Hot Fudge Monica Conyers Time

About all things in and around the Detroit area

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:15 pm

So we're at Louie's on Mack Avenue and look who showed up?

Hey, just park anywhere Monica, it's not like it's the lunch rush or anything. You come first.

I'm sure she's ready for a nap.

I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby Megatron » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Amadeus wrote:
Heywood McCrakin wrote:ya gotta love the Burberry hat.

how much does her position pay her anyways?

wonder if she got it at the Burberry store in Somerset?

She's just classy enough to make me wonder if that's a knock-off.

Based on the fact that the plaid doesn't line up everywhere, I would guess it's a knock off
Megatron
Hot Fudge Former Kool Aid Drinker

Postby Woodwards Friend » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Andy wrote:Image

Is she tucking her napkin into her shirt collar? Did she order the whole lobster or is she just a slob?
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Woodwards Friend wrote:

Is she tucking her napkin into her shirt collar? Did she order the whole lobster or is she just a slob?

She didn't eat there, she was waiting for a huge carry out. She was wearing a full length mink coat. It was really classy.
I want to give you one of my coffee mugs. You'll be surprised at how they nice they are. I was. - Marvin Crawford
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 pm

Andy wrote:
Woodwards Friend wrote:

She didn't eat there, she was waiting for a huge carry out. She was wearing a full length mink coat. It was really classy.

Couldn't help but notice that nobody at her table looks like me.
Hot Fudge Poor Dentition

Postby Woodwards Friend » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Andy wrote:
Woodwards Friend wrote:

Way to take up a table during the lunch rush to wait for a carry-out. That's a classic x = asshole move. I hope the waitron had one of the cooks spit in Monica's food.
Looking back I realize what it takes to be successful and what a job success really is. - John Conyers III
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby ldodger » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Megatron wrote:
Amadeus wrote:

She's just classy enough to make me wonder if that's a knock-off.

Based on the fact that the plaid doesn't line up everywhere, I would guess it's a knock off

I thought it was a knock-off too, until I looked at the cap online. Ugh...

http://www.burberryusaonline.com/produc ... age=family

That's some ugly stuff. Fancy that, $150 for a hat. I bought a beautiful cap for my husband at Henry the Hatter for less than $50.
ldodger
Hot Fudge Demented Old Woman

Postby frank - up in grand blanc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm

guest wrote:

You prob'ly know this but the Burberry pattern has been adopted by the hip-hop/rap community, or at least it was a year ago. I understand that Burberry wasn't exactly happy about that. Monica was just displaying her ghetto credentials.

I think the council job pays about $80k/yr, which isn't bad considering most of them have no education or skills which would be of value in the private sector, but the big perk is that they oversee a substantial office budget with pretty much zero oversight, they can appoint friends and family to jobs and they're always open to gratuities from grateful constituents.

This brand was (is?) big with English soccer hoods. Pre-dates the hip-hop connection?
frank - up in grand blanc
HFD Marketing Consultant or Dumbass

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:03 pm

The Detroit City Council will meet at 5 p.m. today to consider a resolution to override Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr.’s Wednesday veto of the council's rejection of the Cobo Center deal. But at least three council members have said they will not be in attendance.

The same members, Kwame Kenyatta, Brenda Jones and Sheila Cockrel, voted Feb. 24 against a resolution to reject legislation, passed by the Legislature in December and signed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm in January, that transfers ownership of Cobo Center to a five-member regional authority with representatives from Detroit, the state and Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties.

Both Kenyatta and Sheila Cockrel said today they were not attending the meeting because the city’s charter explicitly does not permit a veto override in a special session, leaving the purpose of the meeting unclear.

“I think the veto is improper . . . I think the override is improper,” Kenyatta said. “If the veto is improper then there’s no need to override it.”

That sentiment was echoed today by the head of the council’s Research and Analysis Division, who recommened the council fight the veto in court.

David Whitaker issued a memo today warning the council could not override the veto in a special session. He also wrote that any override of the veto “by implication, that act will likely signal to the court that City Council had the belief that the mayor has the authority to exercise power the state statutes and case law indicates he does not have…Council’s ability to seek court relief will be weakened by this action.”

Whitaker recommended the council “seek an emergency stay to seek declaratory judgment and injunctive relief” of Cockrel’s veto in the courts.

Kenyatta said Mayor Cockrel’s veto is tantamount to approving the transfer of Cobo to the authority, which the state legislation does not give the mayor the power to do. The legislation only enumerated that the council could reject it.

“The legislation is clear. It supersedes the charter . . . it does not give the mayor any power to veto,” Kenyatta added. “Whether we like it or not, the council has acted as the legislation called.”

Council President Monica Conyers’ spokeswoman Denise Tolliver confirmed that Conyers went to the homes of all city council members Wednesday night to have them sign off on an agreement to hold the last-minute special session.

Conyers, Council President Pro Tem JoAnn Watson, and council members Barbara-Rose Collins and Martha Reeves signed the special session notice.

State Open Meetings law requires at least an 18-hour notice to the public of any special meeting, which must be posted where it is accessible by the public. It is not clear if the public posting requirement was met.

Meanwhile, the charter states that the council can override, or reconsider, a veto by the mayor “only at a regular meeting within one week after receipt of the mayor’s veto.” The council’s first regular meeting will not be held until Tuesday.

The deadline in the state legislation for the deal to become effective or for action to be taken is March 6.

The council would also need a 2/3rds vote, or six of the eight council members, to override the veto. The council’s voted 5-3 for the resolution rejecting the transfer of Cobo to the authority on Feb. 24. Collins, currently on medical leave from the council, is expected to attend the meeting today.

"I fully expect my veto to stand,” Mayor Cockrel said when he announced the veto Wednesday afternoon at Cobo, citing the authority to veto a council resolution provided by the city charter.

Daniel Cherrin, Cockrel's spokesman, said the council had 45 days to act on the legislation, and that Cockrel "gave them ample opportunity to reconsider their decision" when he sent them a letter Monday asking them to reconsider their vote.

"He followed through with the letter, acting within the time frame he was given," Cherrin said.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090305/N ... be+illegal
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby caseyc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:08 pm

that article made my head hurt. Both in content as well as delivery. The Freep's horrid website now requires you to click on multiple slow-loading pages in order to read articles. hatehatehatehate freep.com. am avoiding it now more than ever. bad before and worse now. end rant.

By the way, if you were a hypothetical event planner contemplating where to book your next convention, do you think this circus would make you more or less likely to select Detroit?

I have a feeling their bookings are going to hit a real dry patch in two or so years, after the current slate runs its course.
Make no new female acquaintances; avoid soirees; call on old friends occasionally. Write good letters to absent friends, and attend church once each Sunday.
caseyc
Hot Fudge Cincinista

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 pm

caseyc wrote:that article made my head hurt. Both in content as well as delivery. The Freep's horrid website now requires you to click on multiple slow-loading pages in order to read articles. hatehatehatehate freep.com. am avoiding it now more than ever. bad before and worse now. end rant.

It's horrible. I've seen that style on the NY Post website but at least they give you an option to view the complete article.

With the Freep, I'm clicking on the print page link and reading from there. It's still a pain in the ass though because it triggers a print menu on my computer.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

Postby MICHIGAN » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:23 pm

This thread may be the baest on the board, but MC makes my head hurt. I am fatigued.
Santa Cleopatra
MICHIGAN
Hot Fudge Board Game Builder

Postby Shark » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Andy wrote:
caseyc wrote:that article made my head hurt. Both in content as well as delivery. The Freep's horrid website now requires you to click on multiple slow-loading pages in order to read articles. hatehatehatehate freep.com. am avoiding it now more than ever. bad before and worse now. end rant.

It's horrible. I've seen that style on the NY Post website but at least they give you an option to view the complete article.

With the Freep, I'm clicking on the print page link and reading from there. It's still a pain in the ass though because it triggers a print menu on my computer.

I figured it was a scheme to increase their page views or something so they could increase their ad rates.
Hmmmm....maybe I should be a large map of metro Detroit for on my wall, so I better know the relationship of my city and the suburbs. - Supersport
Shark
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Woodwards Friend » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:50 pm

I've started going to the print view when I want to read an article. It's an extra step but at least I can read an entire article without interrupting the narrative to go to a new page.
Woodwards Friend
Hot Fudge Regular

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Shark wrote:
Andy wrote:

I figured it was a scheme to increase their page views or something so they could increase their ad rates.

It's sort of history repeating itself, printed papers and magazines will break up columns and articles in order to get more page views.
Andy
Hot Fudge Chief

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion