking in the weeds (aka uncut grass).
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby The Beav » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:11 pm

I was drinking Kessler.
User avatar
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy
 
Posts: 12399
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Reruns.

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Ya Mar » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:00 pm

The Beav wrote:I was drinking Kessler.


Are you not drinking?
"Before indoor plumbing and chlorination of the water supply, outliving dysentery required an intestinal fortitude that was considered special. These kids today don’t even give dysentery a second thought."
User avatar
Ya Mar
Hot Fudge Salsa Swing
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby The Beav » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Ya Mar wrote:
The Beav wrote:I was drinking Kessler.


Are you not drinking?


Sorry. Mis-posted myself. I blame the whiskey.
User avatar
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy
 
Posts: 12399
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Reruns.

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby hoog » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:52 pm

The Beav wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:
The Beav wrote:I was drinking Kessler.


Are you not drinking?


Sorry. Mis-posted myself. I blame the whiskey.


Image

You know...
User avatar
hoog
Dr. Rosen Rosen
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:03 pm
Location: on the original HFD

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby The Beav » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:28 pm

hoog wrote:
The Beav wrote:
Ya Mar wrote:
The Beav wrote:I was drinking Kessler.


Are you not drinking?


Sorry. Mis-posted myself. I blame the whiskey.


Image

You know...


I'm so ashamed.
User avatar
The Beav
Hot Fudge Bundy
 
Posts: 12399
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Reruns.

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 pm

The new Rosa Parks Transit Center, set to open Tuesday, is an open, airy space designed to protect bus passengers from the elements and offer a respite for riders, with striking white canopies that liven up an otherwise dull area of downtown.

It packs a lot into a tight space at the corner of Michigan and Cass: 15 bus bays for 21 Detroit Department of Transportation bus routes, as well as connections with SMART, the suburban bus system; Transit Windsor buses, and taxi stands.

Inside, two levels open to the public offer restrooms, a cashier station for bus fares, and information and security booths. The feel is modern and clean. The facility’s exterior is mostly aluminum-framed windows. Stairway handrails are stainless steel and ceiling tiles aluminum.

Users will find seating inside as well as four areas the city said will house retail outlets, possibly restaurant, café or newsstand-type stores.

Outside, under the whimsical, glass-coated fiber canopies, riders may sit on benches and check electronic signs announcing arrival times for buses based on real-time GPS coordinates.

It’s a thoroughly modern facility that has the feel of an airport terminal. The transit center’s architect, Tushar Advani of Parsons Brinckerhoff, said he took inspiration from the image of an airplane wing in the clouds when designing the sharply angled building and the adjacent covered area.

“There aren’t a lot of facilities like this, particularly for buses,” Advani said during a media tour of the center this morning. “We didn’t want to create another fortress in Detroit.”

The aim, he said, was an iconic facility that provides “a comfortable, respectful and safe environment” for transit users. The center replaces a terminal at Capitol Park.

The $22.5-million center is between the People Mover’s Michigan and Times Square stations and ultimately may connect to the light-rail system. Interim DDOT Director Lovevett Williams said the transit center will open to the public at 10 a.m. Tuesday.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090709/C ... n-airy-gem
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Day 1, right?

Image

Image
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
User avatar
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief
 
Posts: 12661
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Grand Circus Park West

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby wolf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Andy wrote:Day 1, right?

Tomorrow.
User avatar
wolf
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:31 am
Location: the wilderness

Re: Rosa Parks Transit Center construction

Postby Shark » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Do I see some litter in that shrubbery?
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
User avatar
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular
 
Posts: 4178
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Not Detroit, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures of Detroit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest